• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Windows Phone |OT2|

Status
Not open for further replies.

Milchjon

OG focus here.

So who's excited a out the June 20th conference? It will go a long way to convince me to keep buying WP, or it could tip the boat the other way.

Yeah, if it's another fiasco like their E3 press conference, I'd start to worry (even more).

What, no complaining about on{x}?

From what I've read, they had their reasons with that one. Still, MS has to figure out how to get the cool stuff on WP FIRST.

So, apparently an update from 7.x to 8.0 will definitely not be possible, due to the kernel change.

Instead Microsoft is working on a feature update for Windows Phone 7.5, which includes some or most of the Apollo features.
"Most customers won't care about the OS version, as long as they get the same features."

Milchjon

So, apparently an update from 7.x to 8.0 will definitely not be possible, due to the kernel change.

Instead Microsoft is working on a feature update for Windows Phone 7.5, which includes some or most of the Apollo features.
"Most customers won't care about the OS version, as long as they get the same features."

While I kinda agree with the last part, that doesn't really sound like the most elegant. Or efficient solution. Oh well.

While I kinda agree with the last part, that doesn't really sound like the most elegant. Or efficient solution. Oh well.

It's basically what Samsung did with some of their Android phones, that couldn't be upgraded to ICS, because they didn't have enough RAM.

JaggedSac

Will there be app compatibility? As in will WP7 able to use apps developed after WP8 is released.

Fjolle

So.. Another blog with anonymous sources...

Let's wait two weeks.. Until then i still trust that MS and Nokia aren't nuts.

frontieruk

anon said:
The publication reports  ”An update is not technically possible because Windows Mobile 8 uses different chip sets.”

Calling BS unless ms planned from the outset not to support older handsets

Fjolle

Yea.. Win8 supports single core processors. Arguing like that is retarded, and it happens to be the same point Thurrott gave.

kharma45

I don't see how the kernal change would matter, it'll still support ARM.

PG2G

There is no single ARM version. Every version has to be compiled for a different SoC. For example, Windows RT for Tegra 3 won't run on a Qualcomm S4 tablet.

I keep reading that but I never quite understood why it is any different than AMD/Intel. They don't use the same instruction set?

VanMardigan

has calmed down a bit.
Yeah, if they pull a Google (or actually do what they said they would) and deliver major changes to maps, IE, the market, the hubs, etc. 99% of people won't care that it's technically not Apollo.

I would still care. :(

One of the reasons the furor over android fragmentation died outside of fanboy and hardcore circles is that Google delivered updates to their key apps to gingerbread phones.

Vanillalite

Ask me about the GAF Notebook
I keep reading that but I never quite understood why it is any different than AMD/Intel. They don't use the same instruction set?

It's all driver support. As long as the driver support for the chipset is there it'll run. I get that each chipset needs to be individually supported (duh!) but it's not like the Win RT Kernel has to be redone or anything. It just has to have the obvious extra driver work put in.

Only cock block would be RAM limitations, but Win RT has a really small footprint even on the desktop. This would be the only area I could see screwing WP7 devices if they think they can't get the kernel small enough to still make the OS usable and not use up all of the 512 RAM.

PS: Put me in Troll's Camp. Still on my OG Focus and I can tell I probably should get a new battery in the next few months. I'm OOC in July though so instead of a battery I could go phone shopping OC. I need to see something teased because I have really mixed emotions about MS right now.

VanMardigan

has calmed down a bit.
Off or on contract, buying a phone in July is probably a bad idea regardless of platform. If I were forced, I'd probably buy a lumia or galaxy nexus off contract, then sell that in the fall when all the big guns come out.

giga

That "feature update" better include all the new APIs that developers will be able to target for WP8.

gcubed

I still won't believe it until I hear MS or Nokia say it. It had to be known early that this was the plan... it makes the beta phone ads all the more embarrassing.

Vanillalite

Off or on contract, buying a phone in July is probably a bad idea regardless of platform. If I were forced, I'd probably buy a lumia or galaxy nexus off contract, then sell that in the fall when all the big guns come out.

Oh I don't plan on actually getting something in July. More of I'm OOC so I'm ready to jump in as soon as the 1st big thing releases that catches my eye. So it's a rush of who can prove to me I should get that and get it out before the competition. :p

PG2G

July is bad for Windows Phone/iOS, but the SGSIII will only be a month old and the HTC One X probably only two.

JaggedSac

That "feature update" better include all the new APIs that developers will be able to target for WP8.

Correct. Otherwise all those WP7 owners will not be contributing to the WP8 developed app's consumer base. Which in turn, means that developers using WP8 APIs would essentially be starting with a base of 0. Which in turn means that for WP7 owners to get new apps, developers would need to still be making WP7 compatible versions. Which means that MS better make that easy as fuck. Fragmentation incoming fellows.

D4Danger

Unconfirmed Member
Apparently, Windows Phone will be the most popular smartphone by 2016.

iM69g.gif

SCHUEY F1

Unconfirmed Member
If your looking for another multiplayer WP game, Battleship is now available

On another note, where is Carcassonne?? Probably waiting for Apollo :(

VanMardigan

has calmed down a bit.
July is bad for Windows Phone/iOS, but the SGSIII will only be a month old and the HTC One X probably only two.

Both of those phones are nice, but if it were my money and 2 year contract, I'd wait. I think we will have a rush of awesome phones in the fall, if you're not buying those two phones on release it would be better to wait rather than use up your valuable contract upgrade.

One X doesn't have removable battery and expandable storage (both important to android), Galaxy S3 is one of the ugliest phones in existence, never bothered to update its camera hardware, and comes with a pentile screen. We will get better this fall.

SCHUEY F1

Unconfirmed Member
One of my buddies has to get a new phone for work soon. I want him to hold out until the fall, but I don't think he can so I'm trying to convince him to get a 900. Wish we had Apollo news already.

PG2G

Both of those phones are nice, but if it were my money and 2 year contract, I'd wait. I think we will have a rush of awesome phones in the fall, if you're not buying those two phones on release it would be better to wait rather than use up your valuable contract upgrade.

One X doesn't have removable battery and expandable storage (both important to android), Galaxy S3 is one of the ugliest phones in existence, never bothered to update its camera hardware, and comes with a pentile screen. We will get better this fall.

You think so? From what I've noticed, Android are OEMs are pretty much on a one year cycle as well and I think Samsung and HTC have already played their hands.

Anything that comes out after this is going to be some minor variation of the SGSIII and HTC One. Last year from Samsung we got... the SGSII, SGSII with LTE, and SGSII with big screen (Note).

I guess there is a chance for someone like LG (I think there is a rumor that they will have a quad S4) can stir things up a little.

kehs

Banned

It's nice to dream eh?

Vanillalite

Hate on me GAF, but I think a Galaxy Note II either Android or Windows Phone style might be cool. As each day passes the cooler that sounds to me.

giga

The Google Maps dude just said they want to bring it to all platforms. I think that if we get some better background options in WP8 (like background GPS), then they might consider it.

Vanillalite

What are you doubting? That we'll have better phones out on all platforms this fall than what we have now? Is that a stretch in your view?

For Android it's a stretch other than if we get another Nexus phone. I say this only because there isn't going to be another new chip set that I can see that would be ready in time between now and then. Some phones got LTE remixes before, but that's pretty much standard now.

Outside of releasing something like the Note I don't see in Android land what else they can do currently phone and chipset wise other than other companies like LG releasing their version of a GSIII or One X.

SCHUEY F1

Unconfirmed Member
Nokia and AT&T will be releasing an update for the 900 very soon to fix bugs such as the low-light setting causing grey's to be purple. They also state:
we’ll be rolling out new updates and surprises in the near future to all Lumia 900 users, so stay tuned!"

Edit: I hope Rogers gets this soon, becuase I suffer from the color bug.

Complex Shadow

Cudi Lame™
Windows phones will be behind the curve, simply because of the extra testing between OS/carriers.
We've been behind the curve before there was a curve. At this point we just wanna see what makes appollo so goddamn amazing. I heard it eats rainbows and shits unicorns.

And for me Appollo will be the deciding factor between droid / wp / ios. And since I ve already seen what ios can do, i would like to try droid next and actually try the OS before bashing it in with a hammer.

VanMardigan

has calmed down a bit.
As much as I hate the cheap feel and hideous design of Samsung phones, that plastic they use is pretty durable. I dropped my phone this morning and the back plate flew off plus the screen bottom disconnected, really scary looking fall. Everything just snapped back in. I do hope my phone breaks when Apollo phones release. ;-)

Vanillalite

As much as I hate the cheap feel and hideous design of Samsung phones, that plastic they use is pretty durable. I dropped my phone this morning and the back plate flew off plus the screen bottom disconnected, really scary looking fall. Everything just snapped back in. I do hope my phone breaks when Apollo phones release. ;-)

I've dropped the shit out of my focus and popped it back in. Granted the plastic feels cheap, but oh well. The phone is so frick'n light I'll take it.

PS: Ugh I hate dealing with insurance companies. Definitely gets my anxiety problem heightened.

The Lumia series is very durable as well, and they have the benefit of not looking and feeling like you got them out of a quarter machine.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom