• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Windows Phone |OT2|

Status
Not open for further replies.

Fjolle

It seems like my lumia cant handle me being an part time alcoholic. It has begun to lose the coating or whatever it's called.

I guess that I now have another excuse for upgrading in october if they decide to give it WP.next anyway.

Spotify replaced the Zune tile on my homescreen, but the app is still shit. A music app shouldn't have problems with "resuming" after playing for a while behind the lockscreen. Then I decided to check the version number of the app and it says 0.6. #fml, was this shit ever updated after launch? I feel this is going to be the fate of most popular apps that eventually come to the platform.

VanMardigan

has calmed down a bit.
It seems like my lumia cant handle me being an part time alcoholic. It has begun to lose the coating or whatever it's called.

It's not just you. My wife's phone is starting to lose some of the matte finish as well, I think its the cases she uses. Good thing its cyan all the way through. Still, another win for Samsung Plastic.

Vanillalite

Ask me about the GAF Notebook
Spotify replaced the Zune tile on my homescreen, but the app is still shit. A music app shouldn't have problems with "resuming" after playing for a while behind the lockscreen. Then I decided to check the version number of the app and it says 0.6. #fml, was this shit ever updated after launch? I feel this is going to be the fate of most popular apps that eventually come to the platform.

Didn't you get like 5 years free of Zune Pass with the bug on the 710 promo website anyways? Why you using Spotify? :p

Coldsnap

So my verizon iphone 4 slipped out of my backpack today and cracked. I'm really sick of my iphone and luckily have a replacement warranty. I'm considering selling my replacement iphone and since I'm up for an upgrade get a Lumia 900 for $100. I don't follow the life cycle of windows phone 7 but at this point is it a smart purchase?

Troll

Banned
So my verizon iphone 4 slipped out of my backpack today and cracked. I'm really sick of my iphone and luckily have a replacement warranty. I'm considering selling my replacement iphone and since I'm up for an upgrade get a Lumia 900 for $100. I don't follow the life cycle of windows phone 7 but at this point is it a smart purchase?

What apps do you use?

D4Danger

Unconfirmed Member

I'd wait and see what happens on June 20th at the developer event before I purchase any current phone

VanMardigan

has calmed down a bit.
So my verizon iphone 4 slipped out of my backpack today and cracked. I'm really sick of my iphone and luckily have a replacement warranty. I'm considering selling my replacement iphone and since I'm up for an upgrade get a Lumia 900 for $100.

Lumia 900 isn't out for Verizon though.

Coldsnap

What apps do you use?

Really none. I never bought into the iphone app store because I thought most of them were useless.

I'd wait and see what happens on June 20th at the developer event before I purchase any current phone

It seems like Windows phone 7 is in a perpetual state of you could wait for more announcements. I don't need the newest and latest.

Lumia 900 isn't out for Verizon though.

I thought I held it in my hands? They had the one with the large screen at best buy.

gcubed

Really none. I never bought into the iphone app store because I thought most of them were useless.

It seems like Windows phone 7 is in a perpetual state of you could wait for more announcements. I don't need the newest and latest.

I thought I held it in my hands? They had the one with the large screen at best buy.

No on Verizon and people are telling you to wait two weeks because there is a chance the phone you get won't be updated to WP8.

Coldsnap

True. In the case I will probably live with windows 7 until an upgrade. What's my best option with the verizon phons, seems like I have two; one is larger and one is regular size.

VanMardigan

has calmed down a bit.
True. In the case I will probably live with windows 7 until an upgrade. What's my best option with the verizon phons, seems like I have two; one is larger and one is regular size.

You have one, a first generation htc phone you shouldn't use your upgrade on.

ElNino

Playlists in the cloud are pretty cool.
Aren't there playlists in the Zune Marketplace via Zune Pass as well? I haven't put my codes in yet as I'm trying to decide which account to use them on, but I'm pretty sure I've seen playlists when searching for artists. If not, then you can still you Smart DJ (which is what I use 90% of the time anyways) and let it grab 30 songs for you based on your initial choice.

I have this problem that when I create a new contact and take a photo of them right there and then, the image quality dramatically drops later on in their contage page.

ElNino

I have this problem that when I create a new contact and take a photo of them right there and then, the image quality dramatically drops later on in their contage page.
Where are you syncing the profile to? I've found that any of my profile pics from Google become low quality when they sync back to the phone, but Live allows them to stay high quality. I've started to add some of my contacts to Live as well as Google and upload their profile pic to Live in order to maintain the image quality.

I'm not sure if it is a Google or WP issue, but profile pics from your Windows Live account appear to maintain their quality better than other sources.

Where are you syncing the profile to? I've found that any of my profile pics from Google become low quality when they sync back to the phone, but Live allows them to stay high quality. I've started to add some of my contacts to Live as well as Google and upload their profile pic to Live in order to maintain the image quality.

I'm not sure if it is a Google or WP issue, but profile pics from your Windows Live account appear to maintain their quality better than other sources.

Google. Damn. Is there a way to edit Google Contacts on the phone and also link them to live without having to manually create them on the Live website?

gcubed

Google. Damn. Is there a way to edit Google Contacts on the phone and also link them to live without having to manually create them on the Live website?

Its definitely a google issue as it happens on Android as well.

gcubed

Any simple solutions? I just found a few articles 6 months old relating to this. Why havent Google responded to it

Its been a bug report/feature request in Android/Google Contacts for years now. The only way to do it is to use a separate sync mechanism or hope the user is on G+. Its stupid and it sucks and no one knows why Google ignores it

VanMardigan

has calmed down a bit.
On the phone, when you edit someone's contact info, if you pick a picture from one of your albums, you have the choice to update their info automatically on windows live, which will preserve the better quality pic.

Milchjon

Is there an efficient way to upload ALL my pictures from the phone to SkyDrive?

I don't wanna enable the automatic upload feature since I have a pretty low bandwidth cap. Also, even if I did, it wouldn't help with older pics. So is there a way to bulk upload that I've missed?

Is there an efficient way to upload ALL my pictures from the phone to SkyDrive?

I don't wanna enable the automatic upload feature since I have a pretty low bandwidth cap. Also, even if I did, it wouldn't help with older pics. So is there a way to bulk upload that I've missed?

Can't you use the SkyDrive app? It will also upload the pictures without compressing them.

Milchjon

Can't you use the SkyDrive app? It will also upload the pictures without compressing them.

Yeah, but I haven't figured out a way to upload several pictures at once. I don't want to upload hundreds of pics separately.

Edit: The alternative would of course be syncing it with Zune and then uploading them from the PC. I'd do that, but my HDD crashed recently and I don't have a PC right now.

ElNino

No way to link the Google contact to Live as far as I know. I just create a new contact in Windows Live with the minimum info (can be the same as Google) and I upload the contact photo there. Then when you link the contacts on the phone (Google and Live) then you will get the Live contact photo but have all the info from Google. It's annoying for sure, but I only do it for my close family/friends that I communicate with often so it wasn't that much work.

bangai-o

Banned
question about zune marketplace. or i guess now its xbox instead of zune? anyway,
is the phone able to downlad an episode of Burn Notice(for example) or do tv shows and movies need to be downloaded via the pc software? can you delete videos from the phone? same goes for music. is the phone able to do everything without having to sync?

SCHUEY F1

Unconfirmed Member
question about zune marketplace. or i guess now its xbox instead of zune? anyway,
is the phone able to downlad an episode of Burn Notice(for example) or do tv shows and movies need to be downloaded via the pc software? can you delete videos from the phone? same goes for music. is the phone able to do everything without having to sync?

You can download music straight to your phone. Zune videos you have to sync via the PC, but I have a feeling that may change later (as long as your connected wifi). Videos and music you can delete from the phone.

VanMardigan

has calmed down a bit.
The 20th can't come soon enough so we can hopefully know what the fuck is going on.

We already know what's going to happen (current devices won't get Apollo), but some of us are in denial or need to hear it from MS themselves. I'm cool with that, so long as no one acts surprised.

gcubed

You'll still get shit from apple users. Plus half the users here are probably gonna be pissed, so it will still be viewed negatively.

if you can use the apps that are built the only people that care are tech enthusiast. At least now another group of people can see how little it matters in the long wrong

Fjolle

what does apollo do?

Apollo pust an NT kernel into your phone. The kernel will also support some new hardware features like NFC and multi core processors and high resolution displays.

The "Apollo" software update will have skype and.... xbox music? (seriously. Isn't most of it hardware support?)

Also app developers will compile their software to both. For now.

JaggedSac

I'm cool with all apps being available to me and new software features being added. My phone isn't going to magically get NFC or a better resolution anyhow lol.

frontieruk

No way to link the Google contact to Live as far as I know. I just create a new contact in Windows Live with the minimum info (can be the same as Google) and I upload the contact photo there. Then when you link the contacts on the phone (Google and Live) then you will get the Live contact photo but have all the info from Google. It's annoying for sure, but I only do it for my close family/friends that I communicate with often so it wasn't that much work.

isn't there a setting to import all your contacts to Live? I'm sure I saw that and switched it off

Oh and I caved in and picked up a 710 this evening needed a sat nav for the car

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom