• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Windows Phone |OT2|

Status
Not open for further replies.
Apollo pust an NT kernel into your phone. The kernel will also support some new hardware features like NFC and multi core processors and high resolution displays.

The "Apollo" software update will have skype and.... xbox music? (seriously. Isn't most of it hardware support?)

Also app developers will compile their software to both. For now.

I wouldn't be so 100% sure on Skype integration right off the bat.

bangai-o

Banned
i was reading about Skype on windows phone. The reviewers are saying the cell phone providers are trying to prevent a real Skype application.

Fjolle

I wouldn't be so 100% sure on Skype integration right off the bat.

Actually I have no idea... BUT a guy who actually works on the skype application, and probably knows more than most people about what will come, wrote on a danish forum (about the WP summit) that we could start getting excited...

Then again the danish WP evangelist promised me Tango in april/may....

i was reading about Skype on windows phone. The reviewers are saying the cell phone providers are trying to prevent a real Skype application.

They haven't prevented it on any other platform. Also cellphones are sold outside USA too.

well the app is available but apparently it is always a borked version of what it should be i guess.

Skype on Windows Phone in gimped because Windows Phone got some annoying limitations. Rafael Rivera explained it in a article on WPCentral.

In this figure, a Skype user – you – is initiating a direct connection with John Doe; he receives the call and you both chat for 12 hours about favorite cookie recipes. It’s important to note here that call routing isn’t performed through Skype servers at all. In most cases, direct communication is possible and utilized. In other rare cases, Skype may use an intermediate node, e.g. the super node, to relay traffic.

Cue Windows Phone.

You probably know by now that Windows Phone 7.5 “Mango” ushered in support for fast application switching (multitasking) and background agents, little bits of code that can be programmed to run in the background. However, none of these agents support running for an indefinite amount of time or have the ability to maintain persistent network connections. That means that the application couldn’t possibly run in the background let alone receive calls from other users. But that’s where notifications swoop in and save the day, right?

Well, no. Remember when we called John Doe in an earlier example? That call was direct; Skype client to Skype client. There wasn't a Skype server in the middle of that transaction, just two users waving each other down and having a chat. Where would you install a Windows Phone notification server? On a super node? Nope, most calls are direct, remember? What about a server at Skype headquarters? Won’t do any good there either. The only option is to notify the user at receipt of an actual call, something the Skype for Windows Phone client can only do if it’s running in the foreground.
http://www.wpcentral.com/understanding-skype’s-limitations-windows-phone

What's the point of the lumia 610? It is supposed to be super cheap but it's super expensive given the hardware :/ It debuted at 239 euros here.. For reference the, Xperia U is 233 euro and the Lumia 710 214 euro..

Oh shit, I might wanna get that ...

My mother was looking for a new phone. We went shopping and I showed her the Xperia U, Lumia 710, Galaxy S+ and such. She liked the 710 for the most for the simplicity. But it the Xperia U had a bigger screen, she would probably choose that one. The Xperia U stands out becouse of the design and the dual-core processor.

Regardless of the Xperia U, the Lumia 610 is rediculously overpriced. I expected it to be between the 100-130 euro range.

kharma45

For you guys who use the GAF mobile site on your Windows Phone, do you get ads?

Might seem a strange question if you do as I've never seen a single one on my phone :S

My mother was looking for a new phone. We went shopping and I showed her the Xperia U, Lumia 710, Galaxy S+ and such. She liked the 710 for the most for the simplicity. But it the Xperia U had a bigger screen, she would probably choose that one. The Xperia U stands out becouse of the design and the dual-core processor.

The design it what makes the new Xperia phones so appealing to me. I know they run Android, but depending on how the Apollo event turns out, I might get one of them as my new phone.

e: I just noticed that most of the regulars here are about to switch to another phone, if Apollo doesn't deliver. That would pretty much kill this thread then. :lol

Milchjon

For you guys who use the GAF mobile site on your Windows Phone, do you get ads?

Might seem a strange question if you do as I've never seen a single one on my phone :S

Nope, they don't seem to work.

The design it what makes the new Xperia phones so appealing to me. I know they run Android, but depending on how the Apollo event turns out, I might get one of them as my new phone.

e: I just noticed that most of the regulars here are about to switch to another phone, if Apollo doesn't deliver. That would pretty much kill this thread then. :lol

Bah, if they don't completely screw up the design, I don't see a reason to jump ship soon. Form>function.

Milchjon

That's alright then, saw some of the Android guys posting screens and they had them.

I realized that some time ago, but I thought if I snitched, there might be some backlash. ;-) Maybe we/I should inform ckohler/Evilore, cause now I feel like I'm freeloading.

That's alright then, saw some of the Android guys posting screens and they had them.

Weird, I don't see ads and I'm running Android (
images
).

In all the discussions mentionning Apollo, the gaming theme isn't mentionned enough. Windows Phone should be THE platform for gamers, in stead of iOS.

I realized that some time ago, but I thought if I snitched, there might be some backlash. ;-) Maybe we/I should inform ckohler/Evilore, cause now I feel like I'm freeloading.

To be honest, I didn't even notice. I thought Windows Phone came with free GAF Gold, with having a special browser tile and all that.

PM ckohler about it

PG2G

In all the discussions mentionning Apollo, the gaming theme isn't mentionned enough. Windows Phone should be THE platform for gamers, in stead of iOS.

I dont think whether its a good gaming platform is really tied to the OS. well, support for C++ and Direct X will be big. Not sure what else they can do. Games are just apps and developers go where the market is.

Complex Shadow

Cudi Lame™

thats right, i am using you all for future gain. bwahahahaha.

Troll

Banned
NokiaBatmanCovers.jpg

These are sort of cool. How did Nokia of all companies get the rites to the sequel to one of the biggest movies ever?

GCX

These are sort of cool. How did Nokia of all companies get the rites to the sequel to one of the biggest movies ever?
I think Nokia has sponsored quite many Warner Bros. movies ever since The Matrix product placement.

frontieruk

To be honest, I didn't even notice. I thought Windows Phone came with free GAF Gold, with having a special browser tile and all that.

PM ckohler about it

actually it did used to display them as it was across the top, something must of changed. as I just checked iOS and they are still displaying.

VanMardigan

has calmed down a bit.
Have fun doing the OT!

Looks like some of the android regulars are interested in what Apollo will bring, so it might even out in the end. MS would have to really screw up for me to switch to android anytime soon. IOS would be more likely, but Apple hasn't been willing to liven up their OS enough for me to switch back to them.

kazinova

Looks like some of the android regulars are interested in what Apollo will bring, so it might even out in the end. MS would have to really screw up for me to switch to android anytime soon. IOS would be more likely, but Apple hasn't been willing to liven up their OS enough for me to switch back to them.

There's no worries, I've been thinking about whipping up something for the Apollo OT so it will be handled. We'll see what I get to work with after June 20th.

GCX

It must be easy money to buy Nokia shares, publish a rumor about Samsung/Microsoft/Facebook/etc. planning to buy them, watch shares go up and then sell sell sell.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom