• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Windows Phone |OT2|

Status
Not open for further replies.

PG2G

Storage is going to be a big deal to me. I'm down to about 2gb and I still have another year and a half to go in this contract. Expandable storage should come back, and they should also offer more standard built in memory than 16gb. With data limits coming down and prices going up, storing everything on the cloud isn't an option for media.

The initial Windows Phone 8 leak said SD card support would be in. It is probably necessary to get phone prices down to the levels Nokia wants. I can see low end phones coming with 1-2 gigs of memory and be expandable via SD.

6 more days...

Posted yet? This is how you sell a Windows Phone!

8322.image_5F00_thumb_5F00_58A2D626.png

Nananana BATMAN!

That would be embarrassing to use in public.

gcubed

The initial Windows Phone 8 leak said SD card support would be in. It is probably necessary to get phone prices down to the levels Nokia wants. I can see low end phones coming with 1-2 gigs of memory and be expandable via SD.

6 more days...

as long as MS keeps gimping low spec phones i dont think they are really going to make any inroads here.

Yes, but you can always take the covers off. That Batman logo is going to be pretty irrelevant in about 4-6 months.

NO, Batman logo will NEVER be irrelevant

I have a 16 GB device. Storage isn't as much of an issue due to the OS being more or less locked down (vs Windows Mobile where I was maxing out my memory usage) and Zune which I hate. I have the hardest time syncing my media. It just never works. While everyone else may be lamenting the death of Zune I'm thinking "kill it with fire already".

VanMardigan

has calmed down a bit.
I have the Focus S. From looking around on xda, it seems that it uses nand memory. :(

I'm trying to hang on to this phone until at least next year, lets see if Apollo gives me enough new features so I dont feel giant waves of envy towards the dual core 720p phones out this fall.

VanMardigan

has calmed down a bit.
Robert Cheng at CNET really, really hates Windows Phone apparently. He says that one good thing to come out of Nokia's problems is that he won't have to see any more lumia 900 commercials, and in that article he states that the phone fizzled after a strong start. The evidence? He links back to a previous article he wrote that references online sales ranks and the lack of numbers from at&t.

Meanwhile, the front page of CNET has a poll that asks users to vote whether the new iPhone will have a bigger screen, calling it the biggest rumor of the week. How much page views does one gain from mentioning iPhone 5 in a quasi-story?

SCHUEY F1

Unconfirmed Member
Robert Cheng at CNET really, really hates Windows Phone apparently. He says that one good thing to come out of Nokia's problems is that he won't have to see any more lumia 900 commercials, and in that article he states that the phone fizzled after a strong start. The evidence? He links back to a previous article he wrote that references online sales ranks and the lack of numbers from at&t.

Meanwhile, the front page of CNET has a poll that asks users to vote whether the new iPhone will have a bigger screen, calling it the biggest rumor of the week. How much page views does one gain from mentioning iPhone 5 in a quasi-story?

Sounds like he would fit in on Gaf.

kehs

Banned

To be fair, the commercial with the actress pondering about her character's ambitions, is a little grating.

Vanillalite

Ask me about the GAF Notebook
Anyone who had a 1st gen phone and now has a 2nd gen phone how much better is app loading? The one thing I hope I get when I upgrade is faster app loading. The OS itself is still pretty much butter smooth on my focus, but things like the Facebook App definitely take a good idk at least 5 secs or so to load up. I know I know ZOMG 5 seconds. It's enough to notice the app is loading though, and things aren't just popping up as soon as I click on them.

It could just be certain apps are crappy though. I'll fully admit this ahead of time! LOL

clav

I know I know ZOMG 5 seconds. It's enough to notice the app is loading though, and things aren't just popping up as soon as I click on them.

The loading times do add up. Sure 5 seconds a day may seem little but compare that number to a grander scale.

35 seconds/week
140 seconds/month
1680 seconds/year

That only accounts a factor you load the app once a day.

gcubed

there were enough "Its #1 on Amazon Wireless!!!" posts here and in the blogs to warrant such an article

ElNino

Anyone who had a 1st gen phone and now has a 2nd gen phone how much better is app loading? The one thing I hope I get when I upgrade is faster app loading. The OS itself is still pretty much butter smooth on my focus, but things like the Facebook App definitely take a good idk at least 5 secs or so to load up. I know I know ZOMG 5 seconds. It's enough to notice the app is loading though, and things aren't just popping up as soon as I click on them.

It could just be certain apps are crappy though. I'll fully admit this ahead of time! LOL
I have no empirical evidence one way or the other, but apps certainly seem to run better on my Lumia than they did on my Focus. For example, when opening the Xbox Live/Games hub on my Focus my Xbox Avatar would take a few seconds to load up and the animations would stutter at first, where on the Lumia is loads immediately with no issues on the animation.

frontieruk

Apps are smoother but take about the same time to load as the content still needs pulling from the server in the Facebook example.

If noones done it by Monday I'll video the hd7 vs a titan and maybe vs a 710 so you can see.

Also
I captured a panorama at Silver Stone Paddocks with #Photosynth http://t.co/i8jxG4Iy

Vanillalite

Ask me about the GAF Notebook
I have no empirical evidence one way or the other, but apps certainly seem to run better on my Lumia than they did on my Focus. For example, when opening the Xbox Live/Games hub on my Focus my Xbox Avatar would take a few seconds to load up and the animations would stutter at first, where on the Lumia is loads immediately with no issues on the animation.

This exactly the type of thing I was talking about. Thanks for the info!!

ElNino

Apps are smoother but take about the same time to load as the content still needs pulling from the server in the Facebook example.
Unless you are on an LTE device as well, in which case it can (obviously) be quicker to load as well. I do also find the antenna on the Lumia 900 to be a bit better than my Focus was with respect to holding a connection. My family room is a black hole of data connection for my provider and all other phones will drop the connection regularly (Focus, iPhone 4/S, BlackBerry, etc) where as my Lumia will hold a connection (albeit only a couple of bars) almost all the time.

Joe

Guys it's time I finally got a smartphone and I really just don't like android at all.....

I'm looking to spend $100 on a used wp7 device that I can just slip my sim card into and be good to go. I really hate being tied to a contract so nothing new and I'm cheap so nothing expensive.

My eye is on the OG Samsung Focus, should I be looking at something else?

Windu

never heard about the cat, apparently
Guys it's time I finally got a smartphone and I really just don't like android at all.....

I'm looking to spend $100 on a used wp7 device that I can just slip my sim card into and be good to go. I really hate being tied to a contract so nothing new and I'm cheap so nothing expensive.

My eye is on the OG Samsung Focus, should I be looking at something else?
check T-Mobile, i think they have a WP on pay as you go.

VanMardigan

has calmed down a bit.
See if you can get a Titan for cheap now that the 2 is out, also the 710 might be a good call. The OG Focus is ok, but if you can get one of the second gen phones that would be better.

Joe

I'm on an ATT family plan and pay $30/month for a bunch of minutes, unlimited text, and grandfathered unlimited data I'd like to keep that.

derFeef

Isn't Flash really not relevant on phones? My friends always bring this up to me for whatever reason, I don't see the need for it.

kehs

Banned
Isn't Flash really not relevant on phones? My friends always bring this up to me for whatever reason, I don't see the need for it.

I browse on my phone alot and when I come across flash it's nice to be able to see the content.

But I guess that doesn't count as relevancy.

Microsoft's takeover slowly continues.

In a separate press release today, Nokia announced that Chris Weber, who until now was the head of Nokia's North American division, will now be the company's new executive vice president of sales and marketing.

Like current Nokia CEO Stephen Elop, Weber once worked at Microsoft. Weber started working at Nokia in February 2011. Under his leadership of the Americas division, Nokia had a successful launch of the Lumia 900 and the Lumia 710 smartphones. Elop apparently thinks that Weber can repeat that success across all of Nokia. In a statement, Elop said, "Chris has made tremendous strides in kick starting our re-entry into the US and his track record of driving results will serve Nokia well."
http://www.neowin.net/news/nokia-us-head-chris-weber-now-nokias-lead-salesman

I browse on my phone alot and when I come across flash it's nice to be able to see the content.

But I guess that doesn't count as relevancy.

I miss those flash ads.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom