• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Windows Phone |OT2|

Status
Not open for further replies.
Maybe its a new Sony Xperia phone with a non-shitty os!

I probably wouldn't care, because Sony's new-new Xperia phones like the GX or SX or whatever don't get me that excited. I really like that transparent stripe.

02bQn.jpg

vs

UoLqu.jpg

All I know is that I'll get the Xperia S, should Apollo disappoint.

Speaking of phone designs, I can't stress enough how much I fucking hate micro-USB ports on the side or top of a phone. Keep it on the bottom, so I can use a damn dock and put it on my desk.

VanMardigan

has calmed down a bit.
I probably wouldn't care, because Sony's new-new Xperia phones like the GX or SX or whatever don't get me that excited. I really like that transparent stripe.

I've always loved Sony's phone designs. I remember owning a Sony Ericsson flip phone. For a flip phone, it looked really good.

edit: This one:
sonyericsson-z525-00.jpg

I'm still holding out hope that they'll join the WP8 fold. I mean, if they're using Krait for their Android phones, and WP8 will largely be using that chip in the fall, then why not just throw the software onto one of those phones? It's likely the same thing Samsung and HTC will be doing, and I don't mind if a One X WP8 variant is released either.

Complex Shadow

Cudi Lame™

n.jpg

vs

You know what they say. Once you go android. You go blind.

I've always loved Sony's phone designs. I remember owning a Sony Ericsson flip phone. For a flip phone, it looked really good.

edit: This one:
sonyericsson-z525-00.jpg

I'm still holding out hope that they'll join the WP8 fold. I mean, if they're using Krait for their Android phones, and WP8 will largely be using that chip in the fall, then why not just throw the software onto one of those phones? It's likely the same thing Samsung and HTC will be doing, and I don't mind if a One X WP8 variant is released either.
I have that exact same phone. Too bad it was such a piece of craps which make me swore off any Sony phone.

Nokia is really getting plummeted, can Apollo save or will it be too late...

Commodore

Maybe. For once, Nokia will have CDMA phones.

It'll be interesting if they can pull it off. It's a massive transition they've been in, trying to compensate for the bleeding lower end market they're loosing to Android and filling in with their Lumia line. It's more or less, draining faster than they can fill in right now. This next year will be telling for them as a company.

I used to hate my android phone (had a Droid X) since it would always crash or freeze, even with custom roms. However, now that I have been with a Windows Phone (HTC Trophy 7) for about 2 months now....I miss android xD

Commodore

Could be actually, Nokia's other cheap tablet project(s) was/were killed yesterday.

Rumors are flying now that it's indeed a tablet, though not a Nokia built one, built at Redmond apparently. Interesting move, not too jazzed myself, tablets are low on my priority list, but bout time they made a play. #stillwantacourier

Rumors are flying now that it's indeed a tablet, though not a Nokia built one, built at Redmond apparently. Interesting move, not too jazzed myself, tablets are low on my priority list, but bout time they made a play. #stillwantacourier

Yeah, I can't see myself buying an expensive tablet, and the cheap android tablets are shit. Nokia's Meltemi tablet could have been pretty cool, if it was cheap and ran as much smoother than Android as rumors say. Windows tablets are likely more expensive, but maybe they can be quite smooth as well...

clav

I thought CDMA being a thing was going to go away as soon as LTE hit anyways, but it appears that hasn't happened.

Where did I get this wrong in my brain?!?!

You're a GSM user, so I understand your confusion over how CDMA works.

LTE requires SIM cards as that will be the license/key to use the data network. The traditional features still use CDMA signals to transmit voice/text.

LTE requires SIM cards as that will be the license/key to use the data network. The traditional features still use CDMA signals to transmit voice/text.

not only that, but while Verizon is using SIM cards, Sprint is using embedded internal sims.

not only that, but while Verizon is using SIM cards, Sprint is using embedded internal sims.

And not only that, but the LTE networks from AT&T and Verizon are not compatible, because they still use different frequencies.

Nokia is so done.

Nokia Takeover Seen as Collapsing Shares Signal Bottom: Real M&A

Nokia Oyj (NOK1V)’s steepest stock drop in more than a decade is turning the mobile-device maker into a potential takeover target for buyers willing to bet that it still has a future in smartphones.

Nokia plunged 18 percent yesterday after forecasting a wider second-quarter operating loss from handsets and saying it will cut as many as 10,000 jobs as it cedes market share to Apple Inc. (AAPL)’s iPhone and Samsung Electronics Co. devices. After wiping out about $100 billion in market value, Espoo, Finland- based Nokia trades at a 38 percent discount to its net assets, the least expensive on record, according to data compiled by Bloomberg dating back to 1995.

Once Europe’s most valuable company, Nokia is losing money as it tries to rebuild the smartphone business around Microsoft Corp. (MSFT)’s Windows Phone software and after failing to sell an unprofitable equipment venture with Siemens AG. (SIE) With the lowest price-sales multiple among communications-equipment makers, cash and short-term investments exceeding its $8.6 billion market value and more than 10,000 patent families, Nokia could attract Microsoft, said Falcon Point Capital LLC. It may even be cheap enough to lure buyout firms, Avian Securities LLC said.

“The key question is, can they do something to turn this into a growth business again?” Michael Mahoney, senior managing director at Falcon Point in San Francisco, said in a telephone interview. “If they can just make it grow, even a little bit, it’s very cheap.”

Doug Dawson, a spokesman at Nokia, declined to comment on speculation about a possible sale.
http://www.bloomberg.com/news/2012-...collapsing-shares-signal-bottom-real-m-a.html

strata8

Too much effort. If not WP7 I'd go with iOS. Every time someone talks about doing something with a custom ROM I zone out.
Same here. I wanted iOS for the support (OS updates) and application consistency/performance, but the iPhone 4 was just a bit too expensive. Then I saw that my carrier was offering the Omnia 7 in a clearance sale for super cheap, so I did the research and decided that I'd give Windows Phone a shot. I haven't looked back since.

My friend picked up an Samsung Galaxy S+ recently and he's constantly telling me how awesome his phone is and how crap Windows Phone is as a whole, but I look over at him when he uses it and it's constantly lagging, glitching out, all of it. I don't think I could deal with that.

kazinova

So they planned to talk about WinRT but with the sudden turn of events the presser on Monday will be about the buyout of Nokia.

I mean, if it costs you the corporate equivalent of "the loose change in your pocket" to buy them, why not?

VanMardigan

has calmed down a bit.
Yeah, MS needs to buy them out already. Keep the brand separate, there is enough talent and heritage there for an apple-style comeback, albeit on a smaller scale.

Complex Shadow

Cudi Lame™
I'm afraid to ask, but what do you guys have against Android?
you know when you run into a problem, and, at first your like, "hmm, i wonder what went wrong. itl be interesting to find out" but after like hours of wasted time and googling you end up with a crappy bandage "solution". you eventually go insane and burn your house down, hide the bodies and claim it was the neighbors dog.

thats basically android imo.
Yeah, MS needs to buy them out already. Keep the brand separate, there is enough talent and heritage there for an apple-style comeback, albeit on a smaller scale.
no they don't i am sure WP8 will fix everything..........

thirty

Banned
why I hate android? personally, I have a 20 month old gingerbread tablet. worked five when new, then you start filling it with apps and games and weird things happen. I started getting random restarts, annoying as hell. I fixed it by killing live wallpaper. now a new issue arises, constant apps updating and I'm always getting a low memory message. I transfer files over to the micro sd card, delete files, but the problem still exist. I've given up trying to fix it. damn apps are updating to work on more hardware configs and on newer OS builds, gingerbread is getting left behind. i'd say android devices are great for a yr, then they're garbage.

my nearly 2 yr old WP7 though is still buttery smooth.

ElNino

why I hate android? personally, I have a 20 month old gingerbread tablet. worked five when new, then you start filling it with apps and games and weird things happen. I started getting random restarts, annoying as hell. I fixed it by killing live wallpaper. now a new issue arises, constant apps updating and I'm always getting a low memory message. I transfer files over to the micro sd card, delete files, but the problem still exist. I've given up trying to fix it. damn apps are updating to work on more hardware configs and on newer OS builds, gingerbread is getting left behind. i'd say android devices are great for a yr, then they're garbage.

my nearly 2 yr old WP7 though is still buttery smooth.
This is similar to my experiences with WP7 and my BlackBerry Playbook which I bought during the clearance sales last Christmas.

While the OS itself is quick and responsive, when you open an app (even the built in email app) it often becomes terribly unresponsive. Even with a dual core processor and 1GB of memory, with only the email app open it has 30% or so of the memory available and apps will often force close when more than a few are open at a time.

Meanwhile, my Focus was still lightning quick after 1.5 years and my Lumia 900 is even better.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom