• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Windows Phone |OT2|

Status
Not open for further replies.

VanMardigan

has calmed down a bit.
you're complaining about developers updating their apps?

I think it's more of the typical complaint about android being too high maintenance for an everyday utility like a smartphone. I'm sure you disagree, but you can't possibly be surprised, its a common complaint relative to ios and wp7.

SCHUEY F1

Unconfirmed Member
The constant app updates on my android tablet really is annoying. Luckily it is my wife's who basically abandoned it once she got a 4S.

Wish I could put W8 on it.

VanMardigan

has calmed down a bit.
A Nokia-built 7" tablet running WinRT and with hooks to Smartglass, Hulu, Nook, Xbox Live, etc. is the current hot guess for Monday. Man, I wanted to steer clear of winrt, but at $199.....

thirty

Banned
bill gates himself should make an appearance on Monday. "behold, the Kinpad/Zunepad. a tablet that will rid the world of malaria."

gcubed

I think it's more of the typical complaint about android being too high maintenance for an everyday utility like a smartphone. I'm sure you disagree, but you can't possibly be surprised, its a common complaint relative to ios and wp7.

not sure how its high maintenance... you rarely have to do anything. Unless your saying waking up and seeing "updates completed" on your status bar high maintenance.

I'm am genuinely curious. You think this isn't going to happen with WP8? With its numerous phones and layouts? or winRT? with its numerous hardware partners? It doesnt happen on Apple because its a cut and dry hardware choice.

clav

not sure how its high maintenance... you rarely have to do anything. Unless your saying waking up and seeing "updates completed" on your status bar high maintenance.

I'm am genuinely curious. You think this isn't going to happen with WP8? With its numerous phones and layouts? or winRT? with its numerous hardware partners? It doesnt happen on Apple because its a cut and dry hardware choice.

Only a few Android handsets receive official updates on a consistent basis.

Seems like at most handsets only receive one or none at all.

If you want a newer Android ROM, you usually have to root and install them yourself.

This scenario mirrors what happened with Windows Mobile 6 and below.

VanMardigan

has calmed down a bit.
You think this isn't going to happen with WP8? With its numerous phones and layouts? or winRT? with its numerous hardware partners?

Do I not think what will happen? And why are you bringing up rt? Do you not get the whole criticism about phones not being computers and android being too high maintenance? Its not just about managing apps, which is a uniquely android problem.

gcubed

Do I not think what will happen? And why are you bringing up rt? Do you not get the whole criticism about phones not being computers and android being too high maintenance? Its not just about managing apps, which is a uniquely android problem.

this conversation may not be the best to have here, i've had an android phone for years... i dont know what you mean by "managing apps"

I brought up RT because this conversation started in regards to a tablet.

JaggedSac

I don't understand the update complaints against Android either. I seem to recall just hitting update all or something and forgot about it. I was never in the rom scene though so maybe that was what is being discussed.

VanMardigan

has calmed down a bit.
this conversation may not be the best to have here, i've had an android phone for years... i dont know what you mean by "managing apps"

You're right, its not. But unless I've got you mixed up with someone else, we were both regulars on the nexus one thread when that phone came out and you most definitely know what managing apps means.

gcubed

You're right, its not. But unless I've got you mixed up with someone else, we were both regulars on the nexus one thread when that phone came out and you most definitely know what managing apps means.

oh, if you mean storage space... yes its had some horrific growing pains and the choice of Google not to push mandatory internal memory was stupid.

Those havent existed in over a year though.

I thought the original poster was complaining about getting app updates all the time, which I thought was a peculiar complaint... which is why i went on to note that the reason for more updates is due to bug fixes on different phone resolutions and chipsets, which will start happening on WP8 once they expand chipsets and resolutions... that was my only point. The storage issue with nexus one generation phones was a shortsighted mess by Google and it was the worst part of the phone back then and does not apply to ios or MS

kazinova

Looking forward to next week, should be fun.

Microsoft's goal for next week should be to manage to knock all WWDC articles off the top page of tech sites for the entirety of the week.

A tall order but I think they need to achieve this level of making a splash.

My prediction: they won't. If they release a bunch of WP8 news and it's all positive (I doubt that with the upgrade issue looming) they stand a stand to earn back some trust from me. But tech enthusiasts are so [rightfully] fickle with MS at this point they won't get anywhere with them unless they drop some seriously exciting news.

Considering I'm somewhat invested in the ecosystem I really hope next week proves to be emboldening instead of bracing.

VanMardigan

has calmed down a bit.
With all this talk about nokia's troubles, what about HTC? Their beautiful flagship seems to be floundering at AT&T (behind Nokia if the online sales have any weight), and there is no Verizon version, though it seems to be doing ok at sprint.

Success on android isn't a given, and I wonder if they have anything special planned for wp8 or whether we will get the One X with Apollo. Its such a nice phone I won't even be mad, but I think it'll struggle against the ugly ass gsIII and its variants.

With Apple and Samsung sucking up 90% of smartphone profits, Nokia isn't the only one who should be worried.

Complex Shadow

Cudi Lame™
Microsoft's goal for next week should be to manage to knock all WWDC articles off the top page of tech sites for the entirety of the week.

My prediction: they won't. If they release a bunch of WP8 news and it's all positive (I doubt that with the upgrade issue looming) they stand a stand to earn back some trust from me. But tech enthusiasts are so [rightfully] fickle with MS at this point they won't get anywhere with them unless they drop some seriously exciting news.

Considering I'm somewhat invested in the ecosystem I really hope next week proves to be emboldening instead of bracing.
there is no such thing as bad publicity

Biggzy

With all this talk about nokia's troubles, what about HTC? Their beautiful flagship seems to be floundering at AT&T (behind Nokia if the online sales have any weight), and there is no Verizon version, though it seems to be doing ok at sprint.

Success on android isn't a given, and I wonder if they have anything special planned for wp8 or whether we will get the One X with Apollo. Its such a nice phone I won't even be mad, but I think it'll struggle against the ugly ass gsIII and its variants.

With Apple and Samsung sucking up 90% of smartphone profits, Nokia isn't the only one who should be worried.

It's the easiest thing in the world to say that if Nokia went with Android everything will be rosy for them. Maybe it would have, but as you have pointed out, Samsung appear to be the only ones who are making any real money on Android. The rest are either making some money but not a lot, or not making anything at all.

I think the main gripes I have with WP7 is the lack of customization for your notifications, WP versions of some apps are shitty, multitasking is kind of a pain (example: trying to run a timer app in the background),and there are not alot of good free apps to play around with.

However, I do love the snappiness of the OS and such. I also cannot penalize the OS on the multitasking since it is just the way the OS works (thank god I went to a WP dev conference).

Feel free to prove me wrong on my gripes though. I am a new user so I might not know all the tips and tricks to this OS

Microsoft could announce the second coming of Christ and people would be like "uhhh, isn't it a bit late for that? I mean, the market share isn't really that high anymore. I really think it's a bit too late for that."

So yeah, who gives a shit what bloggers say. Fuck them. Same reason I rarely participate in those ridiculous threads.

Windu

never heard about the cat, apparently
it doesn't really matter if microsoft is late to the party when they can use their 90% marketshare in the traditional pc space to help force their way in. Having the same dev platform on all of their platforms will be a huge advantage.

VanMardigan

has calmed down a bit.
There isn't any need to prove anything, your gripes are reasonable. The app complaint is valid, but the situation is improving. I use a timer app every day, I don't know if you want to specify what type of issue you are having with them. The notification complaint I'm not sure I understand, but if you are saying that you want a notification center, that is valid and has been brought up before. Some think live tiles are enough, but I think most would welcome some sort of notification repository. I'm not even sure where I stand on that, but as someone who has used ios and android, I can see why that would be important.

Milchjon

I don't think I get how the toast notifications work, really. With WhatsApp, it seems like they are never more than maybe 1-2 minutes late. With most other apps, it seems like they often take like 30 minutes.

There isn't any need to prove anything, your gripes are reasonable. The app complaint is valid, but the situation is improving. I use a timer app every day, I don't know if you want to specify what type of issue you are having with them. The notification complaint I'm not sure I understand, but if you are saying that you want a notification center, that is valid and has been brought up before. Some think live tiles are enough, but I think most would welcome some sort of notification repository. I'm not even sure where I stand on that, but as someone who has used ios and android, I can see why that would be important.

When I run the timer app and them go to check my twitter and then back to the timer app, it is reset. Or when I am texting, back out before sending it, then go back into it, it is blank. But from my understanding that is just the way the OS operates.

Notification wise, you cant set different notification sounds for different apps (FB, Email, txt, etc) nor can you set it to vibrate ONLY with texts (My phone vibrates with facebook and text).

Like I said, I may be doing something wrong or dont know something since I am a new user.

My phone is dev unlocked right now so I am having some fun playing around with some of the homebrew apps. I might put a custom rom on it but I dont see the point to.

VanMardigan

has calmed down a bit.
When I run the timer app and them go to check my twitter and then back to the timer app, it is reset. Or when I am texting, back out before sending it, then go back into it, it is blank. But from my understanding that is just the way the OS operates.

No, that shouldn't happen. Timer apps maintain their state when you go out and back in. I can think of a few reasons why that is:

-The timer app you're using isn't updated to mango
-You are using the back button on the phone to exit the app rather than the Windows button or the multi-tasking screen (hold the back button). If you use the back button to exit an app, you are closing it, therefore resetting it.

nor can you set it to vibrate ONLY with texts

Yep, this seems like one of those granular things where android shines.

Troll

Banned
I wonder if Nokia is sabotaging it's market value so they can get purchased sooner rather than later.

According to this article the job cuts will hasten the "death" spiral, thus damaging its value even further.

Elop is one hell of a Trojan horse!

Yea, but the only thing they actually did with that brand identity was release the N9.

kmCLj.jpg

Symbian

Windu

never heard about the cat, apparently
someone clearly hacked their facebook page and is just posting random shit. But that image probably confirms more talk about Xbox Music/Video

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom