• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Windows Phone |OT2|

Status
Not open for further replies.

bananas

Banned
With Android for me, it's go stock or go home. So really Galaxy Nexus is all I would recommend to someone. Even with the shitty camera.

Commodore

Zune recognizes my phone again. Yay.

One reason less to buy the Xperia. :(

Dammit brot, hammer those expectations down. It will all come crashing down come Wednesday.

e: one more thing I noticed yesterday concerning Monday, Geoff Keighley mentioned on twitter he going to the press event, invited by Microsoft. So, some sort of gaming spice is thrown in the pot as well.

kharma45

Average in what way?

Never liked Sony's Android UI, the SoC in it is a generation old, the capacitive buttons on it are erratic, battery life is pretty poor from what I've read, camera isn't as good as you'd expect from a Sony but in saying that I thought the screen was pretty nice as is the design.

I'd take the One S over it any day though, I'd sacrifice the 720p screen for the better all round phone.

Never liked Sony's Android UI, the SoC in it is a generation old, the capacitive buttons on it are erratic, battery life is pretty poor from what I've read, camera isn't as good as you'd expect from a Sony but in saying that I thought the screen was pretty nice as is the design.

I'd take the One S over it any day though, I'd sacrifice the 720p screen for the better all round phone.

I haven't heard any battery complains and the camera seems to be pretty good. Same with their ICS skin, which seems to be pretty light and close to stock, compared to TouchWiz and Sense. And I couldn't care less about the SoC, as long as it provides a smooth UX. Also, I prefer the Xperia S design. The One series still doesn't do much for me.

gNVez.jpg

Verge on battery:
Putting the Xperia S through an intensive run of shooting photos and video, occasionally activating Bluetooth and GPS, and keeping the screen on for extended periods of time, I managed to squeeze out 11 hours of battery life from it. That was padded out by an idle period near the end where only Gmail, Facebook, and Twitter syncing was happening in the background, but it’s still a strong showing. A more conventional usage scenario, one where email, browsing, music playback, and the sporadic game take up most of the time, should see the Xperia S easily lasting through a day and beyond. The 1,750mAh battery provided seems to be a good match for the phone’s power consumption, though I still would have preferred to see it made accessible to users who may want to swap out cells.

Camera:
With such a strong background, it's little surprise to find the Xperia S taking some splendidly detailed photos. I find its default processing turns out images that are a little low on contrast and occasionally saturation, but the central task of capturing a detailed scene is done very well and allows you to produce excellent results with just a little bit of extra tweaking.

So I've taken the plunge with the Lumia 800 to replace my aging HTC Desire.
Any recommendations for a few time waster games & more importantly, are there any good 3rd party web browsers that handle tabs properly (like xscope / dolphin browser on android)?

Here's hoping I don't regret not going for the HTC One S.

Troll

Banned
Until you turn it on and you see Android running. :lol

5KEb1.jpg

But seriously, a Windows Phone version of that phone would be my geek dream.
port begging isn't a bannable offense in the OT, right?

I never really liked the phone ever since I played with one, it felt bad in my hand and I didn't like the pizza crust. It is one of the phones that I could never understand why people really liked it, but that's what's great about opinions, huh?

maeh2k

Dammit brot, hammer those expectations down. It will all come crashing down come Wednesday.

e: one more thing I noticed yesterday concerning Monday, Geoff Keighley mentioned on twitter he going to the press event, invited by Microsoft. So, some sort of gaming spice is thrown in the pot as well.

I bet it's just about Xbox Music and XBox Video. It's related to both Xbox and Windows 8 (tablets), they haven't said much about it yet, and it's not that big of an event (the announcement of the event was a bit short notice...).

Windu

never heard about the cat, apparently
I bet it's just about Xbox Music and XBox Video. It's related to both Xbox and Windows 8 (tablets), they haven't said much about it yet, and it's not that big of an event (the announcement of the event was a bit short notice...).
yeah that is the most likely announcement

It's the easiest thing in the world to say that if Nokia went with Android everything will be rosy for them. Maybe it would have, but as you have pointed out, Samsung appear to be the only ones who are making any real money on Android. The rest are either making some money but not a lot, or not making anything at all.

Nokia has huge brand recognition in Europe. That + Android would definitely have secured it large market share. Whether that be at the high end where the money is though, I am not as certain (though it is very likely).

HTS were making huge money up until last year on Android. It was their failure to focus on a single flagship device that confused consumers and pushed them towards something more recognisable as being the top performer (Galaxy SII). There new One range is imo head and shoulders above the rest of the Android crowd so I would hope for some turn around of fortunes at least.

WP7 may still prove a good long term strategy for Nokia, but they need more help from MS & a proper hardware / software refresh soon. One thing the really screwed up was burying Symbian before establishing decent WP7 sales though. They could have transitioned a large number of Nokia owners from Symbian to WP7 if they had managed that effectively.

maeh2k

So I've taken the plunge with the Lumia 800 to replace my aging HTC Desire.
Any recommendations for a few time waster games & more importantly, are there any good 3rd party web browsers that handle tabs properly (like xscope / dolphin browser on android)?

Here's hoping I don't regret not going for the HTC One S.

Browsers on Windows Phone have to use the Internet Explorer rendering engine, so there isn't as much diversity among browsers.
However there are some browsers such as Surfcube (I think) that offer an alternative UI to the standard IE. I've only tried Surfcube and liked how it handles tabs, so you should check that out (free with ads, between 2 and 4 dollars for full version).

Complex Shadow

Cudi Lame™
I never really liked the phone ever since I played with one, it felt bad in my hand and I didn't like the pizza crust. It is one of the phones that I could never understand why people really liked it, but that's what's great about opinions, huh?
i gotta admit. i don't like the phone as much as the nexus (i actually hate all droids with custom skins which i ll go into more depth about later) just because of its curved back and thickness.

i gotta admit. i don't like the phone as much as the nexus (i actually hate all droids with custom skins which i ll go into more depth about later) just because of its curved back and thickness.

This is how you thank me? I let you in, I trained you. I basically adopted you. All that, just so you could stab me in the back? I'll remember that.

Browsers on Windows Phone have to use the Internet Explorer rendering engine, so there isn't as much diversity among browsers.
However there are some browsers such as Surfcube (I think) that offer an alternative UI to the standard IE. I've only tried Surfcube and liked how it handles tabs, so you should check that out (free with ads, between 2 and 4 dollars for full version).

Thanks I found that one but probably not really what I want.
Not so much a different engine needed but I really want something wioth proper page tabs.
I can see WP7 is gonna really change how I use my phone for browsing (and maybe make that portion somewhat more time consuming and frustrating).

Oh well, I hope the other benefits make up for it!

Joe

Thanks for the help guys.

If I can't get my grandfathered data plan on an OG Focus I think I'm going to bite the bullet - get a SHITTY new data plan, sign a shitty contract and get a Lumia 900...

Troll

Banned
Thanks for the help guys.

If I can't get my grandfathered data plan on an OG Focus I think I'm going to bite the bullet - get a SHITTY new data plan, sign a shitty contract and get a Lumia 900...

Wait til Wednesday at least, we might, just maaaybe get some upgrade news. Unless you don't care about potentially not being able to upgrade to Windows Phone 8. Then by all means.

VanMardigan

has calmed down a bit.
7" 1080p Oled Nokia Tablet with Nook, Smartglass, WinRT, Office, and LTE isn't expecting too much, that's a low hanging fruit.

StudioTan

Hold on, friend! I'd love to share with you some swell news about the Windows 8 Metro UI! Wait, where are you going?
7" 1080p Oled Nokia Tablet with Nook, Smartglass, WinRT, Office, and LTE isn't expecting too much, that's a low hanging fruit.

I have a 7" Galaxy tab that I use a lot. I'd sell it in a second if that was available.

where are you gonna go? the android OT. good luck with that, i heard their OP was shit, just like their OS. iOS? hope you don't fall asleep on the way there.

Yeah, I think the people in the Android thread should be my next target. There's still so much potential there, so many people to break. iOS can come after that. Apple fans are a bit harder to crack.

Or maybe I should do a feature phone OT. People still buy BlackBerry phones!

kharma45

I haven't heard any battery complains and the camera seems to be pretty good. Same with their ICS skin, which seems to be pretty light and close to stock, compared to TouchWiz and Sense. And I couldn't care less about the SoC, as long as it provides a smooth UX. Also, I prefer the Xperia S design. The One series still doesn't do much for me.

gNVez.jpg

Verge on battery:

Camera:

From Trusted Reviews about the camera

Sadly that most crucial of multimedia features, the camera, isn't as good as we'd expected. In good lighting you can just about notice extra detail over an 8MP model but pictures are incredibly grainy with loads of compression noise when blown up. We also found low light performance particularly poor with the phone both struggling to judge the correct exposure and having a weaker-than-usual flash.

Engadget called the camera "only superficially good" whilst PC Advisor said "Aside from the standard Android complaint of abysmal battery life, the phone is let down by its main control buttons – a triumph of art over function – and cluttered and out-of-date software."

Last thing on the battery was PC Pro describing it as 'abysmal', going to to continue with "We can’t say the same for battery life, though: in our 24 hour test the Xperia S was left with only 10% of its power pack left. It’s abysmal battery life that likely won’t see you through a working day, and it’s far lower than most rivals, with the HTC One X scoring 60% after the same test. We hope Sony will release a firmware update to improve the situation but, at the moment, it’s dire."

It's not that I'm saying it's a bad phone but it's not as good as it should've been for Sony's top of the range phone, and it just annoys me that they stuck the S3 SoC in when the S4 was available, but they did the same the year before with the Arc putting the S2 in when the likes of HTC were using the S3 in the Sensation.

The only clear area that the Xperia S wins is with the screen and memory, I like the look of both (I'd err towards the Sony) but the rest the One S is the better phone, plus as I'd mentioned before the capacitive buttons on the Xperia S are rubbish.

VanMardigan

has calmed down a bit.
The CNN app is available for everyone. What's interesting is that the Nokia published app is still listed separately for Nokia phones and seems to be missing at least one feature of the app we can all get: a scrolling header with the breaking news. That's a big deal because on the Nokia version you get a toast but when you open the app you won't find the story. The general availability app uses the header to expand on the toast notification for breaking news. I uninstalled the Nokia version for my wife and installed the regular one.

Vanillalite

Ask me about the GAF Notebook
So I had an "OH SHIT" moment this morning.

I had come in from doing some work around my GF's place, and we decided to check our phones during our break. All of a sudden my GF notices I'm freaking out, and I'm like well my phone just died on me.

Black screened on me and I couldn't get it back up. I ended up taking the battery out, and putting it back in. Then the Samsung Logo would pop up then the phone would just die again. Couldn't get it to work, and then I just said funk it I'll work on it when I get back to my place. Got back here and messed with it for a good 10 mins before I got it to turn back on.

Now I'm just scared to turn it off or reboot it at all again. :/

PS: I hate that Sony phone for the same reason Brot loves it. That stripe at the bottom is frick'n U to the gly and kills the look of an other wise decent looking phone. I also like the One X look the best out of any of the current crop of Android phones.

PS: I hate that Sony phone for the same reason Brot loves it. That stripe at the bottom is frick'n U to the gly and kills the look of an other wise decent looking phone. I also like the One X look the best out of any of the current crop of Android phones.

You're the Samsung phone owner. Don't blame me for your terrible taste.

Vanillalite

You're the Samsung phone owner. Don't blame me for your terrible taste.

Didn't you have a Samsung Omnia at one point?

Plus not like I had a choice. Wasn't like I was going to get the bulky, ugly, useless surround with it's dumb pop up speaker. Only choice was a Samsung phone. Heck even counting Android/iOS my only choices were a the android remix of my Samsung or an iPhone. Didn't have much choice.

I'll fully admit my phone is hardly going to win any industrial design competitions though.

Vanillalite

The two things I will say that I give ++ to Samsung for on my Focus is the weight (it's like the lightest phone I've ever used) and it's pretty good for working considering I've dropped this shit out of my phone over the past like 18 months.

hwalker84

Shit I dropped some homemade baked Mac and Cheese on my Lumia 900 and the grease got all on the mic and now no one can hear me. Damnit!!

VanMardigan

has calmed down a bit.
I'm just going to assume that most people in this thread are hopeless virgins, but for those of you who have not only made it with a woman, but have somehow managed to reproduce: Happy Fathers Day!! May your offspring come to know the value of a well designed user interface.

Also, leave brot alone before he rage-quits this thread and buys an xperia phone to spite us. We need him to build us a kick ass Apollo OT.

I'm just going to assume that most people in this thread are hopeless virgins, but for those of you who have not only made it with a woman, but have somehow managed to reproduce: Happy Fathers Day!! May your offspring come to know the value of a well designed user interface.

Also, leave brot alone before he rage-quits this thread and buys an xperia phone to spite us. We need him to build us a kick ass Apollo OT.

I can smell the alcohol

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom