• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Windows Phone |OT2|

Status
Not open for further replies.

Vanillalite

Ask me about the GAF Notebook
Come on, we all know the cool kids own android phones and the successful hipsters own iPhones.

Makes sense since I'm too old to be a kid (even though everyone who meets be thinks I'm like 12 years younger than I am). I'm also successful but not a hipster or their older cousin the yuppie. So of course I own a WP. :D

clav

Come on, we all know the cool kids own android phones and the successful hipsters own iPhones.

QIkJ9.gif

Vanillalite

This is why I love you WP-GAF! You guys actually have a good sense of humor, and you don't take all of this so seriously.

PS: I hope we are in such a good joking mood this time next week after all the MS info we should be getting.

Troll

Banned
This is why I love you WP-GAF! You guys actually have a good sense of humor, and you don't take all of this so seriously.

PS: I hope we are in such a good joking mood this time next week after all the MS info we should be getting.

I think we can take the jokes because deep down we think that WP is going to succeed. amiright

Commodore

I'm just going to assume that most people in this thread are hopeless virgins, but for those of you who have not only made it with a woman, but have somehow managed to reproduce: Happy Fathers Day!! May your offspring come to know the value of a well designed user interface.

Also, leave brot alone before he rage-quits this thread and buys an xperia phone to spite us. We need him to build us a kick ass Apollo OT.

Wife is due in November. Our first. Scared shitless, but excited for a tough climb ahead. Seems like there's got to be some sort of perspective I've yet to see once I put on some fatherhood pants. HYPE?

edit: What the crap, didn't know this: On the Bing Maps page with the directions, simply press and hold on the directions for the option to copy the directions, which can then be pasted into an email, text message, web page or other apps.

Milchjon

Everyone will be disappointed.

I won't, because I'm not getting my hopes up.

Still, it seems there's a lot of innovating at MS in the past few years, whether it's apps like Photosynth, stuff like Kinect and Surface, projects like Courier and all the stuff from those research lab videos. Yet MS never seems to leverage that, apart from Kinect. So I'm still waiting for the one thing that blows me away.

I think the Xbox Tablet will be a pretty big deal.

If it's green and made by Nokia, I'll buy it ;-)

JaggedSac

NPR just talked about the MS event today. lol, MS should have just told people what it was in regards to. Or perhaps put in the invitiation, "Don't get too worked up folks."

Talon

I had a dream about this event last night.

Stephen Elop comes out on stage to everyone's surprise and declares it a Nokia Windows joint event.

They first brought out a VP at T-Mobile to discuss the Lumia 710, but noisy gave a shit. That presentation went too long.

Then Elop came back out and introduced the new Windows 8 Tablet - the Lumia 720. It was a sportscar red tablet in the same vein as the 900 with full support from Xfinity, HBO Go, Netflix, and they showed XBox Live capabilities.

Then I woke up catch my 5:00 AM flight and wondered why I was such a goddamn nerd.

Vanillalite

If I've read correctly I think it's 3:30 PM PST aka USA West Coast Time. Don't hate me if I'm wrong though.

PS: I've decided if it's a 7" tab that's cheaperish with a good resolution I'll go in day 1.

hwalker84

I had a dream about this event last night.

Stephen Elop comes out on stage to everyone's surprise and declares it a Nokia Windows joint event.

They first brought out a VP at T-Mobile to discuss the Lumia 710, but noisy gave a shit. That presentation went too long.

Then Elop came back out and introduced the new Windows 8 Tablet - the Lumia 720. It was a sportscar red tablet in the same vein as the 900 with full support from Xfinity, HBO Go, Netflix, and they showed XBox Live capabilities.

Then I woke up catch my 5:00 AM flight and wondered why I was such a goddamn nerd.
The worst thing about awesome realistic nerd dreams like this is when the real thing isn't anywhere near as impressive.

Vanillalite

yep your right.

no hybrid ?

Hybrid laptop you mean? I don't really need it. Hell I just had only a desktop for a long time. I still have my free CR-48 I bum around with in my bag if I need to type shit. Honestly most of the time when I'm chill'n at my GF's place unless I'm making an |OT| I'm to lazy to take it out anyways. I just take out my phone. 7" tab just for my small use would be perfect for me, but I'm just not a big fan of the Android tabs out there, and I hate that the Fire is sort of it's own deal.

I got hyped earlier in the year with the rumors about Apple doing a 7", but I'd easily buy a Win 8 one too. Plus the price would be cheaper for my usage. As long as I don't need some dumb subscription to access content ala paying for xbox live I'd easily be down. My max price is $300, but the closer to $200 without feeling super cheapy the better. $250 would be a good sweet spot if it meant we get slightly better specs/build quality over a $200 version.

hwalker84

Called Nokia and they'll be fixing the device for free. Probably are going to wipe it :( or maybe it will come back with Tango installed :). Now I have to go to the AT&T store and get a loaner phone.

Vanillalite

Called Nokia and they'll be fixing the device for free. Probably are going to wipe it :( or maybe it will come back with Tango installed :). Now I have to go to the AT&T store and get a loaner phone.

Good luck with all of that! At least Nokia seems cool about fixing your issue without to much hassle on their end.

Milchjon

So I had to change the HDD in my laptop after it crashed and put a different version of Win7 on it.

Is there anything I need to know about transferring my phone? I want to make absolutely sure nothing gets overwritten since I don't have a backup of most stuff on it.

Can I just put the Zune client on it and everything else is smooth sailing?

Talon

Lol how?

Is there a live stream anywhere for the conference?
Sources tell me that a new tablet will be announced on Monday with Barnes and Noble. The two companies announced a “strategic partnership” in late April with Microsoft investing $300M into the joint business dubbed “Newco” for a 17.6% equity stake and Barnes and Noble owning 82.4%.

The event would be the first public showing of what the two have been working on and may answer the question of why the invite was so bare – because they haven’t announced anything yet and the joint operation has yet to be named. Another source says the tablet may be the first non-Xbox device to gain Xbox Live streaming capabilities, which might explain the location of the event.
Link

thirty

Banned
I heard gaming journalist got invited. MS hasn't even revealed the location. seems like they are making a big deal out of it. an Xbox branded gaming tablet using a modified version of RT (no desktop). well, I can see it being cheap since MS can force an XBL subscription to it. makes the rumored $199 pricing seem plausible. if it could run XBL arcade games like Trials with Xbox control pad connectivity, I can see it being successful.

Milchjon

Highly recommend Soundclouder as a metro app to access music from SoundCloud with no login required. App is free.

Seems nice, but what's up with the My Little Pony tile.

So I had to change the HDD in my laptop after it crashed and put a different version of Win7 on it.

Is there anything I need to know about transferring my phone? I want to make absolutely sure nothing gets overwritten since I don't have a backup of most stuff on it.

Can I just put the Zune client on it and everything else is smooth sailing?

Anyone?

Milchjon

I don't see why there would be any issues, honestly.

I thought Apple products were notoriously tricky to transfer due to copyright issues with your song library? And I just assumed MS would do it the same way. ;-)

Maybe I'm just ridiculously uninformed though.

I do. If the phone thinks it's a new PC, it could be trouble. It shouldn't wipe anything, but it'll be like a new sync relationship.

That's what I'm worried about. What are the implications of that?

Troll

Banned
I do. If the phone thinks it's a new PC, it could be trouble. It shouldn't wipe anything, but it'll be like a new sync relationship.

Yeah, I had a new PC and it needed me to go into the account and remove the old one then add the new PC. There weren't any issues with erasing my stuff, so that's what I mean.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom