• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Windows Phone |OT2|

Status
Not open for further replies.

NeOak

Now Microsoft... make a phone

500px-KIN_logo.svg.png

Brot, did you feel a slight jolt? Some feeling of hype and happiness cutting through your cynism?

Ehhhh. Nope, not really. I'm not disappointed, but it's really just ... whatever.

It does look nice, yes and the keyboard cover is clever. Maybe I'd get the Pro version, if I was in the market for a Windows 8 tablet. But in the end, it's really just another, better looking Windows 8 tablet. All the generic bullshit Microsoft mentioned about how it was build with Windows 8 in mind and whatever kinda pissed me off, to be honest. You're meeting your own minimum specs, congrats! It's a reference design and that's fine. I still want to see what Vizio can come up with.

oA1xd.jpg

Also, no price is kind of a buzzkill.

e: And just for the record: No, I am not Paul Thurrot.

Complex Shadow

Cudi Lame™
Ehhhh. Nope, not really. I'm not disappointed, but it's really just ... whatever.

It does look nice, yes and the keyboard cover is clever. Maybe I'd get the Pro version, if I was in the market for a Windows 8 tablet. But in the end, it's really just another, better looking Windows 8 tablet. All the generic bullshit Microsoft mentioned about how it was build with Windows 8 in mind and whatever kinda pissed me off, to be honest. You're meeting your own minimum specs, congrats! It's a reference design and that's fine. I still want to see what Vizio can come up with.
pagliacci
(Today, 09:18 PM)

I'm assuming Windows Phone is dead at this point, future phones will run Windows RT.

Nobody saw that coming I'm sure. From day 1, MS was positioning WP7 as a stop-gap. Well, the gap is closed now, WinRT is the future. All existing Windows Phones are presumably obsolete as of right now.

kehs

Banned
I'm assuming Windows Phone is dead at this point, future phones will run Windows RT.

Nobody saw that coming I'm sure. From day 1, MS was positioning WP7 as a stop-gap. Well, the gap is closed now, WinRT is the future. All existing Windows Phones are presumably obsolete as of right now.

-_-

Are you looking through my past posts.

-_-

Are you looking through my past posts.

Um, no?

Seeing the Surface tablet announcement, I just finally understood why everything was being Metro'd. Metro on a desktop PC is stupid and MS knows it, but they weren't Metrofying desktop Windows because it was for the desktop. MS wants Windows on desktops, laptops, tablets, and phones. ARM had finally reached the point where it was powerful enough to run Windows, so MS just said fuck it, let's put Windows on ARM and call it a day. Obviously, in a world where all Windows devices now run real Windows, Windows Phone is completely unnecessary and superfluous, therefore it is now dead.

I'm expecting on Wednesday MS will announce Windows Phone 8, which is actually Windows RT for phones.

I wonder what will happen to the millions of people who foolishly bought into WP7. I'm guessing they will be abandoned and left to die. People who bought WP7 at launch will be OK since their 2-year contracts will be up and they can upgrade to a WinRT, Android, or iOS device. Anybody who bought into WP7 afterwards will be fucked until their contracts are up, not unlike what happened to any poor fool who bought Windows Mobile 6.x after WP7 was announced.

JaggedSac

I wonder what will happen to the millions of people who foolishly bought into WP7. I'm guessing they will be abandoned and left to die. People who bought WP7 at launch will be OK since their 2-year contracts will be up and they can upgrade to a WinRT, Android, or iOS device. Anybody who bought into WP7 afterwards will be fucked until their contracts are up, not unlike what happened to any poor fool who bought Windows Mobile 6.x after WP7 was announced.

WP7 phones will receive a subset of the features of Apollo. Allowing them to be compatible with applications developed using the new Apollo APIs(those that do not require new hardware). So the couple million who bought WP7 will be able to use their phones for the next year the same as they have for the previous.

EDIT: I'm not going to make the poop bet on that statement though :|

clav

http://youtu.be/5hfYJsQAhl0

kehs

Banned
Um, no?

Seeing the Surface tablet announcement, I just finally understood why everything was being Metro'd. Metro on a desktop PC is stupid and MS knows it, but they weren't Metrofying desktop Windows because it was for the desktop. MS wants Windows on desktops, laptops, tablets, and phones. ARM had finally reached the point where it was powerful enough to run Windows, so MS just said fuck it, let's put Windows on ARM and call it a day. Obviously, in a world where all Windows devices now run real Windows, Windows Phone is completely unnecessary and superfluous, therefore it is now dead.

I'm expecting on Wednesday MS will announce Windows Phone 8, which is actually Windows RT for phones.

I'm just joking.

People used to tell me I was trolling when I rolled into the WP/W8 thread said pretty much what you're saying about a year/year and a half ago.

Commodore

Finally parsed what MS did today. Nice marriage between tablet and laptop, with options that veer more toward tablet, and more toward laptop, and with the built in kickstand and touchcover keyboard on both, makes for a fairly versatile device. Kinda eliminates a ton of my reservations about getting a tablet in general. That event thread was mighty humorous when the joking and scoffing at megaballmer pulled a 180 once that touch keyboard showed up. Overall pretty impressive, and not...disappointing. My only qualm, I think the only downside to the design is it looks like won't sit on your lap with any sort of ease. Other than that, Surface is pretty lustworthy.

I feel weird, I was thinking this was going to be the lowlight of the two events this week. Now I'm worried about the Apollo unveiling. They can't pull out two great reveals in one week. Not possible. Brot will asplode.

I'm just joking.

People used to tell me I was trolling when I rolled into the WP/W8 thread said pretty much what you're saying about a year/year and a half ago.

I'm pretty sure that MS announced that WP7 was just a stopgap when they first announced it. I just don't think people would have guessed that stopgap in this case meant 2 years of life and then as dead as Kin.

Honestly a tablet that has an Intel Core processor running Windows with a real touch interface is pretty much what people have wanted all along. MS is really late to this party but their tablet runs Photoshop and Office. At a good price point it will be a serious competitor to iPad, unlike all the Android tablets.

jagowar

Wednesday don't disappoint. IMO they had an incredibly strong showing tonight.

I hope to be surprised but I really am not expecting much out of wp anymore... just seems like real win8 it hitting on all cylinders in terms of consumer excitement after surface and they will eventually bring the full winRT experience to the phone. I think much of the dev for this release will have gone into winRT taking over under the hood so those apps can be ready for that transition.

Hopefully they show a ton of new features borrowed from win8 and needed enhancements as well as all the "under the hood" stuff. If they don't blow us away with wp8 then its going to be another bad year marketshare wise for wp imo.

Fjolle

You should really have waited till they announce what they are doing before you trolled.

Now you will just look silly tomorrow.

Vanillalite

Ask me about the GAF Notebook
When did MS change their logo?

Microsoft%20Logo.png

Probably the same time that MS hired that design firm that they held their shit at yesterday. I bet that design firm helped with the logo change, the video, the website look etc...

PS: I might get crap for this, but I think the heat is on in Google land now.

hwalker84

Probably the same time that MS hired that design firm that they held their shit at yesterday. I bet that design firm helped with the logo change, the video, the website look etc...

That venue looked amazing yesterday.

gcubed

for what? they obviously aren't competing with winrt since a license for it costs almost as much as the tablet they are going to release costs. Plus they can't really get any WORSE at the tablet space than they currently are.

Google seems to be ceding the premium tablet space to apple and is going to try competing with a low cost device (of which the other low cost device is selling gangbusters). MS has all the pressure on them to break into a space (consumer tablet... discounting the pro version) years late with a pile of "me too's" that are generally discarded for an ipad.

gcubed

I thought the sales of the Fire fell off the cliff after Q4?

well, it seems it did, it just reasserts my point that Google can't get any worse then where they are. I dont see something like winrt making a dent, i see the bigger dent being made by full blown windows on a tablet device... which they have to price right.

That venue looked amazing yesterday.
The Windoes Phone event will take place in a busted up abandoned warehouse.

well, it seems it did, it just reasserts my point that Google can't get any worse then where they are. I dont see something like winrt making a dent, i see the bigger dent being made by full blown windows on a tablet device... which they have to price right.
What makes you think people give a shit about full blown Windows on tablet devices?

News flash: MS has been crapping out full-blown Windows on tablet devices for the past decade now and no one has been buying them. Quite frankly, no one gives a shit about full-blown Windows on tablets.

Windows RT might've had a chance to put a dent in the iPad market, but they decided to shove a gimped desktop on there just so they can get Office running on mobile hardware--which does nothing but compromise the tablet experience and confuse consumers. Good game, MS.

gcubed

Come on now. Without a touch interface full blown windows was horrid on a touch device. Having metro for most things changes that, with the ability to use a mouse keyboard if need be on legacy desktop.

Complex Shadow

Cudi Lame™
am i the only one that misses the cut in the "O"

like i said earlier. i can't wait to see what google does. i am pretty sure windows RT will do just fine. people will be able to relate to windows branding, plus the PRO probably won't release till next year anyways.

Vanillalite

Ask me about the GAF Notebook

Google just needs another product hit. Chrome and Android phone iterations are doing fine, but those are just iterations of older products. Chrome OS is a non factor, and they haven't really made a big tablet space dent. Plus the Fire doesn't come with native Google marketplace access.

Just feels like Google needs another big hit like Chrome verses another semi hit/semi meh like G+ or total flop like Wave.

PS: I still think there is a ton of room in the 7" tablet space.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom