• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Windows Phone |OT2|

Status
Not open for further replies.

Walshicus

What makes you think people give a shit about full blown Windows on tablet devices?
The near universal expression of interest in Surface.

News flash: MS has been crapping out full-blown Windows on tablet devices for the past decade now and no one has been buying them. Quite frankly, no one gives a shit about full-blown Windows on tablets.
"News flash:" Surface looks to be the first coincidence of quality hardware, tablet interface and a full windows OS. That counts for a lot. There is a clear market for a device that works as both a consumer tablet on the go and a workstation which doesn't compromise itself in either area.

Windows RT might've had a chance to put a dent in the iPad market, but they decided to shove a gimped desktop on there just so they can get Office running on mobile hardware--which does nothing but compromise the tablet experience and confuse consumers. Good game, MS.
I'm not even sure what you're talking about here.

Troll

Banned
I wish the Kin never happened, then I could get legitimately excited about the prospect of an Microsoft branded WP. The Surface looks sick af.

I wish the Kin never happened, then I could get legitimately excited about the prospect of an Microsoft branded WP. The Surface looks sick af.

The KIN had only one good thing and that was the KIN Studio, nowadays knows as "your phone stuff in the cloud". If that doesn't happen tomorrow, I really don't know how to react.

tino

Banned
What I like about Surface is it bring MS/Apple/google fanboys into th same heated thread. Its like Nintendo announce a full scaled realistic FPS on E3 and go head to head with Halo and Killzone. :lol:

Milchjon

The KIN had only one good thing and that was the KIN Studio, nowadays knows as "your phone stuff in the cloud". If that doesn't happen tomorrow, I really don't know how to react.

Ah shit, Surface almost made me forget about tomorrow. How much are we gonna see and at what time is it?

I'm prepared to be disappointed.

Troll

Banned
Ah shit, Surface almost made me forget about tomorrow. How much are we gonna see and at what time is it?

I'm prepared to be disappointed.

9am PST.

I was in the mindset that this was going to be more of the same, but maybe... just maybe Microsoft is turning a corner. It's fun to watch.

Troll

Banned
It's crazy how Microsoft can keep Apollo and the Surface a secret, and iOS 6 and the iPhone 5 get leaked.

I never thought I would see the day.

VanMardigan

has calmed down a bit.
Poaching OS fanboys for OT-making purposes should be a bannable offense if it isn't already.

The nerve, you didn't even pm him, just outright daylight robbery attempt.

Brot is ours for at least another 24 hours, at which point Joe Belfiore decides if he becomes a free agent.

gcubed

Poaching OS fanboys for OT-making purposes should be a bannable offense if it isn't already.

The nerve, you didn't even pm him, just outright daylight robbery attempt.

Brot is ours for at least another 24 hours, at which point Joe Belfiore decides if he becomes a free agent.

he can do both, since he's bi-phoneal

derFeef

It just struck me, I know I am slow, but how are the chances of a MS WP8 hardware device? I already said it in the Surface thread (what a place) but a Zune-like Phone would be great.

Windu

never heard about the cat, apparently
It just struck me, I know I am slow, but how are the chances of a MS WP8 hardware device? I already said it in the Surface thread (what a place) but a Zune-like Phone would be great.
they have nokia for that

frontieruk

The near universal expression of interest in Surface.

"News flash:" Surface looks to be the first coincidence of quality hardware, tablet interface and a full windows OS. That counts for a lot. There is a clear market for a device that works as both a consumer tablet on the go and a workstation which doesn't compromise itself in either area.

I'm not even sure what you're talking about here.

Love my 800, but a slick Zune phone... mhh.
Tomorrow is all about Apollo right, no hardware rumblings? I am a bit out of the loop.

Tbh with ms managing to be tight lipped recently there could be... Nah who am I kidding, they'll talk about tango, mention a new sdk for Apollo is coming and maye show some of apollos features running on a lumia 900

Milchjon

My Lumia 800's battery is still shit after all the updates, but I'm still not fully committed to trying to exchange it due to having no backup (since my PC is still broken, not even a a backup of the media.). Meh.

VanMardigan

has calmed down a bit.
Is Apollo expected to be released for all WP7 devices tomorrow?

No, Tango may release starting tomorrow for existing devices. Apollo is currently expected for new devices launching this fall only. Existing phones are expected to get a subset of Apollo features.

DagsJT

No, Tango may release starting tomorrow for existing devices. Apollo is currently expected for new devices launching this fall only. Existing phones are expected to get a subset of Apollo features.

So they're kind of abandoning the likes of the Lumia 800, which hasn't even been out that long? Not cool.

Milchjon

So they're kind of abandoning the likes of the Lumia 800, which hasn't even been out that long? Not cool.

Well, there are going to be technological changes that make it impossible to bring full Apollo over. But as long as you get the features, why should you care.

DagsJT

To be honest, tethering is the only thing I'm really missing on my Lumia 800 so if that gets implemented then I guess I'd be happy enough with that.

Fjolle

To be honest, tethering is the only thing I'm really missing on my Lumia 800 so if that gets implemented then I guess I'd be happy enough with that.

That will come in Tango.

I have no idea what their plans for WP8 are.. Someone who should know just wrote that while we shouldn't expect magical unicorns, there should be something for existing WP users to be excited about. But the event is mainly aimed for developers...

Frost_Ace

My Lumia 800's battery is still shit after all the updates, but I'm still not fully committed to trying to exchange it due to having no backup (since my PC is still broken, not even a a backup of the media.). Meh.

I did an hard reset and now the battery life is fine.

Windu

never heard about the cat, apparently
Paul Thurott said on What the Tech to look at his site around 9:30 tomorrow. He said what he posts you won't need to look at the liveblog, says he already knows everything.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom