• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Windows Phone |OT3| Apollo has landed

Status
Not open for further replies.

Easy_D

never left the stone age
That or simply add a circle with a X to close out that app. Can't believe MS made no changes to that since Mango.

Hah, yeah. They got it right in the browser. Shit I'd actually like it if the interface for background apps looked the same as it does for the tabs in IE.

VanMardigan

has calmed down a bit.
Haha! Up late at night due to a crying baby and see this new PhotoBeamer app by Nokia on my twitter feed. Track it down in the store via my phone, go to my computer, load up photobeamer.com and scan the QR code and then some voodoo shit happens and suddenly I need to show it off to someone. Its was a total keanu reeves whoa moment. You guys are the closest thing I have at 4 in the morning. I'm now scrolling through my photo album on my phone, and seeing it on my computer in real time. Nuts! Nokia's Scalado acquisition might yield some cool stuff, case in point.

Magic picture show!

Uh, guys.......you gotta try this. This is frickin' magic.

VanMardigan

has calmed down a bit.
I wonder if I can get a friend with an iPhone or Android to pull up the web site on their phone, scan the code on their phone and then proceed to control their phone using mine. HA!

As far as I can tell, all you can do is re-size the picture, no? I don't see a way to show off multiple pictures, just to beam one photo. It would be great if I could then proceed to run a slideshow on the person's screen like you can do with DLNA. Edit: Nevermind, once you beam the first pic, you can then scroll through the other pics in the collection. Pretty neat. They should add a way to back out and then show just the pics you want. As it is, you can only go in sequential order once you beam the first pic.

Raistlin

For people trying out Weave, if you're having problems logging into your gReader account ... and update with an expected fix should be arriving in the store within the next week or so.

The best part about the magic photo sharing app is that it's getting ported to 7.5 by the end of the year. Mmm hmm...

Oh, and it also stealth-confirms that 7.8 is next year for Nokias, too.

Commodore

As far as I can tell, all you can do is re-size the picture, no? I don't see a way to show off multiple pictures, just to beam one photo. It would be great if I could then proceed to run a slideshow on the person's screen like you can do with DLNA. Edit: Nevermind, once you beam the first pic, you can then scroll through the other pics in the collection. Pretty neat. They should add a way to back out and then show just the pics you want. As it is, you can only go in sequential order once you beam the first pic.
I just tried it on a co workers Note 2. Works. And it was hilarious, especially not telling him what I was doing. New favorite thing to show off now.

Blackhead

Redarse

lol, I like how you already have a second request ready once you found out Nokia have foreseen the first one *Insert Louie CK gif*

I love what Nokia is doing with the camera apps. Might be worth getting the Lumia 920 just for taking pictures

8atMd.jpg

Red and black look really good together...but I want different color for my desk charger. First world problem surely.

Oh, can't find that picture beamer on marketplace :-

Especially HTC, who are entirely helpless and must kowtow to every carrier on customizing everything about the phone, including it's physical appearance.

Samsung would tell the carriers to take the phone the way it is or leave it. And they would get what they want. That's what happens when you're the #1 seller of smartphones worldwide.

TdJ86.jpg

No wonder Samsung devices are cheap garbage.

If only they could copy Apple's build quality.

i think you're confusing look with build quality.

Pretty much. S3 is not cheap garbage. It may not be unibody hard shell like a Lumia but it is in no way cheap garbage.

They are all made of polycarbonate. I never understood why the Lumia's polycarbonate was some special mythical bulletproof plastic but the Samsung's polycarbonate was cheap garbage. Either people don't know that the plastic is the same, or they are confusing the chintzy glossy plastic appearance the Samsungs have with the actual build quality, and the Samsung devices are known for being durable in real-world uses. I've thrown my old Galaxy Nexus across a room before against a wall and nothing happened to it.

thirty

Banned
The fake chrome on the S3 will chip off if you aren't using a case. You can also twist an S3 but can't twist a 920.

saw a video about myths in halo 4 and they proved that if you get a nokia lumia 920 ordinance drop to hit a mantis it will blow up the mantis so that is a pretty strong phone

They are all made of polycarbonate. I never understood why the Lumia's polycarbonate was some special mythical bulletproof plastic but the Samsung's polycarbonate was cheap garbage. Either people don't know that the plastic is the same, or they are confusing the chintzy glossy plastic appearance the Samsungs have with the actual build quality, and the Samsung devices are known for being durable in real-world uses. I've thrown my old Galaxy Nexus across a room before against a wall and nothing happened to it.

You are right it is the cheap plastic chrome and fake brush aluminum front that make the S3 look like garbage. Only the back cover I think is polycarbonate plastic.

maeh2k

:| I'll have to return it.

They'll probably fix it soon enough. Not something I'd return a phone over. Even if it takes lets say a month that's still a short time compared to how long people use a phone. You could try to get by with other messaging services for the time being. Like Facebook chat, Skype, GroupMe, SMS, ... (or carry an old phone running whatsapp over Wifi)

I wonder if an app like Whatsapp could make use of the new Windows Phone 8 features. It's not a VoIP app like Skype, but that level of integration (always on, integrated into contacts) would be nice. (with Skype you can go to a contact and directly message them using Skype)

Troll

Banned
The Translate app really isn't there yet. At least the Italian translations aren't. I decided to run it over some Italian text to see how it would fair, and it gave me back some pretty strange (and completely wrong) translations. Anyone else noticing this?

Hey, does anyone know if you can do NFC Transactions using the wallet in Canada? I have the 920 and am with Rogers, but when I open up the hub I can't see the fast cards section or see any mention of it in the settings.

... do I need a specific Sim Card or something to enable it?

Raistlin

yeah. Just tell them to pull up photobeamer.com on their phone, scan the QR code on their browser, and then proceed to swipe through your photo album on their phone. Crazy sounding just typing that.
Oh I get it. I thought you meant others could beam there photos to the site too.

What you're talking about sounds really awesome too though. Cool way to show people photos.

Can they actually swipe from their phone ... or do you have to swipe on yours (like with the site)? If it's the former ... holy shit that's nuts.

Commodore

Oh I get it. I thought you meant others could beam there photos to the site too.

What you're talking about sounds really awesome too though. Cool way to show people photos.

Can they actually swipe from their phone ... or do you have to swipe on yours (like with the site)? If it's the former ... holy shit that's nuts.

You swipe on yours, moves on theirs.

NeOak

I don't know how people can watch Hulu now. The amount of ads is ridiculous. I canceled my Hulu Plus sub.

Whoever said that a Hulu app was necessary for WP8 can go and die in a fire.

I don't know how people can watch Hulu now. The amount of ads is ridiculous. I canceled my Hulu Plus sub.

Whoever said that a Hulu app was necessary for WP8 can go and die in a fire.
It is, but I don't have cable TV. For 7 bucks I can watch a lot of shows and then shut it off during summer month. :/

Is the photobeamer app region exclusive? I can't seem to find it at the apps store. I have the 920. I don't really know how to install it manually. Please help ^__^;;;

Is the photobeamer app region exclusive? I can't seem to find it at the apps store. I have the 920. I don't really know how to install it manually. Please help ^__^;;;

Slow store rollout. It's not instantaneous.

Also, PhotoBeamer is coming to the 710, 800, and 900, too, before 31 December, 2012.

I wonder how much free space you guys leave on your phone.

Me, I try to keep at least 4 GB of free space (enough to record a video as far as the file system allows) + reserved space.

Raistlin

It wasn't in the North American region when I got it either.

I used the direct link from withing the WPCentral app. To be honest, that's where I get a lot of my apps from.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom