• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Windows Phone |OT3| Apollo has landed

Status
Not open for further replies.

frontieruk

anyone been able to figure out the trick to live tile notifications, namely facebook? mine had 10 notifications on there for a while & wouldn't change/disappear despite checking them out both on the phone and on the website. they then disappeared suddenly & now a new notification won't go away.
what am i doing wrong? :(

Still broken then... probably the app more than the new os but its been that way since 7

frontieruk

I also find that notifications on the people/me tile is better in Windows 8.

I find in general they all worked better in 8, while speaking subjectively I also find the live tiles work better on the nokias than the htcs, I'll never own a Samsung so cant comment.

BlueTsunami

there is joy in sucking dick
Both the Facebook app and the WP Facebook integration feel borked. Some notifications don't show up, one shows notification that other doesn't. My Photography folder on Facebook seems to not like playing with the WP integrated Facebook. Everytime I open up a new picture from it to see comments it jumps to an older picture and won't load my newer stuff. I've got like 200+ photos in that folder though. Fortunately I'm not having messaging issues like on WP7.5 where some FB messages wouldn't even go to my phone for no reason.

PG2G

anyone been able to figure out the trick to live tile notifications, namely facebook? mine had 10 notifications on there for a while & wouldn't change/disappear despite checking them out both on the phone and on the website. they then disappeared suddenly & now a new notification won't go away.
what am i doing wrong? :(

The Facebook app sucks and you need to back out of it after checking the notifications in order for them to clear out.

One thing I just learned: FM radio will work with any headphones or speakers, as long as it's wired, on a Windows Phone. It does not have to be a TDS connector.

VanMardigan

has calmed down a bit.
ArsTechnica and The Verge coming out with their catch-all smartphone guides.

http://arstechnica.com/gadgets/2012/12/the-state-of-the-smartphone/
http://www.theverge.com/2011/11/16/2565102/smartphone-buyers-guide

Well it's not bad, though you can see how the same thing is rated differently by both sides.

Under Photography:

theVerge said:
Nokia is also pushing hard in this space, but its cameras sometimes require a practiced hand to get a great shot.

What the hell is this all about? It's the second time the Verge has mentioned how apparently difficult it is to take pictures on Windows Phone. The first being in the 920 review and now this. What part of taking a picture on the 920 requires a "practiced hand"?

frontieruk

Under Photography:

What the hell is this all about? It's the second time the Verge has mentioned how apparently difficult it is to take pictures on Windows Phone. The first being in the 920 review and now this. What part of taking a picture on the 920 requires a "practiced hand"?

Using a hardware button, these guys grew up tapping the screen to take a picture, this blurry pics which is why the Nokia is to sharp 😉

lol
wp_ss_20121203_0001.png

notworksafe

Right now I'm running WP7 and my contract is almost up. I was thinking of moving up to a Lumia 920 but I had a question.

So Zune is not needed anymore, right? I see that there's a dedicated app for WP8 syncing. Can I just use iTunes to manage everything (music, podcast, video, etc) and still have it work properly (podcasts in the podcast section of the Music app, etc).

It sounds silly but I just really don't like Zune and would prefer to use iTunes to manage my music.

EDIT: Also how's the Twitter app situation on WP8? I'm using Carbon on 7 and it's okay but not the best.

hwalker84

Right now I'm running WP7 and my contract is almost up. I was thinking of moving up to a Lumia 920 but I had a question.

So Zune is not needed anymore, right? I see that there's a dedicated app for WP8 syncing. Can I just use iTunes to manage everything (music, podcast, video, etc) and still have it work properly (podcasts in the podcast section of the Music app, etc).

It sounds silly but I just really don't like Zune and would prefer to use iTunes to manage my music.

EDIT: Also how's the Twitter app situation on WP8? I'm using Carbon on 7 and it's okay but not the best.

I cannot answer your first question.

There's much better than Carbon now.

notworksafe

I cannot answer your first question.

There's much better than Carbon now.

Excellent! Any names, so I can remember for when I do get the phone? And are they available on WP7?

Also I only through out the 920 because it's advertised everywhere. Is there a more top of the line WP8 device?

Heretic

Excellent! Any names, so I can remember for when I do get the phone? And are they available on WP7?

Also I only through out the 920 because it's advertised everywhere. Is there a more top of the line WP8 device?
The Lumia 920, HTC 8x, and the unknown Ativ S are considered the high-end Windows Phones.

hwalker84

920 is top tier.

Rowi, gleek, cowlick, twabitt, twideep, etc.

Rowi is very very quick on my 8x. I don't know whether it's great for a 'power-user', but as someone who gets a few mentions and retweets here and there (along with some convos with good friends) it's perfect.

You can use the desktop sync app to do podcasts (that's all I've used it for previously, so I can't comment on the other functionality). I mostly just do podcast management on the phone because I'm always messing around with them at work.

bishoptl

Banstick Emeritus
Picked up my HTC 8x today, and as an added bonus made idle chit chat at the sales counter with the lead actor from "Arrow" who was updating his phone plan. Nice guy.

Now that I've updated most of my contacts and fucked around with it a bit:
- I can't make my default search engine Google, just Bing or Yahoo. lol
- Screen is gorgeous. The blacks aren't as true as I'd like, but colors just pop no matter what I select. Really, really nice.
- Why can't I change my incoming text/IM/email sound?

Picked up my HTC 8x today, and as an added bonus made idle chit chat at the sales counter with the lead actor from "Arrow" who was updating his phone plan. Nice guy.

Now that I've updated most of my contacts and fucked around with it a bit:
- I can't make my default search engine Google, just Bing or Yahoo. lol
- Screen is gorgeous. The blacks aren't as true as I'd like, but colors just pop no matter what I select. Really, really nice.
- Why can't I change my incoming text/IM/email sound?

Settings>ringtones+sounds

senahorse

Curious about the bolded. I was under the impression it automatically resized. I guess I've only tried pics taken with the phone (~2 megs). Are you trying something larger?

Only with pics taken from the phone, when sending via MMS it fails, gf's does it as well. Maybe it's a local carrier problem (Telstra in Australia).

Pachimari

Which apps are good for Windows Phone 7 on Nokia Lumia 800?

If I decide to unpack it tonight, I'll get these, not sure if they are available:

Viber
Spotify
Post DK Track & Trace
Dropbox
Netflix
Facebook
Metro Tube
Podcasts!
Plex
Markedplads
Lyrics
ConnectivityShortcuts
SkyDrive
Next Gen Reader
Amazing Weather
SmartGlass

Does the phone have a FM radio?

Coldsnap

Is there a good way to keep up with blogs on Windows 8 phone while also having a PC version? Or should i just stick with Google Reader?

maeh2k

Which apps are good for Windows Phone 7 on Nokia Lumia 800?

If I decide to unpack it tonight, I'll get these, not sure if they are available:

Viber
Spotify
Netflix
Facebook

Does the phone have a FM radio?

I believe those are all available on Windows Phone 7 and it does have FM radio.

Pachimari

Ugh, Spotify isn't out on WP7 here in Denmark and Viber seem to suck a lot. =/
Anyway, I'll store all of my own music on the Lumia, which I haven't done on my iPhone 5.

Is Nokia Transit pre-installed on Lumia 800?
Also, what is the app called that brings the wifi, 3g toggles to the tile screen?

But most importantly? Which is the best google Reader with Instapaper integration?

Easy_D

never left the stone age
Is Gmail still a bitch in WP8? What was that procedure to ensure it doesn't screw your shit up? Can't seem to find it.

Cipherr

Under Photography:

Its bullshit, thats what it is. I don't have a clue why, but they seem to be fucking allergic to admitting that the 920 is phenomenal for photos. It is the weirdest stand to take.

hwalker84

Now I'm worried. Cause my gmail is an integral part of my everyday. I use both gmail and google calendar. =/

When you setup your google account at the end it will say do you want to setup the ability to sync calendars, etc (something like that). Say yes and it will setup the account as a Google Sync account.

SCHUEY F1

Unconfirmed Member
Here is a tip for people new to the platform. While in email or browsing the web, if you highlight a word to copy you can also press the search button and it will do a web search on that word.

PG2G

Here is a tip for people new to the platform. While in email or browsing the web, if you highlight a word to copy you can also press the search button and it will do a web search on that word.

I must be doing something wrong, lol. Highlight the word... press search... bing loads... bing sits there

Bullza2o

I must be doing something wrong, lol. Highlight the word... press search... bing loads... bing sits there

Same here.

And for some reason today the Bing picture of the day and the picture sent to my lockscreen were different.

EDIT:
I had the same problem, you have to have Bing as the default search provider for internet explorer
boo lol. I like having both providers.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom