• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Windows Phone |OT3 Update 3| Please be excited

Status
Not open for further replies.

Lucius86

Banned
Switched to US settings and it looks like it's having to reinstall 8.1 (Cortana's there though).

Do we know what else will change? Very tempted to do the same.

Edit: Can I also say so far this update is bloody awesome. Massively impressed so far with the keyboard, shortcuts, new animations...loving it.

My next phone after my Lumia 920 may be a Windows Phone again after all.

StudioTan

Hold on, friend! I'd love to share with you some swell news about the Windows 8 Metro UI! Wait, where are you going?
Well, we'll probably become more ungentlemanly/ladylike, but other than that I'm not sure.

LOL.

I know with my Xbox One if I change the region to US I can't use my Xbox Music pass because it says I'm in the wrong region.

NeOak

8.1 installed. Still has Facebook in the people hub. Thank god,but the god damn comma is gone from the main keyboard screen.

I still tap on the top to see the battery and signal strength lol

And finally ordered that 32GB 1520. internal memory is still faster and the 128GB microSD is still OoS at Amazon :(

Edit: Data Sense! On AT&T! Set up to unlimited but it's nice to have.

Lucius86

Banned
8.1 installed. Still has Facebook in the people hub. Thank god,but the god damn comma is gone from the main keyboard screen.

I still tap on the top to see the battery and signal strength lol

And finally ordered that 32GB 1520. internal memory is still faster and the 128GB microSD is still OoS at Amazon :(

Edit: Data Sense! On AT&T! Set up to unlimited but it's nice to have.

On settings, go to system -> keyboard. Then click advanced, and select 'show a comma key when available. Just saw this looking at how to get Cortana on my GB phone.

It's amazing the little things that really improve the OS. Full date and battery indicator when you swipe down for notifications along with the settings link in there. In fact, the while notification centre is brilliant.

kazinova

Shit, my phone is like...130°. And it just shut down...

Turned it back on and the gears are back with a new bar...

How much for a 1520 off contract?

I had no idea that the option to change the size and amount of tiles was available on the lower resolution devices!

Edit: Not that the option for more tiles is particularly useful given the text size.

bigmf

Ok I've gone into language+region and everything now says English (United States) or some derivative of that. Removed the French (Canada) option under keyboard. Speech was always at English (United States). I did the restart, so I think I'm ready to go.

NeOak

On settings, go to system -> keyboard. Then click advanced, and select 'show a comma key when available. Just saw this looking at how to get Cortana on my GB phone.
Thanks, that did it.

8.1 seems a bit... Sluggish compared to WP8. Its just a tiny bit though, no big deal. I guess its the animations.

Everdred

1520 with 2 issues so far:

Bluetooth music no longer connects automatically in my car. Voice does but music requires me to stop and start bluetooth.

I hate that games show in my app list now, it totally craps up the list. Any way to change this?

kazinova

Gears are spinning again. Progress bar is back to ~10% (the only state it has).

I'm going to pretend everything is going to work out fine.

Ape

Banned
So, David Pierce reviewed iOS 7 and WP 8.1 giving both the same score. That's pretty incredible for the Verge because they are so anti Microsoft, right?

hadareud

The Translator
LOL.

I know with my Xbox One if I change the region to US I can't use my Xbox Music pass because it says I'm in the wrong region.

Music pass works when set to US, just tried it.

Was worried for a second, that would have been a killer.

Cortana understands me very well btw.

Ghost

Chili Con Carnage!
They need to get this into the public ASAP. Finally feels like an honest usable phone now it has a notification centre, plus the keyboard and the fact it's generally the most pleasant mobile OS to use I'm tempted to take my main SIM out of my Nexus 4.

What the verge say is right though, it's still the ecosystem holding me back from doing it.

Only thing that really still annoys me is the way they lay out the settings, it's totally impossible to find anything/remember where anything is in the list.

How can I really change the language? It only lets me add languages. Now it has both German and English installed and I can't really switch the primary language nor remove German.

Add the US language, and if it doesn't set it as default after it has downloaded just tap/hold and move it to the top of the list.

derExperte

Damn, as a prepaid user who rarely uses internet access when not in range of wifi I was looking forward to being able to activate/deactivate mobile data via the quick settings but you can't select that option. Also when wifi is on pressing the button doesn't turn it off immediately and instead opens the wlan options.

Nero3000

You guys are hogging all the bandwidth. My download is very slow.

This is Microsoft...they have enough bandwidth on their end.

Damn, as a prepaid user who rarely uses internet access when not in range of wifi I was looking forward to being able to activate/deactivate mobile data via the quick settings but you can't select that option. Also when wifi is on pressing the button doesn't turn it off immediately and instead opens the wlan options.

Have you tried holding down the wifi button?

NeOak

WOW, this phone wants to download everything through Wi-Fi.

I've had to configure a lot of stuff so it just abuses my unlimited data.

hadareud

The Translator
The music app is shit. As shit as the standalone one they released on 8.0.

So slow, so buggy, so awful. Come on MS, wtf.

kazinova

Glory be, the progress bar has revealed a new state of existence. It now has access to 5%, 10% and 50%. Will wonders never cease...

kehs

Banned
Is the verge review wrong though?

MS basically had to follow UI trends because they neglected to implement functionality in a different way.

kazinova

Migrating data, despite overheating and shutting off during the update. I'm actually mildly impressed it managed to deal with a catastrophic failure without bricking the phone.

Kudos, WP update team. Kudos.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom