• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Windows Phone |OT3 Update 3| Please be excited

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Flash

Banned
61880-George-Michael-its-happening-i-dNrF.gif

StudioTan

Hold on, friend! I'd love to share with you some swell news about the Windows 8 Metro UI! Wait, where are you going?
Just woke up, phone is doing the first preparation update and taking it's sweet time to do it. The little bar has barely moved.

Zeknurn

It's too bad they killed the Vergecast because I would like to hear them completely dismiss any changes made in this update.

maeh2k

The new keyboard works really well.

I'd really like to see an in-depth comparison of the different shape writing algorithms of Windows Phone, Swype, Android 4.1, and previous research (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/ShapeWriter)

With a well chosen background, I'm totally okay with the new start screen customization. For now I've left my start screen completely unchanged. No image and two columns.

stktt

Banned
Hey, going from a 7.9 to an 8 is quite the accomplishment. The ecosystem has increased by an entire point over the past 18 months.

hwalker84

Nice. You can automatically move all your installed apps to the SDCard. I was fearing i'd have to uninstall and reinstall.

In my brief usage I say to the WP team bravo, well done!
It's about damn time :)

PG2G

Awesome to wake up to this. I was afraid I was gonna have to duck out of work and sit in a Starbucks for an hour :p

Sordid

The pre update update took forever on my 920! It took less than 5 minutes on my parter's 8x.

Edit: Now I can't download the big update (error 80072ee2), looks like the update server is getting hammered.

StudioTan

Hold on, friend! I'd love to share with you some swell news about the Windows 8 Metro UI! Wait, where are you going?
Switching region to US makes Cortana show up in the store according to someone on wpcentral. Good.

I'm going to try switching my region before doing the 8.1 update and see what happens. Still migrating data right now on the first update.

"WE'RE GETTING THERE…
…and it will be worth the wait."

Hey, Micropoo, how about you let me decide if it will be worth the wait, okay?! Damn pretentious hipster bunch.

25mins in 96% preparation I refuse to believe my shitty works internet connection downloaded a file that takes this long to prepare so quickly

It really does take a while.

Ape

Banned
I have an error on a phone PROCESS1_INITIALIZATION_FAILED any of you guys get that?

Seriously, my phone just BSOD'd me.

Paganmoon

ok, most things reconfigured, had to restart one more time to get Glance to work again, but noticing just a tiny bit of flickering on the screen when I swipe from the metro interface to the applist, the text on the applist seems to flicker during the transition. other than that, omg, notification center... so good!

On a 1020 btw

Edit:
Password sync! so far loving this update

Ape

Banned
Should I try a soft reset....

Did it recover from it? You are instilling some fear in me.

No, not yet. I googled the error and it's a Windows proper error. This is crazy lol.

The phone just has a blue screen, says 0% complete and then underneath says "If you'd like to know more, you can search online later for this error. PROCESS1_INITIALIZATION_FAILED"

I'm going to try switching my region before doing the 8.1 update and see what happens. Still migrating data right now on the first update.

Changing region doesn't enable it, so I'm guessing you'd have to change speech/language too. There seems to be a bit of confusion on wpcentral, so I don't know if it'll work.

StudioTan

Changing region doesn't enable it, so I'm guessing you'd have to change speech/language too. There seems to be a bit of confusion on wpcentral, so I don't know if it'll work.

Yeah, I just changed all 3 to US to be sure and after a restart it's downloading 8.1. I guess I'll find out soon!

maeh2k

Is the 'upgrade call to Skype video chat' functionality as utterly useless as I imagine it to be? That is, does the person you call also need a Windows Phone (which basically no one has)?

If that's the case (don't know how it would work any other way) then it's about as pointless as the Rooms feature of Windows Phone 8 that virtually no one can really use.

JaggedSac

Is the 'upgrade call to Skype video chat' functionality as utterly useless as I imagine it to be? That is, does the person you call also need a Windows Phone (which basically no one has)?

If that's the case (don't know how it would work any other way) then it's about as pointless as the Rooms feature of Windows Phone 8 that virtually no one can really use.

Can you configure Skype information per contact? Account name, email, number?

hadareud

The Translator

I'd imagine that it would also work if someone calls your mobile number via skype.

kazinova

Second set of spinning gears. Getting excited for no reason.

Also, the wife has the same phone as me, so the Skype video upgrade is a killer feature for us.

Simple solution to wanting to use Rooms/etc. Convince people you know to switch. Done and done.

"For the first time, Windows Phone 8.1 feels obvious. That is of course largely because it now works much the same as Android and iOS, but I could now hand my Lumia 1020 to my iPhone-wielding mother and she’d quickly understand how to use it."

Finally the OS becomes manageable for iOS users now that it has the same notification center that iOS didn't have until recently!

ijDLJylNv01NI.gif

hadareud

The Translator
Switched to US settings and it looks like it's having to reinstall 8.1 (Cortana's there though).

Nah, the gears come into action if you change language settings etc, it's not the full update again.

Not that it makes a difference from a time perspective.

Finally I get to watch some more gears and migrating action!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom