• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Windows Phone |OT3 Update 3| Please be excited

Status
Not open for further replies.

NeOak

I believe its the tweaked WP8.1 version. I just deleted Facebook Beta for now.

Yup, seems like it. Downloaded and installed.

And wow, everytime I open IE to check this thread it has to reload the page. Its eating RAM for breakfast o.o

Edit: If you had Facebook already set up in the people hub, it will still be there when you update to 8.1, but as soon as you install the new Facebook app the old sync will go the way of the dodo and you'll have to rely on the app. So far it syncs fine, but I'll have to check it out.

Vestal

HOLY FUCK at the new Tab IE FEATURE..

I can see what my other IE 11 browsers are seeing by machine name.. HOLY FUCK HOLY FUCK.

Game changer for me.. Being able to read something on the PC, and say hey I am going to the other room boom take phone and continue reading without have to search the URL?!?! GAME FUCKING CHANGER

I can see what my other IE 11 browsers are seeing by machine name.. HOLY FUCK HOLY FUCK.

Game changer for me.. Being able to read something on the PC, and say hey I am going to the other room boom take phone and continue reading without have to search the URL?!?! GAME FUCKING CHANGER

iwiWT8qIDqrVn.gif

HO
LEE
SHIT

I'm always like "ima open this tab and read it later" and then I leave that machine and lose track of what I wanted to read, across three different machines, this is great.

HO
LEE
SHIT

I'm always like "ima open this tab and read it later" and then I leave that machine and lose track of what I wanted to read, across three different machines, this is great.

I still cant believe how far advanced Google is when it comes to Sync and the cloud... Microsoft is still playing catch up. Google has had this feature on Chrome (across devices) for over a year now albeit good to see Microsoft making moves.

bigmf

I want to complain about how long this is taking, but if you think about it critically, it's pretty quick for what it's doing.

Migrating your data (Step 13 of 19) 67%

Vyer

I still cant believe how far advanced Google is when it comes to Sync and the cloud... Microsoft is still playing catch up. Google has had this feature on Chrome (across devices) for over a year now albeit good to see Microsoft making moves.

You can also do this across iOS devices with Safari. It's a neat feature.

• the podcast app is good (or rather good enough for me) and unlike the old new music app, it has it has a scrubber!
  • the new xbox music app still doesn't have a scrubber
  • therefore: bing team >>> xbox team
  • like I said, I like the new animations and all the little details, I'm a sucker for that
  • cortana still needs a lot of work (surprising no one)
  • the podcast app slows a bit down during the back animation
  • close button on the multi tasking view is redundant now, but I get why it's still there. still!
  • loading screen, when I went to the battery view in the settings. really?
  • the back animation under cortana -> interests is too fast
  • why can't I configure the headlines?
  • love that swiping back -> back button is now in IE Mobile, too!
  • Games are now in the app list and it's a pain in the ass. any way to turn that off?
  • photo hub still doesn't play gifs, booo!
  • FM Radio has now it's own app! You can now pin individual stations and switch to speakers, too!

Chrome's implementation, for whatever reason, doesn't work consistently enough for me. I THINK it might be because I leave the browser window up for a looong time, but the tabs it lists on my other machines aren't always accurate or they're missing.

Podcast app can find my obscure podcasts! YES!

Also, I feel like I missed the part where we got global search in Bing. I know MS is super late on this, but it is MUCH appreciated.

StudioTan

Hold on, friend! I'd love to share with you some swell news about the Windows 8 Metro UI! Wait, where are you going?
Holy fuck is the new keyboard fast, especially when I realized you don't even need to put in spaces. It's really good at finding the word too, I really messed up writing "keyboard" when I was texting my girlfriend and it found the correct word anyway.

Also *flame shield on* I really like the extra row of tiles. It's different when it's your own stuff pinned, it doesn't seem cluttered at all.

Only thing that really still annoys me is the way they lay out the settings, it's totally impossible to find anything/remember where anything is in the list.

I don't think anyone is happy with the settings.

I really like the reading mode for long articles. It's the little open book on the URL bar.

Also, if you have used IE on some of your websites, there's some other things in IE that people haven't noticed yet (AFAIK). It's especially more useful if you use IE on multiple devices/phones.

maeh2k

Just did. Cortana is now living in my device. She calls me Chief, for now.

For now I've kind of given up on installing Cortana. Just installing English (US) and moving it above German doesn't do anything. Maybe I'd have to do a hard reset or something to successfully change the primary language.

Right now I'm playing around with the three column layout. I'll try to find a decent configuration and then compare that to my previous two column configuration. We'll see how much I like it then.

PG2G

Sad to see the Xbox Music app hasn't been updated. The fact that it is now a standalone app means that they could easily push something out before the official release of the OS though.

Either that or they are working on a universal app.

Mario007

Guys would anyone of you be kind enough to tell me how to register as a developer and download the update? I've seen a few methods online but they seem to be contradicting. One of them, for example, has me downloading the WP 8 SDK while another doesn't mention it at all.

bigmf

Holy crap, Cortana is cool and I didn't even think it would work for me.

Edit: So I guess I can delete my screenshots app, right?

Sad to see the Xbox Music app hasn't been updated. The fact that it is now a standalone app means that they could easily push something out before the official release of the OS though.

Either that or they are working on a universal app.

Podcasts, music, video, calendar can all be updated separate from the OS. You should see bugfixes and updates far quicker than ever before.

• the new xbox music app still doesn't have a scrubber I hope that a store update will address this oversight.
  • therefore: bing team >>> xbox team
  • cortana still needs a lot of work (surprising no one) It's come a long way in a very short amount of time. I am excited to see how it evolves as everyone uses it. It isn't tied to the OS, so quick-ish updates are very possible
  • close button on the multi tasking view is redundant now, but I get why it's still there. still! The swipe was implemented before the X. Testing did not go so well for the swipe alone, so the X was added.
  • Games are now in the app list and it's a pain in the ass. any way to turn that off? unfortunately not.

hwalker84

Guy's this is a much bigger leap than WP7-7.5.

Swipe keyboard question. How to you quickly select the word. Swipe up to it? Swipe down to spacebar?

For now I've kind of given up on installing Cortana. Just installing English (US) and moving it above German doesn't do anything. Maybe I'd have to do a hard reset or something to successfully change the primary language.

Right now I'm playing around with the three column layout. I'll try to find a decent configuration and then compare that to my previous two column configuration. We'll see how much I like it then.

settings -> speech -> English (United States)

StudioTan

Hold on, friend! I'd love to share with you some swell news about the Windows 8 Metro UI! Wait, where are you going?
It doesn't seem like there is a lot of interaction with Cortana. 90% of what I ask her just leads to a web search.

maeh2k

settings -> speech -> English (United States)

Doesn't work for me. It just installs English next to German but doesn't switch the primary language to German. And I can't remove German, either. When I also set the region to the US and reboot everything still stays German.

hwalker84

It doesn't seem like there is a lot of interaction with Cortana. 90% of what I ask her just leads to a web search.

It seems she's very much a beta at the moment. From my understanding she's getting smarter the more we use her with server side updates. Eventually she will be much more natural. Also Jen Taylor needs to record some more dialog.

Commodore

At work now, but excited to get my 920 updated. Keep impressions flowing! Time to find a great minimalist background in a color I've never been able to select that looks awesome.

derFeef

I can't turn off WIFI via the drop down menu.. it takes me to the settings page. Ugh.
edit: Apparently because there are other networks, let me check if I can fix this.

SCHUEY F1

Unconfirmed Member
If my country is set to US and I buy an app, will I still be able to buy it later when Cortana comes to Canada and 'I change my region?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom