• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Windows Phone |OT3 Update 3| Please be excited

Status
Not open for further replies.

kharma45

46320144.jpg

hwalker84

bought the icon this morning after ogling my coworkers for an hour. The screen feels like a mini tablet for browsing the web, yet is only minutely bigger than the 928. The screen feels like it is more edge-to-edge than the 928, but it is deceptive because this occurs simply due to Screen's bigger size resulting in an increase in screen-to-chrome ratio. Reading articles on The Verge, Engadget, Ars Technica, Anandtech, etc etc were never poor on the 928, but the increase in pixel density was suprirsingly noticeable.

The edges around the device are a clear step up from the 928, and the metal(?) buttons are five tiers ahead of the mushy plastic 928 buttons. The matte backing feels better in my hand, and it looks to be a better white than the glossy white on the 928. Also a design win is NOKs severe chopping of in the Verticle aspects of the device. The top chrome is cut in half, and the bottom chrome is perhaps 5/6 of the 928. The device is thick, but, like the 928, doesn't feel massive because of the curved back. I don't mind it, but I can certainly see why others would.

The 8974 in the device is really snappy. Install times were very quick (sorry about that, part of slow install times are my team's fault), and rendering HTML on some chunkier sites on 928/8X was much faster than I was expecting. Solitaire was noticeably faster, and load times on a couple of the games I tried seemed to have been cut in half (though that might just be bias as there was no side-by-side comparison).

I probably should have waited to see if NOK has some new phones for Verizon with the next version, but last time I said that the 928 took four or so months to come out. My 928 has a crack in it, and, after playing with a coworker's delicious new gadget, envy holds a certain place in my subconscious...constantly subverting my willpower.

Are you guys able to take a device like this and install test versions of the OS on production hardware?

jagowar

Back on the windows phone train.... finally moved to tmobile and got a 925 so I can be ready when 8.1 comes (hopefully they will release it for the 925)

KageMaru

Sounds great. Hope it comes to Canada at some point. How is the weight?

TBH I'm not the best person to talk about weight. I've read plenty of comments on how heavy the device is, but I just don't notice it. Unfortunately since I had to trade in my 928, I can't tell you how they compare in weight when held.

bought the icon this morning after ogling my coworkers for an hour. The screen feels like a mini tablet for browsing the web, yet is only minutely bigger than the 928. The screen feels like it is more edge-to-edge than the 928, but it is deceptive because this occurs simply due to Screen's bigger size resulting in an increase in screen-to-chrome ratio. Reading articles on The Verge, Engadget, Ars Technica, Anandtech, etc etc were never poor on the 928, but the increase in pixel density was suprirsingly noticeable.

The edges around the device are a clear step up from the 928, and the metal(?) buttons are five tiers ahead of the mushy plastic 928 buttons. The matte backing feels better in my hand, and it looks to be a better white than the glossy white on the 928. Also a design win is NOKs severe chopping of in the Verticle aspects of the device. The top chrome is cut in half, and the bottom chrome is perhaps 5/6 of the 928. The device is thick, but, like the 928, doesn't feel massive because of the curved back. I don't mind it, but I can certainly see why others would.

The 8974 in the device is really snappy. Install times were very quick (sorry about that, part of slow install times are my team's fault), and rendering HTML on some chunkier sites on 928/8X was much faster than I was expecting. Solitaire was noticeably faster, and load times on a couple of the games I tried seemed to have been cut in half (though that might just be bias as there was no side-by-side comparison).

I probably should have waited to see if NOK has some new phones for Verizon with the next version, but last time I said that the 928 took four or so months to come out. My 928 has a crack in it, and, after playing with a coworker's delicious new gadget, envy holds a certain place in my subconscious...constantly subverting my willpower.

All of this X1000.

The phone feels incredibly solid. Held a friend's S4 last night and it just felt cheap compared to the Icon.

maeh2k

Wonder how long it'll take to get Cortana on Windows Phone and Windows in Germany. It's probably going to take for fucking ever. Especially on Windows.

I have the Icon, I'm loving is so far.

I left sprint because service SUCKS, what's unlimted service when you never have good service. I'll take the cap.

Verizon is the best here in the DC area and I wanted a Windows Phone, so I jumped on the Icon from an iPhone.

My one app complaint NIKE+ ... :-( ... DON'T TELL ME ALL ABOUT FITBIT EITHER. All my friends are on Nike+.

Razdek

Banned
I really hope they announce some new phones when they officially reveal WP 8.1 and that they come out relatively quick. If they announce it and the phones don't come out until the fall then it will be a big fail.

Someone vote pl0x
http://windowsphone.uservoice.com/f...estions/5550409-text-extraction-from-pictures

Basically, you take a picture and the phone is able to recognize the text in the picture and allow you to dial, text, or save the information in it such as phone numbers or names

so you dont have to take a picture save it for later then have to write it down and then retype it into the phone.

They have this feature in windows live or skydrive, it should be easy for them to implement into the phones

Someone vote pl0x
http://windowsphone.uservoice.com/f...estions/5550409-text-extraction-from-pictures

Basically, you take a picture and the phone is able to recognize the text in the picture and allow you to dial, text, or save the information in it such as phone numbers or names

so you dont have to take a picture save it for later then have to write it down and then retype it into the phone.

They have this feature in windows live or skydrive, it should be easy for them to implement into the phones

Don't they already have this tech in use with OneNote and Windows 8?

When do y'all think GSM Arena will do a battery test?

Given the godliness of the 1520's 3250mah battery, I hope the Icon strikes a nice balance between it and the 925/928.

PG2G

Someone vote pl0x

You should look up Office Lens in the WP8.1 rumors/leaks.

KageMaru

One minor problem so far is the new column of tiles. Not sure why, but I've been having issues arranging the tiles around that I'm happy with. I had everything set and looking great on my 928, but haven't come to the same point on my Icon. Has anyone else with an icon or 1520 experience this?

More first impressions on the Icon: The bigger battery seems to be canceled out by the 1080p screen and quad core processor.

My experience has been a bit different so far. Battery life appears better than my 928, but definitely nowhere near the reports we've seen for the 1520. Still with that said, it would have been nice if they would have at least used a 2600 mAh battery just for that extra bit of juice.

My experience has been a bit different so far. Battery life appears better than my 928, but definitely nowhere near the reports we've seen for the 1520. Still with that said, it would have been nice if they would have at least used a 2600 mAh battery just for that extra bit of juice.
I suppose I'm jumping the gun as I've only had it a day and a half. I'll continue to play around with it some more.

Remember to let the battery completely drain. Then try to boot the device again.Maybe its a myth, but for some reason I remember that helping calibration....

If this is true the Nokia handset division just gave MS the middle finger. Why would they bring out a high end phone knowing that MS has bought them out? What kind of support would it have?
It probably their roadmap and they have to continue until buyout is complete. I sm sure MS will kill it as soon as the acquisition is done.

Ganondolf

If this is true the Nokia handset division just gave MS the middle finger. Why would they bring out a high end phone knowing that MS has bought them out? What kind of support would it have?

I think MS has approved it. If you look at the leaks it has a wp look and heavy use of MS services. If MS did not approve it I think they would stop there products being heavily use in it. Saying that I don't think the rumour is true about a high end version coming out. I think this is to replace the asha range and will have devices with asha range specs.

maeh2k

I think MS has approved it. If you look at the leaks it has a wp look and heavy use of MS services. If MS did not approve it I think they would stop there products being heavily use in it. Saying that I don't think the rumour is true about a high end version coming out. I think this is to replace the asha range and will have devices with asha range specs.

What Microsoft services does it use? I wasn't aware of any. I don't think Microsoft has any say in this and they surely don't have to approve if anyone else uses flat icons.

Ganondolf

What Microsoft services does it use? I wasn't aware of any. I don't think Microsoft has any say in this and they surely don't have to approve if anyone else uses flat icons.

It uses services like Skype and onedrive (skydrive) which it looks like it has official apps (may be repackaged android apps) which MS must let them use as it does not have access to the play store but only Nokia's app store.

The Nokia X has Windows Phone specs and not Asha specs, though.

It probably their roadmap and they have to continue until buyout is complete. I sm sure MS will kill it as soon as the acquisition is done.

I really don't know why the phrase "they should Kin it" hasn't made it into the conversation about the phone.

maeh2k

It uses services like Skype and onedrive (skydrive) which it looks like it has official apps (may be repackaged android apps) which MS must let them use as it does not have access to the play store but only Nokia's app store.

Of course it makes sense for Microsoft to make their services available on non-Google Android. But don't expect anything other than the regular Android apps.

KageMaru

There are very strict rules prohibiting Microsoft from interfering with Nokia's roadmap before the acquisition. They couldn't approve or stop the manufacturing of Android devices even if they tried.

There are very strict rules prohibiting Microsoft from interfering with Nokia's roadmap before the acquisition. They couldn't approve or stop the manufacturing of Android devices even if they tried.

If only China would stop holding up the acquisition process by reopening and closing investigations again and again. Then we could see what the true thoughts are.

Ganondolf

true, but nokia would have delayed or scraped the project to keep MS happy. remember the shareholders wanted the deal and they would not do anything to annoy MS before the deal is complete. also even though MS does not have a say in releasing the phone they would have a say in their apps (skype etc) and they would not put the app on it if MS wanted to stop or scrap the project once the buyout was complete (which is expected before the end of march).

zatara

Got my icon yesterday and its a step up from the 928 in every way besides not having glance. It feels better to hold by a mile, I got rid of my 928 cause it just felt too sharp. Plus the extra tiles really make the glance & go of windows phone so much better.

wish they packed a bigger battery though, then again I'm coming from a note 3 so anything will be worse.

overall im happy as hell and glad to be back on WP.

But the Verge said the design is a 5!!!!!
Seems they care more about looks than build quality, because that score makes sense when you consider the Icon is the blandest Lumia design yet. The backside looks like some generic HTC or LG phone, no doubt due to Verizon's requests.

nillapuddin

(I will likely always be in the Sprint family)

is there ever hope of getting a cool suite of Windows Phones to choose from? I really want to take the jump when the next update hits

It seems Verizon gets the pick of the litter, right?

VanMardigan

has calmed down a bit.
(I will likely always be in the Sprint family)

is there ever hope of getting a cool suite of Windows Phones to choose from? I really want to take the jump when the next update hits

It seems Verizon gets the pick of the litter, right?

At&t gets the best phones. T mobile gets good variety, Verizon gets decent flagships. Sprint....lol

maeh2k

So, what is Microsoft going to do at their MWC press event tomorrow?
There are no new phones and the real Windows Phone 8.1 blow-out will supposedly come in April.

KageMaru

So, what is Microsoft going to do at their MWC press event tomorrow?
There are no new phones and the real Windows Phone 8.1 blow-out will supposedly come in April.

I would love to see a preview of WP8.1 but we'll probably just get boring useless stats about growth and outselling the iPhone in some developing countries. Maybe some app announcements?

I'm not expecting much.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom