• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Windows Phone |OT3 Update 3| Please be excited

Status
Not open for further replies.

maeh2k

BhKxTd-CYAA-yHg.png

The 630 looks great. If they finally move up to a higher resolution (1280x768) this might be an outstanding device and a great Moto G competitor.

Razdek

Banned
The 630 looks great. If they finally move up to a higher resolution (1280x768) this might be an outstanding device and a great Moto G competitor.

Depends on how they price it. This is the same company that tried to charge $199 for the 525 and all that had was a 512 MB upgrade.

MCD

Let’s look quickly at what Microsoft did today.

•Removed hardware key requirements, for front facing buttons and camera

•Added support for more Qualcomm Snapdragon chipsets, including the 200, 400 and 400 LTE versions for even lower-cost phones

•Reference design program through Qualcomm gives manufacturers a scaffold to start their own Windows Phone

http://www.wpcentral.com/windows-phone-losing-hardware-differentiation

The gutter was the beginning of the end.

PG2G

Wow @ the Bezel. You'd think with on screen buttons the bezel could be pretty much eliminated

maeh2k

Depends on how they price it. This is the same company that tried to charge $199 for the 525 and all that had was a 512 MB upgrade.

Technically the 520 was listed for $199 as well, though you could already get it cheaper than that from the start. The prices also depend on the region. In the US the 520 was sold at very low prices, whereas the prices never got that low in Europe.

Chorazin

If MS is focusing on lower requirements and entry level phones, that just means our higher powered models will stay "current" a lot longer, which I think is pretty great.

Wow @ the Bezel. You'd think with on screen buttons the bezel could be pretty much eliminated

Pretty sure that's sue to that Apple lawsuit against Samsung a while back about bezel size, saying having very little bezel is trying to copy their design. :(

maeh2k

Looks pretty much the same as the 620 and apparently retains the WVGA resolution.

Based on the picture, the proportions of the device seem a bit nicer (i.e. it looks a bit thinner while also having a slightly larger screen). The edges look a tad cleaner. The colored border looks a bit thicker and more rounded on the 620. This looks a bit cleaner; like the iPhone 5c.

kharma45

Based on the picture, the proportions of the device seem a bit nicer (i.e. it looks a bit thinner while also having a slightly larger screen). The edges look a tad cleaner. The colored border looks a bit thicker and more rounded on the 620. This looks a bit cleaner; like the iPhone 5c.

Screen is a fair bit bigger at 4.3" but it looks worse with that big ass bezel at the bottom which is somehow even bigger than the 620

BhKxTd-CYAA-yHg.png
Nokia-Lumia-620.jpg

Still looks pretty much the same.

Razdek

Banned
Technically the 520 was listed for $199 as well, though you could already get it cheaper than that from the start. The prices also depend on the region. In the US the 520 was sold at very low prices, whereas the prices never got that low in Europe.

If they can get this in the $150-$250 range it would be OK I guess.

hadareud

The Translator
Screen is a fair bit bigger at 4.3" but it looks worse with that big ass bezel at the bottom which is somehow even bigger than the 620

BhKxTd-CYAA-yHg.png
Nokia-Lumia-620.jpg

Still looks pretty much the same.

Nah, the bezel looks a good bit smaller.

It is definitely quite a bit thinner too. The shell is thinner too, which makes it look cleaner overall.

They better up the resolution, would be ridiculous if they didn't. Though I have little confidence that they recognise that.

maeh2k

Looks pretty much the same as the 620 and apparently retains the WVGA resolution.

I'm afraid the WVGA resolution might be accurate, but I haven't seen any reliable specs. The rumored specs for the phone are all over the place. The rumored screen sizes alone range from 4.0 to 4.7 inches (I've seen 4.0, 4.3, 4.5, and 4.7). The most recent wpcentral article mentions 4.5 inches.

Nero3000

Worst part of staying up all night for the conference is waking up at 11. Best part is waking up to the 630! Love this evleaks guy.

Here is the story about Evan Blass (@evleaks) including an interview. Really good read.

I hope you didn't stay up solely for the conference.

Everything was pointing towards nothing of note was to be announced. Besides - everything had been leaked already.

Is there any Ds emulator for wp8? I like playing romhacks of crystal but id prefer to just play heart gold.
Nope, and it would likely be extremely difficult on todays devices to make games run full speed without the ability to run unsigned code judging by android/iOS DS emulators.

Before I mess with eBay I thought I'd ask the thread if anybody is interested in an essentially brand new HTC 8X for Verizon. I took it out of the box once to make sure it worked and put Update 3 on it. That's it. The charger, manuals, etc are all there. I want stress that it basically is in perfect condition.
09yoUFu.jpg

Send me a PM if you are interested.

Totakeke

I'll probably be crucified if I said this on the off-topic discussion thread, but I wonder if Nokia ever approached Google on making Android phones with Google services and Google obviously would've had upper hand on negotiations enforcing their terms.

kharma45

Still it makes no sense as a forward looking strategy from Microsoft's standpoint. Someone explain to me the rationale again.

It's a platform for services, nothing more. They're not using Google Play on these phones so it doesn't really matter to Microsoft that they're using Android.

I'll probably be crucified if I said this on the off-topic discussion thread, but I wonder if Nokia ever approached Google on making Android phones with Google services and Google obviously would've had upper hand on negotiations enforcing their terms.

Elop has said in the past that they did consider going Android for what became the Lumia range.

Totakeke

Yeah but it's splitting your resources any way you put it, I can't see them going far with this platform.

Elop has said in the past that they did consider going Android for what became the Lumia range.

I mean after they shipped the Lumia range and then decided that they needed to make Android phones. Google was quite successful at stopping manufacturers from using Android forks by using Google services/apps as a leverage, they could have enforced terms on Nokia on their Windows Phone support as well.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom