• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Windows Phone |OT3 Update 3| Please be excited

Status
Not open for further replies.

KageMaru

Well I unplugged my Icon around 9 this morning and have been using it very heavily compared to my daily usage and it just died right before 7 this afternoon. This included running benchmarks, a lot of web browsing, some gaming, an hour long phone call, streaming video (metrotube), downloading apps, taking pictures/video and switching between WiFi and my carrier's signal since I was in and out of the house today.

It didn't technically last the whole day, but it's a good improvement over my 928. With that phone, I would usually have to charge when I got home from work around the same time (7) after much lighter use.

What time is it supposed to happen tomorrow?

That's a good question, I just tried to look it up and only see Sony, Nokia, and huawei scheduled for tomorrow.

hwalker84

I get the feeling weren't going to see a damn thing Lumia related at MWC. I can't see Microsoft allowing Nokia to show off new Lumia devices with 8.1 before they do. I'll still wait and see but I'm probably getting a 1520 in the near future. Needs my new device fix.

nillapuddin

At&t gets the best phones. T mobile gets good variety, Verizon gets decent flagships. Sprint....lol

gotcha, so 2 questions then.

Is (the next great thing) for WP coming down the pipe anytime soon?
(I dont want to make any sort of switch and then kick myself later)

Does the 8xt really only come in Purple? Seriously?

Begging or weird, I think WP Central summarized it good.

"Quick analysis: sounds like Windows Phone is becoming a lot like WIndows"

Or rather Android in this case.

On the question about how Joe feels about Nokia's Android phone.

"we have a great relationship with Nokia. They've built great products. We haven't complete our acquisition. They may do some things we're excited about. Other things we are LESS excited. But whatever they do we are very supportive of the partnership."

Nero3000

If Windows Phone/RT are to merge, they needed to open up the device development to something more akin to windows, rather than the 'selected partners' route they have gone down so far.

Nero3000

Also, with Blackberry dying - a hardware supplier that can supply PC's and Smartphones to business under a single agreement could be beneficial.

As a side note, my company is moving into one of the new skyscrapers in London in 2015 and (along with an entire IT refit) we will all be getting the latest blackberry lol. I should ask if they think BalckBerry will still exist when we move in. Our company's IT is so shit. - still on XP til may (maybe).

frontieruk

Also, with Blackberry dying - a hardware supplier that can supply PC's and Smartphones to business under a single agreement could be beneficial.

As a side note, my company is moving into one of the new skyscrapers in London in 2015 and (along with an entire IT refit) we will all be getting the latest blackberry lol. I should ask if they think BalckBerry will still exist when we move in. Our company's IT is so shit. - still on XP til may (maybe).

Heh I was in a meeting with my manager Friday, who has been in a panic to get our users machines onto Windows 7, that panic is gone now... Apparently we're buying security patches from Microsoft for xp for at least the next year, sometimes I don't understand our management.

Nero3000

Heh I was in a meeting with my manager Friday, who has been in a panic to get our users machines onto Windows 7, that panic is gone now... Apparently we're buying security patches from Microsoft for xp for at least the next year, sometimes I don't understand our management.

NHS?

Ape

Banned

The changes are obviously welcome, but Microsoft's eagerness to play into it's own desperation isn't. It's embarrassing. Putting yourself on display at a conference like that and launching that website really shouldn't happen.

hadareud

The Translator

Yeah pretty much. They're opening the platform to small and local OEM's, nothing weird about it imo.

Also nothing to do with begging, this is not about the Sony's and LG's of the world. Who incidentally, will both be releasing WP's this year it seems.

hadareud

The Translator
The changes are obviously welcome, but Microsoft's eagerness to play into it's own desperation isn't. It's embarrassing. Putting yourself on display at a conference like that and launching that website really shouldn't happen.

Don't understand how it is embarrassing.

They launched a new hw partner program, are they supposed to keep it a secret because they are Microsoft and admitting that they need more support is wrong?

I find that sort of attitude odd.

Ape

Banned
Don't understand how it is embarrassing.

They launched a new hw partner program, are they supposed to keep it a secret because they are Microsoft and admitting that they need more support is wrong?

I find that sort of attitude odd.

What's bizarre to me, is how Microsoft approached this.

We all know that WP hardware support is floundering. The writing is on the wall. MS decided that they wanted to parade out Joe and his beautiful locks of hair to press for more support. He actually asked for it in front of tens of people. Undignified. I'm happy that wasn't streamed live because I would have died a little inside. Next time, just let the actual announcements do the talking and let those lure in the OEMs in for you. Ok, MS?

Secondly the Website. Have you visited it? Why is this public other than to be ridiculed? There are plenty of ways to work with OEMs and let them use the site without letting us see how desperately worded Microsoft's site is.

Windu

never heard about the cat, apparently
That is probably just as expensive as deploying windows 7.

hadareud

The Translator
Sure they can put it behind a login, but what's the point. I don't understand how it is embarrassing, desperate and whatnot if MS make a public announcement about wanting HW partners, I really don't. We know that they do. The world knows. So why not acknowledge it and give the smaller OEMs an easy way in. Clearly the dual SIM announcement, the fact that WP now runs on any Android HW and the OEM announcement go hand in hand - clearly designed for developing markets. Hardly designed for any hardware manufacturers we have heard of here.

Undignified? Were you at the event? Did he foam from the mouth while saying it or did he shake like a heroin addict?

KageMaru

Sure they can put it behind a login, but what's the point. I don't understand how it is embarrassing, desperate and whatnot if MS make a public announcement about wanting HW partners, I really don't. We know that they do. The world knows. So why not acknowledge it and give the smaller OEMs an easy way in. Clearly the dual SIM announcement, the fact that WP now runs on any Android HW and the OEM announcement go hand in hand - clearly designed for developing markets. Hardly designed for any hardware manufacturers we have heard of here.

I think the issue behind the approach is that while people who follow the mobile industry knows about Microsoft's issues, the general public probably doesn't. So to the masses, it may raise questions as to why they need to do this to attract support. These questions can lead to doubts and hesitation when it comes to their platform.

Things like this are understandable when you look at their situation, the approach is what's odd and potentially damaging.

Edit: just read about the MS conference. Are all of those announced partners now supposedly making windows phones now?

Nevermind, read more and it does look like that's the case.

Razdek

Banned
If they really wanted more OEMs they should just let the OS be free like the rumors that were going around. That would be more attractive and it would be offset with the money they get from Android sales.

frontieruk

How did you guess lmao

That is probably just as expensive as deploying windows 7.

Apparently not, the move has been on the cards for the 5yrs I've been here, its just been moving to software that would run on windows 7 holding us up... and support for anything other than ie6

But think of all that money they saved by keeping XP going for so long!

Totally worth the pain right now.

I personally think it was a cunning plan to just replace hardware, apparently a third of our pcs won't run windows 7 looking at the report taken to the CEO, oddly enough though we've had it running on every model in that replacement list bar the elonex's which the pc support team condemn on seeing their asset tags on the helpdesk rather than try and fix.

This new hw initiative allows greater penetration of the low cost market. Many of the companies targeted for this program would be much smaller in the phone space, many of whom people here probably have not heard of.

joshschw

This new hw initiative allows greater penetration of the low coat market. Many of the companies targeted for this program would be much smaller in the phone space, many of whom people here probably have not heard of.

It's a good idea. That website is not for HTC execs to learn about Windows Phone obviously.

I bet Google has similar Android type of webpages.

This new hw initiative allows greater penetration of the low coat market. Many of the companies targeted for this program would be much smaller in the phone space, many of whom people here probably have not heard of.

So this initiative is basically aimed at hipsters. Great.

:lol

at least Joe didn't talk about the people hub, aye

What is there to talk about since you guys are gutting all the good functionality. : P

I don't know how easy or viable it is to decouple People Hub from main OS and let it update like app ... I would assume it is going to be difficult and I do understand why the removal of Twitter, Facebook etc from People hub is happening.

The rumor : Ford is dropping Microsoft SYNC for Blackberry ... so may be it's Microsoft that need to worry. How could they loose partnership like Ford when Google are moving into "Smart car" arena. May be Ford is annoy that MS try to pouch their CEO.

hadareud

The Translator
This new hw initiative allows greater penetration of the low cost market. Many of the companies targeted for this program would be much smaller in the phone space, many of whom people here probably have not heard of.

That's exactly what I thought it was.

Still baffled by the response to it. Did anyone really think that website was designed to woo Sony or anyone else of that stature to release WP hardware?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom