• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Winning Eleven Champions League.

shoplifter

Fifty said:
Shoplifter, you around? If people aren't interested in playing or are really too busy to play 3 scheduled games in 7 days, please let us know and we can downsize the league so that the people who are playing can play their games. If you're going to just pop on a few times a week and hope that people are around to play your games then you're running the high risk of not playing at all. It's much better to organize a game in advance via PM or whatever. Who knows, hopefully I'm wrong, and everyone is done by the deadline this week, but we really shouldn't have to push people to play their games, especially this early in the season.

all my games are scheduled mang, i don't have time to fuck around with popping on and off or hoping someone will be around to play. I'm lucky enough that the wife will let me play a match during 'us time' as it is, let alone idle in the match room for an hour while I run up/downstairs to check the pc to see if anyone is on.

AstroLad

Hail to the KING baby
shoplifter said:
all my games are scheduled mang, i don't have time to fuck around with popping on and off or hoping someone will be around to play. I'm lucky enough that the wife will let me play a match during 'us time' as it is, let alone idle in the match room for an hour while I run up/downstairs to check the pc to see if anyone is on.

I'm glad you scheduled your games, that's actually the system we have encouraged. A few people have been using the "idle in the match room for an hour while I run up/downstairs to check the pc to see if anyone is on" but that's not ideal for obvious reasons. Just so you don't feel defensive, the reason we mentioned you is b/c we hadn't seen you on in a few days and didn't know if your games were scheduled or not. Since this is the first week (and an extra-long one at that) we need to weed out who is reliable and who isn't. Fifty and I don't get any pleasure out of reminding people they need to play games. I'd rather be reading my antitrust book than posting lists of games that haven't been played yet, but we committed to running it and hopefully enough people are serious enough about it to make our time investment (and sef's) worthwhile.

OK, so bionic is coming back this weekend (anyone who is playing him needs to PM him to set up those games for Sunday or earlier) and shoplifter has scheduled his. DEADLINE IS THIS SUNDAY at 11 EST. Since this is an extra-long week there won't be much flexibility on that either. So disregarding the shoplifter/bionic games, here are the games left to be played:

-Udinese Calcio (Hayami) vs. PSV Eindhoven (Osorio)
-Manchester United FC (Srider) vs. Juventus (Daigoro)
-FC Barcelona (kpop100) vs. FC Lokomotiv Moskva (sefskillz)
-FC Lokomotiv Moskva (sefskillz) vs. Valencia CF (Miguel)

If the games aren't played by the deadline, we'll find out who was responsible and probably have to boot that person from the league, so get the games in. The stats page is looking forward to your goals.

Anyone ever experience "retarded lag" playing online?? I swear, I just played this guy, and it said his connection was perfect, but when he got the ball to start the 2nd half, my players would react at least a second and a half late to EVERYTHING. And sometimes shots and passes would be really weak eventhough I pressed shoot or pass really hard. This wasn't like normal lag.

Ugh. Still won 1-0 but it was kind of ridiculous.

P.S. Henry is insane in this game. Any tips on stopping people who use France/Arsenal and just run the through ball alllll damn day?? It seems really hard to stop unless I manually take control and run a defender back.

AstroLad

Hail to the KING baby
Irish Icon said:
Anyone ever experience "retarded lag" playing online?? I swear, I just played this guy, and it said his connection was perfect, but when he got the ball to start the 2nd half, my players would react at least a second and a half late to EVERYTHING. And sometimes shots and passes would be really weak eventhough I pressed shoot or pass really hard. This wasn't like normal lag.

Ugh. Still won 1-0 but it was kind of ridiculous.

P.S. Henry is insane in this game. Any tips on stopping people who use France/Arsenal and just run the through ball alllll damn day?? It seems really hard to stop unless I manually take control and run a defender back.

I believe there is a way to basically create lag for the other player. By any chance were you the one to create the game? I haven't run into it too much, but it's suspicious whenever there's just one half of lag.

As far as stopping Henry, I guess it just depends on the method. You could man mark him and the guys that get him the ball (Pires/Zidane most likely), or you could also just adopt a more offensive style and match him goal for goal.

Socreges

Banned
Irish Icon said:
Maybe Im terrible with the through ball, but I scored very few of my goals using it (as France), whereas it seems like thats the only way people score on me.

AstroLad

Hail to the KING baby
Block 2 (games 4-6) Schedules have been published for your next set of games- http://sefskillz.com/gaf-we9/standings.php - http://sefskillz.com/gaf-we9/schedule.php

These games have to be played by next Sunday and you can start playing them right now.

Just as a final reminder to anyone who hasn't played a game yet, report games 1-3 by Sunday at 11 PM EST or we're going to figure out who's responsible and boot that person (hopefully not both people). This is a huge waste of time for us to have to PM people to resolve issues so play your games, we don't want to kick anyone out obviously.

Beatbox & Garrickk- PM or post here if you want to play our games tonight or Sat. (or whenever, I'm just out most of tomorrow).

Socreges

Banned
Eh you came on strong at the end. But yea that first half was one of my best.

Ok I added all of you to AIM (nine people, I think). Me llamo MyNameIsCBake. Should be a little easier to arrange games and friendlies now.

AstroLad

Hail to the KING baby
Socreges said:
Eh you came on strong at the end. But yea that first half was one of my best.

Ok I added all of you to AIM (nine people, I think). Me llamo MyNameIsCBake. Should be a little easier to arrange games and friendlies now.

Yeah I added you also soc. Sometimes I'm not on when I'm playing and my connection is particularly wonky, but usually I am and it's definitely a convenient way to schedule league games too.

ggs huka, I look forward to Newcastle-Liverpool this season. :D

Garrickk, Huka, and Osorio, I'll be around for a while if any of you see this in the next few hours. If not pm me if you think you can set something up for the weekend.

garrickk

Mrjellybeanct said:
Garrickk, Huka, and Osorio, I'll be around for a while if any of you see this in the next few hours. If not pm me if you think you can set something up for the weekend.
WOW do I have an ugly next three games. Ugh. Larry Bird, Astrolad, Mrjellybeanct. Blah.

I'll be online tonight at 10pm CST. I haven't played in like a week, however. I'm playing for draws...

AstroLad said:
ggs huka, I look forward to Newcastle-Liverpool this season. :D

Hopefully snow wont be in the forecast. ;)

dropped you a PM Mrjelly. Irish and Hayami if you get a chance pm me some good times for you, I should be on tonight around 12 est.

AstroLad

Hail to the KING baby
sefskillz said:
i love this game.

:D

Garrickk, Hayami, and Beatbox- I might be on later tonight around 12PM or later EST (IM: pleaseshutdown) and I'll also definitely be on tomorrow.

Beatbox

alien from planet Highscore
Osorio and Irish - I can work around your schedules so PM me and I'll also be checking back in here.

AstroLad

Hail to the KING baby
btw some current leaders from the stats page now that everyone's wrapping up Block 1 games-

Goals
Code:
1	 Vincenzo Iaquinta	Udinese Calcio	        5
2	Alan Shearer	Newcastle United FC	        4
3	Diego Forlan	Villarreal CF	                3
 	Ruud Van Nistelrooy	Manchester United FC	3

Clean Sheets
Code:
1	 Dida	AC Milan	                        2
 	Jens Lehmann	Arsenal FC	                2
 	Oliver Kahn	FC Bayern München	        2
 	Edwin Van der Sar	Manchester United FC	2

Shots on Target
Code:
1	Newcastle	24	8.00
2	Udinese Calcio	14	7.00
3	Arsenal FC	19	6.33

Total Shots
Code:
1	FC Lokomotiv Moskva	21	21.00
2	FC Bayern München	54	18.00
3	Newcastle United FC	42	14.00

Possession%
Code:
1	Udinese Calcio	55.00
2	Juventus	54.50
3	Newcastle	54.00

AstroLad

Hail to the KING baby
GG beatbox, very tense pace the entire time. Owen finally earned a little of his pay w/ his game winner and Shearer kept his four-game scoring streak going though he later disappointed his fans by not scoring on a pk. Nice shot by Montella too!

Miguel

sefskillz and I will be playing our 2 games tonight (at least, assuming we can find each other)

FMT and rorschach will probably be around, maybe I can get all 4 of my games (out of 5, but bionic is a different case since he's not around for the next few days). :)

Beatbox

alien from planet Highscore
AstroLad said:
GG beatbox, very tense pace the entire time. Owen finally earned a little of his pay w/ his game winner and Shearer kept his four-game scoring streak going though he later disappointed his fans by not scoring on a pk. Nice shot by Montella too!

GG - definitely a good battle. The penalty shot save was huge but I just couldn't catch you. We'll have to scrimmage soon.

Rorschach

112204969666003700.jpg

MIG BRING IT!!!

garrickk

AstroLad said:
Hayami & Garrickk- PM me if you guys can play tonight.
Well, I'm online now and hanging out in Lobby 6 if any gaffers want to play a match (Larry, Astro, and Mrjellybean first)

AstroLad

Hail to the KING baby
garrickk said:
Well, I'm online now and hanging out in Lobby 6 if any gaffers want to play a match (Larry, Astro, and Mrjellybean first)

Cool man I'll hop on pretty soon but feel free to play a few games and I'll just play you after you're done.

AstroLad

Hail to the KING baby
gg garrickk, nice defensive battle where the opportunities were quite rare.

Here's the recap I posted.

Recap said:
The first half was an intense defensive struggle, with Michael Owen breaking through in injury time for the first goal of the game. Ameobi scored his first of the season to make it 2-0 and Owen followed with his second to put the game away. The defensive intensity of the game was not reflected in the final score, as both teams combined for 4 shots on target and Newcastle was fortunate enough to knock their three in. Despite being in poor form after battling Rogaine-induced illness, Alan Shearer begged on in the second half in an effort to continue his four-game scoring streak. Sadly for his fans, the balding captain managed only errant passes and bobbles in his time on the field.

Daigoro

lost my first league game yesterday to Srider, gg. im all defense zero offense as usuall. :/

i got my last game of the first round up 930AM Sat morning with Shoplifter.

next up:

-Socreges
-kpop
-bionic

any of you guys gonna be around Sat or Sunday?

AstroLad

Hail to the KING baby
Just played the 16th-ranked guy and beat him 2-1 (he was AC I was Chelsea). He had a game up and apparently no one was challenging him and after a good experience w/ a top-ranked guy yesterday I thought I'd give it a shot. He was not cheap at all and just a really good player and a few breaks led to the outcome though I slightly outplayed him on stats as well. It's pretty cool that even most of the top-ranked people are just solid players, at least in my experience the whole BRAZIL!!11 thing has died down. I haven't played them in like 20 games and I play random people all the time.

AstroLad

Hail to the KING baby
Games Remaining in Block 1 (deadline Sunday 11 EST for entry):

Chelsea FC (shoplifter) vs. FC Barcelona (kpop100)
Valencia CF (Miguel) vs. VfB Stuttgart (bionic77)
Udinese Calcio (Hayami) vs. PSV Eindhoven (Osorio)
Club Atlético de Madrid (Rorschach) vs. VfB Stuttgart (bionic77)
AC Milan (Socreges) vs. VfB Stuttgart (bionic77)
Chelsea FC (shoplifter) vs. Juventus (Daigoro)
FC Lokomotiv Moskva (sefskillz) vs. Valencia CF (Miguel)

I PM'ed bionic telling him I'd give him tell Monday to get back to us otherwise I'll just assume he wasn't able to get his Internet working and I'll find someone to take over (hopefully he makes it) so bionic opponents don't worry other than getting in touch with him (I assume you've already sent PMs).

Everyone else- I know most (hopefully all) of you have your games scheduled, if anyone is not able to contact their opponent let me know right now, that way I'll fire off one PM and if the person still doesn't respond, they'll be booted (I doubt this will happen but I want people to know what they should do if they have an unresponsive opponent and a deadline coming up).

Other Ideas: League thus far has been great, I can't wait to see how the playoffs shake out. One thing I was thinking of doing was having a loser's playoffs (or something like that) for those that don't make the championship, let me know if you guys have any ideas on this, I'm open to anything except changing the championship playoff format, which is stated in the rules.

Shearer is large and in charge-
story.shearer.afp.jpg

And so is Iaquinta right now (5 goals in 2 games :-O)-
Vincenzo_Iaquinta_208226s.jpg

Daigoro said:
badass.

you musvte gotten some nice points out of that deal.

I could be wrong but I think points are the same regardless of the ranking of your opponent (which is probably why people were ducking this guy), except that they go down when you play someone a lot (which is why fifty and I get like 10 points or something for beating each other now).

Daigoro

AstroLad said:
I could be wrong but I think points are the same regardless of the ranking of your opponent (which is probably why people were ducking this guy), except that they go down when you play someone a lot (which is why fifty and I get like 10 points or something for beating each other now).

yeah, you're probably right. i never actually noticed any pattern in the points system. i just kind of assumed that youd get a few more points for beating someone ranked higher than you. seems like the system is pretty well worked out.

shoplifter

ggs kpop, hopefully it wasn't as laggy on your end as it was on mine. that last header i put away sailed clear over duff's head almost to the touch line and suddenly it was in the back of the net :lol

stats should be in for both this weeks and next weeks games.

Daigoro

kpop and i just had a very laggy game (1st half was unplayable).

but it sounds like he has a pretty bad connection with all of us, so maybe we should just let the result stand.

i told him i wouldnt make a stink about it. :lol

sefskillz

shitting in the alley outside your window
added player stats to the team detail pages. let me know if you guys have any suggestions for the site.

shoplifter

Daigoro said:
kpop and i just had a very laggy game (1st half was unplayable).

but it sounds like he has a pretty bad connection with all of us, so maybe we should just let the result stand.

i told him i wouldnt make a stink about it. :lol

yeah, it's even both ways i'm guessing. no big deal really, just gets frustrating occasionally :)

\/\/ that was my both of my games too, odd because our cup match was much better lagwise.

Daigoro

shoplifter said:
yeah, it's even both ways i'm guessing. no big deal really, just gets frustrating occasionally :)

i dont think he had it bad like i had it for the first half. i could barely receive a pass. the ball was never where it showed up on screen. it was totally unplayable unfortunately. (we only had one red bar when i entered his room)

oh well.

Fifty

Given that Kpop lives in Japan, it's not much of a shock. Still, if your lag is that bad, you don't really have a chance. I'm not sure what to say..

Daigoro

you dont have to say anything. its between us, and like i said im not going to make a big deal about it.

the results stand (if he dosent desire a replay, and i can understand why he would'nt).

garrickk said:

Ah, couldn't make it last night. I'm around for a bit now though if anyone sees this. If not Sunday is going to be pretty free on my end.

AstroLad

Hail to the KING baby
Daigoro said:
you dont have to say anything. its between us, and like i said im not going to make a big deal about it.

the results stand (if he dosent desire a replay, and i can understand why he would'nt).

kpop what do you think about this lag issue? Were all the games also pure crap on your end? I've played you at 4 am (my time) and I'm in NY and we had a pretty decent connection both games, but it seems like you and your opponents have struggled with lag in several other games. I'm asking going forward here, is it playable for you? Any solutions?

Srider

Banned
I've noticed that at certain times, games are more prone to being laggy. Daigoro and I played a game around 12:00pm noon EST and we had pretty good connection, compared to some of the more laggy games I've played at other times. I don't know if this applies for everyone, maybe it's a region based thing.

garrickk

Mrjellybeanct said:
Ah, couldn't make it last night. I'm around for a bit now though if anyone sees this. If not Sunday is going to be pretty free on my end.
I'll be on Sunday evening. Hopefully, I'll see you and maybe Larry Bird??

Top Bottom