• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Winter 2014 Anime |OT| I've got to find a dandy guy who killed my dad in the space

Status
Not open for further replies.
Go pick up the rest the other currently available volumes! If you must only purchase the volumes not adapted for the anime, then just get volumes 4, 7-10 as you already have volume 6 and volume 11 does not come out until April.

Yeah, I plan on it :) gonna read 6, then skip 7 and read 8,9 and 10. I'll pick up 1-5 and 7 while I'm waiting on 11. Want to continue on with the main story for the moment.

Tenumi

Banned
Date A Live: 02

lMuEKCk.jpg

Story of my life.

Origami, why you sleep naked? Not that I'm complaining, I'm just questioning.

Anyway, more plot setup, including giving our mysterious swordsgirl a name. Next episode: Dating said swordsgirl.

duckroll

Glad to hear Yuasa's show is an adaptation. With any luck the story will be as solid as Tatami and not fall apart like Yuasa's original shows.

I've never read it, but Ping Pong is pretty well regarded, and got a live action adaptation before. It's a 5 volume manga, so it should fit within the 11 ep limit of noitaminA fairly well I think.

Thanks for the trailer link. Do you know if there was a trailer for the awful looking LN-adaptation with the long name that's paired with it?

Nope. You can probably check noitaminA's youtube channel or their twitter to see if it's been posted.

duckroll

Aymeric Kevin announced in Twitter that he is in charge of Visual Development and Background Direction for Ping Pong, and that it is being produced by Tatsunoko.

Yay for twitter leaks. :p

Ryuuroden

Well if it makes things any better, I don't usually trust them with anime stuff because I happen to know most of think that Sword Art Online is good. And no I don't mean that they enjoyed it knowing the show was bad. They straight up defend it every chance they get.

Well, I read all of SAO that was out, the week after the first episode aired so I knew what was coming and skipped the parts of the 2nd arc I hated. I still enjoy the game breaking powers of kirito after all cause its entertaining. I hate what the writer did to Asuna but just to let you know, unless they change shit, the third arc will be entirely about a new strong female lead and Kirito in a FPS game so it will be much better than the deplorable 2nd arc. The downside is the new female leads in game character design is one of those moe perversions a lot of us dislike. The upside is, she is strong like original Asuna, and Kirito is still gamebreaking as always. If you still liked the first arc of SAO I would recommend at least trying the 2nd season.

Finally joined Crunchyroll...guess my anime addiction of long ago is back in full swing. Can't stop watching after I finished Toradora.

Chuunibyou demo Koi ga Shitai

Seems like the show wasn't really liked around here, at least by judging the summary of the second season in the OP lol...

Overall I really liked the first season, great mix of cute and silly and I loved the art. I guess you could lump this into romcom and this is only my second venture into the genre. Next I plan to watch Sakurasou no Pet na Kanojo hopefully that grabs me like Toradora did.

Hoping to post regularly here so don't hate me if I sum up some thoughts on older series, hopefully that is allowed here.

CorvoSol

Given that the final arc presumably goes back to that, having them spaced out probably gives it a chance to breathe... even if Snake Arc ends in such a bullshit way. lol

That's probably exactly why they did it, but since I'm not a fan of Bat at all it means that Mayoi Zombie comes across as the weakest arc in the series.

I am leaving this here for Corvo:

................................................................................................

Is that the same person playing both?

Nagi no Asukara (Nagi-Asu: A Lull in the Sea) Episode 15
BeHieq2CcAMM49i.png

Expected reactions all around for everyone but it felt so enjoyable and pleasing to see Hikari go through the surroundings. Sayama is hilarious and helped him good while the best scene was
Hikari finally sharing all his feelings to Tsumugu even getting teary eyed then just embracing it all. Good thing Tsumugu is the perfect character to help him share feelings

Kind of want Miuna to continue being the main one at least best development yet, and the family stuff with her, Hikari and the younger one is just too entertaining.

JoeFu

Banned
omg Haruhi-chan is freaking hilarious.

I almost skipped it too because I thought the crappy cg intro thing looked weird. This thing is amazing. Nagato is in to H-games wtf

Chuu2 Ren 02

Structurally, I don't see why something like this couldn't have been the first episode. With slight tweaks Nibutani's questions/stalking would have been a fine introduction to Utah and Rikka's living situation, without wasting a whole episode on it.

The episode itself was actually kind of cute. There's a springboard here to examine the effect of Rikka's behaviour on her ability to maintain relationships, even with people who actually like her. The show's interest in maintaining the status quo could be challenged along with its romantic relationship. The whole "we can do do this relationship thing however we want because you're Wicked Lord Shingan and I'm the Dark Flame Master (aka you're delusional and I'm humouring you)" speech by Utah could be his starting point for how he deals with her, instead of a cop-out.

The episode ends though, with what might end up being a blatant declaration of the show's direction: a phone call from Nibutani to Utah, with advice to the effect of "stagnation in relationships allows interlopers to disrupt them", which acts as a vocal backdrop to the new character for the show dropping in on Rikka's balcony, complete with her own set of delusions about magic and whatever. It's perhaps unrealistic to ask for thoughtful treatment of the characters issues, but if that scene isn't a feint and what I'm about to get is a love triangle, then god help me and god damn KyoAni.

Nibutani is still the closest thing to a reason to watch that this show has.

Inari, Konkon, Koi Iroha 01

That did not go where I expected it to. What started out similar to Gingitsune, ended up with a more interesting premise by putting some of the power in the protagonists hands. Uka was pretty good, too. Probably my favourite debut of the season. Episode 2 when.

Seki-kun OAD

This is like somebody distilled joy into a bottle, handed it to me and said "here, drink this." Imagining KanaHana saying her dialogue into a microphone in a studio is a mental image I likely won't ever tire of.

Jex

Monogatari SS: "Shinobu Arc"

I have faith that the Snake Arc will pay off in the final episodes, but I almost wish it didn't exist so that I didn't have to feel like I needed to power through that arc in order to get to this one. Who knew that the innocuous ending to the original Snail Arc from Monogatari ends up being such an important event?

Based Nisio Isin etc.

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
Ping pong -> Hype Rising
Yuasa -> Hype Falling

jman2050

Mikakunin 2 (I refuse to use that terrible official title)

Mashiro is very clearly the star of this show. Too bad Kobeni seems so drab in comparison, especially when you also take Benio into consideration. Also the ED owns.

I swear the plastic/laminated look going on here is never going to not be distracting.

Jex

Yeah, how did she get that far??? Even if we take the 1.5 mile distance, considering the distance of the ships from the structure, no matter the distance gained after the blast it still shouldn't be much farther than what the ships had maintained before it, and there's also the issue of her surviving the debris field - as she is found within it - which kinda boggles the mind.
But then, I guess this is Yamato in the end.

I don't know what's going on. You're discussing an action-adventure/soap opera as if it were hard scifi.

What? It's been a little while but I'm pretty sure Inari's development is the meat of the story. How do you go through the manga when it's filled with something you don't like?

I'm able to go through it because the UkaxTouma story is only secondary to hers and it seems to be pretty big. I know I'm not the only one who wishes this was the focus. I'm able to live with the little sister story just to get to the best couple story.

Samurai Flamenco Episode 13

Goto Masayoshi swingset by moon talk was most memorable moment followed by the limo talk.

Intense episode without much action I think. Really put an interesting perspective and take on this aspect of being a hero knowing that a crisis is imminent. Or probably a realistic situation that one in emergency preparedness must think about.
I would have liked to see how it would be handled if they hadnt told people and just waited to the end, though the press would somehow find out before hand

Phi Brain (S3) 52-57

So the big question for this season is whether or not Kaito's memory of Jin is correct or Raetsel's. I'm gonna go with Ana and say that both are right. But I kind of want to know what's up with his conflicted views.

I'm kind of happy Melancholy wasn't forgotten either. A nice little bookend for her. Though Enigma should cool it. He's kind of overstepping Raetsel's contract a lot these days...

cajunator

Banned
Now that I have all these comedy anime to watch, I find myself facing an entirely different problem.

I know people usually ask for palette cleansers, lighthearted anime to watch after brutally depressing stuff. But I kinda need the opposite. I can bet there's a ton of dark anime that I've avoided up until now, and watching them concurrently with everything you guys have recommended would probably be the most efficient course of action.

I've already got Kino's Journey lined up. Anything else I should look at?

Sorry for the vagueness.

Now and then Here or there is pretty dark too.
If you havent seen Texhnolyze theres that.
As for more recent I echo the sentiments of Fate Zero and Madoka Magica.

The only music anime that matters:

snapshot20080815030018.jpg

/nm I was looking at the wrong thing. Detroit Metal City is definitely the FUNNIEST music show.

I am leaving this here for Corvo:

Wow. they almost look real!

Space Dandy - 02

Yeah, definitely prefer subbed for this series. QT's voice is just so damn cute. The autotune of the dub isn't as darling and gets annoying to me at least.

As for the episode, was really good. Love no mention of what happened in the last episode. lol. You feel for the Ramen guy, but it was done well. Love the color and look of the series. Will definitely stick with it til the end :D

I definitely like the japanese voices. Havent actually heard the dub but Im not sure I really want to now.

Mikakunin de Shinkoukei - 02

It's benio - sama ! benio -sama !

SDBURTON , what are you doing in this show ?

I wasn't expecting it , but the core of this show is without a doubt the little sister in law. What a character , proud , well behaved , pure , easily guilible ..and trullly the one that despite all her flaws seeing things properly...

Don't get me wrong all 3 sisters are magnificent in their roles..it's almost like seeing a sister familly with sdburton , chet & chickdigger so it IS fun but damn ... it's self aware so it's alright. I mean what does aliens do when they kidnap cows ?

Next episode gonna be great.

This is perhaps the best description of this show that can possibly be made.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom