• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Winter 2014 Anime |OT| I've got to find a dandy guy who killed my dad in the space

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dresden

I have to agree with Dresden there. Episodes 24-26 were pretty unnecessarily drawn out. Everything that happened there could have been cut and/or edited to fit one episode.

I didn't mind 24 that much asides from the one quibble I had. I'll see about the rest, though.

I'll forgive it if only for the hilarity of
Mamoru being so awesome he gets to Iskandar before everyone else and impregnates the alien princess of a barren world while dying.

I guess it's better than
what happened in the original, apparently, where Mamoru survived and just chose to stay behind to bang Starsha more. Can't blame him!

I'll forgive it if only for the hilarity of
Mamoru being so awesome he gets to Iskandar before everyone else and impregnates the alien princess of a barren world while dying.

That's just how important he is! Makes sure we don't forget about just so they can go "hey, he fucked her... WHILE dying". Can't get much more badass than that.

Granted, he already stayed behind to fuck Starsha in the OG version.

Nodame Cantabile Finale 11

Uiugwp5l.jpg

And so ends the enjoyable journey of Nodame and Chiaki through the world of music. Really enjoyable characters and such a thrill to watch through this.

God I miss this show. I could never find much like it. Shows where music take almost as much importance as the characters are rare. And no fuck Beck, the funny engrish made it impossible for me to enjoy the show. Also the melodrama.

I have this great idea for an anime. Just a show about a struggling musician, a talented one at that, going through all the stages of fame. But I'd want rotoscoped musical scenes and full songs in the show. I'd prefer non j-rock, but I wouldn't mind classical.

Gazoinks

God I miss this show. I could never find much like it. Shows where music take almost as much importance as the characters are rare. And no fuck Beck, the funny engrish made it impossible for me to enjoy the show. Also the melodrama.

I have this great idea for an anime. Just a show about a struggling musician, a talented one at that, going through all the stages of fame. But I'd want rotoscoped musical scenes and full songs in the show. I'd prefer non j-rock, but I wouldn't mind classical.

Wait I'm a music nerd. Why haven't I watched this show. Will soon.

Dresden

Well, like I said,
it's just a guesstimate. If she was instead moving at 200 feet per second, and the passed time was 90 seconds instead of 75, she's suddenly over 300 feet away. The thing about space is it makes it kind of ridiculously hard to properly judge distance, so we're all just guessing. You either trust the show is being honest about how far away she is or don't. But like I said, this show plays extremely loose with physics from the beginning, and this is far from the most egregious example in even this episode, but maybe that's just me.

I feel like
the usual nonsense has the advantage of being established or making sense within the WWII-era tactics of the show, though. Or just wave motion magic (which is why the ramming didn't bother me - wave motion shield saved them, so on and so forth). But an unshielded human being surviving the implosion of such scale that it consumed orbiting vessels and was visible from surface just bothers me.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
I feel like
the usual nonsense has the advantage of being established or making sense within the WWII-era tactics of the show, though. Or just wave motion magic (which is why the ramming didn't bother me - wave motion shield saved them, so on and so forth). But an unshielded human being surviving the implosion of such scale that it consumed orbiting vessels and was visible from surface just bothers me.
You guys realize that the very premise of having a WWII battleship as a space hull is in itself pretty stupid, right?

Don't quote me on what I said verbatim. It might be rose tinted goggles, but this show combined both classical music/musical growth alongside character interaction. It is a very enjoyable show though, with the leads starting out very comedy-like but eventually getting into the groove and turning into a very good slice of life.

Gazoinks

Don't quote me on what I said verbatim. It might be rose tinted goggles, but this show combined both classical music/musical growth alongside character interaction. It is a very enjoyable show though, with the leads starting out very comedy-like but eventually getting into the groove and turning into a very good slice of life.

There seriously aren't enough music shows that aren't about idols. Should get around to Kids On the Slope sometime too, although I've heard mixed things.

Branduil

Death by Snu Snu?

Now you have me working up a theory that Mamoru was actually captured on Starsha's request and she had him delivered as a favor by Desler. I mean, doesn't that sound more plausible than the crash landing "explanation" she gives?

Unfortunately, Iskandarian women are a bit... intense. There's a reason the race has nearly died off. Mamoru is Mamoru, so he last longer than most, long enough to plant a seed, but eventually he gives out.

Of course, Starsha, being the crazy lady that she is, implants his soul in Cosmo Reverser so she can still talk to him, LOL.

Gazoinks

Now you have me working up a theory that Mamoru was actually captured on Starsha's request and she had him delivered as a favor by Desler. I mean, doesn't that sound more plausible than the crash landing "explanation" she gives?

Unfortunately, Iskandarian women are a bit... intense. There's a reason the race has nearly died off. Mamoru is Mamoru, so he last longer than most, long enough to plant a seed, but eventually he gives out.

Of course, Starsha, being the crazy lady that she is, implants his soul in Cosmo Reverser so she can still talk to him, LOL.

Starsha cosmic yandere confirmed. Season two is about her hunting down Kodai.

OceanBlue

If you're talking about the imouto, then yes. I can't stand her. A lot of people that like the manga like it for the secondary story involving her older brother and Uka. Much better story
What? It's been a little while but I'm pretty sure Inari's development is the meat of the story. How do you go through the manga when it's filled with something you don't like?

Now that I have all these comedy anime to watch, I find myself facing an entirely different problem.

I know people usually ask for palette cleansers, lighthearted anime to watch after brutally depressing stuff. But I kinda need the opposite. I can bet there's a ton of dark anime that I've avoided up until now, and watching them concurrently with everything you guys have recommended would probably be the most efficient course of action.

I've already got Kino's Journey lined up. Anything else I should look at?

Sorry for the vagueness.

Gazoinks

Now that I have all these comedy anime to watch, I find myself facing an entirely different problem.

I know people usually ask for palette cleansers, lighthearted anime to watch after brutally depressing stuff. But I kinda need the opposite. I can bet there's a ton of dark anime that I've avoided up until now, and watching them concurrently with everything you guys have recommended would probably be the most efficient course of action.

Sorry for the vagueness.

Madoka Magica and Fate/Zero are good. Flowers of Evil is excellent and amazingly unpleasant in all the right ways. I'm finishing up From the New World, and that's really good as well. People tell me Casshern Sins is the most depressing thing ever.

wonzo

Banned

Sorry for the vagueness.
Midori: Shoujo Tsubaki

midori.gif

duckroll

The Best Animation nominees for the Japan Academy Awards has been announced: Kaguyahime, Kaze Tachinu, Captain Harlock, Madoka 3, and Lupin vs Conan.

I've time traveled into March 2014 to give you the result:
Kaze Tachinu will win.

Madoka Magica and Fate/Zero are good. Flowers of Evil is excellent and amazingly unpleasant in all the right ways. I'm finishing up From the New World, and that's really good as well. People tell me Casshern Sins is the most depressing thing ever.

I stopped at like episode 7 of Flowers of Evil, but I absolutely loved everything up until then. I just cannot bring myself to see what happens after that classroom breakdown scene.

I've seen everything else on your list except Casshern Sins.

God, I miss From The New World. Excuse me, I'm gonna go listen to the symphony it gets its name from.
For like the 50th time.

Gazoinks

I stopped at like episode 7 of Flowers of Evil, but I absolutely loved everything up until then. I just cannot bring myself to see what happens after that classroom breakdown scene.

God, I miss From The New World. Excuse me, I'm gonna go listen to the symphony it gets its name from.
For like the 50th time.

Dude, the beginning of episode 8 is one of the most striking moments in the whole show. Rewatch 7 and then gogogo.

Thoraxes

There seriously aren't enough music shows that aren't about idols. Should get around to Kids On the Slope sometime too, although I've heard mixed things.

Nodame Cantabile is a relatively realistic view into the world of classically trained musicians. I don't know if that's what people love about it or not, but it really clicked with me because I too am a classically trained musician. Everything about conservatory, concerto competitions, rehearsals... everything was pretty much spot on with how our community works in the real world and reminds me a lot of my college/conservatory days.

Apparently if they wanted to, they could adopt Opera-hen.

sonicmj1

For like the 50th time.

It might seem impossible, but episode 10 might be better than episode 7.

Quasar

Nodame Cantabile is a relatively realistic view into the world of classically trained musicians. I don't know if that's what people love about it or not, but it really clicked with me because I too am a classically trained musician. Everything about conservatory, concerto competitions, rehearsals... everything was pretty much spot on with how our community works in the real world and reminds me a lot of my college/conservatory days.

I wondered how much it shared with reality. I loved what I saw of it. It was great seeing a music focused show about music I have an interest in. Plus it was about adults, not idol wannabes.

Hunter x Hunter (2011) 34

Now that's what I call a hearty revenge match!

Finally. The real main event coming up shortly! Before we transition to Yorknew/Yorkshin arc!

That reminds me. I saw something called Phantom Troupe, which looks kind of like a movie of sorts. When should I watch that?

Flowers of Evil 7

When the music starts and he throws the chalk, fuckin' chills.

Is there a a special kind of Moe to describe emotionally unhinged outcasts? Because I am definitely feeling that for Nakamura.

Well, let's see how this pans out. Onto 8!

Gazoinks

Flowers of Evil 7

When the music starts and he throws the chalk, fuckin' chills.

Is there a a special kind of Moe to describe emotionally unhinged outcasts?
Because I am definitely feeling that for Nakamura.

Well, let's see how this pans out. Onto 8!

It's sort of yandere I guess?

But yeah, that scene is incredible. And sonicmj was right about ep 10 maybe being even better!

Theonik

Hey dudes, stop posting nsfw content~

This is the last warning~
Kininarimasu

I think the OST is great, it does have a "retro" feel but it's not dated. It's not like it has a bunch of bad '80s synth or anything like that.
That would only have made it even better!

Dessler is a chump but he'd never agree to being NTR'd like this!

Dresden

Space Battleship Yamato 2199 - 26

I must admit that I was glad
Mamoru's spirit didn't get to save Earth. First he hits up Niimi, then he hits up an alien princess, then he impregnates the entire planet? Good lord. So having Okita's memories power the process was a far more welcome outcome.

7Xk1AEb.jpg

the 42 of this show

I do have a few complaints - like the entire
Susumu/Yuki storyline
- but then you see
Earth
, and an old man sitting on his chair waiting for
one last glimpse at it. It's this sense of a journey having ended - one that spanned galaxies - and of its end coming at last to rest with the old man who led them through hell and back, who longs for one last glimpse of home, left saddled with the memories of war and of friends and family lost, how he sees it there, and how the tears flow, and when his hand drops to the floor - even as new life stirs, even as the young ones celebrate the return of those they'd thought dead and the return back home - sometimes the lowest of internet shorthands can convey some goddamned poignant thoughts. I got the feels.

I'm glad it ended as less of a triumph and more of a memorial. I'm glad to have watched the show, and I eagerly await the sequel.

Quasar

Lol, well, I was just surprised since I really liked Inari and just assumed everyone else who liked the manga did as well. I personally think Inari is a great main character, but I like the Touka and Uka shipping too.

Oh I don't hate the A story, just that I'd rather them switch and have Touka/Uka be the main story.

CorvoSol

Monogatari SS: "Shinobu Arc"
J7PEyp0l.jpg

I just got fucking wrecked.
yBNLH2L.gif

I have faith that the Snake Arc will pay off in the final episodes, but I almost wish it didn't exist so that I didn't have to feel like I needed to power through that arc in order to get to this one. Who knew that the innocuous ending to the original Snail Arc from Monogatari ends up being such an important event?

Mk1WN5Ol.jpg

As Corvo mentioned, we also get an explicit reference to Ararararararagi's lack of agency as a "harem" protagonist, effectively pulling apart the character from the inside. That he's called a child by the two "children" in the scene only emphasizes how very much he isn't the harem protagonist at all.

One completely unrelated note is that the idea of the anti-existence reminds me of KoTOR2 of all things, where Obisidian set up the idea of the "anti-Force" at the end of that game that served as a true counterpoint to the Force. It shifts the paradigm away from Good vs Evil (or Human vs Oddity) into something much more abstract as Existence vs Non-Existence. At the very least, it explains why the Snake arc had to happen, because she was lying all this time, denying her existence.

And in way, although each season has a specific theme, you can see this as a theme that is a central through-line for the entire series - that lying, denying your existence, is a destructive activity. In fact, it's more destructive than any consequences telling the truth might have.

This show is just amazing.

I almost kind of feel the show would play out better if Mayoi and Shinobu had been back to back and Snake Arc after them.

Flowers of Evil 8

I remember something being posted in OT a while back about Watanabe being the only force that could legitimize anime in the eyes of the public, or the critics.

I mean of course that's bullshit, but I don't know how anyone could even get away saying that anime lacks artistic legitimacy.

The first few minutes of this episode were solely of Nakamura and Kasuga holding hands as they walked away from their masterwork. The former extremely proud, and the latter willing to do anything to feel as though he has worth.

But the framing. I have to say, the way shots are framed in this anime, especially the beginning of this episode are unequivocally art.

While the characters themselves are experiencing a kind of catharsis, the viewer is left with an undeniable tension, which unrelentingly builds, and builds.

I can't even say that the walk felt in any way drawn out, despite its length. That really is a testament to the skill involved in every scene of this anime.

Every medium has trash. If people say anime lacks legitimacy, they frankly aren't looking hard enough.

zeroshiki

Space Battleship Yamato 2199 - 26

I must admit that I was glad
Mamoru's spirit didn't get to save Earth. First he hits up Niimi, then he hits up an alien princess, then he impregnates the entire planet? Good lord. So having Okita's memories power the process was a far more welcome outcome.

I do have a few complaints - like the entire
Susumu/Yuki storyline
- but then you see
Earth
, and an old man sitting on his chair waiting for
one last glimpse at it. It's this sense of a journey having ended - one that spanned galaxies - and of its end coming at last to rest with the old man who led them through hell and back, who longs for one last glimpse of home, left saddled with the memories of war and of friends and family lost, how he sees it there, and how the tears flow, and when his hand drops to the floor - even as new life stirs, even as the young ones celebrate the return of those they'd thought dead and the return back home - sometimes the lowest of internet shorthands can convey some goddamned poignant thoughts. I got the feels.

I'm glad it ended as less of a triumph and more of a memorial. I'm glad to have watched the show, and I eagerly await the sequel.

Am I the only one who doesn't want a sequel? They should leave well enough alone. I can only see the story getting more convoluted and/or them shitting up characters that I like with lame conflict just to extend the storyline.

The whole show worked well and wrapped fairly cleanly. I don't feel the need to revisit it anymore.

Branduil

Am I the only one who doesn't want a sequel? They should leave well enough alone. I can only see the story getting more convoluted and/or them shitting up characters that I like with lame conflict just to extend the storyline.

The whole show worked well and wrapped fairly cleanly. I don't feel the need to revisit it anymore.

It doesn't matter what you want, it matters what will happen.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom