• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Winter 2014 Anime |OT| I've got to find a dandy guy who killed my dad in the space

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hunter x Hunter (2011) 34

Now that's what I call a hearty revenge match!

Finally. The real main event coming up shortly! Before we transition to Yorknew/Yorkshin arc!

That reminds me. I saw something called Phantom Troupe, which looks kind of like a movie of sorts. When should I watch that?

Not really, it's... weak.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
I almost kind of feel the show would play out better if Mayoi and Shinobu had been back to back and Snake Arc after them.
Given that the final arc presumably goes back to that, having them spaced out probably gives it a chance to breathe... even if Snake Arc ends in such a bullshit way. lol

(yamato 26 spoilers, do not click)

There's a
0.1 chance possibility of that happening, which in anime means... fuck.
Time to start watching Monogatari!

Am I the only one who doesn't want a sequel? They should leave well enough alone. I can only see the story getting more convoluted and/or them shitting up characters that I like with lame conflict just to extend the storyline.

The whole show worked well and wrapped fairly cleanly. I don't feel the need to revisit it anymore.
Well, at least it's not a sequel to the live action movie.

dimb

Bjergsen is the greatest midlane in the world
Some would say it's almost as good as Monogatari SS.
Time to switch my ballot!
Wt1Vxpm.jpg

NeonZ

Wasn't he still alive in the original? That's even more hilarious.

In the original plans for the original version, Mamoru would actually become
space pirate, Captain Harlock. But they threw that away when the series was shortened and just kept him alive. And it still happens in some of the manga though.

Anyway, spoilers for later entries in the original Yamato.

Mamoru's survival overall was really pointless though, since he does basically nothing in the sequels and has a really underwhelming death in basically the first action scene that he gets in one of the later movies. His daughter does become the focus of a later movie though, which is likely why they threw in the pregnancy, but just killed him.

Am I the only one who doesn't want a sequel? They should leave well enough alone. I can only see the story getting more convoluted and/or them shitting up characters that I like with lame conflict just to extend the storyline.

Well, if the sequels are based at all in the original material, it's not like they're just excuses for more Gamillas vs Earth. Although both the Yamato crew and Gamillas survivors are involved in most of them, they all focus on original antagonists and new conflicts.

I wonder if they can make the Comet Empire less mustache twirling villains though? They made the Gamillas here more sympathetic than in the original, but the original already had some attempts at justifying their actions, while the Comet Empire was pretty much pure evil, although with great presence and visual design. On the other hand, they could keep the Comet Empire like that and just increase the focus on internal Earth politics and conflicts, and maybe the Gamillas remnants too, two other main elements from the second movie/season. It'd also be nice if the Andromeda and other new wave motion engine Earth spaceships actually got original unique characters for their crew, rather than just one captain and everyone else being background stand ins.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
lol
Don't do that!

---

wbsQ3epl.jpg

Speaking of Yamato, I had no idea that a director's cut version of Yamato Resurrection came out last year.
Here's a bit of a retrospective that talks about the movie and why the director's cut exists: http://ourstarblazers.com/vault/686/
And here's a summary of the changes in the second half of the movie:
http://ourstarblazers.com/vault/688/

So it turns out they made the movie with two ends (one happy, one "ambiguous") and focus tested it. Audiences liked the happier ending, so they went with that... which makes sense, since the director's cut version basically leaves things completely open ended and I'm sure that wouldn't have been satisfying.

But although this probably exists more as an exercise than anything else - the article explains that every single Yamato text has an alternate version, Yamato 2199 included! (I wonder if they'll ever release the TV version of 2199 on disc?) - I almost wonder if there aren't rumblings to continue to the Resurrection timeline given the success of 2199.

It probably doesn't make sense to confuse the market with two "competing" Yamato projects, but I almost wonder if my joke of having the Resurrection and 2199 timelines merge wouldn't make some sense. It solves the problem of them being beholden to old material, while simultaneously being a bit of a sequel to the old material.

More likely than not, the old series timeline is probably dead and 2199 is now the "canon" franchise. Less said about the live action movie, the better. lol

Lurky

So yeah... I just finished the Nadeko arc in monogatari series. I heard it was horrible but I had no idea it was this bad. I'm not even going to continue. I know the Shinobu arc is supposed to be really good but no ending is worth this bullshit. The fucking show already ruined my favorite character.

BGBW

Maturity, bitches.
I think brushing her teeth should be the least of his concerns. All that greasy hair needs a good wash!

So yeah... I just finished the Nadeko arc in monogatari series. I heard it was horrible but I had no idea it was this bad. I'm not even going to continue. I know the Shinobu arc is supposed to be really good but no ending is worth this bullshit. The fucking show already ruined my favorite character.

Nadeko arc... horrible. What?

firehawk12

Subete no aware
The Shinobu arc is worth it man. Just excise the Snake from your mind and embrace the Snail.

Lurky

The Shinobu arc is worth it man. Just excise the Snake from your mind and embrace the Snail.

I just can't do it. The arc has completely drained me of any desire to continue. Maybe in like a year when I'm not as pissed off that the cutest character is gone forever.

fertygo

I don't know where you heard that, people liked that arc.

fertygo

Well I just happen to know a lot of Nadeko fans I guess. =/
She's also my favorite even though I think Shinobu is the hottest.

I think your circle is exaggerating a bit, the plot still ongoing and gonna resolved in next arc.. and if you into that cute thing, there's a lot of that.. her craziness n stuff just for that one episode.

Lurky

I think your circle is exaggerating a bit, the plot still ongoing in next arc.. and if you into that cute thing, there's a lot of that.. her craziness n stuff just for that one episode.

Well if it makes things any better, I don't usually trust them with anime stuff because I happen to know most of think that Sword Art Online is good. And no I don't mean that they enjoyed it knowing the show was bad. They straight up defend it every chance they get.

Space Dandy - 02

Yeah, definitely prefer subbed for this series. QT's voice is just so damn cute. The autotune of the dub isn't as darling and gets annoying to me at least.

As for the episode, was really good. Love no mention of what happened in the last episode. lol. You feel for the Ramen guy, but it was done well. Love the color and look of the series. Will definitely stick with it til the end :D

cnet128

Banned
Well if it makes things any better, I don't usually trust them with anime stuff because I happen to know most of think that Sword Art Online is good. And no I don't mean that they enjoyed it knowing the show was bad. They straight up defend it every chance they get.

I think I like your friends.

(For what it's worth, though, I like Nadeko quite a lot, and I thought her arc was amazing. But yeah, if you weren't satisfied by how it ended, keep watching and you might find the eventual resolution more to your taste.)

Mikakunin de Shinkoukei - 02

It's benio - sama ! benio -sama !

SDBURTON , what are you doing in this show ?
Mikakunin%20de%20Shinkoukei%20-%2002_01.jpg

Brimming with life , sdburton style !
I wasn't expecting it , but the core of this show is without a doubt the little sister in law. What a character , proud , well behaved , pure , easily guilible ..and trullly the one that despite all her flaws seeing things properly...
Mikakunin%20de%20Shinkoukei%20-%2002_02.jpg

All hail benio - sama !
I think benio-sama just said something deep !
Don't get me wrong all 3 sisters are magnificent in their roles..it's almost like seeing a sister familly with sdburton , chet & chickdigger so it IS fun but damn ... it's self aware so it's alright. I mean what does aliens do when they kidnap cows ?

Next episode gonna be great.

SDBurton

World's #1 Cosmonaut Enthusiast
Mikakunin de Shinkoukei - 02

It's benio - sama ! benio -sama !

SDBURTON , what are you doing in this show ?

I wasn't expecting it , but the core of this show is without a doubt the little sister in law. What a character , proud , well behaved , pure , easily guilible ..and trullly the one that despite all her flaws seeing things properly...

Don't get me wrong all 3 sisters are magnificent in their roles..it's almost like seeing a sister familly with sdburton , chet & chickdigger so it IS fun but damn ... it's self aware so it's alright. I mean what does aliens do when they kidnap cows ?

Next episode gonna be great.

Hahaha! I'm so checking this out when I get home!

Defuser

Inari konkon Koi no Iroha ep 1
AOTY.
3hUU5kFl.jpg

Solid productions with alot of cute and heartwarming moments. AOTY! AOTY!

43hvy9Cl.jpg

Inari so damn adorable.

gxat1kul.jpg

UKA SAMA!!!! <3 The real true female protaganist.

Saki side a 12-16

Ok that's a bit better. Rest of the semifinals were more fun where its a pretty even 4 way joust between folks with nonsense abilities. gotta love how its not until the show finale that they reveal Shizuno's ability which is potentially the most useful one against 'monster 1st year class' folks.

So saki universe mahjong ability level is something like:

cancel field control abilities> field control abilities > sharingan > boobs > lesbian powers

Also why doesn't shizuno wear anything under that jacket? thought there would be at least shorts or something, but apparently not when ako was wearing the jacket and half her ass was hanging out. Japan.

Kuro stop sucking.

So where is the saki manga atm? Is the finish line in sight? Is team stuff done yet?

duckroll

Garden of Sinners - Recalled Out Summer

This wasn't really what I expected at all, but it wasn't bad either. As the Japanese title (Gospel for the Future) suggests, the theme driving the story is about being able to see the future, and how different people view that power and how it affects their lives. It's mostly a character piece about two new characters, and their interactions with Shiki and Mikiya. Don't expect much action at all, there's a lot of talking, but it's actually fairly interesting. Better than the terrible "romantic" entries in KnK by far. Some parts felt a little draggy, but overall it was actually rather engaging.

Sudo does a pretty competent job on his directorial debut, and shows more promise here than his Fate/Zero episode (5). This is certainly not an easy story to direct, given how there's hardly any action, it introduces several new characters central to the story, is told in a non-linear fashion, and consists of stories about different people, which are connected by a common theme and location.

Fans of KnK will probably enjoy this quite a bit, but coming from Fate/Zero the production does feel a little bit of a letdown in terms of art and animation. The art direction returns to the style of the KnK movies where the backgrounds are heavily CG and there's a lot of digital post-processing even in mundane scenes. It gives the city a unique look, but not a pretty one. There were some nice cuts of animation but overall nothing to really shout about. It's clear the great animation was being produced for Ufotable's other 2013 movie instead. Lol.

tl;dr - Not bad, surprisingly character driven, not much action, liked it.

Garden of Sinners - Recalled Out Summer Extra Chorus

This was pure "fanservice" to close off the movie series, and not in a bad way at all. Ei Aoki returns to direct a short half hour entry which consists of three short stories set throughout 1998. There's a story about Shiki and a cat, another one about Fujino and a fellow student, and a New Year's Eve story with Shiki and Mikiya. The stories serve as some sort of closure for events throughout the movie series, as well as a way of putting various relationships and characterizations in context. It's a cute and nice way of closing off the entire franchise, and a much more effective one than the boring epilogue included in the final DVD originally.

Picked up volume 6 of the Spice and Wolf light novels today to continue the story on.

I COULDN'T JUST LET IT GO AFTER SEASON 2 OF THE ANIME.

Go pick up the rest the other currently available volumes! If you must only purchase the volumes not adapted for the anime, then just get volumes 4, 7-10 as you already have volume 6 and volume 11 does not come out until April.

BluWacky

http://moca-news.net/article/20140117/201401170120a/01/

The other Spring noitaminA series is an adaptaion of Taiyo Matsumoto's Ping Pong manga, directed by Masaaki Yuasa.

Trailer: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lmZVuMDlw-w

Thanks for the trailer link. Do you know if there was a trailer for the awful looking LN-adaptation with the long name that's paired with it?

I have owned the live action film version of Ping Pong for nearly 10 years and have maybe watched about ten minutes of it. I seem to remember it being surprisingly juvenile (probably a very good fit for Yuasa then...) but didn't realise it was a manga adaptation. Not much to say about the trailer other than "yes, that looks like a Masaaki Yuasa show", really.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom