• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Winter 2014 Anime |OT| I've got to find a dandy guy who killed my dad in the space

Status
Not open for further replies.

madp

The Light of El Cantare
Inari Konkon, Koi Iroha 1

This started out as a pretty average-feeling supernatural shoujo slice-of-life, but after the premise kicked in it was huge fun. Definitely has potential. Looking forward to more!

tatsuki

minami1b.gif

foxuzamaki

Doesn't read OPs, especially not his own
Code:breaker episode 1
Ive seen the first like 10 mins of the episode like a year ago, went meh and dropped it, it was recently brought up in a gaf thread that it had some cool action and stuff so figured why not, and the first episode I really liked, the ending also especially intrigues me, tho it does give off a :DTL vibe.

No-rin 2

Opening: Okay.
Ending: Enjoyable.

/dead after Keikaku and the Aizen parody.

The fact that the latter was tied to an inspiring panties speech was just incredible.

Sadly there wasn't enough of Becky this episode, but the Idol girl sure is scary cute. Already liking her as much as Oppai, who I only just realized is Tohka.

cnet128

Banned
Nourin 2

Oh my god that whole pantsu debate. So much glorious parody I couldn't even keep track. I feel ashamed of not realising where the Aizen one was from, though I knew I recognised it from somewhere.

I'm not sure what I was expecting from YukaRin's personality, but this certainly wasn't it. She's completely unflappable, and capable of being remarkably forward. The fact that the other three carried out that whole pantsu drama without any semblance of hesitation or shame right in front of this girl they just met (and whom one of them idolises above any other being on Earth, and who happens to be the owner of the pantsu in question) just made it even more ridiculously funny.

CorvoSol

In keeping with the terrible Anime-GAF tradition of pretending some video games are anime for the sake of no reasons at all:

Code of Princess

Code of Princess is a side-scrolling beat 'em up RPG by Atlus with most of its plot and character designs springing from the mind of Kinu Nishimura, the woman who did the character designs for the Zero Escape series as well as Street Fighter. You may watch the Opening here.

The plot follows Princess Solange Blanchefleur DeLuxia's quest to free her kingdom from the grasp of the evil Queen Distiny. Pictured above are Ali Baba the thief (who is a woman and the game's chief provider of SDBurton), Zozo the Necromancer (played by the same woman who voiced Yoko Littner), and the Elven "sage" Allegro Nantabile Cantabile (Incidentally the only male PC in Campaign Mode). Eventually they are joined by the Pro-Wrestling Champ Master T (a friend to all living things), the lecherous blind samurai Shooting Star, and the physical embodiment of the Church Militant Sister Helga.

The story takes more or less every single chance to make fun of itself and fantasy anime it can. For instance, the heroine dresses in more or less a thong and what could best be called "the lower half of a metal bra" (Kinu Nishimura herself apparently being a huge fan of female fanservice). At one point in the game soldiers from her own kingdom mistake their crown princess for a prostitute. There are characters with secret identities that are mocked constantly, and Zozo does her best to get upset any time people mistake her patchwork body of corpse parts for a zombie "I don't do that whole brains thing!"

Two things come up in the very end of the game which I feel especially drive home the batshit anime twists.
A main villain in a mask is revealed to be the older brother of our buxom blonde badass. The stone which the Gods gave mankind to create magic was in fact given to them to prevent humanity from ever reaching the pinnaccle of civilization and jeopardizing itself. Sky scrapers are shown in this scene, heavily implying the entire game takes place after the end of the world.

It's a fun, lighthearted game which is surprisingly challenging and completely unwilling to take itself seriously. I mostly recommend it to SDBurton, but heck, it's worth checking out anyway.

UyHE8Hw.jpg

The soundtrack's not half bad, either.

Syrinx

Aikatsu! 35

Huh. She didn't pick Ichigo. Though I was kinda feeling that she'd choose Ran since the show relies so much on the dynamic between Ichigo and Aoi. Anyway, if this means no more Ran, that would suck ass.

Narag

Somebody help me I'm 40 minutes into Hermes: The Winds of Love and . . . it's good. Like, it isn't remarkable, save by comparison to other Happy Science movies. There's no generic moving orchestral pieces. There's no looooooooooooong boring speeches or overbearing preaching youngster.

I'm 40 minutes into the movie and it's about how this dude Hermes busts into King Minos' castle to rescue his babetacular daughter. It horribly butchers Greek mythology and I'd be fine with that if not for the "all of this happened" sticker at the start, but hey, whatever. It's not beating me over the head with its message so far. It's just telling me a story which is, as far as Happy Science movies go, fairly sane, reigned in, and entertaining.

Wait for it.

Handsome brown girl? Picked up.

You're alright.

cnet128

Banned
In keeping with the terrible Anime-GAF tradition of pretending some video games are anime for the sake of no reasons at all:

Code of Princess

Congrats, you just managed to turn me around from not interested in this game to really kind of wanting to try it out within the space of one post. Impulse bought, downloading as we speak.

...is what I would be saying if the game was actually available on the Japanese eShop, but for some godforsaken reason this seems to be one of that tiny selection of titles that is only available physically. This is even more silly considering I understand the game is only available as a download in Europe. Fuck you Agatsuma, you just lost yourself a sale and I hate you forever. I cannot be bothered with import shipping or physical cartridges these days.

(I'm just kidding, Agatsuma, I could never hate you after you gave me Sayonara Umihara Kawase. Now can you let me download this title too? Pretty please?)

Gazoinks

Code of Princess

I gave this one a pass during the Atlus sales, but I'm lacking in good beat-em-ups so I'll probably pick it up sometime. This and EOU are the only 3DS Atlus games I don't own, I think. :p

CorvoSol

Wait for it.

1 hour and 5 minutes in: It begins.

FUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUCK. There goes the plot, I guess.

Congrats, you just managed to turn me around from not interested in this game to really kind of wanting to try it out within the space of one post. Impulse bought, downloading as we speak.

...is what I would be saying if the game was actually available on the Japanese eShop, but for some godforsaken reason this seems to be one of that tiny selection of titles that is only available physically. This is even more silly considering I understand the game is only available as a download in the West. Fuck you Agatsuma, you just lost yourself a sale and I hate you forever. I cannot be bothered with import shipping or physical cartridges these days.

(I'm just kidding, Agatsuma, I could never hate you after you gave me Sayonara Umihara Kawase. Now can you let me download this title too? Pretty please?)

Actually I own it physically. Even came as a collector's edition. Amazon's selling the English version for 25 bucks. I can't say that the game itself is particularly mind-blowing. It's a side-scrolling beat 'em up RPG, and while I've no problem with that (friggin River City Ransom's my JAM), some might. There's 8 PCs in the game, each with fairly different fighting styles, and a bunch of other PCs only available outside the main story mode.

But it's a funny, goofy game and I feel my 25 bucks were well spent. Especially since I only went through the game as Solange. I can always pick it up again and replay as another character and come away with a slightly different experience.

Here is a good example of the game play.

cajunator

Banned
Eh. When I was younger I wanted a little sister to fill out the set. Nowadays I'm pretty ambivalent on it.

There's so much wrong with this image :(

My brothers rock.

Dote is also a word I use to mean "pick on." As in "My cousin would not stop teasing me for having to gut the fish on the family campout, so I flung some at her."

I know. I was just kidding around. Youd be a good senpai.

Legit jealous now.

I only ever had brothers, and always wanted a little sister. This sounds like the next best thing.

I had a little sister for a day but she died. Wasnt meant to be I guess :(
I wonder what she would have been like..

Whaaaaaaaahhhh!

CorvoSol

I know. I was just kidding around. Youd be a good senpai.

I'm a terrible senior. I'm a terrible influence. I don't think I was even as good as my own seniors.

It killed me just how fast that one turned. The others are kinda this gradual crazy that you get acclimated with. Not this.

It was a pretty decent anime about Greek dudes doing Greek things until the 1 hour mark. I mean he meets God before that, but at the 1 hour mark God's like "So I'm the past you and you're the future me and in the future you will understand."

And then things go bananas.

Hunter x Hunter (2011) 46

Hey remember when Gon, Leorio, and Killua was in the show? Well, so did they!

Mafia is scared shitless of the Phantom Troupe. And now these guys are getting caught up in it.

It just keeps giving

Necrovex

Girl Und Pazar 1

Cute girls planning to drive adorable tanks? How could I not dig the first episodes?! The first episode did its job in introducing its character. They were all pretty damn swell...plus so MOE!

Quasar

Nourin 2

Oh my god that whole pantsu debate. So much glorious parody I couldn't even keep track. I feel ashamed of not realising where the Aizen one was from, though I knew I recognised it from somewhere.

I'm not sure what I was expecting from YukaRin's personality, but this certainly wasn't it. She's completely unflappable, and capable of being remarkably forward. The fact that the other three carried out that whole pantsu drama without any semblance of hesitation or shame right in front of this girl they just met (and whom one of them idolises above any other being on Earth, and who happens to be the owner of the pantsu in question) just made it even more ridiculously funny.

The whole underwear debate is where I lost interest. Went on way too long.

Syrinx

Full Metal Panic! 21

Kurz dropping truth bombs on Sousuke early on.

Yep, they really should have just killed Gauron. Bringing him alive onto a submarine was not a good idea. Still, you'd think such a cunning guy would have something better up his sleeve than a fake fire drill to isolate that area of the sub. Having one of those with you on board is awfully fishy, my friend.

CorvoSol

Okay so now Happy Science supports the existence of a Goddess of Love? Where does she fit into everything and why doesn't she go around shooting that golden arrow into the many couples struggling to have children?

NEVERMIND.

FAIRIES FROM GOD.

Girl Und Pazar 1

Cute girls planning to drive adorable tanks? How could I not dig the first episodes?! The first episode did its job in introducing its character. They were all pretty damn swell...plus so MOE!

I love that series. It was like, the first thing I watched when I'd first subscribed to crunchyroll.

madp

The Light of El Cantare
Okay so now Happy Science supports the existence of a Goddess of Love? Where does she fit into everything and why doesn't she go around shooting that golden arrow into the many couples struggling to have children?

Self-insert of Okawa's wife.

madp

The Light of El Cantare
I wish I could make divine fan-fiction.

Hey, man, anybody can start their own religion. It's just the whole finding followers thing that's out of your hands.

(relevant: Ryuho Okawa has a business degree, so he's extremely shrewd about how to successfully market himself)

*Ex-wife iirc.
Since retconned out of the mythos.

yup. Replaced by Konohana Sakuya in The Mystical Laws!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom