• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Winter 2014 Anime |OT| I've got to find a dandy guy who killed my dad in the space

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dresden

[Yamato 2199]

My only other real grievance is the ending, which I thought should have simply let the characters interact and, you know...breathe! It was such a frantic journey that preceded the finale, that I would have welcomed that calm. As it was, it veered into laying on the sentiment a little too thickly - coupled with the overall fatigue of everything being in absolutely dire straits, it softened the finale, just a tad. Yamato, you already had me! I probably couldn’t have cared more about that cast of characters by that point, so let me spend at least some moments of respite with them. That said, any quibbles I have are minor, and overall, it was an extremely satisfying journey.

Summary: Yamato 2199 is a sumptuous, Faberge egg of anime. It’s to be savored.

I was disappointed by the last few episodes in general -
the contrivances start piling up without justification, so unlike the fantastic middle stretch of the show,
and the constraints of dealing with a remake (along with the wriggle-room required to justify sequels) made for some silly moments. The ending itself (that is, where
Moses lays down his staff
) is so satisfying and thematically complete that these complaints felt somewhat frivolous after the credits rolled, but they're still there, nonetheless.

Still, so damn good.

zeroshiki

the contrivances start piling up without justification, so unlike the fantastic middle stretch of the show,
and the constraints of dealing with a remake (along with the wriggle-room required to justify sequels) made for some silly moments. The ending itself (that is, where
) is so satisfying and thematically complete that these complaints felt somewhat frivolous after the credits rolled, but they're still there, nonetheless.

Still, so damn good.

I'll say it again but I think 24-26 should have been 1 episode and the entirety of 25 should not have happened. It would have made for a better ending and allowed us to skip some of the more horrible contrivances the show came up with.

wonzo

Banned
Started opening up all the packages from Rightstuf's sale and I was greeted with this.

killinganime1.jpg

im so mad right now

Kazzy

Still, so damn good.

Yup, a lot of the critiques simply pale against the overall package, particularly when you begin to lament it actually reaching that conclusion (however forced that may be).

Hunter x Hunter (2011) 96

Remember the Phantom Troupe? Who would forget them!?

Although they saved that sakuga for right when it was ending ._. CURSES

Tenchi GXP Dub 6

The series is really at it's best when Seina's horrible luck just causes the most insane slap stick moments. Also this series better end in a harem end because because there are at least 3 girls who should end up with Seina so far. If this series does a dance around ending and doesn't give an actual winner I'll be furious.

Dresden

Hope that the same staff who worked on Maou-sama work on this, I suppose. Those designs are never going to look good unless they get to change out the colors though.

firehawk12

Subete no aware

Still, so damn good.
So is Monogatari SS going to be your #1?

good thing they jacked up free shipping to canada. could you imagine how firehawk would have felt?
lol

dimb

Bjergsen is the greatest midlane in the world
Hope that the same staff who worked on Maou-sama work on this, I suppose. Those designs are never going to look good unless they get to change out the colors though.
why would you wish one of the worst directors at white fox on something you want to succeed?

survivor

Banned
Guys, if you enjoyed WataMote and want a more serious take on what life would be like if you tried to shun the outside world and lived in a society where you could have a relationship with your 2d waifu, then you should really watch Her. It's as awkward and cringeworthy as WataMote, but a bit more nuanced in its judgement of Ted, the main character, in that he's never quite condemned for his behavior or his desires.

In fact, imagine if the entire world was okay with you carrying around a copy of Love Plus and talking to it as if it was the love of your life. The film asks you to question the many possibilities of world that is beyond human relationships, but it never tells you how to feel when you see Ted go through his life affair. Are you supposed to empathize or sympathize with his situation? It's really all left to you to decide.
Maybe I should go watch this after all. My friend was pestering me to watch it the other day, but I just couldn't see how they can make the premise not come out very silly or have some dumb preachy message at the end.

Hitokage

Setec Astronomer
Tenchi GXP Dub 6

The series is really at it's best when Seina's horrible luck just causes the most insane slap stick moments. Also this series better end in a harem end because because there are at least 3 girls who should end up with Seina so far. If this series does a dance around ending and doesn't give an actual winner I'll be furious.
Part of the problem.

Syrinx

Nichijou 9

Mio's sister is a jerk, isn't she?

Restaurant scene was pretty funny. Awkward feeling when your dish is the only one they haven't brought out yet. And then the mosquito scene. Got a kick out of Yukko's mom smacking her. She's got to be hell for her to put up with.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
Maybe I should go watch this after all. My friend was pestering me to watch it the other day, but I just couldn't see how they can make the premise not come out very silly or have some dumb preachy message at the end.
It's neither. Spike Jonez makes it all work, and the end is probably not what you'd expect from a movie about dating a computer waifu.

They still don't even have free shipping to where I'm at. orz
Well, unless you buy 250 bucks of anime every time, it's not really free here either. And we're stuck using crappy Fedex of all couriers.

darkside/Kagami's alt.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom