• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Winter 2014 Anime |OT| I've got to find a dandy guy who killed my dad in the space

Status
Not open for further replies.

Shard

XBLAnnoyance
Mahou Shoujo Lyrical Nanoha Episode 1 and Episode 2

If I had to guess, I would say this is the specific show that was being deconstructed by Madoka Magica and as such it is kind of hard to take it at face value these days.

Nagi Asu 17

I can't wait till Kaname snaps. He's been level-headed for too long and he always gets screwed by life.

I want to see him breakdown.

If its like Gintama, then you have piqued my interests. My only question is, does this have romance in it? I would love to watch an action comedy, but I don't think I'd like if it had romance in it. I've only seen 1 pic of the anime, but it seem'd kinda romancey.

The artstyle is a bit shoujo looking, but it's not. Just like with Gintama there might be a character that might be a bit attracted to another (like every once in a while cheek blush) but 4 episodes in it has been nothing but comedy mixed with action and some serious bits. The reason I specified Gintoki is because Yato is a former badass who now is a lazy bum taking odd-jobs and has two kids following him around.

Give it a watch, the recent episode's humor was pretty damn good. Plus like I said the OS is amazing so far. And Yato's voice actor is Zetsubou Sensei/Penguin-san.

DiGiKerot

If I had to guess, I would say this is the specific show that was being deconstructed by Madoka Magica and as such it is kind of hard to take it at face value these days.

Not really. I mean, Nanoha was pretty much the last show Shinbo directed before taking permanent residence at Shaft (well, he was doing in concurrently with Tsukuyomi -moonphase-, wasn't he?), so it does at least have a similar visual look in places, but I wouldn't say Madoka is a deconstruction of anything in particular really.

Infact, Nanoha (and particularly the sequels) aren't really that typical of magical girls shows, in so much as they increasingly start channeling super robot shows as they go along. It wouldn't really make sense to deconstruct something that's atypical itself.

Well Aniplex USA has the episode up on Daisuki, complete with subs in every available language except English! I just watched it there.

*shrug* I still reckon the subtitles come from Aniplex on Kill la Kill :p

Haha. That's exactly as I felt watching it for the first time. This show felt like the anti-Madoka. It even has the same director.

Show is still pretty good though. Especially A's.

Mature

So what's your favorite anime so far this season guys? For me it has to be Noragami. Everything has been flawless and has been pointing to Yato being a new Gintoki. Plus the OST so far has me in love.
Space Dandy by a long country mile. Despite it being a lot of talent that I enjoy the work of, I'm really digging the variety in the episodes. Last weeks zombie episode was funny in a different way than the previous episodes, and next episode looks like it could be entirely straight faced serious.

Of course, I'm also having a good time with the other BONES show Noragami. Outside of those, GBF is still a consistent source of delight.

You will watch shittily animated Adult Swim shoes and YOU WILL LIKE IT. Nothing stops this 4 hour nightly marathon of Family Guy reruns. Nothing.
This would probably be a good time to recommend people watch Rick and Morty because it's really good.

Hitokage

Setec Astronomer

God is dead.

This would probably be a good time to recommend people watch Rick and Morty because it's really good.

I keep getting Rick and Morty recommended to me. From the episodes I've seen it doesn't seem like it is laugh out loud funny, just really well written. Which isn't a bad thing, as I haven't been laughing out loud with much recently.

God is dead.

ttNiXbE.gif

CorvoSol

Honestly just stop watching. Clearly you're not enjoying the show. And going further with your impressions might cause somebody to hire an assassin.

a moe assassin

That'd require a good murder plot.

And it'd be more exciting than anything that's happened in 9 episodes of this AnimeGAF favorite. Comparisons to Sherlock Holmes are entirely off base for this show, because in Holmes things actually happened, and Holmes' involvement and the mystery's existence were not contingent upon Watson being a knuckle dragging mouth breather.

That'd require a good murder plot.

And it'd be more exciting than anything that's happened in 9 episodes of this AnimeGAF favorite. Comparisons to Sherlock Holmes are entirely off base for this show, because in Holmes things actually happened, and Holmes' involvement and the mystery's existence were not contingent upon Watson being a knuckle dragging mouth breather.

Well the comparisons are due to the characters and certain relationships being directly influenced by Holmes. Not necessarily the level of the mysteries. Also this'd be the intro novel, we never got more stuff to expand on detective work.

CorvoSol

Well the comparisons are due to the characters and certain relationships being directly influenced by Holmes. Not necessarily the level of the mysteries. Also this'd be the intro novel, we never got more stuff to expand on detective work.

Obviously it cannot be the mysteries.

Because they're fucking shit.

9 episodes of this show and they have ALL been the same exact thing.

"Hey Hotaro isn't this vaguely unusual?"

"NO."

"HOTARO I AM CURIOUS LET ME SHOVE MYSELF IN YOUR FACE PLEASE EXPLAIN SO I DON'T HAVE TO THINK HOTARO"

"BORING TALKING FOR TWENTY FUCKING MINUTES"

"CONCLUSION."

Lather, rinse, repeat. There are Monster of the Week shows less formulaic and repetitive than this.

Compare it to other KyoAni shows, FMP not included, where the plot is basically cute girls doing moe shit or really bad LN adaptation, and it's not hard to see why people praise it so much. It's good by itself and I'm not backing away from that statement, but it's even better when compared to the pandering crap KyoAni tends to put out

CorvoSol

Compare it to other KyoAni shows, FMP not included, where the plot is basically cute girls doing moe shit or really bad LN adaptation, and it's not hard to see why people praise it so much. It's good by itself and I'm not backing away from that statement, but it's even better when compared to the pandering crap KyoAni tends to put out

Putting my nonexistent good reputation at risk, how doesn't this apply to Hyouka? Add the word mystery in before moe and you have the entirety of Chitanda's character right there.

Samurai Flamenco 15

Don't fuck with this Prime Minister!

Is it sad that as nuts as this episode was, it made more sense than that Investor Meeting with Nintendo yesterday?

Midonin

Onee-chan ga Kita! 04/Pupa 04

Either way you're going to get siblings doting on each other, it just depends on how much blood one wants spilled. I prefer the former, but pupa's interesting to watch, if only for the art alone and its weird watercolor-esque thing it has going on.

CorvoSol

Watching Kenya Boy and suddenly there's a giant, man-eating frog. So much for this being a realistic, if racist, trip through the African Savannah.

Putting my nonexistent good reputation at risk, how doesn't this apply to Hyouka? Add the word mystery in before moe and you have the entirety of Chitanda's character right there.

It applies to Hyouka in the sense that KyoAni can't produce a show without some moe as that's their bread 'n' butter. I appreciate that they only had one character to bring their otaku pandering moe. Now it's been a while since I've seen the show but I don't recall many other characters in the show whose sole purpose was having gigantic eyes/

CorvoSol

It applies to Hyouka in the sense that KyoAni can't produce a show without some moe as that's their bread 'n' butter. I appreciate that they only had one character to bring their otaku pandering moe. Now it's been a while since I've seen the show but I don't recall many other characters in the show whose sole purpose was having gigantic eyes/

The girls from the hotspring episode immediately come to mind.

CorvoSol

Corvo, people are going to come after you for this, so I hope you're prepared for a good long argument.

Eh. I could use the posts anyway, catch me up to Cajun again. As it stands I can't make any argument beyond "the 9 episodes I've seen so far were really boring and repetitive" though, so nobody should expect great things out of me.

duckroll

Samurai Flamenco - Episode 15

Soooooooooo glad that arc is finally over. I welcome the new arc with open arms. My brain is incapable of processing enough thoughts right not to say much much than that. Watching this show late at night is probably a bad idea. I'm going to have weird dreams. >_<

Okay I lied. I can still process thoughts. Some of the transition into the new arc feels a bit lazy and unnatural, probably as a result of the previous arc being so drawn out and long, but it's still so much more interesting. So it looks like the next superhero theme they're going to parody is The Incredibles? Roflmao. This should be a good chance for Masayoshi to find out who his real friends are!

I really hope they finish the actual OP by next week. :p

Mature

I keep getting Rick and Morty recommended to me. From the episodes I've seen it doesn't seem like it is laugh out loud funny, just really well written. Which isn't a bad thing, as I haven't been laughing out loud with much recently.
Well, I'd certainly disagree, as I've laughed out loud at nearly every episode (maybe save the first two).

Jarmel

Banned
Eh. I could use the posts anyway, catch me up to Cajun again. As it stands I can't make any argument beyond "the 9 episodes I've seen so far were really boring and repetitive" though, so nobody should expect great things out of me.

Btw I would recommend finishing it as otherwise people are going to use that against you if you ever try to discuss it.

CorvoSol

Btw I would recommend finishing it as otherwise people are going to use that against you if you ever try to discuss it.

This is one reason I continue to watch it. The other is the hope that I'm wrong and my opinion is changed by events as they continue.

Dresden

So what's your favorite anime so far this season guys? For me it has to be Noragami. Everything has been flawless and has been pointing to Yato being a new Gintoki. Plus the OST so far has me in love.

I don't know about flawless, but Noragami is good. Solid humor, solid production, gud tracks - what's not to like?

Of this season's shows, I'm still watching Noragami, Seki-kun, and Space Dandy.

If only streaming it on funimation could be flawless instead of a buffer crazed experience.

Favorite would be Hamatora. Fits in with what I like in anime and made me excited for the universe and such.

I like Buddy Complex too. Though it makes me continue to hold the view that I need to see these mecha series on bd instead of just through a SD stream, it looks like itd be great mecha animated in unadulterated HD. Dialogue is great too.

ZX Ignition is fun and underrated too, and BuddyFight.

Samurai Flamenco 15
Admittedly, hasn't this trope been done before though. It seems crazy but it's just quite the unexpected change in pace. I do hope we see more of Mr. Justice

Midonin

Golden Time 16

Well, an episode like this was due for some time. Koko's dad is, slap aside, pretty chill with things, moreso than I expected.

Hitokage

Setec Astronomer
CorvoSol: If you're expecting murder mysteries you've got the wrong show. Hyouka is more about using critical thinking to resolve everyday affairs, and much more about the characters involved in these affairs.

This may not be for you! But that doesn't mean reaching an understanding of why others like it is hopeless.

Shard

XBLAnnoyance
Hoozuki no Reitetsu Episode 4:

Cultural barriers aside this is a top contender for Show of the Season, at least full show. Can't really stack Tonari No Seki-Kun against it. Anyway, I really like the premise of the program and the pacing is rather keen as well. I do dispute the notion that the Flying Nimbus is a better vehicle then Catbus though. Also, Mustard may be my favorite chracter of this show thus far.

Kill la Kill, most definetly. Show's a ton of fun to watch.

Hyouka 9

Nothing happens

Chitanda is fucking horrible

Show is formulaic as shit.

"I scream" indeed.

It's funny. When I looked up this show, I had this really weird sneaking suspiscion that it was going to involve psychological horror for some reason. I don't know why. It was probably because the cover of the light-novel shown on the Wikipedia page says "You can't escape."

Well looks like Corvo's reactions proved me wrong there.

cajunator

Banned
I beg to differ.

i9zr7GP.jpg

Saw the nihao nyan dance commercial. Fell in love. End of story.
Im a simple guy.

Heh. Even I can see that this is bad. I don't usually notice :p

Might add to backlog.

Oh, yeah. Forgot to add this to backlog. Added now.

A little Mashiro cuteness added to your daily routine makes life go by remarkably easily.
Also be sure to add in copious amounts of Kinmoza, NNB, and Hidamari sketch and youll be just fine!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom