• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Winter 2014 Anime |OT2| Waiting for Sakamoto

Status
Not open for further replies.

wonzo

Banned
Wake Up, Girls! - Seven Idols

wakeupgirlssevenidols.jpg

This certainly had enough cynical and self aware IDOL CULTURE to differentiate itself from every other "idol" series out there. It just reeks of how sad this industry is, down to the
runaway producer, the fucked over former idol,
and the completely needless panty shots at the end. I'll check out the TV series sometime soon even though it'll probably turn out looking uglier than this was and this was already pretty damn lackluster visually outside of the sakuga dance scene at the end.

Zvezda 5

sekaiseifuku5.jpg

About damn time they focused on Renge and her antics in the "White Light"!

It doesn't even matter. From the start it looked uninteresting as shit. If I have to watch another 'slacker who didn't do shit his whole life is actually like shonen jesus' anime I'll kill myself. This pandering has to stop.

I would've just said skip to that part since nothing of value really happens. No shame in doing that. Granted.... I wouldn't bother to watch it anyway because of things.

Gintama 113

Greatest PSA on Bathroom Hygiene I've ever seen... To the point that it was a drug dream

Jex

Riding Bean

Well that was a thing

Bean is apparently an android with the power to repel bullets and punch though cars
Nah Bean is just like, 80's buff. With a kevlar jacket. And bandanna.

Okay so maybe he did like lift up that car kinda.

cajunator

Banned
HappinessCharge! Precure 3

There was dog abuse up in here. Wow.

Anywho, Seiji to be the most useful side male in the franchise confirmed. Got his own pink phone of justice. Jesus, he already styled and profile on a lot of male characters.

Was pretty much a showing of Lovely being a hardcore badass, completely wrecking the fuck out of things. Like good lord, It almost reminds me of Cure Marine showing up Cure Blossom because the other one is incompetent at fighting.

I guess we have a good idea for how CG will be used, so AikatsuCure might be dead after all.
At the same time, probably disappointing for future uses.

Also romance is forbidden! Hahahaha! That's like... unexpected given the writer was previously on Yes! 5. Oh well, as long as Seiji and Megumi are pretty much on bro-tier, what can go wrong?

Frankly, this was a pretty damn good episode. Can't wait for Princess to become more active. Also good teamwork yo!

xtTCNkc.jpg

How do yall make sense of whats going on when it just aired raw? I kind of envy that. Ive watched so much subbed anime but havent picked up anything beyond rudimentary words.

Gunsmith Cats

This was a really well done 3 part OVA series, probably the best looking gun fights I've ever seen in an anime. The story was really well paced and felt like a movie broken up into 3 parts. Had a great balance of action, comedy, fan service, and plot that really just made everything come together. 4.5/5 really was a blast to watch

ohhh....

Riding Bean

Well that was a thing

Bean is apparently an android with the power to repel bullets and punch though cars

are yall watching these together?

Gunsmith Cats

That Russian chick....hottest Terminator ever

Riding Bean

Note to self: Don't insult Bean's car. Ever

So many watching these great shows. Im happy.

Engaged to the Unidentified 5

Welp, the cat's out of the bag, folks!

i3RyJv3V4oU50.png

i1BAjCH54mWbO.png

iZnutEcgOB1o7.png

We get to meet Hakuya's and Mashiro's mother! And learn some secrets! The show has
supernatural
elements!

ioPyMaHU61hgL.png

Well, it was still a fun episode. Quite funny as well.

My heart can barely take this show.

Gunsmith Cats

I watched this years ago but mostly forgot what had happened. A fun OVA with a nice Hollywood/American flair. You can tell the team really did their research on Chicago. More anime need to take place outside of Japan.

Riding Bean

This was 80's as fuck with the OST to back it up. Odd to see a Japanese team pay for English songs (good English) for this one of OVA but I liked it. Plot and characters were kind of nonsensical (like why was Bean super powered?) but it was fun enough.

Space Dandy 7

post-29824-R-Kelly-WTF-WHAT-gif-DAFUQ-Tra-WRJC.gif

DA BEST

Yet another one! Ive watched Riding bean and gunsmith cats like a million times.

Jex

Dropped the anime in the middle of 3 and stopped reading the manga at around chapter 50 or so. Feels good man.

Sounds about right. The first episodes, in typical SHAFT style, were the only one's where they were really trying. Now it's just a route, mechanically directed series to match the story itself I suppose.

Engaged to the Unidentified 5

Welp, the cat's out of the bag, folks!

i3RyJv3V4oU50.png

i1BAjCH54mWbO.png

iZnutEcgOB1o7.png

We get to meet Hakuya's and Mashiro's mother! And learn some secrets! The show has
supernatural
elements!

ioPyMaHU61hgL.png

Well, it was still a fun episode. Quite funny as well.

I am really starting to like the show as well. Lots of great moments.
"Mai Waifu!!!" "I think your not using that term properly!"

Clannad: After Story Harder 8

This episode started kind of slow, but it turned into I think my favorite so far. Good feels. Nice to flesh out a character who was pretty unimportant previously. I'm not sure whether it's good or bad that all the miniscule side characters are better than the main girls in Clannad. :p

My only problem with this episode was
everyone being knocked out by food. Could they not think of a better way of getting Tomoya into the ring? It felt too silly for the rest of the scene.

I LOL'd when that happened.
Sanae's bread taking everyone out was amazing.
Loved it. As you'll move on I think you'll appreciate that moment more.

Branduil

Sounds about right. The first episodes, in typical SHAFT style, were the only one's where they were really trying. Now it's just a route, mechanically directed series to match the story itself I suppose.

If you told me Nisekoi was the first manga/anime produced entirely in the mind of a computer program without outside human intervention I would believe you.

Jex

He also
punched his hands through a car door and pulled it off.

Look, you just need to accept that Bean Bandit and John Estes 'Sleepy' (of Mad Bull fame) are brothers and then you need no further explanation because it makes too much sense.

Branduil

Look, you just need to accept that Bean Bandit and John Estes 'Sleepy' (of Mad Bull fame) are brothers and then you need no further explanation because it makes too much sense.

Why did Rally Vincent ditch Bean for Minnie May and dye her hair brunette, though?

How do yall make sense of whats going on when it just aired raw? I kind of envy that. Ive watched so much subbed anime but havent picked up anything beyond rudimentary words.

TV is a visual thing for the most part. Pretty easy to do considering it's a show aimed at kids, so there's not much complicated about it. Although, sometimes, we do need more context in word heavy moments.

Gintama 114

We see Toshiro's otaku side again, although it was more for the sake of shaking off a dude's daughter.

But god damn, it's like she's willing to accept any and everyone, regardless of what they have. It's as if she's there to be the "waifu-ist" type character in a show.

Link Man

Banned
Higurashi 17

I thought I might have been a bit desensitized in regards to this show.

NOPE.

Holy crap.
Hearing her cry when she missed the second time.

:(

SKET Dance 46-47: Bossun's Arc

wEgKL0K.gif

While not as sad as Switch's backstory, it was a very heartfelt story. Sad moments, happy feels, character growth, you mention it. It was amazing. Bossun gets so many bro points.

Articalys

SKET Dance 46-47: Bossun's Arc

http://i.imgur.com/wEgKL0K.gif[IMG]

While not as sad as Switch's backstory, it was a very heartfelt story. Sad moments, happy feels, character growth, you mention it. It was amazing. Bossun gets so many bro points.[/QUOTE]
You ain't done yet. Watch episode 48 [I]now[/I].

Jex

Anyway, on a slight tangent, time to do some book pimping:

Anime A History

41bktup9tdl._sy445_hle3w.jpg

So I mentioned this briefly when I first got my hands on it a couple of months ago but now that I've delved a lot deeper into the text I have more to say about it. In the English language world there honestly aren't that many academic/factual books about anime that are really worth your time. If you do a little bit of research you can find articles and essays here are there which are pretty good but, by and large, most of the work you find is really just a collection of disparate essays which are all arguing for their pet theory about this or that e.g. female identity in Utena.

What makes Jonathan Clements Anime A History different is that it's actually a scarily thorough scholarly work of history that devoted to the entire field of anime. Not only has Clements read the English sources, or Japanese translations of the Japanese book, but he can read all the native original Japanese sources too. He's intimately familiar with the entirety of the scholarship in the field and he does a great job in pulling it all together. Not only does he take all these varying sources and compile them but he examines them critically, pointing out where autobiographies make no sense and where people being interviewed have clearly got their facts wrong. It's thorough and comprehensive in a way that nearly every other book I've read on the subject isn't.

Probably the most interesting part of the book for anyone interested in the history of anime is the section that focuses on 'early anime' e.g. anything pre-1964 Astro Boy. Now, I imagine most people with an interest in the subject are well aware that there were anime works pre-1964 but I really hadn't grasped just how much anime had been produced in that period. To give you an idea, we don't get to Astroy Boy till 1964 and therefore over 100 pages of the book deal with anime before that period.

What I really about the text is that you're not just getting a history of anime but you're learning about the history early 20th Century Japan as well as the earliest days of film both in Japan and elsewhere. Here's a few interesting extracts:

On Moral Panic

"The incorporation of cinema and cartoons as mere elements within the wider field of sideshow entertainment seemed to persist until 1911, when cinema itself was foregrounded as the focus of a new moral panic, in the wake of an allegedly harmful foreign import that glorified the activities of a live-action French master-theif. Ji-Go-Ma (1911, Zigomar)...Zigomar was soon followed by it's French sequels, and by several Japanese works that purported to be continuations. To the horror of the Ministry of Education, Japanese children were reported 'playing' games in which they and their friends imitated the French criminals. Inevitably, newspaper reports began to associate juvenile delinquents with the film assigning the name 'Zigomar gangs' to disaffected youth...by 1912 newspaper were suggesting that Zigomar was merely one of several dangerously influential narratives consumed by impressionable youth and that the nature of film itself made cinema a potentially dangerous and subversive blight on society."

There's a later section that deals with secret anime produced by government as instructional tools for war and later in that chapter:

On Fantasia

"In 1941, a dozen men assembled in a private Tokyo screening room. The select group had been called together to see an item that had been seized in the South Pacific by a Japanese navy patrol boat before the official outbreak of hostilities. Hidden in the hold of a raided American transport ship, a number of canisters of film had been brought back to Japan for inspection, and then prepared for a viewing.

The film was Walt Disney's Fantasia (1940), screened in secret so that the animators of wartime Japan could know their enemy. Fantasia itself would not be distributed in Japanese cinemas until 1955, but had a powerful effect on its tiny, invited audience. Ushio Soji, then working as animator under his real name of Sagisu Tomino, sat in the dark and wept at the finale...we only know this because it his account of the screening some sixty-six years later that confirms it...it was show only to the topmost animation directors."

Sekai Seifuku 3
Smoking is bad and you should feel bad if you do it. Great job Kate though we now know one of Zvezda's weaknesses is thick smoke

Jintor

Well I wouldn't say hate (I don't really hate any piece of media) but I failed to get past an episode or two due to total disinterest.

Of course I also haven't liked much if any Ghibli stuff I've see. Mononoke being on exception.

You're a weird person, Quasar

Gazoinks

Well I wouldn't say hate (I don't really hate any piece of media) but I failed to get past an episode or two due to total disinterest.

Of course I also haven't liked much if any Ghibli stuff I've see. Mononoke being on exception.

You should keep going, the first 4ish episodes of Bebop are by faaaaar the worst part of the series. I personally think it's slightly overrated, but it's still really good. :p I love the last episode.

Articalys

Anyway, on a slight tangent, time to do some book pimping:

Anime A History
Not sure if that kind of history research is something I'm particularly interested in, but I'll keep it in mind.

This reminds me, ANN published an decent-length interview with Clements a few weeks ago about the book:

http://www.animenewsnetwork.co.uk/interview/2014-01-28/jonathan-clements

Here's a couple of the questions so you can decide if it's worth reading:
The book mentions the moments of actual conflict at Japanese studios, at TOHO in 1948 (when aircraft and tanks were set on film workers) and at Toei in the 1960s (when the young Takahata and Miyazaki marched in strikes). Do you think that kind of insurrection is imaginable at anime studios today?

You describe the impact that Disney's imported films had on the anime industry when they were released after the war. Do you think that the recent generation of CGI features from Pixar or Dreamworks are having a comparable impact on anime now?

God dammit watching all these sad parent episodes in anime only make me remember the protag's dad backstory from Clannad AS and cry like a little bitch.

GOD DAMMIT ANIME I NEED COMEDY AGAIN.

Jex

Not sure if that kind of history research is something I'm particularly interested in, but I'll keep it in mind.

This reminds me, ANN published an decent-length interview with Clements a few weeks ago about the book:

http://www.animenewsnetwork.co.uk/interview/2014-01-28/jonathan-clements

Here's a couple of the questions so you can decide if it's worth reading:

Right people should be well aware of what the book is before like, jumping in. It's a fairly serious academic-level text on the history of anime. Which isn't so that that it's boring or dry, because it's not, but it isn't written in the style of say a more chatty blog and it's not about reviewing anime.

Gintama 115

"I'm not 'All right'! I'm Katsura!"

Seems like the start of a new arc. Fuck.

This was utterly hilarious, and I'm rather happy with our pick of characters for this arc, considering Otae and Kyuubey were sitting in the back for some time. Hell, Hasegawa is here too!

The second half was fucking glorious. Male nudity as if there was not a single fuck given (until you're not alone) on top of seeing "embarrassing moments" of everyone.
Kyuubey shielding her icecream turned poop drawing was adorable.

OF COURSE KATSURA HAD TO ONE UP SOMEONE! That's how he fucking rolls!!

For the time being, it's probably a good thing that we're taking attention away from the Shinsengumi, considering they've been both prevalent in normal comedy arcs as well as two of the more serious arcs as well. It's seeing a side of characters that didn't get too much time since they had the spotlight.

I'm pretty sure the Shinsengumi end up being important players in many of the serious arc. But one of the most badass ones, where best girl is introduced, they're not in there.

Branduil

Right people should be well aware of what the book is before like, jumping in. It's a fairly serious academic-level text on the history of anime. Which isn't so that that it's boring or dry, because it's not, but it isn't written in the style of say a more chatty blog and it's not about reviewing anime.

But how many anime episode screencap reviews are in it?

fertygo

Hajime no Ippo Rising - 19

I don't get the complaint for the production value, its seem pretty good for Ippo's standard and might be the best looking fight eps from this season.. yeah its still abusing fast lines/quick cut/repeat animation but I thought we got more angle and usual and that's good.

For the episode itself, its great.. the directing seem on-point from this one, and the music doesn't make me angry.

The event shuffle for
Miyata's suspicion for Takamura's eye condition
is damn weird though, its make no sense at all unlike in the manga where he report it to Ippo far before the match.

I'm pretty sure the Shinsengumi end up being important players in many of the serious arc. But one of the most badass ones, where best girl is introduced, they're not in there.

Right, which is why the one I'm moving onto feels like a breath of fresh air. I mean, it's pretty difficult to even have certain members on the team because of affiliations.

Gintama Progress for the Week

About 115 episodes in. That's over half of what's available of Gintama (not factoring in the 2011) version, and close to half of everything available (except the recap thing). Pretty clear that I fell short of the 20 a day dealio, considering doing that would've put me at 140 instead. If anything, that just means there's room for improvement in terms of marathoning.

Hell, Day 2 (or 3) had 30 ep runs, which is probably the limit I could go without fucking over my sleep clock. Needless to say, despite running short of my plan, I'm moving faster through Gintama than I am with Precure and Sailor Moon.

Show quality wise, I'm actually enjoying it obviously. I mean... there's things in here that reminds me of the older days... although the things I'm remembering aren't things that should be remembered, but I do recall male nudity being a bit more prevalent on TV. How that is now, I don't know, because I don't watch much cable TV. It's more of a.... "wow, the shit they're getting away with here, what the fuck?" Cultural differences and whatnot.

That being said, watching this reminded me of the old subbing days, and it's kind of a hinderance to my enjoyment. At one point, Translator Notes and subs completely covered the screen, it was a nightmare. Yeah, TNs were like.... a barrier for me. Oh well, what can I do? It's what Crunchyroll is offering, so I might as well put up with it.

Feels department wise, Doremi > Gintama

Seraphis Cain

bad gameplay lol
Chuunibyou 9

Oh man, Rikka trying to flirt is so adorable. And
that scene at the end...I teared up a little, I admit

This show. I kinda love it.

Hattori

Banned
Zvezda 6
Pretty uneventful, however I do like that Egret is getting more screentime.

------------

I agree Gedomaru kicks ass

Space Dandy 7

Because the Redline comparisons weren't enough, they actually made a ridiculous space race episode hahahaha. And it's easily one of the best ones. Space Dandy, you make some dandy ass episodes baby

"THAT WASNT VERY NICE"

SO :DTL

Articalys

Oh, absolutely, I'm not saying it's dull or anything.

Westlo

tsukuyo
. She was so best girl, she was even the most popular among fans and
in the character poll arc the other girls were aiming to get rid of her
lol

I love Gintama

Oh I know her, was randomly watching gintama ops and got sucked into that arc that introduced her, shit was godlike.

sX1dyMf.jpg

Because fandom already overrating Tsuky too much

Come at me, gintamabros

When's she rock up?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom