• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Winter 2014 Anime |OT2| Waiting for Sakamoto

Status
Not open for further replies.
Night Raid 1931: 1-14 Series Thoughts
ihlAeFd.jpg

Well I finished this show in one sitting. It started out very strong, fizzled out quite a bit towards the later half, and ended in a satisfying fashion by the end.

The Premise: A group of people with superpowers work as a team for shady government missions in the 1930's. Think of X-Men in a period piece. The show largely takes place in China, though it does have a very international feeling to it so if that's something that appeals to you, go for it. It has a very Baccano!/Gangsters design to the outfits and settings.

The Characters: None really stand out besides Aoi and his waifu. They're not bad, but they develop very little if at all. We have a loving badass butler, a strong empowered woman, and the sasuke of the anime. Then we have Aoi which I guess would be like the Naruto, only less annoying and more cheerful. The other characters weren't black or white which I appreciated, as it shows a level of maturity that seinen tend to have. The villains didn't really feel like villains, just a different side to a coin.

Animation: The first episode seems to have wasted most of its animation budget as later episodes weren't nearly as spectacular with their fight scenes or animation. They weren't bad either but I was expecting so much.

Over-all:
I enjoyed it. I can now see why it isn't really mentioned here. It's not bad and it doesn't jump the shark, it's just...forgettable? Yeah that's it. They tried to do something with a message about the atomic bomb but it felt a bit forced in and too obvious since it's Japan and all, so I kind of cringed at it when they kept beating me upside the head with it. It's entertaining enough to keep you watching, but it's similar to Jormungand in that sense where you keep watching and you're entertained but it never really hits a homerun so you'll just be entertained. Like watching a B-movie.

I wouldn't recommend the show by any means, but I wouldn't say it's bad either. If it catches your attention give it a watch, but don't expect anything spectacular.

I liked night raid .

t was nothing special but aside from all the stuff left open in the ending , i think that it worked alright ...there aren't just enough anime trying to tackle this period of time. and night raid managed to get it properly

cajunator

Banned
So did you buy Aoi Hana? I did. :p

I did!

It's on my to do list. FigureGAF put a hurting on my wallet so I need to wait until my next paycheck. :lol

There's a camera around here somewhere, if I can find it I'll take some shots so you guys can see what I have so far. :D

Figuregaf are very adept at enabling. They are pros. Its too late for you really.

Dang it Madp. Now I have followers on Twitter and they're EXPECTING something of me. I can't handle this kind of pressure!

I love pressure ^^

Seraphis Cain

bad gameplay lol
Kotoura-san 1-5

Wow. The opening scene to this show really gets you hooked. This show can go from serious drama to over-the-top comedy quickly, which can be a bit jarring but it's super interesting. I kind of wish they chose a more serious approach but I really dig this either way. Highly recommend checking out the first ep. The first 10 mins especially tells you so much about Kotoura -- it's really well done.

And then you get to the
creepy grandpa
scene and the whole thing is kinda ruined.

Ojamajo Doremi Dokkaan! - Episode 4

Due to the MAHO-dou being Onpu-less it's been getting terrible sales. Hana decides to take matters into her own hands and make multiple Onpus (Having more then one multiplies the sales right?)!

Loved it at the end when
Onpu arrived at the MAHO-dou and everyone thought that they missed getting one of them!

Theonik

Much of my following is pretty undeserved!
For me it goes: "Follow that guy because he sounds cool without reading his TL"
"Oh god it's all pixiv links heeeeeelp" *unfollow*

How to sum it up? You know how people often say JJBA2012 was like a motion comic? That is more animated than Star Jewel Gaiden.
Yeah that was quite disappointing even when I knew of that fact in advance.

But if it's just stills, I might as well just read it. It looks more like "hey, we're really strapped for cash here!"
Actually this is where I will mention that Crunchyroll recently started offering motion manga on their site on that note. I don't think anyone posted it here yet.

Every time someone says something bad about Xenoglossia, a Penguin loses it's wings. Why do you guys hate Penguins?
I kinda wanted to watch Xenoglosia, then I looked at screenshots and they kinda put me off. I think I will wait a while.

Nevermind.
kininarimasu

Strike the Blood Episode 20 – Return of the Alchemist I
BhpU1gyCIAAtJla.png

Favorite VA voicing best dressed character. Red Checkers was hilarious and alchemy is an ability that needs to be in more LN based series.

Asagi was kind of dumb in this episode why would she stay there after Kujou was begging her to leave and such.

Log Horizon 22
Fun to see a RomCom episode. I think my favorite part was he told the West Wind Brigade about the buffet. I'm rooting for Akatsuki

SDBurton

World's #1 Cosmonaut Enthusiast
What happened to the Futabu review?

I think duckroll said something in the irc, and SDBurton thinks he was referring to his post, so he deleted it.

I didn't see a confirmation about the comment being related in my post (sorry if I missed it Duckroll!) so in that case.... reposting for now.

==============================

Futabu - 01

Never in my life would I imagine that we would get an OVA adaptation of Futabu. Upon hearing and seeing the news for myself only a few days ago I literally had to do a number of double takes to make sure I wasn't going crazy. Reason I say this as it's already a pain in the ass to come across pure yuri works (thank you based god for Sono Hana), so to get one that not only does that but goes the extra mile by adding futa is truly something else. Like, what was the last relevant (and by relevant I literally mean decent) OVAs that did this? Off the top of my head Star Jewel (which everyone should watch) would be the first that comes to mind (STARLESS had dudes, as did Space Pirate Sara, Bible Black, etc) Anyways, with its arrival earlier this week I couldn't wait till today to finally check it out.

And hooooly shit. As previously mentioned by KirbYayoi, it's one thing to see in manga (as they tend to be exaggerated), but to see
how huge some of these d***** are animated is ridiculous
. Like, you could take one of theirs and use it has a bludgeoning weapon for murder, not to mention some of them have the length that would allow them to use it as a kickstand. The only thing more impressive than that is how they were able to hide it. It's as if they took a page out of Hermione Granger's book and had a bottomless hole in their undergarments. Dat technology (or magic?).

VA's were great and the animation was solid. My major gripe with this (as previously mentioned) was the fact that they wasted 8 fucking minutes on introduction stills featuring character bios. Whhhhhy oh whhhhyyy would you do such a thing? They should've just cut that part out and deliver a 15 min episode.

Midonin

No-Rin 08

Becky, Becky, a discussion about boobs, and more Becky. Chiwa Saito's vocal talents have regularly been put to good use, and this was basically a showcase for her to act as lewd as the material got. Pretty much all the jokes landed, including Ringo's increasingly violent use of kitchen utensils.

Defuser

Log Horizon ep 22

ZmNOpN7.gif

Well that was a pleasant surpise. I though it would turn into a catfight between these 2 girls for Shiroe but it didn't despite force feeding Shiroe. It's to nice to see Minori realizing her feelings and acknowledging she didn't do anything at all.

PmfKAI1l.jpg

Akatsuki in kimono hnng.

Nafe

Samurai Flamenco

Episode 18

I've been watching this show as well but just not really commenting on it as I'd pretty much just be echoing everyone else really in terms of comments.

Haha, this show is so bonkers but at the same time weirdly cohesive in where it has gone. Pretty entertaining stuff in how crazy it is. The English in this episode was pretty funny. I guess I will be like everyone else though in that this episode at least seemed like it could of been a finisher but there's still four left. Where will it goes from here?

Defuser

No-rin ep 8
Oh my god becky why?! oh god I need to take a shower to wash off this 40 year old hag off me.

But Saito Chiwa is fucking excellent is voicing Becky.

Link Man

Banned
Usagi Drop 6

Well, if I ever do go down the path of a father, that's one more tradition to add to the list. Why is this show so cute?

BGBW

Maturity, bitches.
Futabu... Futabu... hmmm... where have I heard that name before....

One quick Google search later...

Ah.... Futabu!

foxuzamaki

Doesn't read OPs, especially not his own
I didn't see a confirmation about the comment being related in my post (sorry if I missed it Duckroll!) so in that case.... reposting for now.

==============================

Futabu - 01

Never in my life would I imagine that we would get an OVA adaptation of Futabu. Upon hearing and seeing the news for myself only a few days ago I literally had to do a number of double takes to make sure I wasn't going crazy. Reason I say this as it's already a pain in the ass to come across pure yuri works (thank you based god for Sono Hana), so to get one that not only does that but goes the extra mile by adding futa is truly something else. Like, what was the last relevant (and by relevant I literally mean decent) OVAs that did this? Off the top of my head Star Jewel (which everyone should watch) would be the first that comes to mind (STARLESS had dudes, as did Space Pirate Sara, Bible Black, etc) Anyways, with its arrival earlier this week I couldn't wait till today to finally check it out.

And hooooly shit. As previously mentioned by KirbYayoi, it's one thing to see in manga (as they tend to be exaggerated), but to see
how huge some of these d***** are animated is ridiculous
. Like, you could take one of theirs and use it has a bludgeoning weapon for murder, not to mention some of them have the length that would allow them to use it as a kickstand. The only thing more impressive than that is how they were able to hide it. It's as if they took a page out of Hermione Granger's book and had a bottomless hole in their undergarments. Dat technology (or magic?).

VA's were great and the animation was solid. My major gripe with this (as previously mentioned) was the fact that they wasted 8 fucking minutes on introduction stills featuring character bios. Whhhhhy oh whhhhyyy would you do such a thing? They should've just cut that part out and deliver a 15 min episode.

This impression is great, simply because of the subject matter

Kaze Tachinu
What's a better way than to start the movie with some technical problems?
2zOcjel.jpg
Okay, just three minutes. Let's try again...
WcBzTXY.jpg

I couldn't believe they just had ended a session and couldn't start the next one smoothly. The screen froze, then the mouse started to appear on the screen then windows media player... restart, restart, try again, people taking pictures, restart, restart, try again, then when it finally worked the whole theater started clapping.

Apart from the rough beginning everything went smoothly until Hideaki Anno. The moment Jiro opened his mouth and his voice came out, instantly you can notice that it was not a professional voice actor, he sounded like voice overs of science programs here in Brazil, where they sound like they are just explaining things without care if it's in sync on what is on screen, like firehawk12 has said the perfect anti-anime seiyuu.
It's definitely jarring the first time you hear it, it looks like he's giving an interview, but in the end you get accustomed at least I did.

The best part was that I was able to bring my older brother and my mom to watch it together.

I liked the story, I went to watch it without knowing anything at all and was satisfied with was show. Even if the war is taught in schools here they are more like what the movie did, they are something that happened(and obviously school goes deeper than the movie goes), in the case of the movie, will still happen and the movie just show some imagery and they are not really worried about forming an opinion about the war or to show the great Japan and its glourious role in the war.

In the opening sequence my brother(I think he only watched Spirited Away and Howl's Moving Castle) said to me
"Haha. What da heck is that? A Helicopter?" and I said that was most likely a dream. Then Jiro meeting with Caproni in the dream world was really nice, and sharing the dream of making airplanes.
The Great Kanto Earthquake was sakuga as fuck. And boy there was sakuga, the planes, ah the planes. So beautiful to see them flying. I don't think I can watch Pilot Love Song after this.

I really have to give props for how his love life was handed, it was really subdue and beautiful.
How Naoko gave strength to Jiro keep going on and he did the same to her, and the time spent between the two of then. I knew his sister(Nii-nii) would be back when they said Naoko had tuberculosis.
I legit liked the German dude. It was something in his eyes.

The music was beautiful, made me remember some of the covers these guys did with Chrono Trigger. And I'm in love with Hikouki Gumo.

The problem with availability is really sad, I checked the entire week to just find someplace "nearby" to watch it at friday's afternoon, the release day I checked in the moorning before work and it still had nothing. But I'm glad I took the trip to watch it, and if you have the chance do it too.

Now I'm sad because I know Wolf Children will never come to Brazil, and I would love to bring my mother to watch it like I did with Vidas ao Vento.

Tokyo Ravens Episode 20

Bakatora truly living up to his new Epictora name.
That Raves coat on him made him look incredible. If he gets his staff with it too while wearing it. Ill miss his star on his cheek :(

I wonder if the writer is truly going to stay on the Natsume is dead route. In a world of magic, it seems possible that she may live

cnet128

Banned
Heartcatch Precure! 17

Cure Moonlight, why you so OP.
Even without transforming and with only a fragment of her Precure Seed, she can still summon big-ass shields and turn the tide of battle.

I feel like the best way for the Cures to convince her to properly acknowledge them would be to, y'know,
go and get the other half of her broken Seed back
. But I guess that's easier said than done, since their encounters with the Dark Precure so far haven't exactly ended well ~.~

Nafe

Happiness Charge Pretty Cure

I like this show was well! I've been watching it week to week but haven't commented on it yet. Personally I really like the designs. They kind of remind me of maybe something like Heartcatch meets Smile. I know some aren't as fond of the whole idol culture but even before the show aired I liked the girls outfits.

Megumi reminds me a lot of Miyuki from Smile in how happy she is. Hime on the outside seems a lot like Tsubomi from Heartcatch but once she opens up she seems more like Erika. The interest in fashion is another big similarity obviously. I'm liking the little appearances of Yuko. It seems she'll be another awesome Yellow Cure. That little bit in her bio where it was mentioned she is slightly overweight or something is pretty dumb though. Fortune so far seems kind of like Cure Moonlight. Seiji is a good character as well, even taking out some minions. Will he beat Ban-kun as best boy in PreCure?

As far as shows I've seen I think this is the first female main villain. We get an ojou-sama as well! Ho ho ho. Even though as far as character he maybe hasn't progressed much, I still like the first guy.

The transformations I think are nice. I like how the girls boots are kind of like liquid energy and they just walk into them. Their little multi-coloured braclets they use for attacks and such reminds me of the multi-coloured disk things the girls in Doremi have. I haven't seen the show yet so I'm going off of what I've seen in pictures.

When Megumi is talking to the guy running the food stand and asks him how many 10 000 yen it would be reminded me of somewhere else where I'd seen that. I then recalled that Nami Nami would barter play with people like that when she's introduced in the Mother's Day episode of Heartcatch. Maybe that's just one of the callbacks or that kind of thing happens more than I can recall.

Anyway, like with all PreCure I just like to have some fun. If others want to analyze things more that's fine but I just like to sit back and have my happiness charged,haha.

With that though, I wonder what Blue is planning by
playing both sides?

Theonik

Ouran High School Host Club 01
This is the second time I watch this episode so I don't have that much to say, I will say though that Funimation's subs suck nuts and are almost as bad as their dubbing was.
This episode was still good regardless.

Futabu!
Ah yes the Bosshi classic we've all been waiting for. Jesus Christ I was not ready for the club president to be animated.

Envelope

sealed with a kiss
Strike witches ep1

Despite all the hometown being thrown in my face this was a pretty... boring episode over all, the protagonist's pacifism really makes no sense in the context of
an alien invasion that's trying to wipe out the earth, i really hope they don't try to pull the "we just don't understand them!" schtick later on to try to give some kind of moral backing to her stance.
The VA for eyepatch girl is really bad.... there really are just too many areas of this show that are only there to appeal to otaku fetishes like the random tails and ears, the inability of any females to wear pants
the first person who says "but Envelaap they're not panties so it's ok!" will be murdered in their sleep
, sunbathing while on duty... not only is that in and of itself unappealing, the contrast it creates with the "darker" side of the show, finding out who killed her dad etc, really does the show no favors at all. Dissonance can be used to good effect if it's intentionally used to contrast differing ideals or actions and beliefs, but as far as i can tell all the thought that went into this show is "girls in panties are hot lol"

Theonik

Strike witches ep1

Despite all the hometown being thrown in my face this was a pretty... boring episode over all, the protagonist's pacifism really makes no sense in the context of
an alien invasion that's trying to wipe out the earth, i really hope they don't try to pull the "we just don't understand them!" schtick later on to try to give some kind of moral backing to her stance.
The VA for eyepatch girl is really bad.... there really are just too many areas of this show that are only there to appeal to otaku fetishes like the random tails and ears, the inability of any females to wear pants
the first person who says "but Envelaap they're not panties so it's ok!" will be murdered in their sleep
, sunbathing while on duty... not only is that in and of itself unappealing, the contrast it creates with the "darker" side of the show, finding out who killed her dad etc, really does the show no favors at all.
Pantsu Janai Kara Hazukashiku Nai Mon!

Also don't worry, the dark stuff get mostly dropped, and the focus shifts to the silliness. now whether that ends up being your cup of tea is another question.

CorvoSol

lol. how cruel. he has teaching staff to interact with too at the least!

Like he even can. Ryouga walks out of his classroom and is immediately, and literally, knee-deep in 1st graders wanting his autograph. Can't interact with the rest of the staff when the whole student body is forming a living barricade.

LOL

Samurai Flamenco

Episode 18

I've been watching this show as well but just not really commenting on it as I'd pretty much just be echoing everyone else really in terms of comments.

Haha, this show is so bonkers but at the same time weirdly cohesive in where it has gone. Pretty entertaining stuff in how crazy it is. The English in this episode was pretty funny. I guess I will be like everyone else though in that this episode at least seemed like it could of been a finisher but there's still four left. Where will it goes from here?

The fact that the show can remain coherent in spite of all signs in your brain trying to say "NO IT ISN'T" is Samumenco's best part.

cnet128

Banned
Happiness Charge Pretty Cure

Seiji is a good character as well, even taking out some minions. Will he beat Ban-kun as best boy in PreCure?

Did somebody say...Ban-kun?!

Heartcatch Precure! 18

Ban-kun is a pretty cool guy. He draws in-universe Heartcatch doujins
and uses Kumojaki as a brush XD
and doesn't afraid of anything. Except his mother, he's kind of afraid of her. Which is silly because she's totally cool too.

I approve of Ban-kun's manga ending where Blossom and Marine choose each other over boys. Now he just needs to write a follow-up that goes full-on yuri. And then Tsubomi and Erika can read it and blush a lot. And then also go full-on yuri.

It's a flawless plan.

duckroll

Noragami - OAD1

Looooooooooooool.

/dead

/totally dead

That was pretty good for a totally wacky random side story. It just kept going and going and going. It doesn't hurt that this show has some pretty amazing silly faces too. Really funny stuff. I'll never get sick of seeing Kofuku's >_< face. Especially when she gets knocked on the head. Lolololol.

Nafe

Space Dandy

I've been watching this show as well but haven't posted any input on it yet. I guess I should also mention that I'm watching the Japanese version since I don't have access to Toonami.

Starting from Episode 8 that aired last week I'd say that I agree that it had some good ideas but things seemed a bit of a mess and kind of all over as well. Personally I liked the first part better. Shows can definitely do the serious mixed with humour story but this one was a bit hit and miss. Keiko Han went from voicing a space cat named Luna to now providing the voice for a space dog named Laika,haha.

Episode 7 was one of the best for me. F-Zero is one of my favorite racing games ever and it reminded me of that. I really just like the more wacky, over the top races in general anyway. I think my only real complaint was that it didn't seem as crazy as I thought it could be. The ending was also something else,haha.

Episode 6 was okay. It felt almost more juvenile in its humour or just wasn't for me personally. It still had some entertaining enough parts to it though.

Episode 5 was a favorite of mine up there with episode 7, maybe even my favorite episode so far. It's true that they had to montage things a bit and such which felt like it kind of cheated to some but they really only had about twenty minutes to introduce this character and make you care for her and her struggles and Dandy's feelings about everything as well. It worked for me anyway so it's a personal favorite.

Episode 4 seems really popular with most people but I didn't enjoy it as much. I still liked it overall but definitely not to the degree that most seemed to, so I'm in the minority on this one. I'm also not really that big into zombies anyway. More indifferent to them I guess. This is another where I liked the first half better and it still had some funny or entertaining parts like I mentioned such as what happens with QT.

I liked Episode 3 overall and for the first two episodes I think I'd have to agree with what seems the majority opinion in that the second half was better for the more interesting story segments or because of the sakuga segments.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom