• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Winter 2014 Anime |OT2| Waiting for Sakamoto

Status
Not open for further replies.

cnet128

Banned
Nobunagun 11

Operation Stone Forest is just so goddamn hype in general, I love it. It's always amazing to see Shio in her element, and she is so in her element here in all kinds of ways. Hell, if she's not careful she's going to wind up almost single-handedly responsible for annihilating the entire alien menace, and then we won't have a show.

...The gratuitous lewd tentacles at the end of the episode were just the cherry on top XD

survivor

Banned
Clannad After Story 6

So the ugly character animations are back this episode, which is a shame since last episode I was really impressed by the quality of production. There were also some really neat backgrounds here, really nice how KyoAni is adding more life to the anime.

As for the story, what?
Misae's flashback dream thing really felt detached from the story and honestly I was taken by a surprise by the supernatural elements of the dead kid, Shima. I mean I know after Fuko, this is probably expected, but I still don't know what to make of what happened or what's the deal with Shima at all or who is his master, the person in the wheelchair.

cajunator

Banned
From the New World 12

This show now makes so much more sense. Glad the studio realized that their show was all over the place and made this episode. Now the show is a lot more compelling. And now with what is going on at the end there it's gonna be exciting to see what happens next.

Just a bit of yuri and everything is now clearer. SDBurton was right.

FelixOrion

Poet Centuriate
Been doing a fuckton of traveling the past week (so many professors and graduate schools, so little time), so while on my flights I've been churning through my Mushi-shi DVDs and decided to Marathon the last bit of the show.

Mushi-shi 15

That sister totally had a thing for Ginko. But our main man Ginko can't stay.
I know there aren't reoccurring characters asides from Ginko's doctor friend, but I'd like to see her and her little brother return, somehow.

Mushi-shi 16

Damn...these feels are too much, man...Messing with
memories
in a story always gets to me. Kinda odd
that Ginko, our intrepid Doctor Who-like master of the unknown, couldn't find a cure and barely did anything to ease the suffering.

Mushi-shi 17

Was hoping for a better happy ending than that...but I know better than to expect that of this show. Pretty damn bittersweet.

Mushi-shi 18

A Mushi that causes
homesickness?
Perfect for this show. Not much for Ginko to do here though. Episode spent so much time in the past the Ginko barely did anything.

Mushi-shi 19

Damn those feels son. Amazing story of loss, acceptance, and a long-distance love
, even when your love is right there all along

Mushi-shi 20

Okay, this girl totally has a thing for Ginko, and I think Ginko has a reason to return the interest too. Congrats Ginko, I think you've met your wife. Other than that, some crazy awesome animation on this. Everything animation and design wise in this show is so subtle and slow-moving that sharp, sudden animation is like a mountain peaking over the fuzzy clouds.

Mushi-shi 21

Yo...this shit was creepy as hell. Good to see the creepy Mushi-shi come back after so many simply bittersweet episodes.

Mushi-shi 22

This episodes was really cool. As I've said before this whole show gives off a Doctor Who vibe to me, but this episode in particular really did. It really had an awesome mystery leading into a philosophical conundrum in a way that all the great SciFi/Science Fantasy shows like Star Trek and Doctor Who do.

Mushi-shi 23

A lot more straight-forward in its message than most Mushi-shi episodes, but still pretty damn good. Almost had a Romeo & Juliet quality to it.

Mushi-shi 24

Eh, pretty simple episode. Cool to see Ginko actively collaborating with a fellow Mushi master.

Mushi-shi 25

Crazy episode, but it raises so many questions.
A future absolutely can't be changed? If I'm gonna die in a stream in Japan in a month, why the fuck wouldn't I hide myself away in Arizona or something? I think the future could be changed, they just didn't fucking try hard enough.

Mushi-shi 26 END

Cool to see more of Ginko's history and origins, but it's really lame that this is last episode and he only shows up in passing a few times. Still a very nostalgic, peaceful episode is a good way to send of such an ephemeral show.

Mushi-shi OVERALL

(There are some little extras on the Complete Collection DVD that'll probably watch later.)

Man, Mushi-shi, what to say...creepy, heartwarming, human, ephemeral, peaceful? I guess those are all fitting descriptions to this show, but I don't think either alone, or even combined, can really describe it. It's really quite an amazing work. The music and animation are absolutely phenomenal. The stories, while initally maybe a little difficult to wrap one's head around the idea that there's no real long running story, are incredible, though, it's funny how I just couldn't shake the notion of this being an anime Dr. Who out of my head no mater what I tried.

Anyways, if I had to sum this show up it'd be like this: Mushi-shi is a slow, lazy ride down a sun-drenched stream in a dense forest. There are some dark caves along the way, but there's a bright pond waiting for you at the end. So kick back and let the River of Light carry you away.

8/10

Clannad After Story 6

As for the story, what?
Misae's flashback dream thing really felt detached from the story and honestly I was taken by a surprise by the supernatural elements of the dead kid, Shima. I mean I know after Fuko, this is probably expected, but I still don't know what to make of what happened or what's the deal with Shima at all or who is his master, the person in the wheelchair.

The person in the wheelchair is the real Shima. The other person who thought he was Shima is Shima's cat in human form as far as I understood it. And it's the same cat as is now living with Misae of course.

FelixOrion

Poet Centuriate
MOTHER OF GOD
OR KON
K4Pny1g.gif

1350722774309.jpg

Toradora 5

minoriscaryhs0.jpg

We now have the 5th and final character in the main cast.
When did Ryuji get a key to Taiga's apartment?

"There was a mosquito on your face."
I laughed so hard at that. Ami is kind of a "wench" but I feel that even that's a mask of some sort and we will get to understand her a little better in the next episode. Red head chick (I am gonna have to learn her name at some point) is absolutely hilarious in this episode. I think I laughed more in this episode then any previous episode. So many good moments. I need a GIF for that moment in class when the red head chick looks like she
approves of people who call themselves airheads only to make a big dramatic statement

Edit.... Never mind. I found it. :D

minorilol2ft0.gif

Noragami 11
Seems like this is leading to a rather fitting end for the series. A little bit surprising to be anime original for this arc

After watching the Soul Eater finale again on Toonami last night it's nice to come to Noragami where an original, made for TV Bones ending doesn't completely and retroactively make everything about the show worse. Here's hoping it follows through and is able to end on a high note.

survivor

Banned
Clannad After Story 6
The person in the wheelchair is the real Shima. The other person who thought he was Shima is Shima's cat in human form as far as I understood it. And it's the same cat as is now living with Misae of course.

Oh, that was the real Shima? Interesting. I wonder if this wish thing meant anything. The whole thing about light made me think of the whole robot thing.

Clannad After Story 7

Not a bad episode, but I'm not that interested in what's going on. Can't say I relate to any of the characters problems.

cnet128

Banned
Space Dandy 11

I thought I just made a world-changing discovery that paper is capable of blushing, but I can't remember where. Did I just watch a Space Dandy episode? Why am I writing this post again? What is anime?

I still insist Clannad AS would've been better without the fantastical element of the show. If they had kept it grounded on reality
with a not so tragic ending
it would have been better imho. It still is amazing, just had lost potential.

Noragmi Episode 11: Abandoned God
tumblr_n2jxqrCI7d1qbxqfpo1_500.png
tumblr_n2jxqrCI7d1qbxqfpo2_500.png

What a powerful evening for Yukine. I initially thought I would dislike the arc since it seemed like a been there done that type of thing but somehow I find myself still caring for Yukine's well being that Im just wholly absorbed in the arc and see how things play out.

Hoping it gets all flashy for an explosive finale.

Animal Crossing The Movie

A decent movie that captures the whole slice of life-ness of the games expect there's actually an ending to the movie. :p

Oh and suddenly UFOs.

cnet128

Banned
Noragami 11

If this is filler, it's some pretty damn good filler. Some really nice action this episode, too. Looking forward to what is sure to be a satisfying finale next week. And then hopefully a second season someday!

FelixOrion

Poet Centuriate
I'm partial to this one:

ibsKvW4cBuZTLR.gif

Always gets a laugh out of me!

This would make a perfect BANNED gif.

anotheronebitestheban5ujrf.gif

(I just edited this for you guys.)

You guys make me want to watch Another so badly lol. It's gone higher into my queue now. Might be the next show I marathon

What the fuck? What's Another about anyway? Seems very... Higurashi like....

It's basically Final Destination: The Anime, and also the greatest anime about pies ever.

Someone post the Thor one.

Okay!

1337098187225.gif

BGBW

Maturity, bitches.
It's funny because the first episode tried to be really spooky by ticking every possible horror movie cliche possible and then they thought fuck it and went CRAZY with it.

Imagine Final Destination but with worse writing.
I donno. I saw that car crash scene from on of the later FDs and it was literally the most idiotic bit of film I've ever seen. Apparently American cars don't have brakes.

Branduil

It's funny because the first episode tried to be really spooky by ticking every possible horror movie cliche possible and then they thought fuck it and went CRAZY with it.

I donno. I saw that car crash scene from on of the later FDs and it was literally the most idiotic bit of film I've ever seen. Apparently American cars don't have brakes.

Yep, didn't even think it was possible.

The final twist is David Cage-tier.

This sounds similar to Samurai Flamenco.

Writer 1: We should do a grounded show. I feel that'd be the best way to convey our intention. What are you doing?

Writer 2: *snorts cocaine* did you say something?

Writer 1: *snorts cocaine* I have no idea. But here me out on the idea the show should take...

survivor

Banned
Clannad After Story 8
Well the beginning of this arc was pretty average, but at least they managed to conclude it in a good way. First real attempt of bringing in some rain in the second season. Also the visuals stepped up in quality again after the horrendous previous episode. Lots of nice fighting animations as well.

You guys make me want to watch Another so badly lol. It's gone higher into my queue now. Might be the next show I marathon

Go for it. I legitimately liked it and thought some of it was pretty effective and atmospheric, but a lot of people here just see it as a comedy.

Not gonna like though, the memes that came from it are hilarious.

Go for it. I legitimately liked it and thought some of it was pretty effective and atmospheric, but a lot of people here just see it as a comedy.

I'm not as cynical when it comes to anime as others. But there was one anime recently that was trying so hard to be grim-dark I laughed out loud. It had a yandere and everything. God I can't remember its name, but it was some code-sounding one.

My point is if the show is at least attempting to keep me interested with its plot I'll watch it. If it's just comedic death after comedic death with a really cheesy plot, then I'll probably laugh my whole way through.

FelixOrion

Poet Centuriate

Oh the best part for me was the atmosphere. The sound design is absolutely stellar.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom