• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Winter 2014 Anime |OT2| Waiting for Sakamoto

Status
Not open for further replies.
The further I go into SKET Dance the more I realize Bossun is the anti-shonen protagonist. Which is largely where the comedy comes from I guess. Seeing how his skills would be better in everything BUT a shonen jump series haha.

At least he makes those great faces

pMhm0w4.png

nJugYhN.jpg

Hitokage

Setec Astronomer
Also yeah, Doremi really goes above and beyond it's demographic. It's quite astonishing how quickly it can switch from lighthearted comedy to gripping drama. I haven't seen a show quite like it.
Sailor Moon had its own way of stretching demo limits and also was adept at tone shifting. Of course, it shared directors so it's not utterly surprising, but Doremi is pretty much a new style backport to the old fashioned magical girl mold.

The further I go into SKET Dance the more I realize Bossun is the anti-shonen protagonist. Which is largely where the comedy comes from I guess. Seeing how his skills would be better in everything BUT a shonen jump series haha.

At least he makes those great faces

Bossun and co are hilarious, especially with his voice too. More should check it out. It was the first series that made me quickly run through all the episodes in a weekend or so on CR and subscribe to it even,.

Space Dandy 4

Boring and slightly depressing. Show dropped.

I could understand the boring part but depressing? This is the episode where they are zombies
and achieve universal peace
. It's a tad morbid but hardly what I would call depressing. It's a very silly episode

Witchcraft Works - 05
Witch%20Craft%20Works%20-%2005.jpg

Hey but if the writter wants it ....
Anime is stiill working properly despite the cg.
i'm surprised , With ep 4 & 5 it's been 2 episodes where the Cg wasn't that bad and they are still following the manga plot properly.

Still average ( and cute ) by moments , the voice work is certainly one of the reasons to keep going.

Articalys

I'm among the seemingly few people who didn't think Space Dandy ep.4 was the greatest thing ever and simply found it okay.

I kind of wonder how the episode would have been received differently had they
started out with the crew as zombies with no context, then when they go to consult with the captured zombie alien, do all the hospital stuff as an explanation/flashback, then pick back up in the present with the yogurt joke and go from there

At any rate, I've come to terms with the show as a whole being different from what even I was expecting (i.e. practically zero continuity vs. minimal continuity). At this point if they even do try to do a multi-episode story later it's going to feel out of place.

Bossun and co are hilarious, especially with his voice too. More should check it out. It was the first series that made me quickly run through all the episodes in a weekend or so on CR and subscribe to it even,.

I would highly recommend it to Gintama fans who are looking for more after finishing the show. Heck even those looking for a new high school show, though the show as of right now just happens to take place in high school it doesn't really do much with class comedy (like with D-Frag and a western example of the film Brick So far a great cast of characters, comedy has been dead-set with what they're aiming, and the dynamic of the three leads is amazing. It doesn't hurt that one of the main characters is voiced by Gintoki so the transition isn't that bad either. I mean they're so alike they even have episodes in their respective shows where the characters appear (cross-over). I remember seeing these guys in the Gintama opening.

TKxfVCi.gif

Qj26b3G.gif

Y2hDvqo.png

It might sound superficial as well but now that I'm watching HD anime, it also has the advantage of being relatively modern so it's in widescreen HD and with pretty bright/cool animations that make it pretty to watch in a big screen. Gintama, while the better show of the two by far, didn't really make the transition into widescreen until the late 100 episodes, and the animation early on is pretty simplistic. So in terms of visual eye candy this is better too. But Gintama wins in cast of characters hands down.

cnet128

Banned
Inari, Konkon, Koi Iroha 4

oh my god so much adorableness between Inari and Tanbabashi, I'm not surprised Inari thought she might die, I thought I was about to faint from joy just watching them.

Also…

…suddenly :sdburton out of nowhere?!

Midonin

I have watched all of Sket Dance, though that was mostly because it was directed by Keiichiro Kawaguchi, whose works I generally like. Fun show. My favorite characters are Mimori and Roman, but like any good ensemble comedy, it depends on the whole cast working in sync.

I'm among the seemingly few people who didn't think Space Dandy ep.4 was the greatest thing ever and simply found it okay.

At any rate, I've come to terms with the show as a whole being different from what even I was expecting (i.e. practically zero continuity vs. minimal continuity). At this point if they even do try to do a multi-episode story later it's going to feel out of place.

I think most people were just excited that Space Dandy was more than visual eye candy for once and that the comedy didn't fall flat for the most part. Episode 1 was a strong opening for a visual eye candy show, then the other two were ok at best in laughs but also were basically 'ridiculous the anime', then we got this episode that brought forth a genuinely funny episode.

I was personally expecting something closer to Cowboy Bebop in terms of episodic nature, but I was dead wrong. And while disappointed it isn't the end of the world. Cowboy Bebop had plenty of overarching plots for each character so it was easy to see what was tying all of them together, even if episodic in nature. This show seems to have one major plot point of SD being the key to the war and basically using this as a plot point in every episode, a very minor one at that though as the episodes focus largely on what's going on and how crazy they are. As far as I can tell most people seem to want more of episode 5 though, which isn't likely but damn would I want that.

Nah, I've got other anime to watch.

If you're not enjoying the show for what it currently is, episode 5 is a complete departure as it's not about comedy, but about Dandy bonding with a little moe alien girl as they go on a roadtrip. The most Watanabe-styled episode by far but chances are these won't be common so if you really dislike the show that much it's better you move on.

BluWacky

I think this is, as usual, internet hyperbole in effect. "Better than the previous episodes and mostly enjoyable" isn't the same thing as "greatest thing ever".

I kind of wonder how the episode would have been received differently had they
started out with the crew as zombies with no context, then when they go to consult with the captured zombie alien, do all the hospital stuff as an explanation/flashback, then pick back up in the present with the yogurt joke and go from there

I don't know whether that would have made it much funnier. I think the unpredictability of the second half is what makes it more entertaining, given that they wrap up the whole of a normal
zombie
storyline in the first part.

I presume the show intends to do something with the Gogol Empire - then again, maybe the joke will be that Dandy remains completely unaware of them (and their apparent reasons for chasing him) for the entire series.

Tokyo Ravens - 17

This was good episode.

But i must say that this whole mess was because the scar guy brounght crazy maniac shikigami and told him to wait ...

Where was he all this time ?

The episode was good and the pay off was great , i'm just disapointed by the premise.
but i like the potential this reveal has , including the end of this whole mess with identities.

cajunator

Banned
I don't post my scores here because fuck all of you Psycho-Pass was good I don't care what you say.

That's a valid reason, debaters have used it world wide. Politicians use it on a daily basis.

Its a perfectly good scoring system. Very personalized.

Keiichi Honda posted this illustration on twitter, figured some might like it: https://twitter.com/KeiichiHonda/status/431106950458523651

Sometimes these drawings are better than actual official illustrations.
Certainly more inrteresting.

Forget it, I'm not even going to be able to finish Monogatari at this rate. So many of you are so utterly terrible at spoiler marking and screenshots that I already had two major twists from late in the series spoiled for me.

There's no fun or enjoyment left for me to keep reading this thread anymore. A majority of the topics and posters now are things and people I dislike, so there's no reason to stick around. I was told to just try to relax and have fun but the way things are now that's going to be impossible for me. Sorry. Well, I'm sure a number of you would rather see me go anyway.

I would hate to see you leave Arti. youve stuck around through al ot of shit and I have appreciated your contributions.

Usagi Drop 02

This is too adorable holy shit.

It gets cuter. soooo much cuter.
Your heart could explode at any moment but it would be a good way to go.

You know I don't think it's been discussed much besides the episode review, but is there anyone here who would rather Space Dandy go the traditional Watanabe route (episode 5) over the batshit crazy style so far?

I guess this is more of a preference of narrative cohesion vs liberty for the episode's director to bring his/her own style. Personally I would prefer the traditional Watanabe style as he has already departed from his two crazy greats (Cowboy Bebop and Samurai Champloo) when he worked on Kids on the Slope. Which was fantastic on its own right, but not what I wanted. With a return to something freaky like this I was hoping he'd bring this style.

Gazoinks

You know I don't think it's been discussed much besides the episode review, but is there anyone here who would rather Space Dandy go the traditional Watanabe route (episode 5) over the batshit crazy style so far?

I guess this is more of a preference of narrative cohesion vs liberty for the episode's director to bring his/her own style. Personally I would prefer the traditional Watanabe style as he has already departed from his two crazy greats (Cowboy Bebop and Samurai Champloo) when he worked on Kids on the Slope. Which was fantastic on its own right, but not what I wanted. With a return to something freaky like this I was hoping he'd bring this style.

Not really. I really like the idea of Space Dandy being a bizarro showcase for a different creative team each episode. My problems so far are more with the material than the format.

cnet128

Banned
Mikakunin de Shinkoukei 5

Can I just say that I love this show's ED more than life itself. Just needed to get that out there.

As for the actual episode... Benio, I am very disappointed in you. After all the legitimately wonderful underwear in the catalogue you were browsing, that was the set you decided to buy? It doesn't enhance Mashiro's cuteness at all! I've half a mind to revoke your loli-lover's licence!

...But I suppose you did get her to dress up in that adorable cat outfit, so I'll let it slide this time. Even then, though, if you were going to buy her pyjamas, you could have chosen better! Novelty animal suits may have a certain amount of novelty cuteness value, but more conventional pyjamas are always more flattering in the long run! I thought you would understand this as a fellow connoisseur! Why, Benio?! Why must you betray the faith I placed in you?!

Oh, also the family secret is out or whatever.

Jarmel

Banned

Not really. It's fine as it is.

Theonik

We just want the show to be funny/interesting. It fails miserably at the former so that leaves latter which they managed on episode 5.

Maken Ki 2 5
So many references to other animes, I think I saw Strike Witches, Upotte, Fate/Night, Mondaiji, Is This a Zombie?, and a few more.
RN7.png

There was even an adorable little girl cosplaying as Illya from the recent Fate/Kaleid

GaoGaiGar - 5

2JhDL3Z.png

A shiny Koffing?!? Damn that's one lucky kid.

Now we've got Autobot Fire Truck and Autobot Crane thrown into the mix. Nice.

Despite this show being monster of the week, I feel like I can take this seriously because the government is actually part of the monster fighting force IIRC. Unlike in Precure where the city attacked by a giant gumball machine and the government completely ignores it.

I...I'm really enjoying this show so far. Maybe it's because I'm feeling nostalgic by it? Perhaps I've watched so many big anime stories this show just feels like something new to me by comparison haha.

AND FFS VILLAINS. STOP FLICKERING YOUR DAMN LIGHTS DURING YOUR MEETINGS. That's not going to stop is it?

cajunator

Banned
Got Kino's Journey in from Amazon yesterday and watched the first two episodes. I really like it, but holy crap does it have an awful DVD transfer. Hopefully there's someone willing to do a rescue/rerelease and at least clean it up some.

It is a quite old transfer, but are you referring to lines across the screen, because thats a filter thats supposed to be there.

Given that they seem to dance every week, it's probably easier to do in CG... especially if it's all game assets anyway!

---

Inari 4
QDjyJc2l.jpg

Fucking SDBurton, I blame you for this!

Hnnnng

What the heck is this?

WHAAAAAAAAAAT?!
You can go sit at the second tier elitists table.

Blocking every single image from the thread for the sake of one series is overkill and something I shouldn't have to do.

I'm sorry everyone, I'm just massively pissed off at myself, my life, situation, decisions, and future, and the fact that this thread is 99% of my social existence, which is why I keep crawling back despite everything all the time. Every little thing has the potential to push me over the edge. At the very least I'm still sane enough to keep my health... though I'm not sure if some of you wish otherwise.

We really dont wanna see you go Arti. Also I think this thread is probably a huge part of my current life too because Im here ALL the time. Even at work. Its kinda obsessive.

It seems like every time I come into this thread these days, there's some post telling me to stop watching anime.

I certainly dont see it. Theres always backlogs, favorite shows to rewatch, some studios with talent will always be around making great things. Anime is always going to offer something very good.

Articalys

I would hate to see you leave Arti. youve stuck around through a lot of shit and I have appreciated your contributions.
I wasn't under the impression that I contributed anything to this thread besides being a psychopathic maniac, but okay.

Still working on my review of all the OP/ED for the season, by the way.

I wasn't under the impression that I contributed anything to this thread besides being a psychopathic maniac, but okay.

I've always seen you as AnimeGAF's "go-to" guy for anime news. I don't know, back in spring and summer 2013 I've always seen you posting anime news announcements when barely anyone else did.

Watanabe is only chief director for Space Dandy; he's leaving a lot of freedom up to the individual episode directors. If you want more of Watanabe's individual directing style, you'll need to wait for his show at MAPPA planned for later this year.

Even episode 5 is not "Watanabe style" as much as it's Akemi Hayashi's style.

Lafiel

と呼ぶがよい
Not really. I really like the idea of Space Dandy being a bizarro showcase for a different creative team each episode. My problems so far are more with the material than the format.
Bingo - better material would do the show wonders.. it doesn't need to change anything about the format or how the show functions at this point.

I think my biggest issue with TWGOK is that they don't really seem to go over
the emotional stress that falling in love with girls and having them forget about you
puts on the protag. Whenever I stopped on the manga it seemed like they were going that route, but I can't recall 100%. I get that's it's for the sake of harem hijinks, but it's a shame as everything else I love.

Articalys

*spins the R1 license wheel*

Hmm, looks like it landed on "NISA licenses the movie Fuse: Teppou Musume no Torimonochou (Memoirs of a Huntress) for a Blu-ray release in May".

Think I saw a few impressions of this before in the thread, though I can't recall if they were positive, negative, or neutral.

I think my biggest issue with TWGOK is that they don't really seem to go over
the emotional stress that falling in love with girls and having them forget about you
puts on the protag. Whenever I stopped on the manga it seemed like they were going that route, but I can't recall 100%. I get that's it's for the sake of harem hijinks, but it's a shame as everything else I love.

They don't? That's too bad.

cnet128

Banned
Fresh Precure! 4

I'm not a huge fan of Chiffon's actual design, but I'll be damned if she doesn't make up for it with all the adorable things she does. And she can even be legitimately useful in battle! I guess having boundless telekinetic powers will kind of do that. Most OP mascot ever? I tell you, if Chiffon ever grows up, there won't even be any need for Precure any more, because she'll be able to take care of any evil organisations single-handed.

Meanwhile, I have a bone to pick with the Cures. Girls, why are all your finishers completely identical? I mean, basically the only difference between them is the colour and the card suit you form with your hands. After GoGo where all the Cures had cool unique-looking attacks, some of which even functioned as more than just offensive beams (gotta love Urara's Prism Chain), these weak-ass copypasta light waves just feel lazy. It was particularly blatant in this episode when the three Cures all used their finishers one after another.

On the positive stock footage side of things, this episode was the first time we saw the Cures' group transformation sequence, and it looks pretty classy. After both Yes series just used the Cures' individual transformation sequences loosely splitscreened and cut together, it's refreshing to see a group transformation sequence that actually features the whole group together.

Jintor

SYD s2 04

zzz

Log Horizon 17

sogood.gif

I looked up at one point in surprise I was 75% through the episode, Log Horizon just flies by

cajunator

Banned
AnimeGAF's Queen of Moe

ibr2JaIqtg8R1S.gif

EDIT: Ooh ekk. That was meant to be a response to Admiral Woofington's post on the page before, not a top of the page post.

Akane is so hnnng. Dunno why people didnt like her.

posted about Sekai seifuku in there to see if anybody is a closet anime fan.
(not that they would admit it)

Fresh Precure! 3

So, uh, guys, is it just me…

ifbgNQXamdfv1.gif

…or would Inori make an amazing yandere?

(She's actually incredibly sweet and I love her to bits, but there's just something about those eyes…)

She would!

She has the inferior puke though.

wc3Wsmw.jpg

BEAR is right as usual.

The World God Only Knows 03

Konami code dancing. Didn't like this Mio girl, so the episode was a bit meh for me.

You're not alone. She's the wrong kind of Tsundre. Probably my least favorite girl. Thankfully -
we don't see much of her going forward
Semi-spoiler, although don't be afraid to look.

Phi Brain Season 3 Episode 18 – It’s Okay If I Can’t Solve Puzzles
tumblr_n0ju07BhUt1qbxqfpo1_500.png

Exploring the what if scenario proposed was actually a good scene. Everyone relaxing and megane Rook was kind of funny. Otherwise I think it went along fairly predictably.

Dont know where Gammon comes in and that odd line
MR. Orpheus or something, are they aligned on the other side?

Bingo - better material would do the show wonders.. it doesn't need to change anything about the format or how the show functions at this point.
i think that the show is already awesome because it's entertaining .. I cannot call it a master piece yet because this will probably be a feelign that will be there when it's over and we'll look back at the positive and negatives
So far the diversity of the 4 first episodes show me that there is potential for a great anime.
What we got wasn't dull , some part were hit or miss but i want to believe that the show is achieving what he set himself to do.

*spins the R1 license wheel*

Hmm, looks like it landed on "NISA licenses the movie Fuse: Teppou Musume no Torimonochou (Memoirs of a Huntress) for a Blu-ray release in May".

Think I saw a few impressions of this before in the thread, though I can't recall if they were positive, negative, or neutral.

there was a time where i was seeing news of NISA licenses with joy ...now thanks to their double region lock i'm headed toward despair and anger.

Mature

Watanabe is only chief director for Space Dandy; he's leaving a lot of freedom up to the individual episode directors. If you want more of Watanabe's individual directing style, you'll need to wait for his show at MAPPA planned for later this year.

Even episode 5 is not "Watanabe style" as much as it's Akemi Hayashi's style.
I wish we'd get at least a name for his MAPPA show. I want to torture myself with speculation. It's supposed to be an original series, right?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom