• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Winter 2014 Anime |OT2| Waiting for Sakamoto

Status
Not open for further replies.

cnet128

Banned
Silver Spoon S2 5

Guys. Guys. Hachiken is sympathising with vegetables. I think he needs sleep.

And oh looky here, it's the second girl this season who I have to label "more oblivious than a harem protag". Good thing she has her friends to set her straight!

jman2050

Golden Time 17

Damn those 23 minutes flew right by. I'm getting a huge "shit's about to get real" vibe from this episode, especially as it looks like
Mitsuo is piecing together the connection between Banri and Linda. Speaking of which, it didn't even occur to me until the ending that Mitsuo never found out about Banri's condition.
Also loved
Mitsuo's face at the end, the "we've known each other and been friends since we were little, I know when you're trying to pull a fast one" face.

Maybe it's just me, but this author seems to adept at making cliched situations interesting. Amnesia is heavily overused in fiction in general but I'm still quite engrossed in Banri's personal quest. And while the execution of the whole Ghost Banri thing leaves something to be desired (or more or less, depending on the person watching), I get the idea behind it. You reframe Banri's amnesia in a more foreboding light, rather than just something that "happened" and needed to be dealt with. It takes the idea of your past haunting you and progresses it to its next step, putting an actual face to it.

darkside31337

Tomodachi wa Mahou
I was a huge Chuu2 fan but not really digging this new season a ton. The awkwardness of the first season has been replaced with a general state of melancholy. The characters came to accept who they are as people and its honestly given this season an aura of pointlessness.

jman2050

Golden Time 17

Great episode. These past few episodes have been fantastic as they feature little ghost banri. Some highlights:

- 2D-kun continues to be amazing, ultimate friend and bro. There should be a whole show based off him.

Evidently the writer agrees, because there's a spinoff novel starring 2d-kun! Based on what I've heard, he has his own love dodecahedron to deal with including both 2D and 3D girls!

Evidently the writer agrees, because there's a spinoff novel starring 2d-kun! Based on what I've heard, he has his own love dodecahedron to deal with including both 2D and 3D girls!

Wait are you serious? I knew people here liked him haha but I didn't realize he was THAT popular. That's amazing. It's like if Gintama's creator made an anime based off Madao.

Gbraga

Kyoukai no Kanata had Mitsuki, so it was well worth watching.

tumblr_n0kv12PEiA1t3attto1_500.jpg

Satsuki was so damn gorgeous in Kill la Kill 17 >_<

Episode 17 was where we surprisingly saw a tranquil, happy side of her. That scene with her and the butler showed her looking kind of happy reminiscing about the past.

RAGYO, on the other hand looked batshit insane in episode 17. Seriously, when she jumped towards the camera like that I flinched for a second. Who expected her to look like that?!?

Gbraga

Episode 17 was where we surprisingly saw a tranquil, happy side of her. That scene with her and the butler showed her looking kind of happy reminiscing about the past.

RAGYO, on the other hand looked batshit insane in episode 17. Seriously, when she jumped towards the camera like that I flinched for a second. Who expected her to look like that?!?

She was super creepy lol

Her theme is fucking godlike though, and the bath scene will forever stay in my mind. So good :')

SDBurton

World's #1 Cosmonaut Enthusiast
...Aoi Yuki will voice MC of Blade&Soul TV anime
Also director will be Steins;Gate director
Oh and screenplay will be Pokemon XY's screenplay

Looks like the MC is an assassin class, which is surprising considering I was almost sure they would be a blade master. Shame Kung-fu gets no love but if that girl in the back is a destroyer class imma jizz myself.

Edit: nvm, looks like the girl in the background is a force master. Get that guy in the back outta there!

SKET Dance 36-37: Onihime

Eh. It was a somewhat sad story, but after the Switch one it just couldn't hold a candle to it. The best part is when she met Bossun and he made this face when he went to meet her

In fact once they brought him into the story it got way better. As uninteresting as he is as a character in terms of protagonist material, he's hilarious.

Seraphis Cain

bad gameplay lol
Golden Time 17

jman, I'm gonna have to disagree with you here, and I hope we can have a bit of a discussion over this, but I'm not sure I thought this episode was all that good.

First off (and this is just a small thing, not so much related to what I thought of the important parts of the episode),
the festival club thing at the beginning was a bit dumb, I thought. I mean, I get the joke, "People make assumptions based on little information then end up looking dumb", but it just felt so unrealistic (Something unrealistic in anime? NEVER!). Nobody would jump to such a conclusion based on such flimsy "evidence". But again, not that big of a deal, and I've already spent too many words talking about it. :lol

Now onto the important stuff:
What confuses me is...why exactly is it a big deal that Mitsuo doesn't know about Banri's amnesia and his previous relationship with Linda? I mean, first off, this is the exact same situation that Banri and Koko were in in the first cour of the show, but redone with different characters. Beyond that, though, I'm not sure why the audience is supposed to care if Mitsuo doesn't know. For one, we haven't even been told if Mitsuo and Linda are actually dating or not. One could assume they are, based on what we've been shown thus far, but it hasn't been made explicit. And also, if Mitsuo doesn't know...who cares? I mean, I like Mitsuo. You can go back through my previous episode impressions and see that I'm a big fan of his character. But...I just don't know why I should care if he doesn't know about what happened between Banri and Linda in the past. I don't feel like the audience has been invested enough in Mitsuo and Linda's relationship to care if they get/stay together or not. Mainly because we don't know if they're even IN a relationship.

I don't know, maybe I'm just missing out on something here, but it doesn't feel like
there'd be any big dramatic consequences if Mitsuo found out

cnet128

Banned
Golden Time 17

Ooh, looks like we have some interesting stuff to look forward to next episode, with Banri going off to properly face up to his past and the promise of potentially some developments on the Mitsuo side of things. It's about time Mitsuo got some time in the spotlight, and there was some serious tension emanating from him in that last scene. Interested to see where the show is going with this.

Golden Time 17
One could assume they are, based on what we've been shown thus far, but it hasn't been made explicit. And also, if Mitsuo doesn't know...who cares? I mean, I like Mitsuo. You can go back through my previous episode impressions and see that I'm a big fan of his character. But...I just don't know why I should care if he doesn't know about what happened between Banri and Linda in the past. I don't feel like the audience has been invested enough in Mitsuo and Linda's relationship to care if they get/stay together or not. Mainly because we don't know if they're even IN a relationship.[/SPOILER]

I don't know, maybe I'm just missing out on something here, but it doesn't feel like
there'd be any big dramatic consequences if Mitsuo found out

While one of the possibilities is that they're dating, another one that doesn't assume as much is that Mitsuo and Linda are still working in the restaurant thing all three of them worked in a couple of episodes ago, and have gotten closer. Mitsuo obviously has a crush on Linda now, but Linda's attitude in today's episode didn't give the impression that she saw him as anything more than a friend. If they had her move on from Banri that easily there'd be no drama

As to there being drama if he found out, it'd only be drama over Banri having everybody know besides him when they're supposed to be best buds, and also that they all hid such a crucial piece of ingo from him. Considering that he now likes Linda and he'd see it as a bit of a betrayal as Banri already has a girlfriend, so to have another one that he likes fawning over him is unfair.

jman2050

Golden Time 17

jman, I'm gonna have to disagree with you here, and I hope we can have a bit of a discussion over this, but I'm not sure I thought this episode was all that good.

First off (and this is just a small thing, not so much related to what I thought of the important parts of the episode),
the festival club thing at the beginning was a bit dumb, I thought. I mean, I get the joke, "People make assumptions based on little information then end up looking dumb", but it just felt so unrealistic (Something unrealistic in anime? NEVER!). Nobody would jump to such a conclusion based on such flimsy "evidence". But again, not that big of a deal, and I've already spent too many words talking about it. :lol

I can't speak in general cause I didn't care much for that scene anyway, but as to the bolded, you might be surprised
what people will assume based on nothing. That's how most harmful gossip starts after all.

Now onto the important stuff:
What confuses me is...why exactly is it a big deal that Mitsuo doesn't know about Banri's amnesia and his previous relationship with Linda? I mean, first off, this is the exact same situation that Banri and Koko were in in the first cour of the show, but redone with different characters. Beyond that, though, I'm not sure why the audience is supposed to care if Mitsuo doesn't know. For one, we haven't even been told if Mitsuo and Linda are actually dating or not. One could assume they are, based on what we've been shown thus far, but it hasn't been made explicit. And also, if Mitsuo doesn't know...who cares? I mean, I like Mitsuo. You can go back through my previous episode impressions and see that I'm a big fan of his character. But...I just don't know why I should care if he doesn't know about what happened between Banri and Linda in the past. I don't feel like the audience has been invested enough in Mitsuo and Linda's relationship to care if they get/stay together or not. Mainly because we don't know if they're even IN a relationship.

It seemed to me that
Mitsuo and Linda aren't dating right now, but that Mitsuo is very interested. Linda still seems to have a thing for Banri.

Think about it. It's plainly obvious to him that Banri, Koko, and Linda are hiding something. Wouldn't Mitsuo be intensely interested in why Linda would choose to hide her past affiliation with Banri, especially since he evidently likes her? And what's going to happen if Linda is pressed about it, given that, as far as Banri knows, Linda never liked him in the first place (which of course was a bold faced lie)?

It could be much ado about nothing and the show could be going in a different direction, I'm just talking about what my gut feelings tell me.

dimb

Bjergsen is the greatest midlane in the world
I was a huge Chuu2 fan but not really digging this new season a ton. The awkwardness of the first season has been replaced with a general state of melancholy. The characters came to accept who they are as people and its honestly given this season an aura of pointlessness.
Chuu2-2 has kind of embraced itself as a comedy at this point. In some ways that's better because we don't have to deal with KyoAni romance where the characters are afraid to even hold hands for 20+ episodes. On the other hand it's not really funny enough to work as a comedy. Right now the show is rotating through the cast for character based episodes but it's not really working that well.

Narag

Kill La Kill 17

Four eps in a row I've enjoyed now. Feels nice to be back onboard and to feel like the show has righted itself into what it should have been.

Maybe we've all been conned and Satsuki is the secret protagonist!
I'd probably be able to stomach useless Ryuko better if she was the false protag all along.

Dresden

Kill La Kill 17

Maybe we've all been conned and Satsuki is the secret protagonist!
I'd probably be able to stomach useless Ryuko better if she was the false protag all along.

It's the best option for the show moving forward, but we all know that Ryuko is here to stay as the heroine. :(

Seraphis Cain

bad gameplay lol
I can't speak in general cause I didn't care much for that scene anyway, but as to the bolded, you might be surprised
what people will assume based on nothing. That's how most harmful gossip starts after all.

It seemed to me that
Mitsuo and Linda aren't dating right now, but that Mitsuo is very interested. Linda still seems to have a thing for Banri.

Think about it. It's plainly obvious to him that Banri, Koko, and Linda are hiding something. Wouldn't Mitsuo be intensely interested in why Linda would choose to hide her past affiliation with Banri, especially since he evidently likes her? And what's going to happen if Linda is pressed about it, given that, as far as Banri knows, Linda never liked him in the first place (which of course was a bold faced lie)?

It could be much ado about nothing and the show could be going in a different direction, I'm just talking about what my gut feelings tell me.

Now I feel a bit dumb for forgetting about the "Linda lied to Banri about not actually liking him" plot point. :lol I'm watching so many shows this season it's a bit hard to keep track of stuff at times. But yeah, I suppose if Mitsuo were to confront her about it, especially in front of everyone else, things could get dramatic pretty quick. It does kinda make you wonder why nobody's told Mitsuo (and to a lesser extent, 2D-kun) about all this stuff. I understand wanting to keep parts of it private, but they probably at least could have told him about Banri's amnesia and that he and Linda went to the same high school but now he doesn't remember her. Now, the part about Banri liking Linda and Linda liking Banri but not telling him, they could probably not tell him. :lol

AnimeGAF, are you familiar with nakinyko? He's got some great mashups.

Seeing his most popular uploads, I haven't seen like 99% of the anime he mashes together, and I can't say I'm too sad about it as they seem a bit otaku-ish.

The best thing to come from Ghost Banri is the new joke where people photoshop him into random tragic anime scenes.

Please tell me there's a mashup site/tumblr of this

It's the best option for the show moving forward, but we all know that Ryuko is here to stay as the heroine. :(

Honestly, Ryuko is just a distraction at this point. A nice distraction sure, she's not horrible, but the show truly shines whenever the glorious Satsuki is on screen.

Just heard the news about Ben-To. I hope this streaming from Funimation leads to a blu-ray release. I'd buy it in a heartbeat. I've been asking for an English release of this show ever since it ended, I hope this leads to it.

I shall be crossing my fingers in the mean time.

cnet128

Banned
The best thing to come from Ghost Banri is the new joke where people photoshop him into random tragic anime scenes.

This sounds amazing, need links to examples.

Honestly, Ryuko is just a distraction at this point. A nice distraction sure, she's not horrible, but the show truly shines whenever the glorious Satsuki is on screen.

Satsuki is badass as fuck, certainly, but I still wouldn't want her to take centre stage at Ryuuko's expense. Ryuuko has just the right combination of cuteness and attitude for the protag position, while Satsuki has just has an overload of the latter and none of the former.

Fresh Precure! 7

Oh god it really is like Michiru and Kaoru all over again. God help me I love this kind of plot. Watching the cold and derisive Setsuna slowly but surely being taken in by Love's innocent charms as she teaches her about happiness is far too delicious to be allowed.

Also, I feel the need to note that the Nakiwameke, while their visual designs are as ridiculous as ever, seem to be developing a tendency to have much more interesting actual abilities than any of the monsters of the week in previous series. I mean, last episode we had one that can literally erase entire concepts from existence, and this episode featured one that can stop and rewind time. That's a significant step up from the one-note attacking machines that the Zakenna, Uzaina, Kowaina and Hoshiina almost always were.

Dresden

Sure feels like there's always been two.

Maybe i've been watching it wrong though. But that's always the impression I got from it, so who knows.

If you ignore everything other than the opening, sure. But trying to argue that Satsuki has had the kind of presence that Ryuko has had, or that any sort of dynamic exists between the two to justify this lack, is like... eh.

It's why the ending of ep17 is so fun - Satsuki takes a step forward for the first time, trivializing Ryuko in the process. It's not going to last, but I'll enjoy it while it does.

Thoraxes

Satsuki is badass as fuck, certainly, but I still wouldn't want her to take centre stage at Ryuuko's expense. Ryuuko has just the right combination of cuteness and attitude for the protag position, while Satsuki has just has an overload of the latter and none of the former.

x0r3lMQ.gif

If you ignore everything other than the opening, sure. But trying to argue that Satsuki has had the kind of presence that Ryuko has had, or that any sort of dynamic exists between the two to justify this lack, is like... eh.

It's why the ending of ep17 is so fun - Satsuki takes a step forward for the first time, trivializing Ryuko in the process. It's not going to last, but I'll enjoy it while it does.

They've not had a dynamic nor am I suggesting what you're suggesting I am suggesting, but i'm simply just telling you how i've viewed something from my viewing experience. To me i've always felt their actions portrayed were relatively equal, with two story lines occasionally converging for climaxes. I'm not even trying to suggest i'm right or wrong either (i'm neither), but i'm just letting you know how my experience with the show has been different from yours because of the way I perceived what I watched. If I could have you watch it through my brain I would let you :D

Whether i'm just oblivious or not critical enough is up for debate I guess (i'm both probably), but i've always thought of them as equals during my time watching this show.

Satsuki was so damn gorgeous in Kill la Kill 17 >_<

I'm about to watch it online. Tried to watch it on the crunchyroll Playstation app, but man, that thing is a pile of dog shit. It only ever seems functional for me if it's late at night and everyone is asleep.

I'm about to watch it online. Tried to watch it on the crunchyroll Playstation app, but man, that thing is a pile of dog shit. It only ever seems functional for me if it's late at night and everyone is asleep.

PS4 app works better for me than PC, except for one show that loads crappy whenever it comes out (Samurai Flamenco)

survivor

Banned
Nagi no Asukara 18

Pretty good episode, seeing
the empty ruined city and the cave of the dolls was pretty chilling. I'm not sure why Manaka was naked or actually why Hikari or Kaname woke up naked. I feel like I missed the part where their clothes disappear lol Also suck it Miuna, I will enjoy your tears.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom