• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Winter Anime 2015 |OT| ZA WARUDO is not square!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Narag

UMDy26P.jpg

9vMzHvul.png

Probably touched upon already but if the masks are indicative of destination, I can finally put his behind me now too!!

ibyea

Banned
I personally liked the second Death Parade episode. It made certain the rules of the setting a lot more clear to the audience. And in a way, the warning of mistaken judgment wasn't just for the bartender, but for the audience too.

fertygo

I feel the latest eps of Death Parade also setting up the possibility of Arbiter's politic, maybe later we seeing arbiter that more biased than Decim and such.

Midonin

PriPara 28

I've determined I do my best PriPara reviews at night, when I'm at least slightly tired and able to launch into a rambling essay about this kids' idol show that's not even the biggest one. But damn if I don't love it.

Iroha is an interesting case. We've seen that adults can enter the city-state of idoldom and that for some people, like Mirei, the changes are drastic, but Iroha, Shion's rival, is a unique case for reasons that are mostly a gag, but I think say something about her as a person.

wXTwawZ.jpg
k8mloE6.jpg

Outside PriPara (left), inside PriPara (right)

Her outer self is gaudier and tackier than anyone I've seen in this show, on a level with Gloria. Her inner self is how she looked in Shion's flashbacks, a traditional example of Japanese femininity. With blonde hair. The idol universe actually tones down her outlandish appearance. Also, Rumi Ookubo puts on a good performance as Iroha.

For the episode itself, focusing on a Go match (aside from a performance of "Change! My World", my favorite song in the whole show) instead of singing is a nice change of pace, and allows Shion's unique talents to shine once more. The Go match being played with actual live pandas... I've compared the Akai siblings' dominance of this area to a technomagical wonderland before, but playing a game with live animals only serves to reinforce that. Given how they treat mascots that fail, I hope this was cleared with the law... unless they are the law.

As confirmed via haiku and the previous week's episode, Falulu is actually a Vocal Doll, explained this week as someone born inside PriPara, the best idol. Aside from possible human cloning, are Meganee and company also playing God? Trying to create the best idol by making a robot of sorts is riding on the line a bit. The warbling effect applied to Chinatsu Akasaki's voice kinda makes her sound like Miss Monochrome, which means all of my theories are confirmed. She is the Rinne of this series, but in a To Heart way rather than a Precure way.

That's one of the advantages I feel PriPara has over Aikatsu!. It slips into far more overt fantasy/light sci-fi elements. Aikatsu is at least reasonably plausible, while this.... I'm not really sure what its closest comparison in the late night idol anime world is. With Falulu on the scene, the magic from Rainbow Live is certainly still there. What is she being raised for, and is "Godly Idol" more than just a figure of speech? Can a robot become god?

And now that Gloria's started on her path towards redemption by becoming Lala's coach in next week's episode, what does this mean for Lala's mom? Because if the two of them could pull a Masquerade and get a concert for themselves, that would actually be pretty sweet.

Kave_Man

come in my shame circle
Taking a break from praising Onii-sama and ended up stumbling upon...

The Rolling Girls - Episode 1

I watched it cold, had no clue what it's about and holy shit loved the visuals and action.

I may also try Death Parade. The OP to it is really catchy but somehow I just know it's a trap and this is probably a moody as fuck anime or something.

Also pre-emptive fuck you to anyone who links Narutaru to me, I know what it is despite it's intro!

Full Metal Panic! The Second Raid - 5

This was a fantastic episode.

Not only did I get to see Mao go nuts on whatshisname who was screwing up the mission in the last episode, but I also got to see one of the most awesome and funny car chases I've ever seen in an anime.

I mean, the exchange between Mao, Kurt, and Sousuke was enjoyable enough on its own. But then they have Chidori call him during the chase, making it all the more hilarious. Top it all off with some funny little gags sprinkled all around it and you have one funny and action-packed car chase.

What probably made this episode really shine though, was what Mao said to Sousuke at the end. She asks him how he's going to keep balancing guarding Chidori, keeping up with his studies, and continue to serve as a soldier in Mithril. She also asks what he's planning to do in the future, to which Sousuke doesn't know how to answer that, resorting to his usual response of: "continuing to follow orders".

These are some very legitimate questions that I don't see get asked a lot in anime. I'm honestly really surprised they went with this and am really curious to see where they go with it from here.

Link Man

Banned
Magical Girl Lyrical Nanoha 8

A bit of an exposition episode, where we learn that the Lost Logia are relics from a technologically advanced civilization, and are doomsday-level weapons.

Surprised that they actually had
Nanoha come clean with her mother and leave home
, not something I expected really.

I realize that this Fate and Arf stuff is supposed to be emotional, but I just don't have an emotional attachment to Fate. It's tragic, yes, but I just can't feel anything.

It's quite a coincidence that all the major players are around the same age. ;p

Jarmel

Banned
Shirobako-14

This episode was definitely based on a real life example. I could feel the contempt of the actual episode director in that scene with the production committee.

Also any time that someone asks, "Is the director super picky?" is when red flags should be blaring in your head.

cajunator

Banned
Taking a break from praising Onii-sama and ended up stumbling upon...

The Rolling Girls - Episode 1

I watched it cold, had no clue what it's about and holy shit loved the visuals and action.

I may also try Death Parade. The OP to it is really catchy but somehow I just know it's a trap and this is probably a moody as fuck anime or something.

Also pre-emptive fuck you to anyone who links Narutaru to me, I know what it is despite it's intro!

We love you Kavey!

ibyea

Banned
Shirobako 14
Holy crap, the three guys at the opposite of the director during casting, they were so annoying. D: And I concur with others who said it must have been based on personal experience because it feels like they were written with the utmost contempt in mind.

Baalzebup

Hello, Anime-GAF. I think I'll be spending a good amount of my Gaffing at threads like these, so I though I'd drop a word and greet my new homies. Nice to meet y'all.

Cinderella Girls 2
While I wasn't exactly the biggest fan of the first episode, the rushed introduction of the rest of the girls wasn't what I was looking for. I'm not exactly sure what they are expecting with introducing the cast like that. I can only sort of identify the rest of the cast by their defining trait. The first half was okay though a tad pointless

Baalzebup

Hello. Do you have any favorite series or anything? Or stuff you're watching this season?

Hmm.. Lessee. Right now I'm watching Aldnoah.Zero, Dog Days'', Build Fighters Try, Log Horizon, CanColle. I'm thinking of starting Cross Ange due to the hilarious posts here and elsewhere.

Some of my favorites include GitS: SAC, Kara No Kyoukai, Code Geass (despite the crap in S2), Nanoha, Madoka, Jormungand, Baccano, Stellvia, Noir, Azumanga Daioh ... All kinds of things, really. Edit: Oh yeah, Hagure Yuusha no Estetica. That was hilarious as fuck.

Your favorite anime is shit. SHIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIITTT

I feel like I'm at home :)

Yup. We can get along :)

Definitely. Anyone who likes Stellvia is a good person.

cajunator

Banned
Hmm.. Lessee. Right now I'm watching Aldnoah.Zero, Dog Days'', Build Fighters Try, Log Horizon, CanColle. I'm thinking of starting Cross Ange due to the hilarious posts here and elsewhere.

Some of my favorites include GitS: SAC, Kara No Kyoukai, Code Geass (despite the crap in S2), Nanoha, Madoka, Jormungand, Baccano, Stellvia, Noir, Azumanga Daioh ... All kinds of things, really. Edit: Oh yeah, Hagure Yuusha no Estetica. That was hilarious as fuck.

I feel like I'm at home :)

Yup. We can get along :)

Welcome!

Code Geass: Good.
Nanoha: Good.
Madoka: Good.
Baccano: Good.

I don't see TTGL in this list. Have you not seen TTGL? If not, you might want to consider watching it as it is one of the greatest shows of all time.

A Certain Scientific Railgun - 5

Pretty decent backstory episode for Kuroko and Uiharu. Though I think it might have been more effective had Kuroko actually seen Misaka fire her railgun to save her and have that be their first meeting or something like that. But that's just a small complaint. Still a decent episode overall.

Baalzebup

I don't see TTGL in this list. Have you not seen TTGL? If not, you might want to consider watching it as it is one of the greatest shows of all time.

I didn't like it because the ending was sad?......
Kidding, I just forgot to mention it. TTGL rocks. The ending was still sad. Simon deserved better.

Who would of thought making an alternative route written by the author for Tokyo Ghoul, would be so much better than season 1. I mean there's no censoring for some unknown reason all of a sudden and that's great.

Brah you should watch Gintama. Also welcome!

Yoru no Yatterman - 01

Wow that was really really good. Picked this one up due to all the positive buzz it was getting around here and I wasn't disappointed in the slightest. The only reason I know about the property was because I played a bunch of Tatsunoko vs. Capcom and Doronjo was one of my favorite characters in that as well. Love to see how this re-imagining of the franchise is being handled.

Hello, Anime-GAF. I think I'll be spending a good amount of my Gaffing at threads like these, so I though I'd drop a word and greet my new homies. Nice to meet y'all.

Welcome!

Idolmaster Cinderella Girls 02

Needs more Producer. Infodump of idols is alright, but they seem a lot more one-note, but will probably change in later episodes. High-rise office building with fancy furniture seems a lot less personal than the cluttered mess in 765, will take some getting used to.

CorvoSol

Full Metal Panic! The Second Raid - 5

What probably made this episode really shine though, was what Mao said to Sousuke at the end. She asks him how he's going to keep balancing guarding Chidori, keeping up with his studies, and continue to serve as a soldier in Mithril. She also asks what he's planning to do in the future, to which Sousuke doesn't know how to answer that, resorting to his usual response of: "continuing to follow orders".

These are some very legitimate questions that I don't see get asked a lot in anime. I'm honestly really surprised they went with this and am really curious to see where they go with it from here.

Mao getting real with Sousuke is probably one of my favorite parts of the season. The episode's really great, too.

Space Dandy 18

Dandy has been consistently good these past few episodes. As soon as I saw the eagle in early scene I knew it would be of some importance later on. Dandy has become very stylized and I have to say that I'm enjoying the visuals a lot.

sonicmj1

Death Parade 2

As nice as it may be to be proven right, this episode really was more stalling measure than anything else. I got a lot more clarification about everything than I ever could have wanted. A pretty significant portion of this episode is made up of shots lifted wholesale from the previous one. That's a bit of a letdown.

Something like this episode needed to happen, though. Not just to clarify the rules, but to set up the character and thematic arcs that will likely drive the show. That's where the assistant character comes in. This episode establishes that Decim is perhaps too cold and logical to properly judge humans under stress, She has to show him what it means to be human.

There are much deeper mysteries in this show to be addressed, but I hope we don't have another slow-paced recap of events we've seen going forward. I like the character animation in this series, which lives or dies based on the body language cues the contestants have, the tells that there's more going on than what lies on the surface. The premise, weird as it is, is strong enough to support the development of its primary cast while letting each individual game stand on its own, without a need to spell things out for the audience. I think the production has largely done that aspect justice to this point, so I hope they keep on telling great stories.

Aureon

Please do not let me serve on a jury. I am actually a crazy person.
As someone who, somehow, skill knows the whole of the original Yatterman OP by memory, Yoru no Yatterman is.. great. Freaking great.

Jarmel

Banned
Cinderella Project-2
iMgAiOShmZ0Ij.jpg

Thick girls are making a comeback. I approve.
So we have a big girl, a 'big' girl, a rocker with headphones girl, a cat girl, a mentally disabled girl, a foreign girl, and a loli Oreki. I think I like this mix more than the first season.
ihELLi97vTxe0.jpg

"If you work, you lose." A good motto to live by.
The pacing this season looks to be accelerated compared to the first, with the girls being on stage really soon, and I'm not sure what to make of it. I wonder if they're going to screw up or if this whole show will be like a different take on Idolm@ster except a focus on Ryūgū Komachi, that way they can focus on the three girls. I think I might like that better as it allows the show to really flesh out the main trio as opposed to the sort of scattershot in the first Idolm@ster.
The direction in this episode wasn't necessarily as strong as the first as it's really the girls exploring their new castle. I do like how they're really playing up the Cinderella motif as it gives the show a certain motif.

What is the appeal of Dog Days exactly? I am six episodes in and wondering if I should continue or not. It seems like a worse version of Zero no Tsukaima and the main character is a real Gary Stu and is painfully nice. Does it get dramatically better at some point? I don't hate it and its kind of cute I guess but it seems painfully average.

Its just fun really. It doesnt really have a story, but the set up is a great excuse to 1) show fun battles 2) have a roster of adorable characters and 3) a ton of ridiculous fanservice. It doesnt take itself seriously so you cant help but laugh along.

Plus the MC isnt a freakin moron which is nice to see in this genre.

Jarmel

Banned
Death Parade 2

I like the character animation in this series, which lives or dies based on the body language cues the contestants have, the tells that there's more going on than what lies on the surface.

Honestly I still feel like the character animation last episode was too much. As you stated, this work will live and die on the body language and so I feel like there needs to be an emphasis on subtlety. I can't help but think of how this show would work with real life actors and the performance given in episode 1. The character animators need to show restraint and try to emulate real life performances as the audience just like Deucim will be judging these characters compared to ones in real life. If you just go all out with exaggeration then it hurts the characterization in a work in a like this and also makes it harder for the audience to 'interpret' what might be real or false.

Branduil

Death Parade 2

Yeah, I agree with everyone who's said that this episode was necessary, but hopefully won't be repeated for every case.

So, in the phone call at the end,
was that implying that the sentence to hell was only for 3 months?

Crocodile

Death Parade 2

Yeah, I agree with everyone who's said that this episode was necessary, but hopefully won't be repeated for every case.

So, in the phone call at the end,
was that implying that the sentence to hell was only for 3 months?

I thought it meant the assistant was on a three month trial basis (i.e. internship) but perhaps I need to re-watch the last bit.

Lafiel

と呼ぶがよい
Cinderella Girls #2

This was fun but honestly the rapid introduction of all the supporting characters felt reminiscent of a experience that we all commonly have in japanese role-playing games where you like explore a town, and press "x" on a bunch of uninteresting NPCs distracting us from the development of the main trio.

Basically I think the series should work on it's guns and focus more intimately and specifically on the main trio or it might turn into a bit of a mess.

Mature

Space Dandy 19

Bait and switch. I thought this would be an episode that explores Honey's character. Instead I get an episode with bad comedy accompanied with a laugh track... Uggghhhh
I enjoyed almost every episode in the first season, but even I thought this one was bad.

Full Metal Panic Episode 1

Chidori is like the cutest thing ever, but damn, Melissa Mao. Been a while since I've watched some Gonzo, probably since Vandread, always liked that style.

Jarmel

Banned
Cross Ange-11 redux
idorfYq0y5eOy.jpg

I swear to God if Tusk ruins this Garden...
So soylent green is DRAGONS? I suppose it's not that shocking in of itself. However I feel that it unnecessarily convolutes an interesting scenario. So now it seems like the scumbag brother might be under some form of hypnosis which dilutes his actions in previous episodes and somewhat hurts the whole Norma drama in previous episodes. I did like the imouto crying out for Ange though, I got a bucket of laughs during that bit. Oh and Julio sleeping with Ms. Soylent Green is fine but the whole calling her Mama bit... Shit is starting to remind me of a few doujins I've read.
i6sD8reZjy6Pg.jpg

Her cries are music to my ears.
So we go back to the base and hear Salia bitch over half the episode about how she isn't the Commander's favorite anymore. Of course despite Salia saying how she isn't stupid, she is stupid and does some stupid things.
Oh and we Macross now. Sigh. Well it does make the fights more interesting compared to taking out some boring ass dragons DRAGONS. It's a little WTFish but whatever.
Ok this is a whole lot of WTFish. We Gundam now. Like what in the fuck? Here I thought the narrative going forward would be primarily Ange planning a revolution but uh what? The show is starting to feel like every bad mecha concept thrown together.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom