• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Winter Anime 2015 |OT| ZA WARUDO is not square!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Damn shame. That's some of the best stuff too.

Hell only knows what CR will go with.
'Popsicle Man' or something.

I dunno I feel like I forget a lot of Stardust. The fight after Oingo Boingo
Anubis, the sword stand with no user
I hardly remember, but the two ones after that I'm really looking forward to.

And since CR has been using Viz names, we will most likely get Ice'd.

JoeFu

Banned
What is this oingo/boingo? I clearly read that their names are zenyatta mondatta despite what my eyes saw on the book and ears heard!!

dan2026

What is this oingo/boingo? I clearly read that their names are zenyatta mondatta despite what my eyes saw on the book and ears heard!!

1413083830201.png

Reknoc

Rolling Girls 2

lkDgx6M.jpg

Thus proving my theory that Hibiki = Best Girl

Other evidence to support this fact:

l10Rr98.jpg

Most obviously; Hibiki Ganaha - Idol master. Look at those fangs, look at that rad as hell hamster.

KfgiwMR.jpg

I don't even know who this is, but I google searched Hibiki and she came up.

EUS1XJe.png

Dan Hibiki - Street Fighter. I know what you're saying "he's not a girl and he's certainly not the best" and to the former you're right but shut up but to the latter you're wrong and stupid.

Pooya

rolling girls 2

somebody webm that punch-rear-explosion bit, pretty effects are pretty. I guess there won't be anymore best fights anytime soon though, so obviously it won't look as good. SoL/im@s incoming~ rolling girls gonna be roadies

Acosta

Shirobako

kcwRLQM.jpg

Something tells me this show is going to be depressing.

Edit: Not sure if it will be depressing, but I'm getting very stressed watching the first episode lol

CDiggity

Looking at the ED, and thusly the credits for Rolling Girls again. I get the feeling its a matter of time before the show goes full Korean on us. Enjoy it while you can.

jgminto

I dunno I feel like I forget a lot of Stardust. The fight after Oingo Boingo
Anubis, the sword stand with no user
I hardly remember, but the two ones after that I'm really looking forward to.

And since CR has been using Viz names, we will most likely get Ice'd.

Bast and Mariah
gonna be so hype.

cajunator

Banned
[Rolling Girls]- 2

So, in all seriousness, this looked about as good as the pilot episode. I'm not sure how long they can keep that up under the pressures of TV production but I'll enjoy it while it lasts.

As for the episode, and the series itself - I can't really say for sure what they're going for here. Obviously the series has set up a vague goal for our 'protagonists' but I can't really say that I really know about these characters besides our main heroine.

I imagine there will be plenty of complaints that this is an "aimless" or "plotless" show with "no characters". I remain optimistic, based on the strength of the first two episodes, that this series will do just fine.

You might think so but the 2000 OVA's were quite spotty in places and David have done a pretty good job with Stardust Crusaders so far.

Its really tough for a show to stay with consistent quality animation so if it ever does decline I wouldnt be surprised. I think so far it has been rather enjoyable and kept up a certain energy, which is why people compare it to Kill La Kill. By no means a bad thing!
It feels very old school Gainax to me and thats a really great thing.

Hardly, AnimeGAF has rendered me a broken man. Sad, alone and confused. What are you going to tell me next? That the world isn't square?

Its oblongular actually!

Planetes Episode 1-26

So i saw someone watching Planetes in here a while ago and i decided to give the series a chance and i have just found one of my top 20 Anime's of all time, one of the most enjoyable (and most satisfying ending) i have had the pleasure of seeing. The show did for a moment get a bit dark and hard hitting towards the end but overall it was beautifully made, highly recommend those who haven't to give this show a Chance.

You are indeed quite late watching it but Im glad you did discover it and it is very worthy of being top 20!
I love how it ended and though there were a few missteps, it held together well. There were some genuinely surprising character turns and such and it went far beyond what was expected from the premise. I really love space and technology so Id like to see more stuff in the vein of this show and space Bros.
Now for you to discover other unknown gems :)

Reknoc

She's good, but my theory is still correct. After some research that took me to some dark places, the Precure Wiki, I can say that outside of her magical form or whatever she ain't all that and I don't think it fair to compare cure form with non-cure form since she would no longer be an Hibiki but Cure Buttwhistle or whatever it they call themselves.

edit: and if that fails to persuade I can still fall on my back up plan; Fuck Toei

She's good, but my theory is still correct. After some research that took me to some dark places, the Precure Wiki, I can say that outside of her magical form or whatever she ain't all that and I don't think it fair to compare cure form with non-cure form since she would no longer be an Hibiki but Cure Buttwhistle or whatever it they call themselves.

edit: and if that fails to persuade I can still fall on my back up plan; Fuck Toei
She can turn into a cat so you're still wrong.

Rainy

Banned
I Can't Understand What My Husband Is Saying 1-13

This series was cute and a lot of fun. Apparently 2nd season in the spring? Can't wait.

World Trigger Episode 14
B7ledGaCIAA6iDk.png
B7ldA7LCEAAgKFc.png

Finally both Izumi and Satori in the same episode and interacting. These two are my favorite characters of the whole manga and both were done perfectly. They chose such good actors even and they look visually attractive too.

Kazama's attack was cool with the spinning, better than I expected.

I wish the pacing was slightly faster...the final two minutes could have been actiony.

Mothman91

Planetes Episode 1-26

So i saw someone watching Planetes in here a while ago and i decided to give the series a chance and i have just found one of my top 20 Anime's of all time, one of the most enjoyable (and most satisfying ending) i have had the pleasure of seeing. The show did for a moment get a bit dark and hard hitting towards the end but overall it was beautifully made, highly recommend those who haven't to give this show a Chance.

Yes!!

Rolling Girls 2

Really like the energy this show has. Hope we still get to see some great animated fight even though
Maccha Green is out of action

Ok, gave a break on Gundam for a while and watched this:

Terra Formars 1-13

I liked it, not a lot but it wasn't bad. Some of the fights were cool, others dragged on for too long, and thankfully some of the crew members that I liked were still alive in the "end". That ending though, holy shit that's half assed.

Yamato - 16

Aww yiss bring more planet explorations like this one please, always fun to see other worlds.
At least Commander Douchebag is out of the game now. And I guess Yuki got to know the truth of her identity.

fertygo

Rolling Girls - 02

Already made FF XV ain't shit, truly AOTS

What a awesome eps btw, the tone is fantastic and not taking thing seriously, all of dem sakuga.. dayum.

Hope its not totally shifting to cute girl doing cute thing doe, I still want to see more glorious fight.

Space Dandy 21

The start of this episode is probably the most bizarre starts to a Dandy episode. The way Dandy is introduced and what he is wearing sell the atmosphere of the episode almost immediately. The very first living being he encounters is an old woman with a cat that is literally inside of her. What a great way to visually represent what becomes of the crazy cat lady.

Dandy meets with Ferdinand as soon as he arrives in town. Looking very familiar to the mythical beings seen in Death Note, I have to assume that he is a death god the Japanese call Shinigami. The fact that Ferdinand says he is rare but also not is could be implied that ghosts are in fact rare in the living world but are common amongst the realm of the dead.

There are plenty of references towards death, Dandy making the first obvious one when he states that it's taking forever that he will die before he gets anywhere. The discussion of what is life, how to live it and its finale between the other inhabitants of this world. To live fearing death is no life.

The world and creature design do a fantastic job presenting this otherworldly feeling. The way the cable car moves, the ruined landscape with stairs going nowhere, the siren who lures Dandy with music, the colour palette of oranges and purples similar to that of the setting sun... All of this is expertly used to set the themes and tones of this episode. Another great episode that is beautifully crafted with a fantastic artistic design that explores the meaning of both life and death.

Lafiel

と呼ぶがよい
Rolling Girls #2

Hey I liked this better than the first episode! the rollercoaster sequence was fucking awesome. Thankfully there doesn't appear to be a quality downgrade at this point, although when it starts slowing down the strength of the backgrounds and art direction should keep it consistent.

Looking forward to next week in any case. Still having the same problem that I'm having with Yurikuma Arashi in that I don't give a shit about any of the characters at this point. At the very least the storytelling is far less of a mess in this though.

Midonin

Happiness Charge Precure! 48

I love Precure endgames. The animation gets so much more dynamic, and things can happen outside of stock footage. Though this had more than a few shades of the Digimon 02 finale, with the requisite super mode for Megumi.
FOREVER LOVELY.
Awesome to see
Cure Mirage
back in action, however briefly. Looking forward to the finale, and to Go Princess even more.

I tend to trust Zachy and Kirby when it comes to Precure.
Sorries to the hibiki fan.

Ellen is the greatest, but Hibiki is defintely no slouch either

HappinessCharge Precure 47 and 48

I'm refraining from using images for the finale, and instead will be advertising Go Princess Precure. Unfortunately, I don't have Minami images, but I do have Kirara from today's preview

CMfRqOw.jpg
lINxAUd.jpg

Reaffirming that I'm repping Kirara for GoPri

Now then, 47 wasn't as bad as I hoped for the resolution of SeijixMegumi. It sounded more ambigious than I was led to believe. That being said, I do think the resolution between Mirage and Lovely was better. Partly due to the whole enemy pair off ordeal, and the fact that both of them loved Blue. In this case, it just doesn't feel... right...

And I believe I mentioned this in 46, but it's mainly because this aspect became a plot point, and because Megumi felt closer to Miyuki tier in terms of pink bias, in where it's like "why"?

As for 48, for a penultimate episode, it didn't really look spectacular. And as much as I wanted to avoid comparing this to Heartcatch, the fight really made me think of HC's penultimate episode, because both fights used an insert song with their fight against the final boss. There were key differences though, that makes Heartcatch's penultimate better, strictly for the fights.

1. Animation was better
2. The insert song. Innocent Theme is good, but Heart Goes On is amazing. The latter was much more suited for final boss fighting. Not so much for Innocent, which was already played out at this point since it's the theme of Innocent Form's Finisher. It also doesn't give the feeling of fighting the final boss. In fact, it just doesn't suit tense fighting, given how Innocent was used throughout the final segment of HappinessCharge.

That being said, Stock footage did not eat up 33 percent of the fight like in Heartcatch, so there's a plus at least.

One thing was surprising though, given the preview..
Red initiated teh the hug on Cure Lovely. holy shit.

Unfortunately, what went on was something I expected ever since the Merchandising was revealed. In fact, it was also in the episode title.

Pink exclusive power up. Again. And they even went as far as to prevent Honey, Fortune, and Princess from fighting. And then having the internationals send her energy ala Spirit Bomb.
With the constant staredowns that happened during this episode, how the episode ended, and how the next episode will be, it's literally Dragon Ball Z at this point.

I guess at least, it won't feel quite as unnecessary as Doki's final fight. *shrugs*

Ending with more Kirara

Rolling Girls 02

Whoever said episode 2 would have a dip in quality didn't know what they were talking about. This show is still hilarious as all hell and sill has fluid, action packed, and not to mention colorful animation. Those fight scenes were straight crazy. Apparently the whole show is going to be a "Road Trip" anime where the group goes from place to place helping out wherever they are needed. My only concern is that since we are following a bunch of Rest then they're won't be as much crazy fight scenes.

Envelope

sealed with a kiss
Rolling Girls 02

Whoever said episode 2 would have a dip in quality didn't know what they were talking about. This show is still hilarious as all hell and sill has fluid, action packed, and not to mention colorful animation. Those fight scenes were straight crazy. Apparently the whole show is going to be a "Road Trip" anime where the group goes from place to place helping out wherever they are needed. My only concern is that since we are following a bunch of Rest then they're won't be as much crazy fight scenes.
judging from the ED in the first episode there's a lot of Best matchups so I don't think there will be a particular lack of fights.

Acosta

Shirobako

Man, Shirobako is intense I'm really hooked to it (I just watched four episodes, could't put it down). I have no idea about some of the stuff they are talking about but the feeling of chaos, desperation, crisis and relief when things, somewhat, end in line, is really well portrayed.

HAHAHAHA that can't be real (I hope...)

Envelope

sealed with a kiss
Sarotobu

Man, Sarotobu is intense I'm really hooked to it (I just watched four episodes, could't put it down). I have no idea about some of the stuff they are talking about but the feeling of chaos, desperation, crisis and relief when things, somewhat, end in line, is really well portrayed.

the fuck is Sarotobu

cajunator

Banned
Sarotobu

Man, Sarotobu is intense I'm really hooked to it (I just watched four episodes, could't put it down). I have no idea about some of the stuff they are talking about but the feeling of chaos, desperation, crisis and relief when things, somewhat, end in line, is really well portrayed.

What is sarotobu?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom