• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Winter Anime 2015 |OT| ZA WARUDO is not square!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Space Dandy 23

B7mBxESCAAAGkor.png
B7mBw98CMAAck_L.png

Heartbreaker.

Nozaki trolling levels = MAXIMUM

Its like he was accumulating all those experience points from the previous episodes just for this one.

Fun show overall.

Loved all the humor and the characters.

Can't even recall a single moment where I was bored or hated any particular thing about it.

Will put the manga in my backlog right under that one as something I really need to read.

Nozaki-kun best boy ranking:

Mikorin >>>>>>>>>>>>> Everyone else

Nozaki-kun best girl ranking:

I better not hear anyone trying to argue against that.

/XX/

If someone here has been waiting on updates from that project mentioned some days ago consisting of saving and sharing with the whole world many key Japanese antique animated shorts, a project that commenced on /a/ of all places... well, here we have a little sample as proof, in advance of what is to come:

Kuri Youji - Hana / 花 / Flower (1967) - YouTube
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PO7cf3jz7q8

Extracted from the 11th volume of the collection (the one dedicated to the more personal and experimental animation of that era), that along with the 4th one are the volumes already preserved completely by the people involved on this 'salvaging' process. More on the way, of course!

Acosta

Nozaki-kun best boy ranking:

Nozaki-kun best girl ranking:

I better not hear anyone trying to argue against that.

Wrong, best boy is Tomoda (and best girl is Seo!) ;)

Really fun series, I had a great time with it and yes, the trolling is amazing, that last chapter got me well, I was sure that was "the moment".

CDiggity

Akagi

Mahjong is one of those things where I am interested in it, but can never find anyone to play with, and online all of the good sites are in languages I can't read or are blocked to USA IPs. So lets take something I enjoy and blend it with the intensity of the previous series I completed, Kaiji. What you get is something pretty good, especially for those who understand mahjong and/or enjoy psychological things.

This work definitely was by the same author and shares a lot of themes, including a narrator who like to make rather interesting metaphors and absurdly high stakes games.

The main difference between this and Kaiji are the protagonists and here, our protagonist takes center stage. Akagi is ice cold, ruthless, extremely calculating and worst of all, very lucky. Dude has to have some sort of disorder. He doesn't even flinch when playing chicken, Russian roulette or
taking a sword in the shoulder
. I don't think there is a thing out there that scares him. He also has probably one of my new favorite catch phrases. That damn chuckle. People who have seen this know what I am talking about.

That said, a majority of the time spent in this series is at the mahjong table, the final match takes up a majority of the series and it never seems to get boring for me, although I could see it becoming tedious for some.

I also like the OP. Very soothing and then the end where Akagi slams down a piece perks you up for the tense match ahead.

This is a show that I enjoyed but would not recommend to everyone. Especially those who are unfamiliar with the rules of Japanese Mahjong. But if you are looking a traditional gambling game taken to it's most extreme conclusion. Go ahead.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
Akagi

Mahjong is one of those things where I am interested in it, but can never find anyone to play with, and online all of the good sites are in languages I can't read or are blocked to USA IPs. So lets take something I enjoy and blend it with the intensity of the previous series I completed, Kaiji. What you get is something pretty good, especially for those who understand mahjong and/or enjoy psychological things.

This work definitely was by the same author and shares a lot of themes, including a narrator who like to make rather interesting metaphors and absurdly high stakes games.

The main difference between this and Kaiji are the protagonists and here, our protagonist takes center stage. Akagi is ice cold, ruthless, extremely calculating and worst of all, very lucky. Dude has to have some sort of disorder. He doesn't even flinch when playing chicken, Russian roulette or
taking a sword in the shoulder
. I don't think there is a thing out there that scares him. He also has probably one of my new favorite catch phrases. That damn chuckle. People who have seen this know what I am talking about.

That said, a majority of the time spent in this series is at the mahjong table, the final match takes up a majority of the series and it never seems to get boring for me, although I could see it becoming tedious for some.

I also like the OP. Very soothing and then the end where Akagi slams down a piece perks you up for the tense match ahead.

This is a show that I enjoyed but would not recommend to everyone. Especially those who are unfamiliar with the rules of Japanese Mahjong. But if you are looking a traditional gambling game taken to it's most extreme conclusion. Go ahead.

It's funny because I got into MJ via Saki, and I wonder how much crossover there is between the two audiences. Certainly each has its own brand of... specialness. lol

CDiggity

It's funny because I got into MJ via Saki, and I wonder how much crossover there is between the two audiences. Certainly each has its own brand of... specialness. lol

I got interested in Mahjong watching my Chinese friends in college playing it. I learned some of the variants over time.

But yeah, Saki is...special.

Enron

Banned
Rolling Girls ep 2

Jesus Christ, how many vocals did they record for this show? At this rate, there'll be a double-album of just insert songs!

Show is dumb as rocks but I guess it's supposed to be. Seems like a lot of fun without being too over the top like KlK.

jbug617

Banned
WTK tweeted these are the bonuses for the Pony Can sets. You get a bonus gift if you preorder both.
Along with this bundle, customers will receive a reproduction of an original, autographed Denki-gai illustration created especially for this offer by Asato Mizu, author of the original manga, on 4 3/4 square heavy art paper and a collection of ten sheets of key frame drawing reproductions showing Yuna Yuki transforming into a Hero, sealed in an exclusive illustrated bag! In addition, as a bonus only for customers who order this pre-order bundle, this bundle will include one unique key frame drawing from Denki-Gai and an additional collection of ten sheets of key frame drawing reproductions showing Mimori Togo transforming into a hero, sealed in an exclusive illustrated bag!
I saw some tentative April dates for some blurays too, one incuding D-Frag.

Thinking of grabbing Freezing:Vibration and One Piece Collection 12 from the April releases.

Space Dandy 20

Good storyboard from Sayo Yamamoto. I liked both the creative camera angles and perspectives:

and the use of pop art comic book style:

The latter featured the kind of creative and striking color usage I associate with the best Yamamoto. It was a colorful execution of a pretty solidly amusing script. I enjoyed the clash of big-egoed personalities between Johnny and Dandy. It explored rock music not with a real interest in rock music itself so much as an interest in the cults of personality that spring up around it.

Last I heard, the Washizu match was still happening in the manga.

Thoraxes

She arrived 10 days ahead of schedule (she shipped on Tuesday; two weeks early). Kosaki too cute.

I love the case insert because it's from the hot springs episode.

2015-01-1720.00.24-coi8kns.jpg

Link Man

Banned
Magical Girl Lyrical Nanoha 9

Oh god, are we going to get a love triangle between third-graders?

Putting sugar in Japanese tea is serious business.

So Queen Beryl...er, Fate's mom was involved in a magical accident involving dimensional disruption.
Guessing she's posessed, then.

Yep, nude artwork in a dimensional spaceship, in what would likely be classified a kid's show. Then again,
torture

So much despair, no wonder Nanoha is so melancholy all the time.

Okay, so that second half was pretty good. Even if it is setting up a "power of friendship" ending.

Stiens;Gate 20

So FB is Mr. Braun? And he's not the mastermind? If he's not, then who is? Perhaps it's actually Okabe's future self. Or maybe it's someone connected to Kirisu.

Still there is that last message needed to be undone. How can Mayuri be saved without having to (re-)kill Kirisu in the process?

cajunator

Banned
Stiens;Gate 20

So FB is Mr. Braun? And he's not the mastermind? If he's not, then who is? Perhaps it's actually Okabe's future self. Or maybe it's someone connected to Kirisu.

Still there is that last message needed to be undone. How can Mayuri be saved without having to (re-)kill Kirisu in the process.

Yup thats the oh shit moment. Gut wrenching realization.

Quasar

I got interested in Mahjong watching my Chinese friends in college playing it. I learned some of the variants over time.

But yeah, Saki is...special.

i like Saki, and I generally detest yuri. Made me want to learn mahjong as I felt I was missing some points to understand the show properly.

My only complaint is the plot is so bloody slow. Hurry up and get to the finals and playing against the sister.

Thoraxes

Oh there's a second package here too.

At this point i'm just waiting on Nadia to complete my Christmas haul. Didn't get as much as I thought I would, but I decided to wait for next year's sale to do more.

2015-01-1720.53.39yku4y.jpg

Defuser

Saenai Heroine ep 1
Oh lawd, I want to be slapped by twintails hair too!! And dat black stocking legs......

I'm not gonna watch episode 0 because it's typical fanservice trash.

Stiens;Gate 21

Mayuri's deaths keep getting more depressing the more times I see them, Especially since she doesn't die right away like in the previous ones. I can't see this ending in such a way that it isn't bittersweet at best.

Still that Cliffhanger ending.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom