• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Winter Anime 2015 |OT| ZA WARUDO is not square!

Status
Not open for further replies.
The Rolling Girls 1

That was..interesting. The art reminded me a lot of FLCL and KLK. I love how vibrant and loosey goosey it looks. Plot seems interesting but is basically a nice excuse to show cute girls beat the crap out of each other. I'm on board.

Rhapsody

Banned
Durarara!!x2 02

I was worried on the budget before the season started, but it looks like everything is animated just great. It's been a long time since I've read these volumes, so the story's giving me a slight refresher.

Seiichi is prone to laziness and this got him into trouble before with "Jiggly" and it lead to disaster. For him, locking him up in a cage and forcing him to work instead of getting distracted or caught up in his own insecurity/cowardice and getting all mopey is probably the best thing. I also think its implied (maybe stated?) that these two have a history together. This is a tough love measure that I think Seiichi knows is necessary on some level. I mean if he really really wanted to get out of that cage at all costs I think he would. Also (this isn't really much of a spoiler, very minor about next episode)
he sneaks out to go to a recording session and goes back to the cage later more cooperatively
. Also you can't just fire Seiichi. He is the director. If you fire him there won't be time to find someone else and complete the series. You fire Seiichi you essentially kill Exodus production entirely.

I honestly forgot he was the director (I guess he was introduced as such in one of the first two episodes). There are so many characters that even the anime reintroduces them with their name and profession every episode. I think Shirobako would benefit focusing on fewer characters (maybe the five in the OP?). There was more focus on main girl, Tarou and director in episode five so hopefully it stays that way.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
I'm watching Boyhood and I'm curious whether there's any anime out there sort of like it? I guess a slice of life from a male perspective about growing up.
It's on my mind because I've been watching Touch, but Adachi's series (Touch, Cross Game) fit into this. Though I'm not sure if that's quite what you're looking for. They are coming of age/slice of life stories mostly from a male perspective, and even feature time skips. Maison Ikkiku also works here.

I've never seen it, but Major follows the life of a baseball player from childhood into adulthood.

It has the dumbest premise that sets it up - dumber than say, the Adachi tragedies in his baseball works, which is one of the reasons I never got to it.

Shugo Chara 10

This show has more general fights than HappinessCharge Precure did in its entire run.

And finally, more character transformations.

Soma

Rolling☆Girls Ep 2
im78x0zEE3glh.jpg

I hope we'll see Crocodile-kun again soon.

I love pretty much everything about this so far.

Even with that slightly anxious thought in the back of my head thinking that the show can't possibly maintain this quality for much longer, I'm still really excited to see where the story goes. There's a lot of potential for some really cool situations and I'm especially excited to see more of this weird little world. There's just this really great energy to this show that really makes it enjoyable for me. Lots of really great visual gags, character animation, dialogue and even the music which really adds to that "fun" vibe. Even if the production quality may eventually go south at some point I think there will still quite a bit to enjoy outta this.

Thoraxes

Oh, no. We should close down AOTY voting then.

I don't use the AOTY thread to tell me what's good and what to watch.

I choose what I want to watch by trying everything and making up my mind on my own.

I also don't pretend that my tastes are better than others either. I like what I like.

I don't use the AOTY thread to tell me what's good and what to watch.

I choose what I want to watch by trying everything and making up my mind on my own.

That's fine, I do the same. But I don't see the point of going after people who think otherwise. And lists of what is good in a given season or year are useful for many people.

Thoraxes

That's fine, I do the same. But I don't see the point of going after people who think otherwise. And lists of what is good in a given season or year are useful for many people.

I didn't go after anyone. Just said that I agree with PdotMichael's post and why I agree with it.

And I see the AOTY thread as a list for casual viewers. It's an easy place to point them to when asking for recs.

I didn't go after anyone. Just said that I agree with PdotMichael's post and why I agree with it.
Yeah, I should have been more clear that I wasn't really talking about you with that.
And I see the AOTY thread as a list for casual viewers. It's an easy place to point them to when asking for recs.
I don't think you need to be a casual viewer to find a use for recommendations. Watching everything to find out what is good isn't feasible or desirable even for more dedicated fans of the medium.
people like things
How dare they.

Shugo Chara 11

FINALLY! We had the gall to call out Amu on relying on Character change too much. Even if most of the time, it was because her Charas decided on their own to fuck with her.

More importantly, We now get to see who Tadase liked! Who was the girl that he picked instead of Amu when she confessed out loud? Could it be Nadeshiko? Some random girl? Yaya?

It was his fucking dog

And then he goes "I recently found another girl that he likes. She's like AMULET HEART! WHICH IS WHO AMU IS! HE DOESN'T LIKE THE REAL HER

n721L96.gif

Character development, and some fucking trolling from Tadase. He's a better love interest than Seiji or Blue, and he looks nowhere near as handsome as the other two.

Currently the best Shugo Chara episode so far

Thoraxes

Yeah, I should have been more clear that I wasn't really talking about you with that.
It's all good. No worries.
I don't think you need to be a casual viewer to find a use for recommendations. Watching everything to find out what is good isn't feasible or desirable even for more dedicated fans of the medium.
I mostly mean more like the people who meander in here asking for what to watch. While the voting process is going on a lot of people like to catch up, so I kinda see it more as a yearly catch-up period more than anything.

Shugo Chara 12

This is the second episode in a row with no actual fighting, just some character development on both sides of the spectrum. A move in which, ends up making everyone more interesting. Even our villains are made to be more interesting that HapCha's Generals, with only 1/4th the amount of episodes as well, because they're being... DEVELOPED!

The fact that our villains are more like a Business Operation sort of give me vibes, somewhat like Yes! 5 and how its evil organization was effectively businessmen in suits.

Mandelbo

Yuri Kuma Arashi 02

...yeah, this is moving far too quickly. We get introduced to a new character and then
she's a bear
and then
she tries to kill Kureha
and then
she gets dead.
All in the space of 15 minutes!
Also, was Kureha just being dumb when the bears came into her house? I mean, they growl in all of their sentences, one of them licked her and they even say outright that they haven't got a home. What more does she need to come to the conclusion that they're bears?

Giolon

Cross Ange 15

This show has improved a lot over its run, and now we finally get to the episode that explains everything. I'm a big fan of these latest developments, and can't wait to see where things are going to go. I'm dying to find out what's going on w/ the
Arzenal survivors - especially the ones who were picked up by Embryo

I feel like we're getting a bit too sanitized version of (voiced by Yui Horie!) Salamandinay's people - they can't be that perfect. This has never been a show about nuanced anything, but I expect them to have some flaws. Still, the more she's in the show, I think the more I'm going to enjoy it. I love her character design.

Anyway, the people who bailed out at the first episode b/c a certain scene was handled poorly are missing out on a pretty entertaining show. This show has plenty to offer besides lame fanservice jokes (which it also still has in abundance) -- mechas, dragons, evil masterminds, not-Kira Yamato, keikakus, reversals of fortune, an amazingly blatant Gundam SEED shout out, and a clever anti-beach episode. One of the characters I hated the most has even become one of my favorites,
Hilde
! Since around Episode 5 or 6, this is the show I've most looked forward to seeing each week.

The animation quality is pretty mediocre though. So if off-model faces really bother you, wait to see if the BDs clean that stuff up.

Cross Ange 15

Well, another quality episode, lots of "off" faces.And more exposition, mainly.
The episode in fact throws down a few theories liked
Embryo being an AI from the original colonization of the planet or mana being nanites.
Some parts doesn't make a lot of sense like how they were hunting dragons to take their crystals and use them to create more mana, as that's only possible because the dragons were the ones who opened the rifts as I understand, if they stopped doing so, Embryo system would have collapsed time ago.

Ange funnily enough is still being a bitch, even when the other side is peaceful and well-mannered and explains their actions and who is the enemy.

And more sexual gags! Including what I'll call a reverse-tusk.

Durarara!! x2 2
Yeah, it's coming back, the memories of the previous season. And how it's all so... anime. The exaggerated characters everywhere, the girls with thin waist and big boobs, the cursed katanas and other fantasy elements, the secret societes, etc.

Death Parade 2

I suppose it's nice to have confirmation of what it really happened in the previous episode
(she really took the blame on herself because she loved him as suspected, but she really cheating him once)
, and the idea that the Arbiters are fallible and they only have a condensed summary of memories and that's why they use the game to finish judging people is interesting.
But still, I don't know if it was a good idea to have the entire second episode dedicated to that, I think they should have summarized it more dedicating only the first half of the episode to it and the second half more for the new characters.

Mr.Jeff

So I'm probably going to finish Ping Pong tomorrow, leaving made with a little less than two weeks to get an AOTY ballot in. Is there one or two more series I should try and check out?

I already know about Pupipo so don't say Pupipo.
I hear good things about Encouragement of Climb

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom