• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Winter Anime 2015 |OT| ZA WARUDO is not square!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Theonik

Really Japan, Fury's BD going to include this?
http://www.amazon.co.jp/gp/product/B00S8721UO/

Mc1ABE1.jpg

GuP is the better tank flick.

Midonin

Shirobako 15

Aoi's... familiars? Figments of her imagination? Took on more of an exposition fairy role this episode, which was about 90% meetings. Seeing how all these technical things somehow congeal into art is interesting in itself, and looking at all the Aerial Girls materials, it's encompassing a lot of aspects of animation. I see why they chose it to be a manga over a light novel or whatnot, but I'm sure a lot of these complications would exist no matter what the source material was. I'd certainly watch it, and the episode mostly was a peaceful one (in spite of all the meetings). Progress was made, and then... there's always something that comes up. The idea that Musani is old enough to have a Toei-like status is also interesting. Everything in this world stands for more than itself.

Shirobako 15
I don't really like this narrative device. Surely there are better ways to give exposition than having two inanimate objects talk to the audience. Not that this episode was lacking in unnatural expository dialogue either.

Shirobako 15:
Andou would totally post in these threads. She's so obsessed with all sorts of details about production. I think Andou and Satou work fairly well as newbie characters to have a different look at being a production assistant. And starting the second arc earlier in the production than Exodus was in the first arc let's us really see how everything comes together. There's a lot of technical stuff in this episode, between seeing all the different meetings and what sort of thought process goes into each decision. I also liked hearing Kinoshita talk about how he wanted the dialogue scenes to be energetic, because that's something that I think Shirobako does really well.

We also find out that Endou is a bit of a plane nut (I wonder if him loving mecha anime as a kid lead to that), and he should have a lot of fun drawing them for the series. It's nice to see how different characters can bring their passions to the show. And it was really nice to get an update on Yano. I hope that she can return to the office soon. Seeing Kinoshita, Yamada and Madoka all competing over completing their storyboards the fastest was also a very fun moment.

And then we get to the ending.
I think we all knew that with the editor's attitude, eventually the author was going to get involved and want everything changed. Still, it came along at the worst possible moment. The scene with Watanabe getting the phone call from Katsuragi in the rain was a very nice moment. It's not particularly subtle in any way, but it really perfectly captures the mood of the moment, along with the way that we don't see the various different sides of the conversation, but see him coming back and telling Aoi to stop the production. The show was already going to be facing a pretty bad production rush, but now they're really in a bad way. Hopefully they can pull through.

BluWacky

So this film is weepy mono no aware Okada, rather than insane suffering Okada, I presume? A bit of Beethoven's Sonate Pathetique on the piano, twirly dancing people in the window, an egg with a hat (????) on the desk... oh, and all the AnoHana staff.

I look forward to tears whenever it gets a disc release.

(which reminds me - why DID Rainbow Fireflies never get a BD release? Why is Gothicmade still shuffling along in its zombie-like cinematic release? Why is the industry so weird sometimes?)

Branduil

Shirobako 15

Another strong episode exploring all the various pre-production meetings that are necessary before you can even get started on actually making the anime.

And at the end,
funny story, they're all totally screwed.

Slayers 22

I don't think I ever said this, but Zelgatis is pretty damn sassy, and Amelia seems to be unintentionally resourceful in my eyes

So this film is weepy mono no aware Okada, rather than insane suffering Okada, I presume? A bit of Beethoven's Sonate Pathetique on the piano, twirly dancing people in the window, an egg with a hat (????) on the desk... oh, and all the AnoHana staff.

I look forward to tears whenever it gets a disc release.

Yeah, I'm in as well.

Slayers 23

CopyRezo is so evil. Flat out killed Eris right in front of everyone in a pool of fucking blood. No wonder he was so evil

There's some Zelmelia stuff happening here

Danj

KanColle episode 3

So I don't know whether to complain about
the blatant death-flag tripping
or the fact that in the game,
ships don't sink unless you take them into battle at red damage level
, or the fact there's no separate OT thread for the KanColle anime.

Still, at least we got to see some action this week. And next week's focus is on battleships by the look of the preview, so that'll be fun. I like battleships.

Slayers 24

Silphy ruins everything. Her voice sounds uninspired, she doesn't give a fuck, and she got Lina done in.

Why is Sil's voice so uninspired?

Shirobako - 15

Mother of undisguised exposition...

Although it was still rather interesting and it's for the better to rush through all these kinds of meetings rather than omitting or relegating additional episodes to them. It's still kinda strange to have these entities of Aoi's imagination join us for the entire episode to explain everything.

Actually, I think the scenes spoke for themselves pretty well without the extra exposition on top which made it rather cumbersome to follow (esp. with subs). So yeh, that was a misstep in my opinion.

Otherwise, yikes at the ending. Everyone's motivated and the project off to a good start just for it to fall apart like that. Iguchi-san will probably be impacted the most as it's probably a bit of a punch in the gut to hear that the original manga's author is unhappy with your designs.

Crocodile

Shirobako 15

A bunch of NERDS working at this place :p

The exposition with the dolls seemed a bit overbearing. Also not a fan of that new Key Animator. She seems like a non-functional human being :/

What I don't understand is after getting the run around from the obviously clueless editor why they didn't just try to see the original author himself before starting production? That seems like the obvious thing to do no?

FluxWaveZ

What I don't understand is after getting the run around from the obviously clueless editor why they didn't just try to see the original author himself before starting production? That seems like the obvious thing to do no?

Watanabe had been trying to reach the original author for a long time, it seems, but couldn't get past the editor. I imagine, at some point, everyone can't just sit around doing nothing, so they have no choice but to rely on the editor's approval and go along with the project.

Andrew J.

Sometimes I think about commissioning a fanartist to draw me a picture of Haman Karn's mobile suit, painted up like the mascot from Madoka Magic, in the act of throwing an American football.

A Kyubey-Qubeley QB.

Crocodile

Watanabe had been trying to reach the original author for a long time, it seems, but couldn't get past the editor. I imagine, at some point, everyone can't just sit around doing nothing, so they have no choice but to rely on the editor's approval and go along with the project.

Sure but at some point you want to say to yourself "Fuck it! I'm going to find out where the author lives and knock on his front door if I have to!". If the editor seemed remotely trustworthy and seemed like someone who had actually spoken with the original author I probably would have taken his word that the author was ok with the designs. However, since the editor is basically cartoonishly incompetent, alarms bells would be ringing in my head.

BGBW

Maturity, bitches.

phaze

Slayers 22

I don't think I ever said this, but Zelgatis is pretty damn sassy, and Amelia seems to be unintentionally resourceful in my eyes
Slayers 23

CopyRezo is so evil. Flat out killed Eris right in front of everyone in a pool of fucking blood. No wonder he was so evil

There's some Zelmelia stuff happening here
justice2qwdi6.gif

Amelia and Zel rock. But the real Slayers begins with Xeloss. ^_^

Naruto Shippuden 396

zzzzz

Tokyo Ghoul Root A 03

Yet another build up episode.I can't quite decide how I feel about Tsukiyama. He has his moments but I'm not a big fan of Hisoka'esque characters and on the whole, his over the topness undermines the supposed seriousness of the story. Maybe his actions here will at least make a bit more sense than they did in his introductory arc. Though now he will have to share screen time with Yamori's old subordinate. The density of deranged, comic relief, psychos has clearly reached critical mass.

Just like with Kaneki and Aogiri, I don't think it makes much sense for Banjo to ally with Gourmet but we shall see how they explain that.

Oh and I hate how they're animating Ken's kagune this season.

The Slayers 24-26 END

The first season of The Slayers is over, with some neat animation depicting the final assualt in this battle. I think the better part about this end of the arc compared to the last one was the fact that there was strategy used throughout the whole fight, instead of effectively introducing the Best Spell Ever with DIRE CANCERQUENCES

From characters like the sassy Zelgatis, the dumb as bricks Goury, the athletic justice obsessed Amelia and Lina, the cast kept everything rather lively between them and the show.

It's no coincidence that Amelia and Zelgatis have the same movepool, and even went as far as to emphasize this with their numorous dualcasting scenes as well.

Up next is Slayers NEXT I believe. Gotta wonder what will go down here.

phaze

The Slayers 24-26 END

The first season of The Slayers is over, with some neat animation depicting the final assualt in this battle. I think the better part about this end of the arc compared to the last one was the fact that there was strategy used throughout the whole fight, instead of effectively introducing the Best Spell Ever with DIRE CANCERQUENCES

From characters like the sassy Zelgatis, the dumb as bricks Goury, the athletic justice obsessed Amelia and Lina, the cast kept everything rather lively between them and the show.

It's no coincidence that Amelia and Zelgatis have the same movepool, and even went as far as to emphasize this with their numorous dualcasting scenes as well.

Up next is Slayers NEXT I believe. Gotta wonder what will go down here.

Oh it's your first watch ? Next is I think generally acclaimed as the best of the show and deservedly so I might add. Next>Try>1st season

ibyea

Banned
Shirobako 15
Restart production all over again. That douchecanoe editor, he probably didn't go over things with the author!
D:

Flandy

I have no idea where to ask this so I'll ask here.
Want to watch an anime with a good female protagonist and I don't want any mecha or magical girl so just a regular person I suppose. I would prefer her to be an adult and set in the present day.

I've only watched a handful of anime so you can probably recommend anything and I will have not seen it

FluxWaveZ

Want to watch an anime with a good female protagonist and I don't want any mecha or magical girl so just a regular person I suppose. I would prefer her to be an adult and set in the present day.

That's not much. Shirobako is a recent show people are talking about that fits all of that.

I've only watched a handful of anime so you can probably recommend anything and I will have not seen it

Kino's Journey. If you can bend the preferences of the bolded ever so slightly anyway. Also, the show's amazing.

Tokyo Ghoul √A - 03

Is it too much to ask that they spend more screen time with, oh I don't know.. the most interesting group. Perhaps the one with the main character. It better be worth the payoff Pierrot. Right now it's like going to a bakery and getting a fucking salad.
I'm a fan of whacky Yamori Junior, the way he act and sounds makes me think this guy can probably do some fucked up stuff.
He and Suzuya would get along just fine in Nutjob Squad. Though he'll probably hear that Kaneki ate Jason, snap and die by said hands so I don't expect him to live for long.
I also really like that the ED art showed what seems to be Yamori and Naki throwbacks

No, it's Nippon Animation's 40th Anniversary project - "Sinbad - The Flying Princess and the Secret Island". However, the character design and animation is helmed by Yasuhiro Sato, who fulfilled those very same duties on Totoro and did key animation on many other Ghibli films.

Also, something with "flying" "island" and "princess", together that poster, is Ghibli as fuck.

Midonin

Saekano 02

When it comes to parodying something, or commenting on it, that can't be done without knowledge and some degree of affection. In order for Saekano's premise to work, to some extent, the characters have to fall into at least the basic nature of their archetypes, otherwise there's not much for the show to comment on. Or at least, it would be more detached from its source material. It's not quite as educational as Shirobako, being more about the inner lives of its characters, so it being "typical" isn't taking away from its point, but rather, working towards it. Megumi's complete obliviousness towards otaku culture can be seen as gently mocking it, but her willingness to learn about it shows some degree of affection as well. The problem with anime isn't that these elements are there, because even the most basic building blocks can still be retooled so that they can say something new. The creators buy into this to some extent, it's just a matter of getting the audience to - and I wonder if that's a higher hurdle for international audiences, who have been raised in cultures that are somewhat different in what they assume about storytelling.

April 14

Ayaneruuuuuuuuuuuuuu. Tsubaki doesn't have it easy, but compared to what everyone else has gone through, she can heal. It'll take time. Lots and lots of time.

phaze

Seirei no Moribito has an adult female adult protagonist but she's an expert spear fighter and the setting is historic fantasy so I dunno if that helps. Didn't care much for the show personally but its generally well regarded.

Diabolik Lovers
Nozaki Kun.

Clov

Here's some nice news for you Patlabor fans who haven't imported the BD yet; Maiden Japan has picked up the first Patlabor movie, and will be releasing it in May! More nice stuff to add to my small Oshii on BD collection.

BluWacky

You should try watching

- Hataraki Man, which is a comedy about a hard-working journalist in a man's world.
- NANA - about two women with the same name, one of whom is an up-and-coming rock star, who end up living together - it's quite soapy but very well executed.
- Michiko and Hatchin - a crime caper (of sorts) set in South America. It's a bit melodramatic (I'd say "telenovela-esque" but I suspect that's the wrong description) and Michiko is of the "buxom hardass" cliché at times, but should hopefully fit the bill.
- Planetes, although set in the future, is a very "realistic" look at the lives of garbage collectors in space. It has several good female protagonists, although one is unerringly (and occasionally gratingly naively) optimistic. My favourite of the shows in this list.
- Gokusen - about a high school teacher who's also part of a Japanese mafia family, laying down the law (comedically) with her wayward students

These all have adult leads, but it's rare to even find MALE adult leads in anime, let alone female.

(PS note that DTL's recommendations above are both for shows with teenage heroines, and Diabolik Lovers is about vampires which I assumed would be outside of your specifications.)

cajunator

Banned
It's a show.

About lesbian bear storms.

what is to get

I know really. It cant be much more simple to understand.
Its about yuri and clever ways to discuss sex and such and so forth. Its Ikuhara. Thats what he does.

Pretty sure this was Fred Flinstone's mating call.

Grendizer 64

So it's sort of endearing how Nagai introduced Duke Fleed's little sister 50 episodes into an 80 episode show, and how he quickly established the teen by making her have a crush on Kouji (her age isn't clear. Subs said 14, but subs also spent an entire episode accidentally making puns about beating off, sooooo) but what bothers me is that it feels to me like Nagai doesn't have much of a grip on what to do with Kouji's love life.

Like, it's sort of the same thing that irked me about Gundam. Except that at least Tomino took some small amount of time to make throwaway remarks hinting at Amuro and Sayla breaking up. As far as I knew, until Kouji had admitted to himself that he was in love with Hikaru Makiba, he was still in a relationship with Sayaka Yumi. And now Nagai's been dropping hints that Maria's feelings for Kouji aren't very unrequited at all.

It's weird, though, because both Tomino and Nagai show in their middle works (Z-ZZ and Great Mazinger, respectively) that they're quite capable of making the hero settle down with one girl. Not sure if it's better or worse than having all three of the Getter dudes be in love with Michiru Saotome.

In any case, something else I noticed about the show's transition is that over time the typical Super Robot bully character Bunta just up and vanished.

She looks so moe~
No I dont apologize for saying it.

Cinderella Girls 2

Can some idoru expert tell me if the whole vampire thing is common? Cause that one girl seems like a pretty blatant ripoff of Yurika Toudou...

Gothic lolita style is an extremely popular character trait and one I admit to being very fond of.

Oh damn. Well it can still be good. I didnt fund this though.

Like that LWA OVA.

I did fund this...

But its still in production soooooo

At least Santa Company came out really adorable and better than I imagined :)

Midonin

Cinderella Girls 2

Can some idoru expert tell me if the whole vampire thing is common? Cause that one girl seems like a pretty blatant ripoff of Yurika Toudou...
The Cinderella Girls mobile game launched in 2011, while Aikatsu launched in 2012. So if anything, Ranko came first.

The Slayers NEXT 28-29

Zelgatis practically changes moods with a drop of an arc, but they're doing more to establish Zelmelia.

Pretty episodic so far, with a weird priest fucking with even Lina.

phaze

PuPiPo ! 1-15

I'm confused.
Wasn't it said they would lose their past and be reborn as essentially new people if they step into the spring ? Yet they seem to have kept their lives and memories intact and just cured themselves from the Spiritual Sensitivity. Discarding the previously painted dilemma of choosing completely new life without their illness or of retaining your own self and having to bear with it seems like a cop out to give the characters a happy ending just for the sake of it.

jbug617

Banned
Sentai announced they got TWGOK OVAs.
http://www.sentaifilmworks.com/news...enses-the-world-god-only-knows-ova-collection

HOUSTON, January 22, 2015 – Sentai Filmworks is proud to announce its latest acquisition, The World God Only Knows OVA Collection. The duo of Keima Katsuragi and Elsie return in a set of stories that tie together the various seasons of the popular romance comedy series by animation production studio Manglobe.

Four Girls and an Idol
Summer comes around, and Chihiro, along with Elsie, Ayumi and Miyako, have been enjoying the activities of the band called "2B PENCILS". They decide to start up a band club and thoroughly devote themselves to their studies in order to secure a clubroom. Meanwhile, before the very eyes appears the celebrity idol Kanon-chan! Meanwhile, Kanon-chan seems to have her eye on Keima, which makes Chihiro and the others uneasily jealous.

The Reunion/The Encounter
Childhood friend Tenri Ayukawa moves in next door to Keima, who behaves in a curt manner, having not seen each other for 10 years. It turns out another girl named Diana resides inside Tenri. Diana tells Keima of something that occurred 10 years ago. A tale a decade in the making is finally revealed in a thrilling two part story with Tenri’s very heart on the line!

Magical Star Kanon 100%!
Kanon has it tough every day, what with being a pop idol and a high-school student. But one day, suddenly, she turns into an elementary-school student! What's more, another "Kanon" shows up and tries to win over the children, including the real Kanon herself. Things get even crazier when Kanon is turned into a witch! What will happen to our leading idol when she must literally and figuratively face herself? This 100% Kanon OVA spinoff features familiar friends and new characters in an all new original story by Tamiki Wakaki himself!

Clov

Shirobako 15

Damn it, everything was just going too smoothly, wasn't it? I knew the author would end up interfering at some point, but I didn't think it would be so early.

Also, I love the next episode title. Reminds me of those stories of Miyamoto.

Shirobako 15

lol such a happy upbeat episode until the last 20 seconds. I'm not sure if I really like having the two doll things explain everything but it doesn't bother me a whole lot.

Next episode is called Table Flip oh boy

Tokyo Ghoul √A 03

Naw, this isn't a very entertaining watch. Not doing enough with the original story premise to keep me interested. Dropped. Will just read the people who follow its posts to see if anything cool happens.

The Slayers NEXT 30-31

Not so episodic anymore.

This seems to be a bit more goofy than the first season so far. Having Amelia here, and remembering how she used to worship Lina, it's like Amelia has definitely seen some shit.

It's as if Lina is more extreme than before.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom