• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Winter Anime 2015 |OT| ZA WARUDO is not square!

Status
Not open for further replies.

CorvoSol

The Slayers NEXT 32-33

One of these days, Whatsherface will be formidable and not a joke villian.

Amelia really is getting sick of Lina's shit, and she clearly blushed towards Zelgatis after burning some slugs. I WATCHED ANIME ENOUGH TO KNOW THAT MY SIGN LANGUAGE WAS IMPECCABLE

Also the packaging for this is awful. It's the worst Slayers experience I've had, with period magic being in second place now.

Do you mean the show is the worst Slayers show or that the packaging is the worst? Cuz i sorta thought NEXT was the show's best season.

jbug617

Banned
Bought a new shelf for the blurays early this month. It's missing the DVDs and the NISA Sets.

otvtdN2.jpg

FluxWaveZ

He's not really wrong the dungeon crawling and combat is ass. I would like it better if the shadow designs weren't all terrible and reused as well
I mean they actually made a game where you can't control 3/4 of your party wtf is that

I think this:
tbh the waifu/hasubando vn stuff is the only reason why anyone would waste their time with the trash persona series.
...is absolutely wrong, and is an extremely idiotic statement. The RPG segment of the game can be considered weak (though I would argue the combat is fine, but it's the dungeon crawling that can be cumbersome), but saying that its appeal lies in its capacity as a dating sim? Stupid.

He's not really wrong the dungeon crawling and combat is ass. I would like it better if the shadow designs weren't all terrible and reused as well
I mean they actually made a game where you can't control 3/4 of your party wtf is that

The randomly generated dungeons are certainly garbage, but the combat system is quite good (although 3's AI party members are dumb) and the fusion system is pretty deep.

Narag

I think this:

...is absolutely wrong, and is an extremely idiotic statement. The RPG segment of the game can be considered weak (though I would argue the combat is fine, but it's the dungeon crawling that can be cumbersome), but saying that its appeal lies in its capacity as a dating sim? Stupid.

I didn't even know Persona was anything more than a dating sim until last week. I even put 30 hours into 3 at that, ~chu.

I think this:

Really? Because S-links and the cheracters certainly seem like the main draw. Isn't P3P half a VN anyway?

The randomly generated dungeons are certainly garbage, but the combat system is quite good (although 3's AI party members are dumb) and the fusion system is pretty deep.

I would like the combat better if it weren't so goddamn slow.

striferser

Huge Nickleback Fan

At the very least, they never kill your MC by accident and not as annoying as fallout party member...though yeah, the AI can be real spotty at a times. For P3FES, i usually finish the dungeon segment in one night so i can focus on the SOL.

wonzo

Banned
I think this:

s links are the only good mechanic in the entire series hth

FluxWaveZ

Really? Because S-links and the cheracters certainly seem like the main draw. Isn't P3P half a VN anyway?

I dislike P3P for how it butchered the original game's presentation.

But the S. Link system is only *a* draw of the game, and that's not even necessarily related to dating (you don't have to date anyone if you don't want to, which I didn't). I love Persona 2: Innocent Sin and Persona 2: Eternal Punishment very much, and those games are devoid of an S. Link system. What makes Persona special, and Persona 5 one of NeoGAF's top 10 most anticipated video games of 2015 (and one's delusional if they think a dating sim would rank), is everything about it. It's a complete package of awesome music, aesthetic, characters, setting, combat, story, etc.

I think this:

This right here, I certainly did not play Persona 3 as a dating sim. I played it for the engrossing story, atmosphere, characters, and OST. So just to call it a dating sim is really an overstatement.

I even loved the dungeon crawling, which some may dislike.

Do you mean the show is the worst Slayers show or that the packaging is the worst? Cuz i sorta thought NEXT was the show's best season.

The packaging.

On the waifu thing, it's no surprise that the more shallow entries of a series only gets by with waifu talk anyway, it's why FE:A and Persona topics are filled with em.

Granted a bigger issue is that it's actually part of the gameplay package.

I dislike P3P for how it butchered the original game's presentation.

But the S. Link system is only *a* draw of the game, and that's not even necessarily related to dating (you don't have to date anyone if you don't want to, which I didn't). I love Persona 2: Innocent Sin and Persona 2: Eternal Punishment very much, and those games are devoid of an S. Link system. What makes Persona special, and Persona 5 one of NeoGAF's top 10 most anticipated video games of 2015 (and one's delusional if they think a dating sim would rank), is everything about it. It's a complete package of awesome music, aesthetic, characters, setting, combat, story, etc.

This right here, I certainly did not play Persona 3 for the dating sim. I played it for the engrossing story, atmosphere, characters, and OST. So just to call it only a dating sim is really an overstatement.

I dunno, I think SMT does most of those things far better (music, aesthetic, setting, combat). Persona has an advantage on characters and story and that's pretty much it, and both of those are intertwined with S-Links.
There is an element I am drawn to and it is a pretty nice complete package.

I dunno, I think SMT does most of those things far better (music, aesthetic, setting, combat). Persona has an advantage on characters and story and that's pretty much it, and both of those are intertwined with S-Links.

Music is debatable because I feel that Battle For Everyone's Soul in P3 is better than anything in SMT.

Music is debatable because I feel that Battle For Everyone's Soul in P3 is better than anything in SMT.

Music is debatable but SMT IV's soundtrack is amazing. Both of those kind of also fit into the aesthetic of the game, Persona soundtracks are more upbeat and poppy while SMT IV's soundtrack is heavy and oppressive.
I do like Lotus Juice though

i'm not sure i like this revisionist history of persona suddenly being bad now

It's because Persona is more popular then mainline SMT now, it's pretty much the only game series I can think of where the spinoff got more popular then the main series that's not a direct continuation like Donkey Kong -> Donkey Kong Country or WarCraft -> WoW
I really don't think that threatens mainline in the least like some others do but to see Jack Frost get replaced by Teddie kind of hurts me a little bit

Soma

It's because Persona is more popular then mainline SMT now, it's pretty much the only game series I can think of where the spinoff got more popular then the main series that's not a direct continuation like Donkey Kong -> Donkey Kong Country or WarCraft -> WoW
I really don't think that threatens mainline in the least like some others do but to see Jack Frost get replaced by Teddie kind of hurts me a little bit

Yeah it blows to not see the mainline SMT series not get as much support especially since there's so much interesting history behind it.

Man I'd love another game for home consoles in the vein of Nocturne (the GOAT).

wonzo

Banned
i'm not sure i like this revisionist history of persona suddenly being bad now
3 + 4 are fun thanks to the strength of the characters but the series would be so much better if it dropped the babbys first dungeon crawling rpg aspect and fully embraced the s link relationship building stuff as its core mechanic

bring on style savvy persona imo

¯\_(ツ)_/¯ Seems like a contradiction to me.
the later two are even worse than the usual mediocre crap that fills gafs top tens

Looks legit:

B79DyN-CAAAoc_u.jpg

Director: Shinpei Miyashita
Character design & AD: Yoshiharu Sato
Screenplay: Hiroyuki Kawasaki

Looks cool.

No, it's Nippon Animation's 40th Anniversary project - "Sinbad - The Flying Princess and the Secret Island". However, the character design and animation is helmed by Yasuhiro Sato, who fulfilled those very same duties on Totoro and did key animation on many other Ghibli films.

Huh, didn't even know Nippon Animation was still around. They certainly haven't been particularly active the past few years.

Looks pretty. *searches director* Yeahok, staying away from this one unless it gets a lot of acclaim.

I don't understand that reaction. Shinpei Miyashita directed the best Anime Mirai short.

FluxWaveZ

Yeah it blows to not see the mainline SMT series not get as much support especially since there's so much interesting history behind it.

It might not be getting tons of spin-offs (yet it has one in development) and anime, but it's still one of Atlus' core series and relatively popular, at least. SMT and Persona are co-existing without one overtaking the other, and that's pretty cool. Maybe Deviliser will be that new SMT console experience.

Bad games didn't make list of slightly less bad games people look forward ~chu. News at 11.

Oh come on.

Syrinx

Would Criminal Girls even be eligible for that list since discussion of the game got banned wholesale?

Not like it would have made it anywhere near the list anyway since the only people interested are a select group of...uh...people.

Man I'd love another game for home consoles in the vein of Nocturne (the GOAT).

I wish a lot of the ones that never got brought over would get localized in some form like If...

And I think Persona's popularity by connection makes SMT more popular too, since some people will want to know the series roots.

It might not be getting tons of spin-offs (yet it has one in development) and anime, but it's still one of Atlus' core series and relatively popular, at least. SMT and Persona are co-existing without one overtaking the other, and that's pretty cool. Maybe Deviliser will be that new SMT console experience.

Oh come on.

Megami Tensei has a ludicrous amount of spinoffs already (SMT, DDS, Persona, Demikids, Last Bible, Devil Summoner, Majin Tensei, Raidou series, Devil Survivor) so even with Dancing All Night, Q, and Arena (which they should just put SMT characters like Raidou into it come on) it'll take a LONG time for Persona to truly eclipse Megami Tensei as a whole.
Megami Tensei is one of those series with an absurdly hard to follow release order because of the sheer amount, different names, localization and such. There's other series like that like Legend of Heroes and another JRPG series which is more confusing then both that I forget the name of.

Music is debatable but SMT IV's soundtrack is amazing. Both of those kind of also fit into the aesthetic of the game, Persona soundtracks are more upbeat and poppy while SMT IV's soundtrack is heavy and oppressive.
I do like Lotus Juice though

Okay the Teddie thing I do understand because screw Teddie he isn't even close to Jack Frost in awesomeness.

Though if there were one character that I would rather have to replace Jack Frost it would be.....

l6efAcY.jpg

Koromaru had better character development than Teddie.

FluxWaveZ

So, Golden Boy is best taken with Eng dub I recall reading?

I didn't watch subs, but the English dub was excellent.

Megami Tensei has a ludicrous amount of spinoffs already (SMT, DDS, Persona, Demikids, Last Bible, Devil Summoner, Majin Tensei, Raidou series, Devil Survivor) so even with Dancing All Night, Q, and Arena (which they should just put SMT characters like Raidou into it come on) it'll take a LONG time for Persona to truly eclipse Megami Tensei as a whole.

Oh, if we're talking Megami Tensei as a whole, that's obvious. Aside from the main SMT games, there'll always be a bunch of other stuff like Devil Survivor going on. Persona, originally a spin-off, became a notable brand on its own, but the rest will continue living on, so it's weird when people act hostile towards Persona like it's destroying those other games.

Shugo Chara 39

Looks like they found a completely white egg from the Super Market. My guess is that must be the Embryo.

Man,
I wonder how the fall out will be in regards to Whatshisface.

PK Gaming

tbh the waifu/hasubando vn stuff is the only reason why anyone would waste their time with the trash persona series. and if u play it for the pissweak rpg part of it then llllloool

Ahahahahaha you can't be serious

EDIT:

using neogaf top tens as bastions of quality and substance
hmyAquK.png

smt >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> persona

Ohhhhhh, I get it. You're an SMT elitist in lockdown mode. Geez... why do SMT elitists become hostile and stubborn when given a series of reasonable and logical remarks that are odds with their own perception? It's like the very idea of SMT co-existing with Persona is an impossibility. What's the point? Why even bother devoting yourself to dumping on Persona at every turn? Persona didn't kill SMT.

John Blade

Finish the show just now and all I can say it's an okay but a bit disappointed for me as it didn't live up the Forte show which is great to watch (not because of the Hentai). I don't know if this Anime should be recommend except for the fighting scene but even that is a hit or miss (as it ranch from boring to decent).

The story is okay and nothing much to say. I guess near the end of the show, the plot start to get decent with also decent character development in some characters. Still, an okay show to watch for the most part.

cajunator

Banned
Ranko pre-dates Yurika. Just saying.

And gothic lolita style predates them both so he is doubly wrong hehee

I really like this art style

Really Japan, Fury's BD going to include this?
http://www.amazon.co.jp/gp/product/B00S8721UO/

Mc1ABE1.jpg

This is pretty fantastic. Not Fury, the other thing.

I have no idea where to ask this so I'll ask here.
Want to watch an anime with a good female protagonist and I don't want any mecha or magical girl so just a regular person I suppose. I would prefer her to be an adult and set in the present day.

I've only watched a handful of anime so you can probably recommend anything and I will have not seen it

Paranoia Agent
Planetes
Kinos Journey
hmm... Youre Under Arrest is quite old but has two fun female protags who are police.

Yessssssssssssssssssssssssss

Shugo Chara 40

YEAH! TELL YOUR PARENTS THEY'RE SHIT! SHIIIIIIT

And holy fuck, Tadase and Amu are practically at deredere mode at this point. If only if Amu stopped thinking about other boys!

SHOE DROP FINALLY FUCKING HAPPENED!

John Blade

Look like I will be going to watch Southern Cross or AKA: The Robotech Masters if you follow the Robotech series. The funny part of this is I never watch both the Robotech masters and The New Generation as I stick with the 1st show. Heard about the difference when I was younger and manage to get the ADV Southern Cross DVD. Going to see how good or bad this original show age now.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom