• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Winter Anime 2015 |OT| ZA WARUDO is not square!

Status
Not open for further replies.

PK Gaming

YUKI YUNA IS A HERO Episode 9

I'm pretty sure the episode title refers to the
viewer's grief

Now if you'll excuse me, i'll be sobbing in a corner

firehawk12

Subete no aware
The Wind Rises

Better than I expected, but the love-tragedy sideplot was very gratuitous.
Since I don't think anyone here actually read Kaze Tachinu, I wonder if it's saying too much to suggest that the movie is as much about celebrating the author of the book upon the sanitarium plot was based as it is about celebrating Jiro.

Its a test! Also god is an asshole like that.
Seems like a paradox!

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
Since I don't think anyone here actually read Kaze Tachinu, I wonder if it's saying too much to suggest that the movie is as much about celebrating the author of the book upon the sanitarium plot was based as it is about celebrating Jiro.

It just wasn't strong enough. Nahoko's character was flimsy in more ways than one, and their contrived reunion + ensuing romance was also on the weak side. It's not the existence of the sideplot that I dislike, but that it was poorly executed. I cared about Jiro, the engineer. I did not really care for Jiro, the husband to a wife dying of tuberculosis.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
You'd know if only you'd watched The Fault in Our Stars!!
So Votoms ends in the Anne Frank museum?

It just wasn't strong enough. Nahoko's character was flimsy in more ways than one, and their contrived reunion + ensuing romance wasn't sufficiently padded. It's not the existence of the sideplot itself that I dislike, but that it was poorly executed. I cared about Jiro, the engineer. I did not really care for Jiro, the husband to a wife dying of tuberculosis.
Well, the reading I saw somewhere is that the inclusion of that storyline is to celebrate the process of writing a novel. I guess the question becomes how well known Kaze Tachinu is as a work or Hori Tatsuo as an author who wrote during the same period of time as Jiro. Certainly the film makes a point of crediting Tatsuo's work anyway.

someone make a shoujo watch for an old anime like Kare Kano or other 80s/90s shoujo.
I'd probably wouldn't mind rewatching that either. lol

Haly

Well, the reading I saw somewhere is that the inclusion of that storyline is to celebrate the process of writing a novel. I guess the question becomes how well known Kaze Tachinu is as a work or Hori Tatsuo as an author who wrote during the same period of time as Jiro. Certainly the film makes a point of crediting Tatsuo's work anyway.

I want to see this reading that interprets a girl dying of tuberculosis as the writing of a novel.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
I want to see this reading that interprets a girl dying of tuberculosis as the writing of a novel.
It's the fact that the film is an adaptation combined with the fact that you're left unsure about how much of this is based on Jiro's life, if anything.

That's where the real VOTOMS begins.
So would a Votoms also be a Beiber maniac or whatever he signed in that guest book?

Haly

It's the fact that the film is an adaptation combined with the fact that you're left unsure about how much of this is based on Jiro's life, if anything.

Even in a vacuum, divorced from all external and historical context, the sideplot would've been weak.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
Even in a vacuum, divorced from all external and historical context, the sideplot would've been weak.
I mean, I guess it depends on what you see the film as trying to do. I don't think it even necessarily has an obvious narrative arc, since it emphasizes the process (and given the film's ending).

Narag

Ahh, I get it now. Unsure if it's due to always assuming it was prologue or just never connecting it with Chirico because I'm terrible about that sort of thing but yeah, this sets him up perfectly.

jF3yZoYl.png
dMQDg5ql.png

IsfeJgFl.png
xWUxDkgl.png

rAvUsJIl.png
2BShNdVl.png

sonicmj1

Ahh, I get it now. Unsure if it's due to always assuming it was prologue or just never connecting it with Chirico because I'm terrible about that sort of thing but yeah, this sets him up perfectly.

Yeah, I thought that prologue was a really effective setup. The details don't matter, but it seems to perfectly capture who Chirico is in the context of what's happening around him.

Quasar

Series impressions

Madan no Ou to Vanadis could have been better , they should have followed the source material better . Overall i have to admit that most of the changes they made are for the most part : better , but i really dislike all the stuff they cut.
Some of the leftovers was used for vanadi-chu, the chibi anime , but goddamit , so much was left on the road.

For me it worked enough that I've now started reading the book that follows on from the end. Am kind of bummed that they separate Tigre from everyone pretty much straight away.

Anyway, I guess if I was Japanese the series worked as planned (getting me to want to read the books).

Quasar

Tried to get back to Durararara so I can finish it all before S2 starts. Instead got side tracked by MangaGAF into re-watching Majikoi instead.

I find it rather pleasant.

Haly

I mean, I guess it depends on what you see the film as trying to do. I don't think it even necessarily has an obvious narrative arc, since it emphasizes the process (and given the film's ending).

Once I saw the failed Falcon test, I had strong feeling that the movie would end on Jiro designing his dream plane and putting it to flight. So the arc was:

Inspiration > Study > Work > Learn from Glorious German Engineering > Trial and Error > Success.

Which is great, very strong, because it is a perfect allegory for any kind of creative work. Except what actually happened in the movie was:

Inspiration > Childhood Promise > Study > Work > Learn from Glorious German Engineering > Tearful reunion five years later > Trial and Error > Success > Secret Base.

D

Deleted member 22576

Unconfirmed Member

DAng what show is this. This is my show.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
It certainly wasn't structured like a mockumentary. Once I saw the failed Falcon test, I had an inkling that the movie would end on Jiro designing his dream plane and putting it to flight. So the arc, for me, was:

Inspiration > Study > Work > Learn from Glorious German Engineering > Trial and Error > Success.

Except what actually happened in the movie was:

Inspiration > Childhood Promise > Study > Work > Learn from Glorious German Engineering > Tearful reunion five years later > Trial and Error > Success > Secret Base.
Well, not for nothing, but the
surrealistic dream ending
would point to the film being anything but a straightforward story about designing the Zero.

So this is happy new year picture from wargaming, what kind of company are they now.
GuP and KanColle ruined military otakuism for everyone.

Haly

Well, not for nothing, but the
surrealistic dream ending
would point to the film being anything but a straightforward story about designing the Zero.

I thought the dreams were very straightforward, actually a little bit too blunt because Miyazaki needed to shoehorn in his trademark "whimsical and wizened elderly mentor" character, twice! Once in Caproni and again in the German duder.

Zolf

I really need to watch VOTOMS; a long time ago I was given a free VHS at Anime Expo that had some random episodes of the Jungle arc (at least I assume that's what it was since it was in the jungle and had a very Vietnam War-ish vibe), and while I had no context for what was going on considering I hadn't seen any other parts of the show, I remember enjoying it quite a bit.

sonicmj1

DAng what show is this. This is my show.

It's some goddamn Armored Trooper VOTOMS. And now's the perfect time to start! Because...

Heads up to people -

me, sonicmj1, and wonzo are starting a VOTOMS watch and if anyone wants to join, they're welcome to after going through an extensive background check (fee: 345$). We're doing 3 episodes a week for three weeks, and then 4 episodes for the fourth, as the show goes through 13-episode arcs.

So by the 11th of January, you should be up to episode 3, and by the 18th, up to episode 6, etc. Feel free to watch it whenever but talking about it on Sunday is encouraged to drive up noise and to strongarm random moe fans into watching manly mecha shows.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
I thought the dreams were very straightforward, actually a little bit too blunt because Miyazaki needed to shoehorn in his trademark "whimsical and wizened elderly mentor" character, twice! Once in Caproni and again in the German duder.
Yeah, but I mean, he's being taken to be
reunited with his wife while being left to wonder about his legacy
. There are plain (heh) ways to end a film that would be meant to be biographical, but really, I still think the film is Miyazaki coming as close as he can to creating an autobiography.

Armored Trooper VOTOMS

Up to Strike Witches to save it.
You and your pantsless fetish.

Lafiel

と呼ぶがよい
The Wind Rises

Better than I expected, but the love-tragedy sideplot was very gratuitous.

My biggest problem with The Wind Rises is it doesn't take the political implications of the premise seriously enough. I.E it's a film about a guy who spends all his creative energy creating war machines.. and the consequences of that are never fully explored in great depth.

Narag

Pff, context.

Besides, all that does is make me :firehawk about all the people who used to post here. I mean, at one point Strike Witches was the anime of the generation according to AnimeGAF. lol

Unannounced S3 will the anime of the generation of the next generation of AnimeGAF. You can be Sarek and hang around though.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
Unannounced S3 will the anime of the generation of the next generation of AnimeGAF. You can be Sarek and hang around though.
http://neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=22627077&postcount=5634

RIP Cowie. Already feeling nostalgic for old AnimeGAF. lol

(Those K-On quotes are still relevant!)

My biggest problem with The Wind Rises is it doesn't take the political implications of the premise seriously enough. I.E it's a film about a guy who spends all his creative energy creating war machines.. and the consequences of that are never fully explored in great depth.
Watch Eien no Zero. lol

firehawk12

Subete no aware
This is the last time I'm going to post this!
I did my part, I'm the best recruit officer.
I don't understand that picture. :p

The flip side is that Sentai is probably going to sell that GooP OVA all on its own for 40 bucks, so who knows. lol

"In time you will realise that Strike Witches is the voice of the generation"
BY GOD THEY WERE RIGHT.
Cowie was the hero we didn't deserve... or however that goes.

Haly

My biggest problem with The Wind Rises is it doesn't take the political implications of the premise seriously enough
lol

"I don't like that this movie wasn't what I thought it should be."

fertygo

That's not the point of story at all..

Btw I like it better than Bamboo Princess

BGBW

Maturity, bitches.
God dang, I just started watching Sword Art Online and its my favorite show ever. I've seen 5 episodes so far. Man this shit is good.
This guy here has some of the best taste in this thread.

To be fair, I've seen shows release here that I see as a lost cause to release but apparently people buy them! Watamote being a recent example. Would a show like that really sell to a wide audience in the UK? I know it was/is popular but still...doesn't seem like the type of show one would buy on a format like Blu-ray, meanwhile the same distributor releases a show like Michiko & Hatchin only on DVD? Strange decision. Michiko & Hatchin was also released on Blu-ray in the US and from what I heard, both the picture and sound quality was pretty decent on it and the US copy was region A/B (maybe that's why?)...
Thanks for this. I'll read through it in detail when I'm a bit more wake. Though the comment about Ghibli reminds me that I was given The Wind Rises BD for Christmas and it includes the DVD as well which I thought was interesting since I though that practise had finished.

Yes, I am aware the UK Ghibil copies are apparently the worst in the world but it was a present from my dear mother so I'm not going to complain.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom