• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Winter Anime 2015 |OT| ZA WARUDO is not square!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
Only Yesterday was ruined by Miyazaki, and made it obvious that he's a talentless hack like M. Night Shyamaladingdong.

Clov

I need to give Only Yesterday a second viewing. I loved it the first time, and it was my favorite Takahata work before Kaguya. I need to see which one I like more.

Speaking of Takahata films, the only one I've yet to see is Gauche the Cellist. I ought to get on that while I have time.

Jarmel

Banned
It just wasn't strong enough. Nahoko's character was flimsy in more ways than one, and their contrived reunion + ensuing romance was also on the weak side. It's not the existence of the sideplot that I dislike, but that it was poorly executed. I cared about Jiro, the engineer. I did not really care for Jiro, the husband to a wife dying of tuberculosis.

Yea that was cliche as fuck. I feel like I've seen that upteempth times and I knew exactly, like down to the scene, what would happen. It's really generic and the direction does the subplot no favors.

Shard

XBLAnnoyance
Sailor Moon Mondays: Sailor Moon R: Episode 69

Oh Jesus Christ this was a tedious episode as the dreaded Mamoru Break Up subplot rears its ugly head and takes over the episode to the merriment of none and the boredom of all. The baseline concept is sound, Mamoru has nightmares of Usagi dying and is forced to stay away until it can be determined if the portent has any merit. It is just the execution is some of the most hacky, third rate sitcom writing I have encountered in a good while. Mamoru basically acts like a cast member of Friends in every attempt to get Usagi to detach, including forcing real emotional damage down her throat and forcing us the poor audience to writhe in the cheap melodrama.

That is really at the core here, it is less about the mystery of the vision or Mamoru torn choices and more about recapturing the boyfriend chase and fairy tail motifs seen in the first season to truly abhorrent results. Even without the advanced knowledge that is still commonplace the series itself undercuts the gloomy break up by showing they are true lovers and it is all just so fucking hollow. Everything else was so token and rote and done in the service of this cancerous tumor of a storyline and it all feels so painfully dull. Yea, didn't like this episode, highest recommendation to avoid.

Yuki Yuna 9

Alright, getting closer to what I want.

Togo is fuckin nuts and I love it. Best character by far.

Nice despair eyes accented by some damn effective music placement. First time I actually felt the drama, which is more than I can say for the rest of the show. Expecting at least a bit more of this before the supposed bullshit ending.

Cross Ange 13

Anyone else got End Of Evangelion vibes from this ep, mainly with how the forces invaded Arzenal?

Yeah, I put a EoE gif even.

Even that couldn't get you to watch Utena.

I actually want to try to watch Utena again.

It just wasn't strong enough. Nahoko's character was flimsy in more ways than one, and their contrived reunion + ensuing romance was also on the weak side. It's not the existence of the sideplot that I dislike, but that it was poorly executed. I cared about Jiro, the engineer. I did not really care for Jiro, the husband to a wife dying of tuberculosis.

I agree the character was flimsy and the reunion contrived, but I think the ensuing romance was ok.

Since I don't think anyone here actually read Kaze Tachinu, I wonder if it's saying too much to suggest that the movie is as much about celebrating the author of the book upon the sanitarium plot was based as it is about celebrating Jiro.

I also don't see the relation between a normal romance/tragedy plot in a movie and the specific process of writing a book. I just think it was put to complete the movie and make it less dry (a dude sitting drawing wings for planes all day) and more personal. More mainstream, let's say it.
We could also say the it creates a nice dynamic of Jiro having to choose between the work and his spouse sometimes, and the eventual sense of loss for Jiro makes a parallel with the rest of the movie (life and love is worth living even if you know it will go to an eventual tragedy), art is worth creating and passion is worth following even if it leads to bitterness and destruction.

My biggest problem with The Wind Rises is it doesn't take the political implications of the premise seriously enough. I.E it's a film about a guy who spends all his creative energy creating war machines.. and the consequences of that are never fully explored in great depth.

While it never tackle the subject explicitly, it's always present on the mind's viewer implicitly, imo, you as a viewer can piece together the inherent conflict on the passion of creation for itself and the fact that said creation will have militaristic uses.

fertygo

I don't know the last act despite cliche and predictable to me felt very strongly directed to me with scene having very few dialogue and letting the gesture and mood dictating the story, I teared up at the end.

And btw "predictable" is kinda the message for Jirou life choice, from decision that he pick, he and audience all knew along its can be only ended that way.

1. He married to sickly woman
2. He know he building war device

All decision that you should know the consequence behind it, and you should decide to chase it or not despite the bitterness awaiting.

TheRancor

Only Yesterday > Kaguyahime.
A3ISTH5.jpg

Shard

XBLAnnoyance
Sailor Moon Mondays: Sailor Moon R: Episode 69:

So on the other end of the spectrum we have this episode, which I will say right now is one of the best episodes of I have seen with refreshed eyes. Seemingly in direct contrast to the tepid drama of a love we have seen much in the way of exploration already this episode ruminates on the nature of love in its wider berth which is a welcome respite. Rei gets the focus this episode since she is the one who has the closest thing to a relationship with a guy among the supporting cast. I do admit the Yuchiro-Rei relationship is one that vexes and yet at the same time intrigues me since it is so damned unconventional. Rei has expressed no interest in dating him or harboring romantic feelings yet is still on good terms and care for him as a friend and Yochiro despite carrying a torch for her is actually fine being just friends, it is actually rather interesting to watch at times, other time it does come across as a tad pathetic, usually when Rei is using him as a doormat.

At any rate we must be getting close to the end of the arc since things are getting out of formula
and indeed the first of the Specter Sisters falls in battle as she comes to understand the relationship she has with Rubius was a lie predicated on narcissistic thinking and it is actually pretty sad to watch, churning up emotions this series has not managed to conjure up all season up to this point.
I will say that for as many things as Sailor Moon R got wrong, it really did bring a set of really compelling villains to the table that are a step up from The Dark Kingdom. Finally, something that I am noticing is that they seem to be pairing Minako with Makoto a lot this arc, seems to be partially out of a lack of ideas and partly an attempt to create a Those Two Guys situation. Anyway, highest recommendations to watch this episode.

^
That movement looks wacky, like the weight is all wrong and...in the second gif the guy seems to lag thanks to a bad internet connection or s.th.

Overall, not really impressive whatsoever...?

Turn A Gundam 1-4

xIlBEXk.jpg
9URthib.jpg

Something Something Loran still naked Something Something Sochie

I'm not sure what I expected from the start of this gundam series since I went in blind knowing nothing about it but that's how I do every gundam series. The start is totally different than I was expecting considering the way all the other gundam series have started. Instead of some hyper advanced technology, Earth tech is on the level of the early 1900s and at the beginning there isn't even any kind of mention of gundams and such.
I'll admit this is a pretty slow start so far even at episode 3-4 when so real stuff starts going down its still rather low-level stuff and nothing has escalated to full scale war.

Not a whole lot more to say thusfar, but the premise has me interested so I'll continue on with this.

~WAN WAN WAN

Sakurasou - 01-03

Okay these first couple episodes were undisguised ecchi with a bunch of unrealistic, sex hungry exhibitionists, of whom the MC is obviously totally scared. To make matters better (read: worse) one of the girls is apparently 'special' and does indeed appear to be somewhat autistic which is disgusting when she serves as fanservice.

Then in the second half of episode 3 the show actually tries to introduce some dramatic angle to it at which point, no thank you. These aren't human characters, there's are poorly written ecchi entities, are you seriously trying to get me to empathize via some heavy handed drama?

Bye shit show, bye Kirito voice actor!

Sakurasou - 01-03

Okay these first couple episodes were undisguised ecchi with a bunch of unrealistic, sex hungry exhibitionists, of whom the MC is obviously totally scared. To make matters better (read: worse) one of the girls is apparently 'special' and does indeed appear to be somewhat autistic which is disgusting when she serves as fanservice.

Then in the second half of episode 3 the show actually tries to introduce some dramatic angle to it at which point, no thank you. These aren't human characters, there's are poorly written ecchi entities, are you seriously trying to get me to empathize via some heavy handed drama?

Bye shit show, bye Kirito voice actor!
You have done yourself a service. I unfortunately watched the entire series.

~wan

Himegoto 1-13

8B0.gif
That was quite a lewd anime that I'm a little embarrassed to have seen. I don't know why I'm admitting it now...

I don't think I've ever seen as much "manservice" or I guess boyservice in an anime.

The part I didn't like most was the... you guess what. They could have made an anime like that with just as much sexualization or whichever, without all the
rape danger and threatening.
But I know that a lot of people aren't as upset by that as I am...

I was actually able to finish it, though. Unlike Lately, My Sister Is Unusual. Which I dropped during the first episode because of what it had...

wonzo

Banned
Dog Days 7-13 END

Honestly this show took a turn for the worse at the end of episode 6 thanks to it taking itself far too seriously. Show never really recovered back to its nice and relaxing state beforehand but in the spite of that I enjoyed it. Hopefully S2 learns from these mistakes and keeps things on the up-and-up, either way I'll find out pretty soon!

You know what I meant....Anime shows included as well.
yes and it still makes you wrong

duckroll

Marvel pretty much is the reason I watch anime. It was my escape from the supers glut which in the cinema at least was mostly Marvel driven.

Hahahahahhaaha. Dealwithit sucker! I hope Marvel catches on more in Japan soon so all big anime by 2016 are Marvel shows. :D

Saiyar

Unconfirmed Member
Dog Days 7-13 END

Honestly this show took a turn for the worse at the end of episode 6 thanks to it taking itself far too seriously. Show never really recovered back to its nice and relaxing state beforehand but in the spite of that I enjoyed it. Will watch S2 ASAP so I can be in time for S3!

S2 doesn't have any serious parts and is much better for it.

cajunator

Banned
I want to see this reading that interprets a girl dying of tuberculosis as the writing of a novel.

Theres that certain series with a little girl dying of throat cancer who wants to be a singer.

Well, not for nothing, but the
surrealistic dream ending
would point to the film being anything but a straightforward story about designing the Zero.

GuP and KanColle ruined military otakuism for everyone.

It didnt ruin anything. It opened up military otakuism to new markets!

That's my complaint with KyoAni anime nowadays. But it's more like

"I don't like that this show wasn't what I thought it should be, that being actually good"

Truthfully though, outside of K-on and parts of Hyouka, KyoAni really hasnt made anything outstanding. Im not sure where their reputation for high class prowess came from.

Dandte

Along with the anime you recommended me i started Amagami SS, interesting first episode, development in the second ep with mature acting characters,........pls let me kiss the back of your knee like a puppy...ok i will let him spoil me, in epsiode 3...eh??!
I fear i started a weird fetish anime...

Dog Days 7-13 END

Honestly this show took a turn for the worse at the end of episode 6 thanks to it taking itself far too seriously. Show never really recovered back to its nice and relaxing state beforehand but in the spite of that I enjoyed it. Hopefully S2 learns from these mistakes and keeps things on the up-and-up, either way I'll find out pretty soon!

yes and it still makes you wrong

wrong about what

somebody sell me on Agents of Shield. Next superhero show I tackle will be the Flash but duckroll hype is never wrong (...).

Also please, sword of the stranger best sweet fights.
ZecNWFI.gif

Naruto? Naru-NO!

Off topic from the above but can somebody remind me the name of this anime movie dealing with two orphan kids in a colorful noir-esque somewhat futuristic world? Art style is abstract-ish, looks a bit like Yuasa. Name of the movie was kind of hard to spell.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom