• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Winter Anime 2015 |OT| ZA WARUDO is not square!

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm just getting a huge kick out of how to true to form it is. I was at work today thinking about it and caught myself calling it a game. Its pretty clever. I'm still kinda just getting into anime/manga so I don't have a ton of reference for quality.

Well if you need Anime recommendations, you've come to the right place. Here a few must-watch shows.

Full Metal Panic
Trigun
Black Lagoon
Hellsing Ultimate
Ghost in the Shell: Stand Alone Complex
Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya
Azumanga Daioh

I don't know what kind of tastes you have but between any of these shows you should find something to your liking.

cajunator

Banned
It's a very short scene, but if they showed this exactly like in the manga or with added detail, it could easily come across as slightly more explicit than what you're indicating.

I'm getting the impression that the Maria anime staff is wisely choosing to suggest rather than show certain things, going by the first episode, so they might either skip that scene or just make it more implicit.

Though it must be said that I did find table-kun hilarious enough to not be bothered by it back in the day.

Shame, that allergy to CLAMP also means you probably didn't watch or read Magic Knight Rayearth either.

Magic Knight Rayearth is great.
classic anime!

I'm just getting a huge kick out of how to true to form it is. I was at work today thinking about it and caught myself calling it a game. Its pretty clever. I'm still kinda just getting into anime/manga so I don't have a ton of reference for quality.

Guess tossing in other stuff

Yu Yu Hakusho (I need to shut up about this)
Ojamajo Doremi (do not let its looks fool you, it is surprisingly more mature than you'd think)
Gintama
Gun x Sword

cajunator

Banned
On Episode 13 on Full Metal Panic!. Liking it so far. Man...I am literally going through the show too fast this weekend.

For the Manga, is it worth reading it and how about the light novel as I did saw this when I check the wiki.

Show is simple to watch. Its so addicting and well paced. Even I was able to get through it with no delay or pausing.

Gundam Build Fighters - 01
Hmmmmm. I'm of two minds about this. I'm definitely enjoying the fighting sequences but I'm having the similar problem of a weird disconnect between the battles and reality that I felt in Summer Wars; the actions towards the fantasy aspect are too over dramatic and inconsistent with the real world. Like Reiji appearing in the booth from nowhere but literally no-one seeing him arrive.

Aside from that because no-one really cares about that. get rekt Gyankid. Your gunpla got fucked up as punishment for basically walking into someone else's house, bullying the shit out of them, breaking their stuff and then saying "hey, want to be my friend?". What a jerk.

Sei's pretty simple though. He went from wanting to be a fighter to just wanting someone to fight for him.

Wait till Aila shows up! The show gets even better.
I was really familiar with the formula due to Angelic Layer. It feels extremely similar.

Narag

Armored Trooper VOTOMS 1

FmumfFol.png
KHUQ3F9l.png
ytHpgIQl.png

Man, it's so weird going back to this first episode after not watching it in forever. There's this picture in my mind of Chirico being this hardass and it's hard to reconcile him ever being as green as he's shown in the beginning of this episode. One can certainly see how he becomes after being betrayed and tortured as he was though. I wouldn't trust anyone again after that kind of trauma. Chirico da best!!!!!!!

firehawk12

Subete no aware
Heads up to people -

me, sonicmj1, and wonzo are starting a VOTOMS watch and if anyone wants to join, they're welcome to after going through an extensive background check (fee: 345$). We're doing 3 episodes a week for three weeks, and then 4 episodes for the fourth, as the show goes through 13-episode arcs.

So by the 11th of January, you should be up to episode 3, and by the 18th, up to episode 6, etc. Feel free to watch it whenever but talking about it on Sunday is encouraged to drive up noise and to strongarm random moe fans into watching manly mecha shows.
When's the shoujo watch??

javac

Welcome to the NHK gave me so many feels. Just finished it. The soundtrack was pretty good too.

One of my faves :) It's funny because I didn't really shed any tears during the show, but a week later I was casually listening to the OST and while listening to Kagerou Ressha I teared up badly. Even now I have some tears in me eyes and a smile on my face. Such a great show, the middle part did drag a tiny bit and the ending wasn't as effective as it could have been but I loved the show to bits. An all time great for sure.

Cross Ange 13

Anyone else got End Of Evangelion vibes from this ep, mainly with how the forces invaded Arzenal?

Since there are references to things like Gundam I wouldn't be surprised if they took some inspiration from other mecha series as well.

I'm glad that Momoka
didn't die though. After seeing her go behind the cafeteria counter to get water I thought she was going to die for sure.

That takes place before!!

Actually it takes place throughout the entire show and Chirico makes a cameo in the OVA.

Hmpf

Man, it's so weird going back to this first episode after not watching it in forever. There's this picture in my mind of Chirico being this hardass and it's hard to reconcile him ever being as green as he's shown in the beginning of this episode. One can certainly see how he becomes after being betrayed and tortured as he was though. I wouldn't trust anyone again after that kind of trauma. Chirico da best!!!!!!!

Yep this dude that breakouts of a military prison and machine guns down half the guards sure is green.

Narag

firehawk12

Subete no aware
What? But?

How?

I'm confused.
It's not really. It only has some of the tropes. I mean, you might as well say that it's mahou shoujo as well.

I'm talking about stuff like Hana Yori Dango or Tenshi na Konamaiki. The 90s era long running romance anime with a clear beginning, middle and end.
Heck, outside of like... Kaichou wa Maid-sama, I don't think we've had a 2-cour shoujo in a while either.

fertygo

It's not really. It only has some of the tropes. I mean, you might as well say that it's mahou shoujo as well.

I'm talking about stuff like Hana Yori Dango or Tenshi na Konamaiki. The 90s era long running romance anime with a clear beginning, middle and end.
Heck, outside of like... Kaichou wa Maid-sama, I don't think we've had a 2-cour shoujo in a while either.

This sound like arbitrary definition that made up by yourself.

Clov

Know how Aniplex handles reprints (which is to say no reprints, ever), probably not without spending even more than what Aniplex charged for.

Actually, this isn't quite right. Aniplex of America's Kara no Kyoukai BD release was an import, as in it was the exact same release that Japan got. While I believe that collector's edition is discontinued even in Japan, there is another edition of the films still in print. As the discs are the exact same as the Japanese discs, you can just import a set from your Japanese retailer of choice.

Mind you, the newest movie does not have English subtitles, but the 7 included in the set (plus the OVA) should.

Edit: Actually, it might have finally gone out of print in Japan. Can't seem to find them anymore. Hmm...

Edit 2: Never mind, found them on Amazon.

Himemiya

Let's not take a shoujo classic and pretend it wasn't aimed at girls when it was made.

kayos90

Tragic victim of fan death
Actually, this isn't quite right. Aniplex of America's Kara no Kyoukai BD release was an import, as in it was the exact same release that Japan got. While I believe that collector's edition is discontinued even in Japan, there is another edition of the films still in print. As the discs are the exact same as the Japanese discs, you can just import a set from your Japanese retailer of choice.

Mind you, the newest movie does not have English subtitles, but the 7 included in the set (plus the OVA) should.

Edit: Actually, it might have finally gone out of print in Japan. Can't seem to find them anymore. Hmm...

Edit 2: Never mind, found them on Amazon.

So... I never used Amazon JP. How do I go about getting these....

sonicmj1

Heads up to people -

me, sonicmj1, and wonzo are starting a VOTOMS watch and if anyone wants to join, they're welcome to after going through an extensive background check (fee: 345$). We're doing 3 episodes a week for three weeks, and then 4 episodes for the fourth, as the show goes through 13-episode arcs.

So by the 11th of January, you should be up to episode 3, and by the 18th, up to episode 6, etc. Feel free to watch it whenever but talking about it on Sunday is encouraged to drive up noise and to strongarm random moe fans into watching manly mecha shows.

Yep. I watched the first episode today, and it was some no-nonsense awesomeness. It's actually a very efficient setup.

VOTOMS is among the oldest TV anime I've watched. It's a very different style from what I'm used to, and you can see all the shortcuts they have to take to make it work, but there's something about the coloring that's a really nice change of pace.

Well, if that's what you wanted, you should have mentioned stock high school romance, because Utena's absolutely a shoujo.

CorvoSol

Armored Trooper VOTOMS 1

I feel like it's more that in that first episode Chirico is uninformed. Doesn't he get out of prison not long after that?

Narag

I feel like it's more that in that first episode Chirico is uninformed. Doesn't he get out of prison not long after that?

Yeah, he does as Lostconfused said. It's just strange to me, having not seen ithis in forever, how he just went along with things. I suppose he still bought into the system then.

My problem is having not seen this in forever and just going off of memory. Might end up like Cowboy Bebop where it feels like I'm watching it for the first time again!

firehawk12

Subete no aware
Well, when you're talking about something in the context of Votoms, which I take as a classic mecha series, I figured that it would be taken for granted that I would mean shoujos born from the Dezaki period and not outliers. :p

Besides, not to be pedantic, but I figure it would make sense that I'm talking about form and not demographics. When Gekkan "Shoujo" Nozaki-kun is making fun of "shoujo" tropes, I don't see them as poking fun at Utena or Penguindrum.

So I ended up watching Blue Exorcist and it was good not great but good.

The OST was really brilliant, I mean really really good. The Openings were also splendid.

Opening 1
http://youtu.be/dj0hPiE8qpA

I just love how energetic this Opening is. Also UVERworld are fuckin great, they also did an opening for D-Gray Man.

I might end up reading the manga since I've heard people say it diverged from it's source material.

Though I gotta ask why does A-1 love doing this to many manga adaptions?

Narag

Well, when you're talking about something in the context of Votoms, which I take as a classic mecha series, I figured that it would be taken for granted that I would mean shoujos born from the Dezaki period and not outliers. :p

votoms is the greatest romance ever told though.

Yeah, he does as Lostconfused said.

To be honest I had the same impression. At the start of the episode there is only a throwaway line telling us about Chirico's past. He doesn't make much of an impression until later in the episode.

To me it just seems like he is reluctant to fight because he has no reason to fight. Very much of his reluctant personality stems from his lack of drive or motivation for anything.

Narag

Between a man and his robot, I'm sure.

No, between two fated lovers separated by fate!!

To be honest I had the same impression. At the start of the episode there is only a throwaway line telling us about Chirico's past. He doesn't make much of an impression until later in the episode.

To me it just seems like he is reluctant to fight because he has no reason to fight. Very much of his reluctant personality stems from his lack of drive or motivation for anything.

Thinking back to the ep, I guess that's the point of the imagery during his initial torture scene, recollections of his deeds that have led him to a more disaffected state which is the term I should have rolled with rather than green.

Ultimately I'm at the mercy of those with fresher experience with the show though!

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
The Wind Rises

Better than I expected, but the love-tragedy sideplot was very gratuitous.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom