• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Winter Anime 2015 |OT| ZA WARUDO is not square!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Narag

Look like I will be going to watch Southern Cross or AKA: The Robotech Masters if you follow the Robotech series. The funny part of this is I never watch both the Robotech masters and The New Generation as I stick with the 1st show. Heard about the difference when I was younger and manage to get the ADV Southern Cross DVD. Going to see how good or bad this original show age now.

That's a reminder I should finally open that Mospaeda dvd set, ~chu.

Firemind

Shigatsu wa Kimi no Uso #14

9m9RGWP.gif

(I think I'll be using this a lot over the course of the show.)

#teamtsubaki

Shirobako - 15

Huh. Pretty sure I'd have a mental breakdown at that point and call off work for several days. Fuck that author and his editor.

duckroll

Animator Expo #10 - YAMADELOID

Hahahahahaha. A music video starring Koichi Yamadera! If you ever wanted to see what it would be like to see an animated Yamadera sing, fight, and dance his way through some crazy shit, now's your chance! Hahahaha. Damn, my sides hurt. That was pretty entertaining even though it wasn't anything like what I expected.

Animator's Expo 10: Yamadeloid

I can picture the brainstorming sessions for this. "And then we'll have them randomly transform into giant robots, because giant robots are cool!"

Pretty nice character designs and art style, at any rate.

survivor

Banned
space dandy 5, 6, 7, 9, 10

I have already watched episode 9 when it aired, but decided to rewatch it again to see if it still holds up and it was still great. Choi and rest of Yuasa's gang managed to create a vibrant and creative surreal alien world and it was enjoyable to watch. Episodes 6 and 7 were pretty terrible. Dumb battle between two aliens and a racing episode that didn't do anything exciting or creative.

Episode 5 was a nice change of pace from the usual space adventures even though there was a little emotional disconnect during some scenes. Episode 10 had a nice exploration of the time loop concept, didn't feel as effective as I hoped it would, Meow's relationship with his family still felt shallow by the end, but it was a decent effort.

Shugo Chara 43

Finally, the end of Utau and Sanjo. That was quite some time getting this one resolved.

What will go down with these Easter motherfuckers now?

Bought a new shelf for the blurays early this month. It's missing the DVDs and the NISA Sets.

Team Fafner! And Guilty Crown, and DRRR. I love the DRRR lunchbox.

I need to get a shelf, link to yours? Many of my anime is stackes on the floor. Though I need a new queen memfoam matress and march p3m2 and games like hardline and ff type o will force me to delay the shelf.

Pancakes

hot, steaming, as melted butter slips into the cracks, drizzled with sticky sweet syrup OH GOD
Amiibos are one hell of a gateway drug. Next stop, scantily clad figures in suggestive poses.

I swear, I'm only buying those to support the industry >_>. (Palutena amiibo when)

Reconguista in G 17

Whenever they say "Kashiba Mikoshi" I think they're saying Mikoshiba.

So if I understand this, the moon residents are also under the control of the photon battery suppliers who are a different faction?

Shugo Chara 44

Motherfucker. It was a recap episode. But not just any recap episode, IT WAS A RECAP EPISODE WITH NEW CONTENT! The worst kind of episode ever.

And the ending was shoujo as fuck

jbug617

Banned

e_i

Saekano episode 2

Megumi. Best character? Or BEST CHARACTER? How can such a boring character be so great? How?! The diner scene is genius. Complete genius.

Shugo Chara 45

It's like the show remembers Amu's biggest fanboy, and just went "Dawg, you ain't got a chance, but I'll set you up with someone else yo diggity", and they did.

I was thinking she'd be the surprise embyro holder for a moment, but she wasn't.

Actually, since the two main easter people are out, what's about to go down?

Crocodile

So I finished Terror in Resonance the other day. I got busy so I had to stop halfway through the show and couldn't come back into now. Overall I liked it. Lisa also really grew on me. Initially I was annoyed by the character but over time I grew to appreciate her and respect that her actions essentially made sense within the context that she really was just an average high-schooler caught in some extra-ordinary circumstances. The fact that she also ends up being
"the survivor" who remembers and is able to recount the story of Nine and Twelve post-mortem makes her especially relevant to the story

Art was great, animation was great, direction was usually on point. My biggest issue with the show was.........Five. What in the world was the point of her character? Who in their fucking mind thought it would be a good idea to give that nutjob so much power? She does some whacked out shit and really strains suspension of disbelief for like the entire second half of the show. Like her entire character and character arc is fucking stupid and really hurts the show. Plus talk about shit resolution. I wasn't really a fan of the
"the drugs that were used on the Athena Project kids killed them but 5, 9 and 12 all lived to adulthood but we are going to make them start dieing NOW for the sake of drama"
plotline. DUMB DUMB DUMB.

I legit thought
Nine and Twelve (the later mostly) might have a chance for happiness at the very end but I can understand the decision to kill them off too
. I did appreciate that the show at the end addressed the point of Sphinx and the bloodless terrorism. I think an argument can certainly be made that their actions were too romanticized (no way would it be so free of death IRL) but since nobody got killed and this is "anime", the revealed motives at least help.

TLDR: Show was good but Five has to be one of the worse anime characters of 2014. AWFUL, AWFUL character :/

Full Metal Panic! The Second Raid - 13 END

Aaaaand, good end. :)

So, where do I start?

The Second Raid is everything a sequel should be. While it doesn't have nearly as much comedy as Fumoffu, it fills those blanks with some really well done character development, that grows from the enjoyable tropes we've seen in this cast of likeable characters.

While the first season had a decent balance of the comedy and drama, you could feel that it could excel at both really good if it focused on one or the other. In that sense, making its successors into two separate things was an ingenious move. One focusing on comedy, and the other on the drama.

And the drama is executed brilliantly here. Nothing is forced down your throat and all the emotions coming from the characters feel very genuine.

The biggest winner in this regard here, is Sousuke. Everything about his character in The Second Raid is put to the test. He gets wrapped up in an internal struggle about where he belongs, what he plans on doing with his life, and how his friendship with Chidori is going to affect how he acts as a human being. And it's all directed perfectly.

Speaking of direction, let me just say that when moments were tense, they were really freaking tense. The Second Raid is a lot darker than its predecessor, and they did a fantastic job. It ups the seriousness a lot, but it still manages to retain some of its usual charm. But despite that, they made it so you can still feel like anything could happen. From the music, the camera angles, just everything during those moments has me on the edge of my seat.

But let me just say what I didn't like about The Second Raid. Mr. Gates. Yeah, I found him amusing at first, but his shtick got old really quickly. He just comes off as a poor man's Ladd Russo from Baccano!. He's a guy that's so over-the-top and crazy about murdering people he loves every single second of it. But he acts like that like, every other scene he's in, and man does it get annoying! But he in no way ruins the show, he's just a little distracting.

But man, the stuff that's good in this show, is really freaking good. It continues the story instead of rehashing it. Its character development is excellent. The mecha animation is great, and it kind of disappoints me that KyoAni hasn't done mecha since this show. It's everything a sequel should be, and maybe even a little bit more than that.

Full Metal Panic! was a really enjoyable experience, and I'm very glad I made the watchbet. See it if you like comedy, see it if you like drama, it's just an all around good show.

Saprol

Art was great, animation was great, direction was usually on point. My biggest issue with the show was.........Five. What in the world was the point of her character? Who in their fucking mind thought it would be a good idea to give that nutjob so much power? She does some whacked out shit and really strains suspension of disbelief for like the entire second half of the show. Like her entire character and character arc is fucking stupid and really hurts the show. Plus talk about shit resolution. I wasn't really a fan of the
"the drugs that were used on the Athena Project kids killed them but 5, 9 and 12 all lived to adulthood but we are going to make them start dieing NOW for the sake of drama"
plotline. DUMB DUMB DUMB.

TLDR: Show was good but Five has to be one of the worse anime characters of 2014. AWFUL, AWFUL character :/
The greatest part was her American team all speaking with terrible accents.

This one? 2012 must have been a bad year. I remain skeptical, though I haven't seen that short myself.

Shiranpuri is not just the best Anime Mirai short out of the 2012 offerings; it is the best Anime Mirai short that has ever been produced. It has excellent character designs and animation courtesy of Naoyuki Asano, striking and unique art design, creative visual direction, and deals with a meaningful issue (bullying) in a compelling fashion. It blew me away the first time I watched it, and it still impresses me to this day. Miyashita doesn't have too much experience as an overall director, but Shiranpuri proves that he is a very talented one.

cajunator

Banned
Is that the UK version? I remember it having a different packaging

edit: seems like you got the complete series release

Thats really nice packaging. I think every territory came out a winner with Cowboy Bebop. There isnt a bad product in the lot.

Bought a new shelf for the blurays early this month. It's missing the DVDs and the NISA Sets.

Damn nice collection there. Could take a clearer photo though so we can get an idea of what you have.

Supporting waifus?

Wtf duckroll!! You are supposed to pick one and stick with it! It isn't waifu otherwise!

He did. Its Airi! He chose correctly!

The packaging.

On the waifu thing, it's no surprise that the more shallow entries of a series only gets by with waifu talk anyway, it's why FE:A and Persona topics are filled with em.

Granted a bigger issue is that it's actually part of the gameplay package.

Well theres a good reason the game is known as waifu emblem.

Yes, they aren't very good.

D-did you say hair ears?

So, Golden Boy is best taken with Eng dub I recall reading?

Absolutely.

survivor

Banned
space dandy 11, 12, 13

Episode 11 probably best one of the season, great art style form backgrounds to spaceships to action scenes, enjoyable episode. One that followed on the other hand was just painful to go through, dumb hijinks that weren't funny at all. Final episode was blessed with barely any appearance of dandy so it was already off to a great start. Robots romance, interesting concept to explore though not much was done with it, but the final battle was at least fun to watch.

First season was generally mediocre. A stream of unfunny episodes without any creative or exciting scenarios. However the stand out episodes (9, 11, 13) were at least memorable and worth watching.

ranking for s1: 11 > 9 > 13 > 5 > 10 > the rest

Gonna be the Twin-Tail! Episode 2

My gosh this series is cute as hell. Music is fun, animation is nice. The relationships are already funny. What was up with Soji's Mom? xD I adore both the opening and ending themes. Ending was really funny, was wondering what they'd do with only about a minute left in the show.

So, Golden Boy is best taken with Eng dub I recall reading?

Absolutely without question, I'd say Golden Boy and Cowboy Bebop would be my favorite dubs.

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
I'm enjoying Saekano does this make me a bad person?

Shugo Chara 46-47

Seems like we're getting extra character focus episodes instead. Too bad Kairi's was mostly a recap ep, LOL.

That being said, can't say no to more Rimu and Utau eps.

The Slayers NEXT 30-31

Not so episodic anymore.

This seems to be a bit more goofy than the first season so far. Having Amelia here, and remembering how she used to worship Lina, it's like Amelia has definitely seen some shit.

It's as if Lina is more extreme than before.

Yeah NEXT is much sillier,although I love the silly in my Slayers. How you enjoying Xellos? You watching it dubbed or subbed?

Ventara

Ping Pong: The Animation Episode 1

The animation threw me off at first, but by the end of the episode, I was a believer. This has the makings of a simple yet super interesting story. Wenge is so cool, and the music that started playing when he interrupted Smile and Peco was fantastic. Though I still think the animation is weird, it's a nice break from the usual animation, and it can look beautiful at times when it pans to the scenery. The back-and-forth action of a ping pong match was captured really well. The ED song was nice, too.

Yeah NEXT is much sillier,although I love the silly in my Slayers. How you enjoying Xellos? You watching it dubbed or subbed?

Dubbed

Shugo Chara 48

Yaya is so useless, that they made an episode about her special talent is being useless. Seriously, why is she even here?

Dubbed

Shugo Chara 48

Yaya is so useless, that they made an episode about her special talent is being useless. Seriously, why is she even here?

Nice. Lisa Ortiz is an awesome Lina, and Amelia's voice is adorable too. I love that fact that for the new slayers that came out recently, they were able to get all the old dub voices back from over 15 years ago. Pretty amazing.

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
she really stepped up this episode to me. I was all about the Senpai but now it's a toss up. The childhood friend is last though.

Blonde hair halfs are always the worst.

Shugo Chara 49

It's like they created a new girl to make sure Ikuto doesn't win the Amu Bowl, thus leaving team Vanilla to win.
Unless our "Nadeshiko" comes back to win, but she didn't sound quite as interested.

Animator's Expo -Yamadeloid

I wasn't really feeling it during the beginning It went into robot transformations with flying swordfights. The sudden ending with a big musical number had me loling.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom