• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Winter Anime 2015 |OT| ZA WARUDO is not square!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Theonik

Sölf;149505878 said:
You want to hear a, uhm, "spoiler" (regarding the manga)?

That game is still going. I don't read the manga, but this frigging game is still ongoing. This single game has more chapters then the rest of the story, if I am not mistaken.
SPOILER AKAGI WINS

Nordicus

Sölf;149505878 said:
You want to hear a, uhm, "spoiler" (regarding the manga)?

That game is still going. I don't read the manga, but this frigging game is still ongoing. This single game has more chapters then the rest of the story, if I am not mistaken.
Holy shit, I just checked and you're right. I was worried for a bit that they'd never make another season because it's been so many years, but I guess with the material there is now, they can't really even start making one with a complete satisfying arc!

Gonna be waiting for a while

cajunator

Banned
Ah I had no idea they were working on that series. Well that doesnt give me much confidence :/ I guess I can pick up the manga going forward, but not sure how interesting karuta will be when youre reading about it. What made the anime so engaging was how well the buildup and tension were executed in the matches.

Man I'd love some more Sabagebu.

I get that feeling also. Karuta was exciting and intriguing in animated form, but in manga form I just wouldnt be into it. Im sure the manga succeeds more on the strength of the characters in it than the karuta games.

That even if Rebellion is a cash-grab attempt, it's probably one of the better cash grabs in existence, because it maintains the core themes from the original work, while also building upon them in an interesting way.

Certainly better than, for example, splitting Hobbit into three movies and giving Legolas a love interest because ????.

Oh god. I enjoyed the Hobbit movies but the book is like 300 pages. How the hell did they stretch it into three movies like that? Making up shit, thats how.

Hello Animegaf. Time to make my appearance here along with my excellent and perfect observations that should always be taken as truth. Unless they are wrong. Which would only happen on purpose. With that in mind, I shall start with an ending Happiness Charge Precure.

I liked HaCha. I liked it a lot. It started off with a nice premise of fighting going on in the entire world. More importantly, it seemingly bucked a major trend and made blue the main character instead of pink. The first half had some stumbles, but it was solid overall. The middle was actually the best part, where all the characters had clicked, but still enough room for crazy ideas. There were weaknesses, but this had the potential to be the best Pretty Cure yet.

Ah how naive I was. Unlike DokiDoki, which I knew was going to have a lousy finale, or Smile, which had a lousy finale appear out of nowhere, this finale creeped up slowly, but surely in how it was going to be bad. The pseudo-finale against Mirage looked like it was going to get the pink worship out of the way so that Hime could have her true chance to shine. But nope. Megumi almost went evil, but that path was avoided for a much more boring evil Seiji route. The entire ending ended up as a three-part Lovely-wank with a bit of Lovely-angst in between. Most of the set-up with Hime and the International Cures went to waste, and Megumi somehow hogged the spotlight worse than Mana did in her finale. At least Mana had the good grace to let the others in on the finisher. Plus Megumi just kept babbling on about love (in a show about friendship and happiness) without answering most of the issues Red brought up. Pink bias brings down yet another show. Which sucks since I liked Megumi when she wasn't the only worthwhile thing in the world.

In summary, finale ruined something that once had great promise. Yes 5 and Heartcatch remain the pinnacle of Precure, though Happiness Charge overall was still stronger than Max Heart, Suite, and DokiDoki. Still, three bad season finales in a row is a terrible trend. Hopefully Go Princess can shake things up without succumbing to pink worship.
It won't.

Its nice to see another very big Precure fan. I cant get into the series very much, having just seen Futari Wa, part of Max Heart, and some of Smile, but I enjoy reading posts about it from Kirby. Yall keep doing what youre doing!

I HOPE YOU HAVE DEFLATED BALLS FOREVER YOU DAMN MOUSE.

Ahem.

Narag is so moe. Please stay a cutie mouse forever!

Well... I still have more hope for Star Wars VII then Blade Runner 2

Same. At least Star Wars has already been destroyed and there is nowhere to go but up. I cant see how Blade Runner could be improved much in a modern tech setting.

Best DRRR! product, really want it.
B8cncaWCMAIEqPC.png:large

A pic of @Anime (Anime Limited France) release of Madoka 3 Blu-ray. French release.

They also released these last year. Looks nice, not English friendly as you'd expect :(

Aniplex America posted a pic of all their releases so far on their Facebook page. I wonder how much that pic is worth? :p

i have DRR Lunch Box set and the BLue Exorcist movie and BD set. I dont see P3M there, but Im getting P3m2.

A pic of @Anime (Anime Limited France) release of Madoka 3 Blu-ray. French release.

They also released these last year. Looks nice, not English friendly as you'd expect :(

Aniplex America posted a pic of all their releases so far on their Facebook page. I wonder how much that pic is worth? :p

France getting World Masterpiece Theatre releases, nice! Wish we'd get some of these in the UK, especially Anne of Green Gables.

Andrew J.

HapCha Precure 49 END

Really had a good time marathoning this. The core cast is great, especially Hime, who's like some amazing combination of Blossom's insecurity and Marine's expressiveness. The Yellow bias kind of backfired on YuuYuu, she started out too perfect to really develop much. The generals were fun, but their relationships with each other were underdeveloped and they had basically no personal combat until the finale.

The heavy focus on sullying the purity of the Garden with filthy breeders romance as a big thematic point was iffy, but it was something Precure had to try eventually. I really like how Hime's crush on Seiji just turned out to be an adrenaline-rush illusion, lol.

The "global Precure" business was kind of half-baked in execution. There should have been 3 or 4 more episodes about traveling the world to help out other Cures instead of just the one Hawaiian episode we got.

Big props for the quality of the final boss. Red was an actual character with motivations, not just some incarnation of pure evil. And the fact that he was a person instead of some big Lovecraftian blob meant the final battles were awesome wuxia matches and not beamspam contests. (Smile was the worst about this; Pierrot was utterly uninteresting as a character and as a combatant.) I get the complaints about sidelining everyone else in favor of Lovely, but it was done to preserve the purity of the one-on-one final battle for the climax, which I really liked.

Theonik

French dub only for their last 2 releases meeeeeeh
Also: Re: Aniplex, so much it has caused some kind of singularity distorting the laws of physics in that picture.

Kyousou Giga - 00-10 [Finale]

That was fantastic. Characters, story and plot, music and sounds, visuals, quality of direction etc. pp., it's all either good or at least doesn't affect the overall picture badly. I also once again realized just how much of a blessing great pacing is. Now it obviously differs from show to show, but when I consider how much this covers in 10 or 11 episodes without feeling rushed, it's a downright blessing compared to e.g. my recently, horrendous time with HxH's Chimera arc and its 50-60+ episode count and snail pacing.

I have yet to do some thinking about this show but my first full impression is very positive. It's most likely at least getting a 8/10 from me, perhaps even 9/10.

javac

Bah! Post UK stuff ;P
I have to switch it up every now and again lol, the rest of Europe gets some legitimately awesome stuff, but it's never English Friendly D: Glad you enjoy the UK updates however, I'm always watching that stuff like a hawk so when I see something I think is worth sharing I tend do regurgitate it where I can :p
Nothing because Aniplex sucks and everything they touch is worthless!
Their releases look so nice presentation wise, but the price on these things...ouch.
i have DRR Lunch Box set and the BLue Exorcist movie and BD set. I dont see P3M there, but Im getting P3m2.
The DRR Lunch Box set is DVD right? I own the first season on Blu-ray, got it blindly just because it looked a bit hip and trendy and the intro was a bit snazzy lol. I'm sure I'll enjoy it when I watch it. Haven't played a single Persona game, but I own 2 and 3 for the Vita (PSP release) and 4Golden. I...sold my Vita tho...:/
France getting World Masterpiece Theatre releases, nice! Wish we'd get some of these in the UK, especially Anne of Green Gables.
Yup, totally envious of that stuff. Amazing stuff. I would import it all in an instant if it was English friendly. One day... :(
French dub only for their last 2 releases meeeeeeh
Also: Re: Aniplex, so much it has caused some kind of singularity distorting the laws of physics in that picture.
Lol never noticed that.

Clov

DRR Lunch Box set is DVD right? I own the first season on Blu-ray, got it blindly just because it looked a bit hip and trendy and the intro was a bit snazzy lol. I'm sure I'll enjoy it when I watch it. Haven't played a single Persona game, but I own 2 and 3 for the Vita (PSP release) and 4Golden. I...sold my Vita tho...:/

The lunch box set should be BD, actually. It's out of print now, but they're doing a standard edition release on BD without the lunch box this year.

javac

In other news, Madman Entertainment have announced their May DVD/BD Releases. (Australian releases.)
  • 009 RE:CYBORG (DVD) $29.95
  • BLEACH COLLECTION 25 (EPS 330-342) $49.95
  • 009 RE:CYBORG (BLU-RAY) $34.95
  • 009 RE:CYBORG 3D LIMITED EDITION (BLU-RAY) $39.95
  • ROZEN MAIDEN: ZURUCKSPULEN COLLECTION $59.95
  • PATLABOR – THE MOBILE POLICE OVA SERIES 2 THE NEW FILES (DVD) $49.95
  • UNBREAKABLE MACHINE DOLL SERIES COLLECTION (DVD) $59.95
  • FAIRY TAIL COLLECTION 15 (EPS 165-175) (DVD) $59.95
  • TOKYO RAVENS PART 1 (DVD) $59.95
  • FAIRY TAIL COLLECTION 15 (EPS 165-175) (BLU-RAY) $64.95
  • TOKYO RAVENS PART 1 (BLU-RAY) $64.95
  • UNBREAKABLE MACHINE DOLL SERIES COLLECTION (BLU-RAY) $64.95
  • ONE WEEK FRIENDS SERIES COLLECTION (DVD) (SUBTITLED EDITION) $59.95
LIVE ACTION FILMS
  • RUROUNI KENSHIN THE LEGEND ENDS (BLU-RAY) $34.95
  • RUROUNI KENSHIN THE LEGEND ENDS (DVD) $29.95
Had no idea that Fairy Tail thing was so popular. Over 150 episodes?
The lunch box set should be BD, actually. It's out of print now, but they're doing a standard edition release on BD without the lunch box this year.
Yeah I heard about the reprint/re-release, but didn't know that that set in particular was Blu-ray. Thanks.

Girl Friend Beta 12

God damn... There were a lot of characters in this...

And it ends with a New Years episode complete with shrine visit and everything.

This is one of those shows you'll either find tolerable or boring as hell. Nothing really happens, not a lot of drama and no comedy to speak of. I thought it was ok, but some episodes were less interesting though. Guess it all depends on what characters you like or not. It has Miss Monochrome, a student council president voiced by Kikuko Inoue and camera stalker girl I liked, so that's good enough.

The OP and ED seems to be made to sound a bit amateurish.

3/5 betas:
Cdf6CXg.png
Cdf6CXg.png
Cdf6CXg.png
xUROyqB.png
xUROyqB.png

Gundam Build Fighters Try 16

Mobile Armor scrubs lost, next you'll be telling me the data guys will lose next episode too.
Even better is that they didn't even bother animate the AGE suit and just made it ugly CG.
RIP Gundam Spiegel ) :

My face at the Gunpla at the end

u5xdpni.png

Midonin

Azumanga Daioh 15-17

The genesis of "mai waifu", the origin of Chiyo-Penguin and a Christmas episode. I've already revealed my true intentions yesterday, so thankfully, that means more focus on the episodes themselves. And it must be said that Kaorin and Sasaki show that yuri goes back to long before today. It can't be written off as "good friends" either, not with all the rainbow imagery that accompanies it. I really can believe that Chiyo's Wakamoto-Dad would be Santa Claus, and advertising for character songs also existed as far back as here. In some ways, this all makes sense because it was close to the start of these things, or perhaps because they were a good fit for anime all along.

The show's a lot of fun, and Tomo and Osaka remain my favorites.

BGBW

Maturity, bitches.
Their releases look so nice presentation wise, but the price on these things...ouch.
Well I was just making reference to them putting pressure on All the Anime to stop releasing complete editions. See, I do pay attention.

phaze

Kyousou Giga - 00-10 [Finale]

That was fantastic. Characters, story and plot, music and sounds, visuals, quality of direction etc. pp., it's all either good or at least doesn't affect the overall picture badly. I also once again realized just how much of a blessing great pacing is. Now it obviously differs from show to show, but when I consider how much this covers in 10 or 11 episodes without feeling rushed, it's a downright blessing compared to e.g. my recently, horrendous time with HxH's Chimera arc and its 50-60+ episode count and snail pacing.

I have yet to do some thinking about this show but my first full impression is very positive. It's most likely at least getting a 8/10 from me, perhaps even 9/10.

Glad you liked it. One of my all time favourites.

The Tale of The Princess Kaguya

I think I might be getting more sentimental as years pass by, that last half hour turned me into a sobbing mess. I confess to not liking Grave of the Fireflies which was my only contact with Takahata up till now but this was just several grades above it. I'm kinda surprised how much I liked it given how low key and calm most of it was but it never really started to drag for me. Great movie, I look forward to getting acquainted with more of Ghibli's outings.

Gundam Build Fighters Try 16

Why does everyone hate AGE so much? ;___;

Absolutely loved everyone's reaction to Tryon 3, That was freaking golden.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
Glad you liked it. One of my all time favourites.

The Tale of The Princess Kaguya
I think I might be getting more sentimental as years pass by, that last half hour turned me into a sobbing mess. I confess to not liking Grave of the Fireflies which was my only contact with Takahata up till now but this was just several grades above it. I'm kinda surprised how much I liked it given how low key and calm most of it was but it never really started to drag for me. Great movie, I look forward to getting acquainted with more of Ghibli's outings.
The best part is that Only Yesterday is Takahata's best film, so you have something better to look forward to!

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
Only Yesterday was literally ruined by Miyazaki.
I'm dumb, I was thinking of Whispers of the Heart.

Shonen Hollywood 02

Living the dream.

Kakeru got some doubts about being an idol, but after having a talk with the president he feels more certain about it. Even if it might mean sacrificing some friendships.

Clov

I watched a bit of my Jin-Roh BD. It's very good looking overall; unlike the previous BD release by Bandai Visual, it's not windowboxed. It'll actually take up your whole screen this time! The picture quality itself is good, though there's a bit of noise during some scenes. Not nearly to the extent of the Ghost in the Shell BD, thankfully. Like the last BD I got from Discotek, the subtitles are white on black. Nice looking, very readable, and they don't take up too much space. If you missed out on the original BD of Jin-Roh here, you can't go wrong with this release.

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
He made me laugh right there so maybe there's something to it.

Midonin

KanColle 04

I know Kongou is one of the most popular characters from the game, probably second only to Shimakaze - and this episode featured plenty of them. Kongou really is Nao Toyama using her Karen voice, and all the antics in the episode - including the song performance in the middle - made for something pretty fun, if a bit of a sudden turn after the events of last week's episode. I am starting to become aware that not knowing my history may leave me out of the loop on some things, but unless there's a bunch of miniature people acting like the sprites inside the planes working inside the girls' bodies, everything is really on more of a metaphorical level, which requires a few more weeks to think about how to approach it.

I'm just glad that Zekamashi got her episode, unless this was really Kongou's episode and her episode is coming later.

Shonen Hollywood 03

An idol meets his idol.

We find out what happened with some of the previous Shonen Hollywood members and not everybody got their dreams fulfilled. And there's a shocking reveal about the president.

Oh, and a creepy looking childhood Tomii. Did... they just stick his head on a child body? :p

javac

Well I was just making reference to them putting pressure on All the Anime to stop releasing complete editions. See, I do pay attention.
Ha you sure know how to hold a grudge don't you? :p

The Tale of The Princess Kaguya I think I might be getting more sentimental as years pass by, that last half hour turned me into a sobbing mess.

I really appreciate that. I've been looking forward to this since it was first announced and I've been enamoured by it since the first trailer. A lot of people were pretty negative on its aesthetics the first time it was shown but I was blown away from day one and I can't wait to watch it. I've been waiting patiently, as with The Wind Rises which I got the LE Blu-ray for day one. I'm planning on importing the Japanese Blu-ray for Kaguya soon and I hope to watch it and The Wind Rises soon.

Grave of the Fireflies reduced me to a bumbling mess by the end, and I really appreciate a film that can do that. Feels good to cry once in a while. Just you and the film in this intimate sort of way as the director and artists and musicians work in harmony delivering this monsoon of emotions.

The best part is that Only Yesterday is Takahata's best film, so you have something better to look forward to!

Only Yesterday is my favourite Ghibli film tied with Whisper of the Heart followed by Porco Rosso. Only Yesterday is immensely under appreciated but the more time I spend online the more people that I meet whom also hold it in such high regards. The soundtrack is sublime, the visuals are beautiful and I just fell in love with it at first sight. Always recommend it to everyone.

Midonin

Testament 04

Those in search of lewdness, there was none of that this week. Just wrapping up the story of the first arc and focusing on Yuuki and Basara's fight. As far as anime fantasy action goes, it's not too bad. The way it was solved wasn't really revealed until this episode, though I understand how time compression is a thing. Looking forward to Yuuki and Maria having bigger roles in the future, probably arcs of their own. Mio's still the center of things, but for now, her story has reached a good stopping point.

Shonen Hollywood 04

That pressure to live up to the parents expectations.

Kira finally finds his own voice instead of just acting to make his mother happy though. Hm... And a hint about what tragic event made the old group split up as well?

Parasyte - 16

The more interaction between Shinichi and the parasites (or the parasites among themselves) the better; in that regard this episode was quite interesting and ends on a darn tease...as usually by now :/

It's unfortunate that the direction in is overall rather average and apart from Shinichi there's few well written human characters. This could be so much better and easily one of my favorite anime with how strong the core is with Shinichi's and Migi's interaction.

edit:
Also this episode I felt like the backgrounds looked somewhat cheap here and there.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom