• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Winter Anime 2015 |OT| ZA WARUDO is not square!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Parasyte 16
Very solid episode, the best one since the Fall anime season ended. Raised the stakes well without putting Shinichi is a too favorable position

javac

I quite like them. Might be worth making an effort to make them smaller though? Maybe two in the same row or just smaller thumbnails— something like that.
Thanks, I agree I need to make the images smaller. I'll work on it and keep it in mind for future posts :) I own the UK and some of the Japanese Ghibli Blu-rays so I'm glad the US is catching up :) Amazing films.

1422476263454zzycz.jpg

Horrible.

Absolutely awful.

Easily the worst episode yet.

Not even a single notable fanservice shot anywhere.

What was even the point of making this if you're not going to show at least one good T&A scene?

Theonik

In terms of Anime releases in the US as of Yesterday (27th):
The next batch of releases:
February 2015 (02/03/15)
If people don't mind these update things I don't mind posting them every now and again, if not let me know.
I didn't expect they'd do Pom Poko but I guess Only Yesterday is still not saved.

cajunator

Banned
A pic of @Anime (Anime Limited France) release of Madoka 3 Blu-ray. French release.

They also released these last year. Looks nice, not English friendly as you'd expect :(

Aniplex America posted a pic of all their releases so far on their Facebook page. I wonder how much that pic is worth? :p

Very nice looking release.
Similar to the Us one.

I have to switch it up every now and again lol, the rest of Europe gets some legitimately awesome stuff, but it's never English Friendly D: Glad you enjoy the UK updates however, I'm always watching that stuff like a hawk so when I see something I think is worth sharing I tend do regurgitate it where I can :p

Their releases look so nice presentation wise, but the price on these things...ouch.

The DRR Lunch Box set is DVD right? I own the first season on Blu-ray, got it blindly just because it looked a bit hip and trendy and the intro was a bit snazzy lol. I'm sure I'll enjoy it when I watch it. Haven't played a single Persona game, but I own 2 and 3 for the Vita (PSP release) and 4Golden. I...sold my Vita tho...:/

Yup, totally envious of that stuff. Amazing stuff. I would import it all in an instant if it was English friendly. One day... :(

Lol never noticed that.

The releases cost more but the quality is very good.
You get what you pay for. Getting a whole Sentai series on bluray for 30-40$ should not expect very good quality from it.

Azumanga Daioh 15-17

The genesis of "mai waifu", the origin of Chiyo-Penguin and a Christmas episode. I've already revealed my true intentions yesterday, so thankfully, that means more focus on the episodes themselves. And it must be said that Kaorin and Sasaki show that yuri goes back to long before today. It can't be written off as "good friends" either, not with all the rainbow imagery that accompanies it. I really can believe that Chiyo's Wakamoto-Dad would be Santa Claus, and advertising for character songs also existed as far back as here. In some ways, this all makes sense because it was close to the start of these things, or perhaps because they were a good fit for anime all along.

The show's a lot of fun, and Tomo and Osaka remain my favorites.

A rather excellent series of episodes. Iconic I would say.

Jarmel

Banned
Parasyte-16

Oh for fuck's sake, the girl is going to get kidnapped isn't she? Oh and I can see the detective killing the baby as payback for his family.

Music is dogshit like always. One of the worst soundtracks for any decent-high budget show I've ever seen.

Beefeater

Banned
Parasyte-16

Oh for fuck's sake, the girl is going to get kidnapped isn't she? Oh and I can see the detective killing the baby as payback for his family.

Music is dogshit like always. One of the worst soundtracks for any decent-high budget show I've ever seen.

Drop it, you know you want to.

Parasyte-16

Eh the OST has a bunch of good tracks. The problem is the sound director making use of it. The timing and track choice feels completely random at times.

fertygo

Parasyte - 16

The episode is awesome, the action on first half is really good and well choreographed (shooooooooock) really felt there's sense of space in the movement, the plot also going places.

Parasyte-16

You've changed. You ARE Jarmel-kun, right?

Clov

In terms of Anime releases in the US as of Yesterday (27th):

The next batch of releases:
February 2015 (02/03/15)

If people don't mind these update things I don't mind posting them every now and again, if not let me know.
EDIT: Made the pics a little bit smaller :)

Huh, didn't know that they licensed A-Channel from Aniplex. Perhaps my dream of a Cossette Blu-Ray in North America isn't impossible after all!

You're missing a few key February releases, though. Namely, Princess Kaguya and Koimonogatari.

Oh weird, I didn't even know that they were doing Ghibli releases so early.

It's been a slow process, but Disney has been getting them out. It's likely that the next batch will be Spirited Away, The Cat Returns, and My Neighbors the Yamadas, as those are the only remaining Ghibli films that Disney has released. Can't wait for that Porco Rosso BD, personally.

I didn't expect they'd do Pom Poko but I guess Only Yesterday is still not saved.

Yeah, I wouldn't expect Disney to release Only Yesterday any time soon. They seem to have zero interest in it. Maybe another company can strike a deal with them to release it. Can you imagine a Criterion version of it? It sounds farfetched, but Criterion has been adding a few animated films to their collection (Fantastic Mr. Fox and Watership Down). That's just me dreaming, though. It's not especially likely to get a release here any time soon. Import away!

Narag

It's been a slow process, but Disney has been getting them out. It's likely that the next batch will be Spirited Away, The Cat Returns, and My Neighbors the Yamadas, as those are the only remaining Ghibli films that Disney has released. Can't wait for that Porco Rosso BD, personally.

Looking forward to The Cat Returns for reasons, ~chu.

Parasyte 16

Looks like Shinichi has found his Frieza. "Fool this isn't even my final form!"

Damn good episode, filled with action scenes. Looks like next episode
We might have some Parasyte civil war and the P.I. stealing the baby as a revenge

javac

Only Yesterday has the distinct privilege of being both the best and the secret best Ghibli film, depending on the context. It's too bad that it's largely ignored, probably because it's not as fanciful as their 90s/00s output... it's a true anime nerd's movie.
Yup, such a beautiful film. My favourite no doubt. If I'm correct it never got a release in the US and many weren't even aware (and still aren't) of its existence until recently. A massive shame. Super glad that the few people who did see it appreciate it. Makes me happy.

The releases cost more but the quality is very good.
You get what you pay for. Getting a whole Sentai series on bluray for 30-40$ should not expect very good quality from it.
No doubt. It's hard for me to gauge what I actually want out of a higher end release these days. I've always wanted a package that isn't too big so it fits on my shelve but is also sturdy and devoid of audio or visual issues.

I usually go by the idea that if I want a show and a CE or LE exists, its that or nothing. I rarely go for the standard edition. Having said that, distributors of anime generally find it hard to justify the prices and end up throwing in random junk that you don't care about.

I guess in the end I just want the best release possible A/V wise with nice art (subjective of course, but something a bit classy makes sense right?) in a nice sturdy package and maybe a nice art-book or something unique and not something like an OST that I can buy from CDJapan for less or even worse a soundtrack that isn't complete! :p

You're missing a few key February releases, though. Namely, Princess Kaguya and Koimonogatari.

Yup this is just the releases for the 3rd. Other key releases are due on the 10th, the 17th and the 24th. I'll post them in a bit or as the 3rd passes :)

faridmon

Parasyte-16

The problem is editing, but the OST itself is just fine.

Jarmel

Banned
Kancolle-4

Dropped again. This is way too stupid even for me.

There were good scenes in here but good god is some of this stuff just stupid.

Parasyte the maxim 16

Shinichi is in deep shit now. Probably thought he was hot shit after going all Kano on that one Parasite, but now it looks like they are bringing out their top guns. And Reiko doesn't seem to be faring any better it seems.

I knew the second that the detectives family was shown that they were gonna be killed. It's just too obvious these days.

Kansoku

Parasyte 16

This show has been very conflicting for the last few episodes. It does some things so right, but it also does some things so wrong. The first part was pretty interesting. The action was great. But the rest was pretty mediocre imo. This ep was better than the last few, but it still feels kinda bad. I really don't feel excited about what's coming.
There's a 99% chance the girl is gonna get fucked up in some way or another, and then Shinichi is going to go even nutter. Ryouko (is that what she's called?) is probably going to survive. Shinichi's dad will probably never show up again. The P.I. has a 101% chance of dying next episode.
IDK, I really feel a drop in quality that never stops dropping. At least I'm certain the OST will be constantly shit. It's always amusing to see what kind of song they'll place in unfitting situations.

e_i

So Plastic Memories is a robot girl slice of life series in the near future? cough
Yokohama Kaidashi Kikou
coughcough

dan2026

How exactly did Toei manage to become the worst animation studio in Japan?

Sailor Moon Crystal should of been a gold mine for them and they couldn't be bothered to put effort into that either.

Is there anything they can't fuck up?

How exactly did Toei manage to become the worst animation studio in Japan?

Sailor Moon Crystal should of been a gold mine for them and they couldn't be bothered to put effort into that either.

Is there anything they can't fuck up?

But all the talented people are doing precure !
And the rest of the good animators are doing one piece

Jarmel

Banned
Highschool DXD New-

So I was going to write an essay on why the protagonist is shit and he deserved to get the everlasting crap beat out of him in the finale but then this scene happened:
iLbBDBsWSAeLH.jpg

MUST NOT FAP!
MUST NOT FAP!
MUST NOT FAP!
85305efdd72a102c6f368bc0627b695c.jpg

I don't even care anymore.

He literally saves the world because he got scared that the President's boobs would shrink. Not because the villain was going to kill his parents or friends but rather the possibility of the President's boobs getting smaller.

Amazing.

But all the talented people are doing precure !
And the rest of the good animators are doing one piece

One Piece gets good animation once in a blue moon, but still generally gets shafted outside of things like movies. I mean, I still watch the One Piece anime because the source material is strong enough that I can tolerate how they shit on the pacing, and every now and then there are awesome animation moments (Not to mention a fantastic voice cast and a pretty good soundtrack), but it still isn't really given the treatment it deserves

Quasar

I find it so hard to hate on shows that go full on stupid in their shamelessness, ~chu.

That series is way better than any series like this deserves to be. The author really puts in way more effort than I ever would have thought people would do for this kind of thing. Plus they keep ramping the insanity up with each new book.

Its like if Mamare Touno wrote a crazy epic harem series.

Jarmel

Banned
That series is way better than any series like this deserves to be. The author really puts in way more effort than I ever would have thought people would do for this kind of thing. Plus they keep ramping the insanity up with each new book.

Its like if Mamare Touno wrote a crazy epic harem series.

My problem with these types of shows is that the protagonist always gets blueballed. I mean at least let the man get a paizuri or a blowjob.

Highschool DXD New-

So I was going to write an essay on why the protagonist is shit and he deserved to get the everlasting crap beat out of him in the finale but then this scene happened:

I don't even care anymore.

He literally saves the world because he got scared that the President's boobs would shrink. Not because the villain was going to kill his parents or friends but rather the possibility of the President's boobs getting smaller.

Amazing.
Ah ah AH

You have seen nothing.
The things that happen afterwards are nothing on that.
You think this is amazing , superbly stupid ? Get ready for season 3..
Dxd runs with the not serious and improves it.

"ZOOM ZOOM IYAAAN"
^^^remember this , folks ..remember this...

My problem with these types of shows is that the protagonist always gets blueballed. I mean at least let the man get a paizuri or a blowjob.
Well , sound like you need to read campione or Shinmain maou no testament.
Campione orgy scene is something i'll always regret to not see animated.
As for shinmai maou, well i don't even need explanation on that.

Yuri Bear Storm 04

Lulu is feeling some serious regret over
casting aside the only person in her life that genuinely loved her. Now she's hoping to reciprocate said love vicariously by getting Ginko her love. It's either rather selfish or honorable of her

Shabada! Shaba-daba-daabaa!

Shinmai Maou no testament - 04
So here ends the first arc and the first volume of the books. So the pace is currently of 4 eps by book ? We'll see how they will handle this speed.

So far the first arc was nicely adapted. i have very few complains as they did their best on some point and i'm sure the special will be there to correct the missed stuff.

The battle animation could have used more work ( even more obvious in this episode ) but nothing was really ugly . So far Smaou no testament manages to delivers on the source material , so i can expect good sales in order to see more.

As for episode 4 , it had a crying loli in it:
1422479127708.gif

Don't do this to your succubus !!!

Overall , it's ok... i can rejoice at least that i'ts following the books properly

Haikyuu!! - 8~17

This series is fucking incredible. Like the author seriously needs to be commended for being able to juggle this many distinct characters and being able to provide meaningful development for nearly everyone up until this point. How about Asahi and overcoming the past trauma in order to become a part of the larger team? How about the matches with Neko and the realization of the inherent limitations of their tricks? How about silver hair dude and
taking one for the team, realizing that he was inferior to Kageyama and self benching himself in order to make the Coach's decision easier? And his third year teammates silently watching him shoulder that himself?
And taking an episode to highlight the other side of the equation, the people who aren't able to advance and the regret of having not taken the time to put all of yourself into practicing? How about the one bench duded going out of his way to improve himself so that next year hes good enough to contribute something tangible to the team?

And how about this fucking rematch? This episode in particular is just like a microcosm of everything that I've enjoyed about this series to date. It highlights not only how far each of the characters have come on their individual paths
Like Hinata finally embracing his role as decoy instead of an ace and Asashi confronting the elements that originally made him want to quit to begin with
but also how much further each of them have left to grow. Peppered in between we have the match analysis itself, the strategy involved, the why and how they're using their team's strengths differently this time. Withholding information in order to best use their tricks in the most opportune moments. Yeah, this series is fucking great. I wish I'd watched it sometime before 3 days before AOTY voting ended to try to rally up support for it. Not sure how the series is fairing at the moment but it really deserves to be up there amongst the top 5 shows that have aired this year.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom