• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Winter Anime 2015 |OT| ZA WARUDO is not square!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Shonen Hollywood 05

Mf7hkCj.jpg

Better crowds than other idols at their first performance :p

But it's a play though, and it's not half bad. It's about dreams, despair, uh... lollipops and err... aliens?!

javac

People were asking about Escaflowne yesterday. A new quote from the head at Amine Limited:
Yep - aiming for late Q3 or MCM October time on that one as we have to do a bunch of work as the new video masters don't match the dub so we're creating a director's cut sub-only and the version as it aired dubbed.
I'll ask around for more info on that.

In regards to a question they got about a possible UK Blu-ray release of Outlaw Star in light of the recent Japanese release.
We're still looking into this one - it's a bit of an odd one as the international licensor had no idea of it coming out so basically nobody with rights was informed. We're going to check it out and then work out how to proceed. We are of course interested though so watch this space 

Clov

People were asking about Escaflowne yesterday. A new quote from the head at Amine Limited:

I'll ask around for more info on that.

In regards to a question they got about a possible UK Blu-ray release of Outlaw Star in light of the recent Japanese release.

Makes me curious of how Funimation will handle Escaflowne.

Tuck

Gargantua on the vendrous planet worth watching? I found the first half of the first episode very dull, despite it trying very hard not to be (it begins with a space battle)

Gargantua on the vendrous planet worth watching? I found the first half of the first episode very dull, despite it trying very hard not to be (it begins with a space battle)

The amount of, at times really creepy, fanservice made it nigh impossible for me to take the story serious, and boy does it try hard to get dark...

It has nice visuals and I thought the premise wasn't too bad. It just never developed into anything worthwhile imo.

Shonen Hollywood 06

The owl whisperer.

Back to character episodes then. This time it's backstory about the bad boy Makki who's a bit of a wandering spirit or something. Some drama with Kira since Makki doesn't know if he wants to stay with the group or not as well. Guess there'll be an episode about Shun next?

Shard

XBLAnnoyance
Parasyte Episode 16:

Certainly the best episode in awhile but this show has clearly run out of the initial steam it once had. To wit the fights have finally gotten so much more shonen then they used to be.
Indeed, our 5 Parasyte antagonist is exactly the kind of escalation I would expect to see were this program a 100 plus battle shonen series, though the process would have been much more gradual and boring. Still, since Kenchi can basically one shot regular parasytes to the point where they are little more then mooks, escalation really was the only recourse.

Kikirin

For what it's worth, I had the same reaction to the first episode, due to being overwhelmed by the events and relative lack of explanation of setting or jargon. But the rest of the series goes at a better pace, and I enjoyed it overall.

The latter portion was pretty good but I admit the first half is a bit dry and I wasn't a fan of the boat hippies except for their sexy dance parties.

Sölf

So is your name supposed to be read as English 'self'?

Nope, it's supposed to read like a german would read it. xD
After looking a bit at pronounciation, "surf" is actually a good one. But the "S" would have to be replaced with a "Z" in english (and of course, an "L" instead of an "R").

So, if we go full linguistics, something like "ˈzɜːlf" sounds about right.

Highschool DxD Season 1 Overall Thoughts

Well, if you look past all that naked boobs and just straight up nudity EVERYWHERE, I guess it's a decent romp of fighting and actually decent characters.

I don't think I will say anything more anyway, shit has been out for a long time, so the question is whether you enjoy this kind of thing or not. But to finish as usual, no.

I don't recommend this.

Thoraxes

I did the 100 audio only one. The video one is a bit easier since you can just guess by recognising characters. Do I know what the Naruto OPs sound like? No. Do I know what the characters look like because of mass sightings of them online? Yes.

Also "K-On!! 2" is not the name of the show. Such a cheat. It's K-On! and K-on!! I wrote the double exclamation marks!

That was one I lost because of that as well.

striferser

Huge Nickleback Fan
Koufuku Graffiti 3
Those girls stuffing themself with omurice. Sexy <3 (the omurice)

Log Horizon2 16

Junior member of log horizon goes on adventure. New summoner appear, and she look like rule 63 shiroe. And roleplaying as a vampire.

Ass. Classroom 3

Karma will fit right in the Danganronpa series. Psychopatic and badass.

Parasyte 16

Yeah, good episode. The fight was well animated and it had interesting twists. And there are two fronts of new developments, both the detective and Reiko-san situations are interesting and pushes the plot forward toward new directions.

Tuck

Kyousou Giga - 00-10 [Finale]

That was fantastic. Characters, story and plot, music and sounds, visuals, quality of direction etc. pp., it's all either good or at least doesn't affect the overall picture badly. I also once again realized just how much of a blessing great pacing is. Now it obviously differs from show to show, but when I consider how much this covers in 10 or 11 episodes without feeling rushed, it's a downright blessing compared to e.g. my recently, horrendous time with HxH's Chimera arc and its 50-60+ episode count and snail pacing.

I have yet to do some thinking about this show but my first full impression is very positive. It's most likely at least getting a 8/10 from me, perhaps even 9/10.
Based on your post, I watched the first episode. Started really strong but became a bit incomprehensible towards the end. Gonna keep watching though.

Bouncing back and forth between a few anime now.

phaze

The best part is that Only Yesterday is Takahata's best film, so you have something better to look forward to!

Gotta stock up on tissues then. :lol

Shirobako 12

Nothing quite drives the "making anime is hell" point home like 40 seconds of stills to close the finale of the cour. Next one should start with Miyamori in mental asylum, she's losing it.

cajunator

Banned
Oreimo S2 + Specials

Im going to bed. What the fuck.

I watched this show for Kuroneko and pretty much left it for dead otherwise.

Sölf;149492297 said:
So, I have no idea if this is the right thread. But since it's about anime, eh, why not.

So, I started a game in another forum where you had to guess which anime this song belongs to. Basically, I took 50 songs from various anime (OP/ED/Background/Insert Song) and cut them to like 15-30 seconds parts per song and made a single file were these parts pla one after another.

Would AnimeGAF dare to accept said challenge, and try to solve the mystery to which show each song belongs?!

I used to be good at these, but the last several years I have really not paid as much attention to the music and can only identify few.

Sölf;149497481 said:
Mine would be more like... a bet? You guys vs me, you have a few days to solve it and the winner(s) picks an avatar for the looser(s). :0

Hehee. You're speaking animegaf's language now.

I'm the victim here, ~chu.

Back in your cage little mouse

Based on your post, I watched the first episode. Started really strong but became a bit incomprehensible towards the end. Gonna keep watching though.

The show certainly gets more and more cohesive along the way, and I'd argue it does so exceedingly well, but you'll see for yourself.

edit:

So I'm 3 episodes into Shiki and if it didn't seem to harbor some potential I'd gladly drop it for the silly haircuts. What the hell is this even @_@

BGBW

Maturity, bitches.
Wake Up Girls Zoo 8

Actually no, I'm not going to review it. The episode is so short you should just watch it yourselves. Seriously, why aren't you watching it right now? Chop chop! It's the best show of the season. So stop watching boat girls and eyeball hands and fighting spirits and watch something decent for a change.

Sölf

I used to be good at these, but the last several years I have really not paid as much attention to the music and can only identify few.

Would not only be new stuff. One of the mods in said other forum used to make quizzes with characters which we had to guess. I started to do the same with music. xD

So my stuff would also have quite a wide range.

Nordicus

Bit of the confusion might come from there being 3 things named Koto and 2 people using the name Myoe

Keeping that in mind might help

GUNDAM BUILD FIGHTERS TRY - 16
Gundam%20Build%20Fighters%20Try%20-%2016.jpg

Oh yeah TRY ON !!
GUNPLA IS FREEDOM..

So i wanted overwhelming , i got overwhelming

One should be this cheated in order to be in such favored position. I now think that the winning gundam will only win because it has "winning" in it's name , lol.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
Only Yesterday is my favourite Ghibli film tied with Whisper of the Heart followed by Porco Rosso. Only Yesterday is immensely under appreciated but the more time I spend online the more people that I meet whom also hold it in such high regards. The soundtrack is sublime, the visuals are beautiful and I just fell in love with it at first sight. Always recommend it to everyone.
Only Yesterday has the distinct privilege of being both the best and the secret best Ghibli film, depending on the context. It's too bad that it's largely ignored, probably because it's not as fanciful as their 90s/00s output... it's a true anime nerd's movie.
Gotta stock up on tissues then. :lol
I would say it's not really sad than mono no aware... but then again, that's how I felt about Kaguyahime as well.

Jarmel

Banned
Shinmai Maou no Testament-4

It's so unbelievably nice to have a protagonist who isn't a complete moron in these types of shows. Dude figures out the dead obvious villain and blackmails him in one episode to keep his mouth shut. The pacing is a lot brisker than I thought and making the show more enjoyable than it would be otherwise.

Kongou-colle 04

B8eA0BMCIAA9ekf.jpg
B8eA0A5CcAAQ4Uz.jpg

KONGOU DESS KONGOU BESS

Of course the Kongou episode has been the best episode of the show thus far. Absolutely loved the sisters' antics and they nailed them to a T how I imagined them to be.

DiGiKerot

Wake Up Girls Zoo 8

Actually no, I'm not going to review it. The episode is so short you should just watch it yourselves. Seriously, why aren't you watching it right now? Chop chop! It's the best show of the season. So stop watching boat girls and eyeball hands and fighting spirits and watch something decent for a change.

I seriously bust a gut during this weeks WUGZoo. It's kind of the most real of all cartoons.

phaze

Just don't watch episode 0 till after you have seen episode 6 at the very least . (assuming you haven't already.)

Cute High Earth Defense Club LOVE! Episode 4
B8cay6HCcAAelPE.png
B8cay51CcAEusS7.png

Boys tickling each other, best school club anime after Free! Such a hilarious scene really. Also their bath scene at the start was the best one yet. I love all their VA's laughing together it sounded really hilarious.

javac

In terms of Anime releases in the US as of Yesterday (27th):
01/27/15
A-Channel: Complete Collection [Sentai]
tvf6oyr.jpg
Log Horizon: Collection 2 [Sentai]
hYx4FNX.jpg
Maid Sama!: Complete Collection [Sentai]
aZXnrnz.jpg
Jin-Roh: The Wolf Brigade [Discotek]
2PGaajB.jpg

The next batch of releases:
February 2015 (02/03/15)
Golden Time Collection 2 [Sentai] $34.49
Kjk7LHF.jpg
Leviathan - The Last Defense - Complete Collection [Sentai] $40.29
pPFjAfu.jpg
Coppelion: The Complete Series [VIZ] $52.89
LRuBdES.jpg
Genshiken: Second Generation [NISA]
Pom Poko [Disney] $24.97
hYTls0r.jpg
Porco Rosso [Disney] $24.98
oPYqI6s.jpg
Tales From Earthsea [Disney] $24.99
A5dU0nq.jpg
Ben-To: Complete Collection [Funimation] $40.18
bE5saj2.jpg
Gurren Lagann Vol. 4 [AoA] $49.98
Cover is a bit spoilery/mid way spoilers I guess :)

If people don't mind these update things I don't mind posting them every now and again, if not let me know.
EDIT: Made the pics a little bit smaller :)

February 2015 (02/03/15)

If people don't mind these update things I don't mind posting them every now and again, if not let me know.
I cant believe Coppelion got a dub, and I think it was the last new series viz ever picked up :/ (well if we exclude Naruto SD)

Just don't watch episode 0 till after you have seen episode 6 at the very least . (assuming you haven't already.)

I actually made that mistake as I wouldn't (and didn't) expect it to be more or less an OVA combining the first 6 episodes >_<

Still, despite hating spoilers and what not it wasn't that much of a detriment.

Mature

February 2015 (02/03/15)

I quite like them. Might be worth making an effort to make them smaller though? Maybe two in the same row or just smaller thumbnails&#8212; something like that.

And man, Porco Rosso, Pom Poko, and still haven't got Jin-Roh. =/

Coppelion lmao
Hahaha.

Shonen Hollywood 06

The owl whisperer.

Back to character episodes then. This time it's backstory about the bad boy Makki who's a bit of a wandering spirit or something. Some drama with Kira since Makki doesn't know if he wants to stay with the group or not as well. Guess there'll be an episode about Shun next?

Shun shun is my third favorite (after Tomii and Kira).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom