• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Winter Anime 2015 |OT| ZA WARUDO is not square!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Quasar

I thought it was safe for me to look ahead to the Spring schedule, considering I had managed to work out a comfortable Winter schedule of only ten shows.

Now I've got 9 shows lined up on my definite watchlist, plus another 8 at various levels of potential.

This sucks.

i'm not sure I see it as a problem. But then any season where I'm watching less than a dozen shows I consider a disaster.

Jarmel

Banned
What happened?

Reddit post got taken down but supposedly Jiro is a pain in the ass to work with, in that he was taking his feet with work on the anime, and it turned out into a bunch of infighting with Jiro's side winning and CIA getting kicked out.

Right.

AOTY is done.

Glad most people won't even bother reading the text and will just look at the title and pictures/gifs/webms before agreeing and disagreeing.

phaze

You know you would think Studio Pierrot would have a higher budget, considering that Tokyo Ghoul was the 4th top selling manga of 2014. I mean even its sequel is selling about 700K. But no they had to fuck it up, like they went to Toei level. 😞 Did they out source this episode?

Though I'm still gonna continue watching season 2 since I do find it enjoyable, but it's still dissapointing how they are ruining some aspects of the manga. Hope the next episode will be animated much better.

Ishida and whoever else with the stake in manga got their sales boost and they don't care no more.

Right.

AOTY is done.

Glad most people won't even bother reading the text and will just look at the title and pictures/gifs/webms before agreeing and disagreeing.

Seo>>>Mikorin

And you stole my justification for MeMeMe.

I still rewatching eternally never ever weekly, such a good dance.

It was funny in that episode when Makki did the V sign in the background when that enka singer was talking and then Kira got him to cut it out :p

Read this in your voice and it was twice as funny.
Pure scandinavian evil :)

H-Hey >_>

To be fair, at least two other shows also had Miss Monochrome in them. Im not sure what the connection is but she showed up a lot, to my enjoyment.

I should watch the last show I've not seen yet with her too :p

Quasar

Well that IS distracting.

Just got the Railgun S1 BluRay set and the sub has onee-sama! translated as Sissy!

Makes me want to apply fan subs to my blurays.

Vito

Banned
Plastic Memories PV2 http://a.pomf.se/tafjwc.mp4

P.S: new batch of pinups https://yande.re/post?tags=user:drop (gets updated in waves every few hours, big spreads come last usually with a slightly longer delay)

Edit: since no one posted Sidonia trailer for the movie earlier: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FEIp8XK0gCw and bonuses

tumblr_nizknrEo1f1sqqtwzo2_1280.jpg
tumblr_nizknrEo1f1sqqtwzo1_1280.jpg

Dynedom

Fafner: Exodus - 04

One of the biggest flaws going into this series was that the pilots introduced in the movie were never really fleshed out and are regular (if side) characters now. We get some moments focused on them but it still seems somewhat hollow. Fitting considering
they will most likely be dead within the next 2-3 episodes

That's partially being offset by the new pilots having their stories fleshed out. One nice touch here is how the show is handling
telling parents that their kids have been drafted
. It's great to see the different reactions.

Right now, its a lot of character and arc building, with the eventual payoff shortly on the horizon. It is nice to see this much set up but I can understand if this is painfully dull for some. You have to be invested into the hopelessness and cyclical nature of the Festum war and cycle of life and death within the series but it's probably fleshed out a little too heavy.

Bring on the despair.

cajunator

Banned
It was funny in that episode when Makki did the V sign in the background when that enka singer was talking and then Kira got him to cut it out :p

H-Hey >_>

I should watch the last show I've not seen yet with her too :p

You know I love ya Mikey :)

Plastic Memories PV2 http://a.pomf.se/tafjwc.mp4

P.S: new batch of pinups https://yande.re/post?tags=user:drop (gets updated in waves every few hours, big spreads come last usually with a slightly longer delay)

Edit: since no one posted Sidonia trailer for the movie earlier: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FEIp8XK0gCw and bonuses

Hmmm. Nothing too exciting but I might watch an episode or two.

striferser

Huge Nickleback Fan
Shirobako 16
Too good. Funny story, about time the editor got what he deserve.
Goth loli sama background story is interesting. Yeah, criticism hurt, but just agreeing won't turn it into a better work.

Ema sure is flexible. That pitching style is amazing.

Taro is still an idiot.

Also, i tried out Ema angel exercise. Feel good.

javac

Some news in regards to a few MVM Blu-ray releases in the UK. Onimonogatari has been pushed back to March 16th on DVD & Blu-ray. It was originally slated for a February 16th release.

Season two of Infinite Stratos on DVD has been pushed from March 16th to June 8th.

Super Sonico The Animation now has a release date of June 15th (DVD & Blu-ray.)

Also, some Amazon links for the upcoming Anime Limited releases are now live:

Finally some new UK artwork

javac

Too late. Already got ef on region free BD from the US :p

The UK anime industry in a nutshell, too slow and then things bomb. That's why I like Anime Limited, a lot of the stuff they do is on time with other regions (Kill la Kill for example) or quicker (Bebop was out on Blu-ray in mid 2013 for example in the UK). I've been nagging them to release Gunbuster on Blu-ray in the UK so if they do, it's all me! :p

I've also been talking to the head there at Anime Limited about packaging and since then they've been looking into that more. They're were proposing a Steelbook for Baccano for example but most people rejected that idea. I guess Anime fans don't like steelbooks *shrug* They still haven't decided if they should do a digipak or amaray for Baccano.

It all started with them releasing over-sized digipaks, I really hate them. The trays always come loose or some crap but they won't budge on size due to wanting to pack in large books with the Ultimate editions.

It all started with them releasing over-sized digipaks, I really hate them. The trays always come loose or some crap but they won't budge on size due to wanting to pack in large books with the Ultimate editions.

Digipaks are a fine packaging method if you don't go with a manufacturer who cuts their costs on materials. Most JP releases are with digipaks and I've never had the glue/disc/etc issue that we get with the NA/UK releases. I'm surprised ATA doesn't raise the price a tiny bit to utilize better materials for "collector's editions" especially with the screwups they've had lately.

javac

Digipaks are a fine packaging method if you don't go with a manufacturer who cuts their costs on materials. Most JP releases are with digipaks and I've never had the glue/disc/etc issue that we get with the NA/UK releases. I'm surprised ATA doesn't raise the price a tiny bit to utilize better materials for "collector's editions" especially with the screwups they've had lately.

No doubt, I actually in general like digipaks, but like you said only when done correctly. The backing for the digipak in my opinion must be high quality. When you use flimsy, cheap and/or thin card it becomes an issue as it doesn't go well with the hard and rigid plastic trays that house the discs. What you find is that the trays end up breaking away and falling off, or you feel like your going to bend the card every time you try to take the discs out.

It also doesn't help they Anime Limited in general tend to use weird mechanisms for taking the discs out. The Patema Inverted UE set for example has springs at the bottom edge of the tray that you have to push the disc towards for it to eject out. Maybe that's just me, but I tend to dislike those types of finicky mechanisms.

I own the Beez Gurren Lagann DVD set for example, and the digipaks there are really solid, as is the digipak for the US Gunbuster DVD set and such. Even Anime Limited's very own Kill la Kill release was pretty solid overall. I've echoed to Anime Limited my sentiments that I'd rather have a standard amaray (maybe a different color other than Blue) in a rigid box over a crappy digipak if you can't do them correctly. I own the Japanese Gunbuster Blu-ray set and I think it looks pretty awesome and wouldn't mind future sets looking like so:

Like you said, the Japanese sets generally have no issues with this and they release quite a few sets that utilize digipaks. I own the Haibane Renmei and Lain Japanese Blu-rays and they looks pretty awesome and are most importantly solid in build.
The famous Lagann Japanese/US set is also hefty (you could kill someone with it!) as is the Garden of Sinners set. The Japanese just get it right 9 times out of 10. Funny thing is as expensive as the Japanese releases are, a lot of them are just different colored amarays (usually black or white) in a rigid box, but you know what? They look cool and are solid with awesome artwork and that's good enough for me.

Jarmel

Banned

duckroll

Reddit post got taken down but supposedly Jiro is a pain in the ass to work with, in that he was taking his feet with work on the anime, and it turned out into a bunch of infighting with Jiro's side winning and CIA getting kicked out.

Spreading unfounded rumors about people from an anonymous source filled with mudslinging is never a good idea. Just saying.

Jarmel

Banned
Spreading unfounded rumors about people from an anonymous source filled with mudslinging is never a good idea. Just saying.

I do think that the reason they put out that general email was in response to the Reddit post. It really doesn't matter in the end though, as that's just the viewpoint of one person.

Midonin

Cinderella Girls 04

This episode was the one that reminded me of the first series' first episode, using the same general premise of filming a documentary about the girls, while also serving as a way for them to get some characterization beyond the their brief introduction back in episode two. While Ranko is still my favorite because of Mayayan, the others are growing on me. Kanako's cute, Anzu's.... certainly unique, and Rika seems like the second coming of Miki. I was going to say "A CD debut already? Seems quick," then I remembered that Sumire just got hers over in Aikatsu, so maybe it's not quite as farfetched after all.

Midonin

GARO -Seal of Flames- 16

Another story focusing on the townspeople and how the Horrors affect their lives, this time a mad doctor. I remember back when the show began, people were speculating German would be dead by now. He's still alive and flirting as much as ever, but even he is starting to be affected by the changes in the air with Alfonso being a much more hands-on ruler than anybody could've expected. I'm not getting a good omen for Leon's side of the story from the preview. It felt too happy.

javac

Some info on the UK Baccano Blu-ray release:
Waiting on approval before we post images but detail wise - we're actually working on accessing the extras for it from Funimation for our Blu-Ray release in the UK namely the audio commentaries created by the English staff, propaganda video etc :). So the best of both worlds on video content and we've some stuff planned for the physical that weren't in the US version so watch this space ^^.

TL;DR - £49.99 SRP for 16 eps, as much bonus content as possible incl things not on the US BD, good packaging and some things we can't reveal yet AND the price will go down on Amazon.

Saekano 03

It is so blatantly obvious that Kato is the perfect girl for him its almost sickening. Yet her being such a plain Jane is what makes her interesting compared to the rest of the cast. I think I like her the most now.

Shonen Hollywood 13

Lame is the new cool.

So Makki deals with some of his old friends, Kakeru with his family, Kira have a talk with his mother, Tomii with a kid that looks up to him and uh... Shun is around too. And then it ends as the real adventure begin.

Well, it's a more realistic idol show without going completely "kick them while they're down" like Wake Up Girls. There's not a lot of comedy in this show, but there's a lot of nice character moments and some light sad stuff.

The OP is decent and there's some nice music in the show, except for the out of place background music in episode 7.

All in all pretty good, so 3.5/5 horned owls:
MRZFSsd.png
MRZFSsd.png
MRZFSsd.png
dq84hFU.png
95nYciT.png

Midonin

Isuca 02

One of the lewdest shows this season, but the violence it has with the monster hunting is also surprisingly high. Shinichiro having some sort of special power that lets him join in the monster hunting isn't surprising, I'm just waiting for them to explain it. The most surprising thing was that both this episode and today's GARO episode involved a monster wearing one of those plague masks. Not the first thing I expected to find in more than one anime today.

Jex

I think at that point nerd culture as a commodity didn't exist yet, so it never had the feeling of being gross. You also had more more counterbalance inasmuch as the nerds on Genshiken know exactly what they're going to do with books full of cartoon ladies getting impaled by various phallic objects.

Now, they are just packaging nerd culture as something nerds should just consume at face value. Hell, there is a company where you pay them 20 bucks a month for them to send you a box of "nerd" shit and Saekano feels like the anime equivalent of that.

Hey man are you trying to put podcasts out of business? hater

Raxus

Death Parade 04

w8fIA.gif

I dunno but this episode struck a cord with me more than the other three which were also excellent.
For a second I thought it would be another double resurrection round

Trojita

Rapid Response Threadmaker
That Fafnir show is another level of terrible. It's so bland.

The only unique thing about the show is the OST. It's a really weird mix of a genre I can't put a name to.

Strangely enough the MC got a sex flag within the second episode of the show.

Also they spoiled a plot point you would have thought they'd have saved until later as a shocker.
When a Dragon gets close to the D that they are "paired" with (For those that haven't watched the show, A "D" is "human" with the powers of a Dragon. All D's are female except for the MC of course) the Dragon will cause the D to also transform into a Dragon, a Dragon that is implied to also be destructive and uncontrollable.

Shard

XBLAnnoyance
Death Parade Episode 4:

You know if Ginko here ever needs to find a new profession if this arbiter thing doesn't work out, he would make for a good Reality TV producer. Speaking of which, I am horrified to learn that Japan knows and watches Reality TV is, we must all rally together so that this blight on the universe is excised for all time.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom