• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Winter Anime 2015 |OT| ZA WARUDO is not square!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Upotte 08

This anime lacks any substance, makes no logical sense and is over the top lewd in the most bizarre way possible yet... I think I'm growing fond of this? Something is wrong with me.

Narag

Robot Girls Z 1

u8Di1sFl.jpg
A new AOTY contender appears, ~chu.

cajunator

Banned
Yeah a lot of those shows are like that from that era, Lain translated amazingly to Blu-ray (they took the original 35mm film and telecined it, and ABe himself personally recolored parts and added details to others etc, an amazing job) but your right in saying Haibane Renmei isn't the best upscale to say the least, being a show that wasn't made in HD and all that (as with most anime, even today). Nice package tho :) Still not seen the show fully, just flicked through the Bu-ray a bit. Obviously had to own it when I found out about it :p

Haibane Renmei is my #1 anime so it follows that I want the best possible quality of it. I might eventually get blurays for durability but the dvds are still excellent. Its not as if the show was a graphical showcase to begin with.

CDiggity

JoJo 28

They wrote Kakiyoin's name in Arabic as نوريأكي كاكيوإن when it should have been
نورياكي كاكيوين.

0/10, Japan sucks at languages.

No but seriously, Anubis is an odd arc and generally not as strong as others, but they did pretty well with it.

Superflat

Saekano 3
The girls are cute, and Eri sporting Zettai Ryouki. Enough reason to like this show for me. It's not going to offer a deep story or anything. Just mindless fun with a bit of meta and 4th wall joke.

The aspect that draws me in the is the aspect of creating. Like Genshiken, Nozaki-kun, Shirobako, etc, the premise of a group of people working together to make a project has always had its allure, since it's something I'm interested in myself.

What also helps is that I like the protagonist, as he's not a copy of a prototypical "nice guy" male harem lead (in this real-but-not-real harem). He's easily the most passionate person on the team, to the point where it's obnoxious. He's just as much of a weirdo as the supporting cast.

I can see where in-jokes become pandering and unfunny. I find this kind of stuff annoying too if it's clearly coming from a disingenuous place but I think it fits here well.

Haibane Renmei is my #1 anime so it follows that I want the best possible quality of it. I might eventually get blurays for durability but the dvds are still excellent. Its not as if the show was a graphical showcase to begin with.

YEAHH!! I love that show to bits.

javac

I may have to watch it one day. Still don't know what to watch. Every time I think of watching Haibane Renmei I think it looks too slow and boring, which is weird because Texhnolyze is one of my favourite shows of all time and I was hyped to watch Haibane not too long ago. It's like no matter what I look at to watch, I have negative feelings for it. Either it looks too silly, or too dark or too boring. Sad times.

Jarmel

Banned
Death Parade-4

The ending got me emotionally but this is a fucking mess. This needs to be a lot longer than 23 minutes. This is just too short for what they're trying to do.

Death Parade-4

The ending got me emotionally but this is a fucking mess. This needs to be a lot longer than 23 minutes. This is just too short for what they're trying to do.

I think so too. They're doing the best they can with such a short format but I kinda think more of Death Billiards would've been better served as some longer OVAs or something like that

hipbabboom

Huh? What did I say? Did I screw up again? :(
So I was watching ISUCA and something about the characters kept reminding me about the character designs from the Mezzo series. I did a little digging and found that the while the Character designs were attributed to two different people, the studio involved was ARMS. That got me wondering (since I don't know two much about the anime production process)...

Can a studio influence the designs of character in such a manner that the influence becomes visible in unrelated series with completely different staffs?

Jarmel

Banned
I think so too. They're doing the best they can with such a short format but I kinda think more of Death Billiards would've been better served as some longer OVAs or something like that

I'm starting to feel like the actual in-game format and time restrictions are just way too restrictive for the stories that they want to tell. I feel like this as a concept would be much better as something like a dark version of It's a Wonderful Life. I mean this episode the otaku got pretty much no development.

Midonin

Fairy Tail - Eclipse Arc End

Booyah, Wakamoto showed up to record a few lines and bid our heroes farewell. That's the second anime-original arc that's heavily revolved around Lucy, but I don't really mind. I like Lucy. The reversed versions of the spirits were fun, but their original personalities are more familiar. I don't need to see more weird gravure videos with Eclipse Virgo. Spending a little more time with Princess Mimorin was cool, though. Hisui/Lucy/Yukino is now my OT3 for this show. And maybe Canna. I am ready to get back to manga material, as long as there's no more gaps this time.

Jarmel

Banned
I should mention the other issue I'm having with Death Parade is actually knowing where people are ending up. I think this would work a bit better if it was left open ended.

Shin Mazinger Z - 6

I liked how in this episode the characters were basically recapping the fight from the last few episodes and thus bringing me up to speed on the current situation given how long I put this show on hold for.

I mean, I already kind of knew what was going on, but this episode helped quite a bit.

Crisis has been averted.

The full version OP of Yoru no Yatterman is still really good.

Will happily label it as one of my favorites of the season.

Along with having it on repeat for the next couple of days.

Narag

Robot Girls Z 3 FIN

Excellent ending to a great little show. Honestly reminds of GBF to a degree as it's really accessible and well done on its own but the referential humor is a little something extra for fans of the base property, ~chu.

Midonin

PriPara 30

That in this world exists an outfit that requires research into what it does, and Meganee is gladly offering it as a prize in an idol contest, makes me wonder about what's going on in this world. Not that there's a sparkly dress that only top-level idols can wear. Fantastic suits of armor and invisibility cloaks and the like, magical clothing has existed throughout history. Everyone in Aikatsu has enough Premium outfits to make them seem common, and PriPara has enough regular outfits where it makes it clear the differences between them come down to charisma. So for something to be on Life Fiber level, it makes me wonder what kind of world this is. Is Meganee just going to release this unresearched and untested outfit into the world? Or did they already complete research and she knows what it does? Because there's a notable difference in the two.

Then there's Falulu. A pure tabula rasa who only learns by imitation, not really having the sense of free will to develop a style of her own beyond the one Making Drama, that's known. That she was
born from a Ticket makes her more of a LRIG. Who put her in there? Can this happen to any idol?
I don't think Unicorn was bluffing - she's haughty, but hasn't outright lied, so I want to know where this is going. There's only eight more episodes left to this season, and while Lala's storyline may not be wrapped up, Falulu's must conclude so the heavenly battle can take over the city-state of idoldom.

Have I mentioned that I love "Change! My World" yet? Because that song rocks.

Fbh

Gold Member
Tokyo Ghoul Root A 4

Is it me or was the animation quality really bad this week?
Most of it looked really bad and only got worse in motion. The action scenes didn't feel dynamic and lacked any sense of speed or impact, it was as if they were fighting in slow motion or something (except they weren't)

Death Parade 1-4

I still don't know what to think about this show. I sort of like the concept, and the chapters are fun to watch, but I agree with the people above saying it would work better with longer episodes. Plus I'm not sure how they are going to make this work as a show. This "story of the week" formula will work for 5 or so episodes but I hope to see a main plot at some point.

Oh and, damn, I love that Opening. First one I actually watch every episode since....damn, probably Cowboy Bebop

Lain

Death Parade 3

This episode was pretty great. It even moved me at the end. There is always the bitter taste because these characters are dead but it had plenty of sweetness too and the ending was perfect for my taste, all considered.
So good.

Tokyo Ghoul something A 4

Of the 4 episodes so far, I enjoyed this the most, mostly because it was 80% action. I'm not completely sure of what was happening at the end, except that he was growing some kind of armor, but I guess next episode will shed some light.

Tokyo Ghoul Root A 4

Is it me or was the animation quality really bad this week?
Most of it looked really bad and only got worse in motion. The action scenes didn't feel dynamic and lacked any sense of speed or impact, it was as if they were fighting in slow motion or something (except they weren't)

Death Parade 1-4

I still don't know what to think about this show. I sort of like the concept, and the chapters are fun to watch, but I agree with the people above saying it would work better with longer episodes. Plus I'm not sure how they are going to make this work as a show. This "story of the week" formula will work for 5 or so episodes but I hope to see a main plot at some point.

Oh and, damn, I love that Opening. First one I actually watch every episode since....damn, probably Cowboy Bebop

Episode 4 of Root A was outsourced which is why the animation quality dropped, probably a production problem. Hope next episode won't be like that.

Countdown to a new anime project thingy.

The tagline is "The restoration of the world begins."

Whatever it is, I hope it's something I want to watch.

Rumours are going around that it's going to be a movie. I haven't seen any real confirmation on that though.

On what's supposedly seems to be the official twitter account for the movie, a rough Google translation of the screen name reads: Anime "the world to break the glass of flowers."

I don't know about you, but the visual on the site gives me Celestial Method vibes for some reason. I doubt this has anything to do with that though.

cajunator

Banned
So I was watching ISUCA and something about the characters kept reminding me about the character designs from the Mezzo series. I did a little digging and found that the while the Character designs were attributed to two different people, the studio involved was ARMS. That got me wondering (since I don't know two much about the anime production process)...

Can a studio influence the designs of character in such a manner that the influence becomes visible in unrelated series with completely different staffs?

Yes.

kannagi and Studio A-1 influenced the design of K-on by KyoAni.

Santa Company
The big flaw in this show is that it introduces complex concepts and alludes to backstory yet it spends to far too little time explaining This would have worked better as something 40 minutes as we barely know these characters and their semi-random reasoning. Otherwise, it's kind of cute

Garden of Words
A very pretty anime. Also some strong usage of motifs though I don't understand what exactly they mean. As for the actual story, it is kind of weak. Starts off fairly slow and then goes heavyhanded. Not particularly well aimed and the climax feels kind of poor

A Certain Scientific Railgun - 16

Not a bad two-parter. I liked how they resolved Mii's backstory.

I thought they were gonna kill off Kurozuma at the last second, like how most of these kinds of stories go down. But sure enough, they didn't do that. I liked how they both accepted each other for who they were by having Kurozuma turn himself in with Mii being the one arresting him, yet they still manage to keep whole tone relatively positive.

Syrinx

Barakamon 12-End

Though I was generally pleased with the ending, I didn't really care for the first half being about his mother going crazy trying to convince him to stay at home. For someone we only just saw for the first time the previous episode, to have her take on that role seemed forced, particularly since he's a grown-ass man.

Great and incredibly charming series overall. Glad I watched this before casting my AOTY ballot.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom