• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Winter Anime 2015 |OT| ZA WARUDO is not square!

Status
Not open for further replies.
To follow up on the update I did previously, I will post the remainder of the US Anime releases for the month of February 2015. Releases from 27th of January to the 3rd of February can be found here: LINK (Links go to amazon.com unless it's an exclusive item, price correct at time of post. Some still don't have links or box-art)
Blu-ray

DVD

If you find any errors or have any tips, please let me know :) I'm thinking of just posting a link to this in the thread as the releases get closer as a reminder but feel free to use this yourself.
Look at yours truly!
kWIkO3d.jpg

Had it preordered for awhile, the dub is one of Sentai's best so Im really hyped. Should also be getting that Tiger & Bunny movie too.

Rainy

Banned
Ore, Twintail ni Narimasu 1-12

With such a unique premise for the show I wasn't sure what to expect. It's cliche and has a lot of running gags that go on way too long, but it was still pretty entertaining. The animation was pretty good in some sequences (terrible in the later episodes though), and there were definitely some funnier moments. A pleasant surprise I suppose. Aika is best girl! Also the ED was pretty catchy.

Sölf

Going to rewatch the last 4 episodes of Durarara!! now (already watched 1-21 + 12.5). After that I can finally watch the second season. After watching the first 2 episodes of S2 I realized, that I pretty much forgot everything. xD

Also, Ping Pong. Going to take a look if that show is really as good as people claim.

Naruto Shippuden Episode 397

This chuunin exam is amazing. It got me to rewatch Naruto pt1 again from the chuunin exam and it is also just as amazing. Shikamaru was a great proctor, I cant wait to see what other do.

Also I guess they are using this to give Neji lots of screentime since we havent seen him in ages.

fertygo

Shirobako - 16

Another satisfying episode.. and what impresses me this eps seem packing a ton of character and tone and yet its very balanced all-around..
Outside of major scene, I really like the cinematography lesson by the director, the producer team also had great scene in this episode.

Fafner: Exodus Episode 4

This is getting all emotional now with the parents and relatives of the new pilots trying to inspire them but also to deal with them now going into a defensive role protective role.

Amatarasu and Tsukuyomi best ones.

I liked the comedy with them changing into their suits it was funny.

cajunator

Banned
Leviathan was super-cute. I kinda want to buy that BD Dub.

It is an adorable show yeah.
Nothing special though.

Idolm@ster Cinderella Girls 01-03

I think I understand Idorus a bit more now. Pretty enjoyable show so far.
How many episodes is this?

The show doesnt have some of the best girls in it, but you made all the right choices here. Im proud of you.

So how bad is AO, really? I've heard some bad words about it, but the hate here seems... delicious.

Its worse than you fear. Beyond nightmares.

:mad:

EDIT: Seriously though... It starts with they typical gun fight with some clever tactics. After two of the combatants have been taken out cut to...
elf girl masturbating behind a tree, getting off at the tactical genius of usagi-san.
At first I was in shock. Then I cried. Then I cursed the name of MikeHattsu and all who come after him!

I love this show too. It seems to cause such controversy.

Haha. There it is.

Read this in your voice and it was twice as funny.
Pure scandinavian evil :)

Barakamon 1

Was kinda hard to focus the first 5 minutes or so since I was still recovering from Space Dandy's end to end all ends. But this was a really good first episode.

This show is super adorable and will wash away the sins of any recent anime that transgressed you.

There are people who try to defend this show too.

Haruka's influence is waning.

Hail Miki!

Defend Upotte? I even bought a copy!
*hugs Upotte

It also had Chiaki Omigawa in it. That's about the extent of the good parts of AO.

Well at least you identified the good parts!
Need more elena!

Tokyo Ghoul Root A 04

It was only a matter of time before the "impenetrable" Ghoul cell was gonna get busting into. This episode was really great at building up tension by showing jut how powerful Aogiri are and also revealing some shocking backstory. It's no wonder Amon became an investigator after what I learned about his childhood. Shinohara was a badass as usual, and also showing off Arata's Koukaku, which is pretty fucked up if you think about it. Its esentially like showing up to a fight with armor made out of the corpse of the opponents father. Kaneki looks like he's got issues to deal with. Maybe joining the bad guys wasn't the most healthy thing to do.

And hurray, the negative filter is back! I missed you =/

javac

Patlabor Early Days OVA + Movie 1&2

...Goddamn these were good. Been a while since I've seen a cast that engaging to watch - Gotoh and Kanuka are especially based. And it scratches that cel animation itch so well. The movies have some great Kenji Kawai tracks too. Just the whole package of goodness.

At this rate I'd have to check out the TV series after all, even though it's a reboot, just to get more of this lovable cast. Hope the absence of Oshii's direction and the change of studio as well as the format won't be too much of a quality drop.

Nothing I will say hasn't already been said but Patlabor is my favourite series so it's always great to see more people watch it and enjoy it. When I first watched Patlabor I actually started with the TV series, Patlabor on Television and then it's sequel Patlabor The New Files. I have to say these two series are truly worth your time if you enjoyed the Movie timeline, 100% without a doubt. Even of you didn't, I'd still recommend it.

The TV series and it's follow up doesn't focus on the labors themselves and the mechanics that they are comprised off as much as say The Early Days OVA. Being Oshii and all that you expect that level of detail and world building. The TV series focuses a lot more on the human characters with a large portion of the episodes focused entirely on just them alone.

It's a very funny series, and very varied in tone and scale. Some episodes are very much focused on action while others focus on more mundane scenarios while a few are borderline silly, in the best way possible of course. You'll be on the edge of your seat but will also laugh your ass off as the series runs it's lengthy but never tiresome course.

Great music from the background stuff to the awesome openings and endings. The voices are all consist to what you've heard prior, obviously the script isn't as intricate as the Movies but that goes without saying. Just all around awesome.

I'd actually say by watching the TV series and OVA first I actually ended up enjoying the movies more as I'd come to love the cast dearly and seeing how they grew was emotional. Some of my favourite episodes are the ones in which not much happens because the characters are so amazing to watch. Do watch all the series, you won't regret it.

Oh and the 3rd Movie is pretty good too. I don't know how well it is received around these parts but I greatly enjoyed it as a thriller/horror movie that takes place in the Patlabor universe. Based on a segment in the manga if I'm correct?

Man... Rolling Girls episode 1 really was too good to be true, practically fell asleep in episode 3, don't like any of the main characters, should've been about green girl and the safetypin chick, dropped.

Moaradin

Man... Rolling Girls episode 1 really was too good to be true, practically fell asleep in episode 3, don't like any of the main characters, should've been about green girl and the safetypin chick, dropped.

Episode 2 was just as good as the first one. I was pretty meh on episode 3 too, but I won't write it off yet.

cajunator

Banned
Got my Chuu2 today. Very, very nice. One of nicest anime boxes I own.

Yeah its a magnificent boxset. So much happiness packed into that one box.
The dub though...ARGH

YESSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSS
I needed this.

Shonen Hollywood 10

Oh, it's that episode with Miss Monochrome in it.

They finally get to go on a proper TV show where they sing and stuff then. Guess it's all thanks to Kou, which they met in the last episode, who also appears on the same show.

To be fair, at least two other shows also had Miss Monochrome in them. Im not sure what the connection is but she showed up a lot, to my enjoyment.

To follow up on the update I did previously, I will post the remainder of the US Anime releases for the month of February 2015. Releases from 27th of January to the 3rd of February can be found here: LINK (Links go to amazon.com unless it's an exclusive item, price correct at time of post. Some still don't have links or box-art)
Blu-ray

DVD

If you find any errors or have any tips, please let me know :) I'm thinking of just posting a link to this in the thread as the releases get closer as a reminder but feel free to use this yourself.

A bunch of stuff that already got shipped to me early, but interestingly I see Comic Party in there back from the dead. Already have ancient DVDs though so no buy.

Shirobako - 16

10/10

This part right here made me squee so much. Worth watching the episode just for this sequence and that surprised squeak.

Shirobako Episode 16:

God damn this a truly amazing series to keep up the momentum this far in, I just wish I had more to say about any given episode. Also, I just know if that Gothic Lolita Baseball actually existed Anime GAF would be trying to convince me it was one of the best titles from that season or indeed the year.

The closest we have is Taisho Baseball Girls and that wasnt goth loli. It was sufficiently cute though! I would certainly watch such a show.

Neon Genesis Evangelion - 09

Asuka is pretty great.

Speaking of great, that glorious display of grace brought a tear to my eye

Webm is truly the future. I am weeping. What is this sorcery?
What is the secret?

YEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEES

lol

I dont see any falling sakura petals. This is not the most firehawk thing ever.

Shikamaru was in charge of the 1st part of the exam and Temari is in charge of the 2nd.

The filler is taking many opportunities to show the two of them together and interact with each other.

Narag

Shikamaru was in charge of the 1st part of the exam and Temari is in charge of the 2nd.

The filler is taking many opportunities to show the two of them together and interact with each other.

Thanks, looks like it might be something fun to pop in and check out after not watching it in forever, ~chu.

duckroll

Animator Expo #11 - Power Plant No.33

Finally, another story focused short in the series. I like the music videos, but we've gotten a lot of them lately, so it's nice to see some actual dialogue and plot again. I love kaiju settings, especially those which use them in interesting ways tied to society, so this was right down my alley. It's the sort of short story which has a really seductive setting, filled with interesting details and teases of what the larger world is like, but instead of doing something bigger with it, it tells a rather incidental story. That's fine for a short format, and I enjoyed it quite a bit, but I sure wouldn't mind an expansion of this in a longer movie, net anime series, or whatever. Maybe this can be Yoshiura's next project. :)

Power plant no 33 was the best thing that studio has ever done, such a compelling world. I wish it had focused less on the people and more on the leviathan class entities, they were glorious.

CDiggity

Power Plant No. 33

So that's what would happen if Godzilla was used as an atomic battery. Makes sense, but you would imagine that the people of that city have a backup plan because of what would inevitably happen with all Kaiju...they must fight.

Oh, and I guess was directed well and looked great.

Also, whoever designed and animated the monster and the robot deserve a pay raise.

Shirobako 16

GxL3YfU.gif

Funny story. This show is so consistently good, I have nothing to really say except that I really enjoyed this episode. Goth loli is amazing. Ema is adorable. Animators are incredible people. As a designer, I know the pain of constantly having your work criticized and having to remake things without any guidance over and over again. I feel your pain :(

I would watch every single anime they introduced in this show. Give me goth loli baseball damnit!

Jarmel

Banned
Yea starting to think that Reddit post was true:

email said:
Dear All,

In this announcement, we want to explain in brief about the how and why of our creating the new UTD creative team.
Thanks to a lot of support from our backers and creators, the UTD project has successfully advanced from the mainly public relations and fundraising stage to the more focused animation production stage.
We have become indeed excited about this fantastic opportunity and firmly convinced that the a finished version of our UTD film based on first-rate audiovisual techniques will take the animation industry around the world by storm.
However, we also have to confess that we tackled the trying times to go to the next stage. Over past several months, there had been differences arisen at this stage over a future creative shape of UTD contents. While many different and sometimes conflicting ideas were proposed and considered by all of the UTD members, we managed to narrow them down to the two promising creative directions: One suggested by a group led by Kinema Citrus (KC), the other growing out of a team spearhead by Creative Intelligence Arts (CIA).

People both from KC and CIA discussed from various perspectives for so long with integrity and sincerity which one will work better for UTD animation. The result of such considerable and continuous discussions and negotiations between both sides incarnated in the form of the constructive departure of the CIA people from the UTD project and the meaningful establishment of a new UTD creative team mainly led by KC. This was a really tough decision but does not in any way mean the abandonment of the basic policy that we wrote here on the Kickstarter.com website at early stage.
We promise and assure you that we move ahead powerfully on the UTD project and continue to be on backers' side as heretofore.In fact, morale, passion, and commitment of new team members remain intact. Although a brief preparation is still necessary and a full-fledged operation by the new UTD creative team is expected around mid-February, in the meantime we will stay in touch with you by regular updates and FAQs which we are preparing right now.

We hope that you will enjoy our future UTD movie.
Thank you so much for your continued passion!

See you in a little while,
UTD creative team

Syrinx

Barakamon 4

I was starting to feel bad for Naru's parents, but then I realized they just let her run around the island all day every day and they have to put up with her less than anybody. Not that Naru's bad; in fact she's quite entertaining. She's just a real handful.

Which ones are her parents, anyway?

Shirobako 16

1u86caL.jpg

Holy crap she can get that leg up there.

Another great episode. Totally went a different direction with the character design stuff than I was expecting but still was enjoyable. Got to learn a bit more about other members of the cast besides Aoi and it was nice to just see them out relaxing for once.

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
PP33:

So this is what happens when Trigger is working with a screenwriter who knows what they're doing.

I want more of this so badly.

Link Man

Banned
Nanoha A's 5+6

So we get a taste of Raging Heart's and Bardiche's new powers, as well as the power of the Book of Darkness. And we have a new masked man who seems to be...neutral? Hard to tell.

Episode 6 was a lot more interesting, as it delved into the background of the Cloud Knights and their relationship with Hayate. Nothing too surprising, but it did help to humanize the characters and explain their motivations.
I wonder if they will try to turn against the Book after using it to heal Hayate, if it comes to that.

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
Btw, today's Shirobako taught me where this came from:
V9vWy.gif

At least, I assume that "angel dance" is the basis for what she's doing.

Japan Animator Expo - POWER PLANT No. 33
6eb45.png

Ah yes, feels good to have an original piece of work again with some good animation. Definitely enjoyed it, although I do wish these type of things could be longer.

Freakin' TRIGGER's at it again......this time with a good writer.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom