• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Winter Anime 2015 |OT| ZA WARUDO is not square!

Status
Not open for further replies.

fertygo

Japan Animator Expo - POWER PLANT No. 33
6eb45.png

Ah yes, feels good to have an original piece of work again with some good animation. Definitely enjoyed it, although I do wish these type of things could be longer.

Freakin' TRIGGER's at it again......this time with a good writer.

Snarky comment and all that.. but where's the writer "achievement" in this?

Shirobako 16

I wonder how common it is for creators to meddle in their anime adaptations of their works, or to what extent they are allowed to meddle. Would this episode be a showcase of the normal author approval process? I don't really want to compare it to what I've heard about Horizon's author.

And also, the veteran production assistant is literally worse than Tarou. At least he's genuine in his idiocy and admits it, but the new guy is just an ass.

Yoru no Yatterman 1-3

I love how bleak this is. The tonal shift from everything that was early Tatsunoko animation is actually quite refreshing. I can't wait to see where this goes.

Trojita

Rapid Response Threadmaker
Isuca Episode 1 -

These censors are out of control. I'm going to have to wait for BD's.

Also what the heck, the ED has much better character designs than the main anime. What the fuck guys.

Quasar

Fellow aussies. Just noticed the ios version of the Animelab app has appeared. Seems to work, though it only supports airplay and not googlecast. Which bums me out.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
Saekano 3

I think maybe it's good that I didn't watch the otaku husband anime or the manga bookstore anime with Kobayashi last season, because Saekano engenders a kind of rage that I haven't felt since the end of the first SAO.

It was a slow burn through the three episodes, but just look at this shit:

JTdzbQdl.png

L1x2BHFl.jpg

Oh just fuck off. What was cute metatextuality 5 years ago on shows like Genshiken is now insufferable masturbation that satisfies no one except the very audience that should be smart enough to see through this shit.

I don't know if it's because I've become inundated with this garbage from both the Japanese side and the American side, but this self-aware fandom nonsense really has reached peak bullshit.

The thing is, I don't even care that it's a harem, or that it's a show about making a dating sim where the guy who wants to make it brings nothing to the table other than the fact that he has a penis that all the girls want to sit on. It's that shows like this just don't earn these kinds of moments:

QEMOIjvl.jpg

Hey director/writer! YOU ARE NOT FUNNY. YOU DO NOT GET TO MAKE A JOKE ABOUT THE SHITTY WRITING OF YOUR SHOW JUST BECAUSE YOU KNOW THE NERD AUDIENCE WILL EAT THIS SHIT UP.

When I seethe about the death of nerd culture, this is what I'm talking about, where the very media we consume isn't merely a reflection of our sycophantic desires, but an actual representation of it. Saekano is a show that keeps trying to remind me that I'm a part of this "insidery" group in an effort to get me to identify with the characters or at least the situations that the characters find themselves in, and all it does it make hate everyone involved... including myself.

Articalys

I thought it was safe for me to look ahead to the Spring schedule, considering I had managed to work out a comfortable Winter schedule of only ten shows.

Now I've got 9 shows lined up on my definite watchlist, plus another 8 at various levels of potential.

This sucks.

FluxWaveZ

Animator Expo #11 - Power Plant No.33

Can't say I could truly appreciate this one. It looked nice, and it gives the viewer a good understanding of the world it takes place in during just a short time, but I guess I didn't feel like enough happened in it to keep my interest. I guess the overt message in this one was people's reliance on technology, so much so that it becomes overbearing.

Animator Expo #10 - Yamadeloid

Really enjoyed this short. Though by the books, the story was told with so much energy and at such a pace that I felt I had seen an OVA once it was over. Was just fun a fun thing to watch. That dancing at the end was a bit silly (although fun, too).

Syrinx

Barakamon 5

Who swims in gym clothes?

Barakamon 6

This kid's name is Kanzaki, much like the demon spawn from hell Kansaki Mizuki. While not as horrible, this kid's a douche and I'm glad he got punched in the face.

Saekano 3

I think maybe it's good that I didn't watch the otaku husband anime or the manga bookstore anime with Kobayashi last season, because Saekano engenders a kind of rage that I haven't felt since the end of the first SAO.

JTdzbQdl.png

L1x2BHFl.jpg

Oh just fuck off. What was cute metatextuality 5 years ago on shows like Genshiken is now insufferable masturbation that satisfies no one except the very audience that should be smart enough to see through this shit.

I don't know if it's because I've become inundated with this garbage from both the Japanese side and the American side, but this self-aware fandom nonsense really has reached peak bullshit.

The thing is, I don't even care that it's a harem, or that it's a show about making a dating sim where the guy who wants to make it brings nothing to the table other than the fact that he has a penis that all the girls want to sit on. It's that shows like this just don't earn these kinds of moments:

QEMOIjvl.jpg

Hey director/writer! YOU ARE NOT FUNNY. YOU DO NOT GET TO MAKE A JOKE ABOUT THE SHITTY WRITING OF YOUR SHOW JUST BECAUSE YOU KNOW THE NERD AUDIENCE WILL EAT THIS SHIT UP.

When I seethe about the death of nerd culture, this is what I'm talking about, where the very media we consume isn't merely a reflection of our sycophantic desires, but an actual representation of it. Saekano is a show that keeps trying to remind me that I'm a part of this "insidery" group in an effort to get me to identify with the characters or at least the situations that the characters find themselves in, and all it does it make hate everyone involved... including myself.

So it took you 3 episodes to reach the same point I did in 5 minutes of ep 0. OP included.

Saekano 3

JTdzbQdl.png

L1x2BHFl.jpg

QEMOIjvl.jpg

Aw yes, the Duke Nukem Forever approach to "satire": Deride the tropes common within the medium while also gleefully indulging in said tropes.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
So it took you 3 episodes to reach the same point I did in 5 minutes of ep 0. OP included.
There's an episode 0? Christ...

Aw yes, the Duke Nukem Forever approach to "satire": Deride the tropes common within the medium while also gleefully indulging in said tropes.
I feel like the difference is Duke Nukem is just sad. Like an old comedian trying to tell jokes that used to be funny in the 80s but are considered hack now. Saekano is very much reflected in the zeitgeist of nerd culture right now.

As a society, we're getting closer and closer to just having a show called "Reddit vs 4chan".

Quasar

There's an episode 0? Christ...

Yeah. 0 was a in media res episode set apparently at almost the end of the series.

I do kind of wonder about the books, which are supposedly famed for this commentary. I've not really read prose with fourth wall breakage etc. Just comics and animation/live action. I guess starting way back with Byrnes SheHulk runs.

I guess you didn't like Nozaki-kun either, which treads similar ground (media commentary).

Firehawk12 said:
What was cute metatextuality 5 years ago on shows like Genshiken is now insufferable masturbation that satisfies no one except the very audience that should be smart enough to see through this shit.

So what's the diff. in what genshiken does and what saekano does Firehawk, coming from someone who never saw genshiken

firehawk12

Subete no aware
So what's the diff. in what genshiken does and what saekano does Firehawk, coming from someone who never saw genshiken
I think at that point nerd culture as a commodity didn't exist yet, so it never had the feeling of being gross. You also had more more counterbalance inasmuch as the nerds on Genshiken know exactly what they're going to do with books full of cartoon ladies getting impaled by various phallic objects.

Now, they are just packaging nerd culture as something nerds should just consume at face value. Hell, there is a company where you pay them 20 bucks a month for them to send you a box of "nerd" shit and Saekano feels like the anime equivalent of that.

Quasar

Well genshiken is a lot about anime clubs and that culture. Not so much about the characters living a manga (aside from now in the manga as its been ruined by turning it into a harem comedy).

wonzo

Banned
Saekano 3

pls dont compare those two shows to crap like this or sao

Branduil

Saekano 3

I only watched a couple episodes of the otaku husband anime but I'm not sure it deserves to be lumped in with those other ones.

Saekano 3

JTdzbQdl.png

L1x2BHFl.jpg

QEMOIjvl.jpg

Great review! I entirely agree that going "lol isn't this genre terrible" with a series 100% within that genre is completely stupid. It's not funny, and it's not much in the way of commentary either; it's just stupid. If you know how bad it is, why are you making something so terrible? Make something better!

Of course, I do have a problem with how useless MC guy is, though. I know this is terrible harem, but with girls as accomplished as two of the main girls are, there is no possible reason that they would like a guy as useless as the MC is. But of course, it's apparently much easier to make an anime about an awful harem game being made within an awful harem series than it would be to make something actually competent. That doesn't excuse how incredibly bad this stuff is at all, though.

Eh, the otaku husband anime is decent, but manga bookstore series seemed awful from what I saw of it (two terrible episodes)...

SAO is far, far worse than anything else being mentioned here, they're not on the same level at all, but that otaku-bookstore show was NOT good.

Animator Expo 11 - Power Plant No. 33

Not as interesting as the previous shorts. I do like how they were able to deliver a message to the audience (our over reliance on technology is bad) effectively within a short timespan, but overall nothing interesting happened. The Robot and Kaiju trade two punches, and 70% of their fight is spent winding up said punches. I do think that that is some impressive cgi on the robot and kaiju though.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
Firehawk I caught up with Justified. S5 is by far the weakest but even a bad Justified season is better than your favorite anime.
Yeah, S5 is trash (that Orange is the New Black ripoff) but I don't disagree. lol

I only watched a couple episodes of the otaku husband anime but I'm not sure it deserves to be lumped in with those other ones.
See I consider those shows magnitudes worse than SAO at its worst or Saekano.
I only watched the first episode of both, but they had the touch of the "we're nerds just like you!" sickness that Saekano has.

wonzo

Banned
I only watched the first episode of both, but they had the touch of the "we're nerds just like you!" sickness that Saekano has.
danna ga is a legit great short series (which i also foolishly dismissed after the first ep) and denki-gai is a decent adaptation of a much better workplace romcom manga. the later is still way better than tripe like sao + saekano tho!

Quasar

I just found like most comedy shorts the married on terribly unfunny. As bad as the werewolf detective show. Much better is the Spotted Flower manga.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
Don't get me wrong, I hate SAO for completely different reasons than I hate Saekano!

Great review! I entirely agree that going "lol isn't this genre terrible" with a series 100% within that genre is completely stupid. It's not funny, and it's not much in the way of commentary either; it's just stupid. If you know how bad it is, why are you making something so terrible? Make something better!
The lampshade is a move that you can only use if you earn it. For example, you can't tell me how lame your "take my wife" joke is unless you've already made me laugh with a much better joke. It's why I'm fine with something like Sabagebu has the narrator that basically explains the joke to you, but when it's used just to excuse a flaw, it is just garbage.

Don't get me wrong, I hate SAO for completely different reasons than I hate Saekano!

The lampshade is a move that you can only use if you earn it. For example, you can't tell me how lame your "take my wife" joke is unless you've already made me laugh with a much better joke. It's why I'm fine with something like Sabagebu has the narrator that basically explains the joke to you, but when it's used just to excuse a flaw, it is just garbage.

True. And perhaps similarly, I think it's really stupid when a series such as this one or TWOGK has characters that talk about the "2d" world as if they are '3D", but then has these "3D" people act EXACTLY the same as the 2d ones! The girls are equally obsessed with MC guy for no reason, etc. There is no "3d" world in these shows, which makes it so much stupider when the characters talk as if their world is different from the one they're referencing.

That is a major part of why this kind of thing makes the harem element of these shows worse and even harder than usual to believe, something I said some other reasons for disliking in the paragraph I added to my last post.

But yes, something like Sabagebu is great. I liked that show a lot, would watch more for sure!

cajunator

Banned
Upotte 06

This has to be the most SDBurton anime I've seen. Move over Yamibo.

yami was too yuri for sdburton. No way Upotte could top it.

I thought it was safe for me to look ahead to the Spring schedule, considering I had managed to work out a comfortable Winter schedule of only ten shows.

Now I've got 9 shows lined up on my definite watchlist, plus another 8 at various levels of potential.

This sucks.

Thats a great problem to have.

Barakamon 5

Who swims in gym clothes?

Barakamon 6

This kid's name is Kanzaki, much like the demon spawn from hell Kansaki Mizuki. While not as horrible, this kid's a douche and I'm glad he got punched in the face.

How's your impression of the series so far?

Syrinx

Barakamon 8

Lol at Sensei's present to Naru.

Sensei also brings up something I've been wondering; who and where the hell are Naru's parents? They probably aren't dead, since they weren't at the grave. So...what gives?

Articalys

Thats a great problem to have.
No, it really isn't. Maybe for you, but you're super special in your anime habits compared to... well, pretty much anyone else I know of.

Almost all the "main" stuff I'm eyeing for Spring are sequels, too. How the hell does that even happen?

You totally fell in love with this show hehee.
i dont blame you though!

More like fell in love with Solar ;o

Although yes, I figured I'd love the show. Any idea how well it did? Would love to see a new season, and would love to get some figures of Tailred like we've seen in the show! lol.

Syrinx

How's your impression of the series so far?
I definitely enjoy it a lot. Gotta good comedy mixed in with a handful of sweet moments. Wondering how they're gonna pull off the ending though. I can't imagine he's going to stay there permanently and put calligraphy to the side for good. If he does indeed leave like I expect him to, I just wonder what they'll do with Naru.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom