• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Winter Anime 2015 |OT| ZA WARUDO is not square!

Status
Not open for further replies.

phaze

Holy shit, those last 20 minutes of Madoka Rebellion.

I finally understand,

Homura did nothing wrong.

This is why
all religions hate homosexuals.

Japan Animator Expo EP 13: evangelion:Another Impact(Confidential)on Feb 6th.

http://animatorexpo.com/news/42

lol Can someone find and post that EVA "It keeps happening" pic ?

Quite frankly I feel like this has been an awful season so far, probably the worst in awhile, with Shirobako being the only notable thing.

How is this season particularly different from last season? Last season had Shirobako, Ronja, and Mushishi. This season has Shirobako, Ronja, Shounen Hollywood and Yatterman.

Quite frankly I feel like this has been an awful season so far, probably the worst in awhile, with Shirobako being the only notable thing.

Honestly, I feel the same way. Nothing this Winter has really stood out or anything to me.

I've been meaning to give Yatterman a shot, but I've decided to wait until it gets like, 3 or 4 more episodes before I start watching it.

Spring on the other hand, is looking to have some pretty interesting shows that I might just check out.

Jarmel

Banned

$330 for a boxset like that is cheap.

How is this season particularly different from last season? Last season had Shirobako, Ronja, and Mushishi. This season has Shirobako, Ronja, Shounen Hollywood and Yatterman.

Yatterman I'm being bearish on. That could very easily conk out or spiral. Last season had Mushishi, Yuki Yuna, and Genesis as well. The production levels were also much higher all around, even for weaker works such as FSN UBW and Your Lie in April.

My journey through Gundam continues, next with Mobile Suit Gundam 00.

Get ready for a decent first season that completely drops the ball in the second season.

Oh and then there's the movie. AND THEN THERE'S THE MOVIE. UGGGGGGGGHHHHHHH.

Make sure you watch the movie afterwards. Its one of the best gundam experiences and mecha experiences Ive seen.

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO.

Jarmel

Banned
So can any show that hasn't finished airing yet.

That's why I'm being bearish with it. Well that and also I don't think the direction is as sharp as it could be. Gurren Lagann was rough in its early spots too so I really don't know how it could play out.

Genesis despite becoming somewhat bland near the end, never shat the bed. It definitely disappointed but it's not something to just deride as garbage.

Worthless.

Fantastic fight choreography or beautiful backgrounds are just garbage because the story or direction isn't up to par? Those elements don't inherently become worse because they're in a bad show. Eureka Seven AO had fairly good to great mecha combat despite it still pissing me off to this day.

Brainwashed by Aniplex!

I've been importing long before Aniplex got into the US market. This is nothing, especially with the exchange rate being how it is now.

javac

It sure is. I was expecting $600 (70k) or thereabouts, which is in line with the Lagann set which retailed for 64k. The Standard Japanese Bebop set is around 27k, while the Limited Edition Bebop Set is around 37k. The Japanese Baccano set retailed for around 27k too. Durarara Japanese Blu-ray set retailed for 37k. The Standard Giant Robo set is retailing for 23k while the Giant Robo set they originally released retailed for 40k, which is the same as the price for the Eva set. GITS:SAC 1st Gig also released at 43k. Lain released at 27k. It's pretty much in line with other releases, and considering it's Eva and comes with EoE, I'm happy enough with the price. Stockholm syndrome perhaps?

Spring on the other hand, is looking to have some pretty interesting shows that I might just check out.

Most every season has what looks to be pretty interesting shows; whether they actually pan out when they end up airing is another matter.

That's why I'm being bearish with it. Well that and also I don't think the direction is as sharp as it could be. Gurren Lagann was rough in its early spots too so I really don't know how it could play out.

Personal opinion alert: Fortunately Yatterman hasn't been as boring as TTGL so far.

Genesis despite becoming somewhat bland near the end, never shat the bed. It definitely disappointed but it's not something to just deride as garbage.

The first couple episodes weren't garbage, but then...

Fantastic fight choreography or beautiful backgrounds are just garbage because the story or direction isn't up to par? Those elements don't inherently become worse because they're in a bad show. Eureka Seven AO had fairly good to great mecha combat despite it still pissing me off to this day.

Unless you watch all your anime on sakugabooru, good visuals going into a subpar show are a total waste.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
It sure is. I was expecting $600 (70k) or thereabouts, which is in line with the Lagann set which retailed for 64k. The Standard Japanese Bebop set is around 27k, while the Limited Edition Bebop Set is around 37k. The Japanese Baccano set retailed for around 27k too. Durarara Japanese Blu-ray set retailed for 37k. The Standard Giant Robo set is retailing for 23k while the Giant Robo set they originally released retailed for 40k, which is the same as the price for the Eva set. GITS:SAC 1st Gig also released at 43k. Lain released at 27k. It's pretty much in line with other releases, and considering it's Eva and comes with EoE, I'm happy enough with the price. Stockholm syndrome perhaps?

That's what I'm thinking. lol

I will say, the lack of extras on US releases has cut my desire to buy shows by a large margin, since even Sentai doesn't give a fuck anymore, and most of the prestige series will either not get a release (Hyouka) or too expensive (Ping Pong, Yamato 2199) for me to consider them.

The only show I'm still waiting for is the Aria BD "upscale", but it's been like 2 years since they announced it and there hasn't been any news since.

Can't say I was impressed with F/S UWB's visuals either. The SFX during combat were quite good (though I wouldn't say the same for the actual choreography). Other than that, there were so many issues like terrible profile shots and cheeky mouths, lighting or just overall composition that, if anything, the visuals were hurting my immersion constantly.

Clov

That's what I'm thinking. lol

I will say, the lack of extras on US releases has cut my desire to buy shows by a large margin, since even Sentai doesn't give a fuck anymore, and most of the prestige series will either not get a release (Hyouka) or too expensive (Ping Pong, Yamato 2199) for me to consider them.

The only show I'm still waiting for is the Aria BD "upscale", but it's been like 2 years since they announced it and there hasn't been any news since.

Ping-Pong's North American BD will be by Funimation, so I can't imagine it being expensive at all.

I'm also still waiting on the Aria BDs. Hopefully they're still happening. If they are, hopefully they use the same upscaling process used for Toradora and Nanoha.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
Ping-Pong's North American BD will be by Funimation, so I can't imagine it being expensive at all.

I'm also still waiting on the Aria BDs. Hopefully they're still happening. If they are, hopefully they use the same upscaling process used for Toradora and Nanoha.
Did Funimation confirm it? Or are they "doing it" the same way they are "doing" Tatami Galaxy? lol

I'm also curious if they'll just do Aria The Animation or the whole thing. I'm hoping the delay is because they're doing the whole series. I hate that I'm saying this, but I'd probably pay a grand for that.

Clov

Did Funimation confirm it? Or are they "doing it" the same way they are "doing" Tatami Galaxy? lol

I'm also curious if they'll just do Aria The Animation or the whole thing. I'm hoping the delay is because they're doing the whole series. I hate that I'm saying this, but I'd probably pay a grand for that.

It's confirmed as in it's happening this summer. They're even giving it an English dub, because they've lost their minds.

It would be nice if the whole series came out as one big box set. It would explain why they're taking so long. Hopefully we'll get some answers soon!

firehawk12

Subete no aware
It's confirmed as in it's happening this summer. They're even giving it an English dub, because they've lost their minds.

It would be nice if the whole series came out as one big box set. It would explain why they're taking so long. Hopefully we'll get some answers soon!
Welp, that might be my first anime purchase in a couple of years. lol

I think it'd be extra nice if, like with Toradora, they just made a new episode as well. Dreams!

duckroll

Yoru no Yatterman - Episode 1-4

That was pretty fun. I've missed the look of the animation from the young Tatsunoko animators since Yozakura ended, and I'm glad it's back in full force here. Ryu Nakayama is doing a great job and it's nice to see him promoted to a main animator for a series. There's a very strange balance of humorous anti-heroism and bleak oppressive dystopia here. It's pretty effective, but sometimes it just feels so wrong, which I'm sure is the point.

As subversive as the story seems on the surface here though, I don't really buy that it's a future where Yatterman's legacy has "gone bad" and is oppressing all the people instead. One of the key themes relating to the villains in the original franchise is that they're scammers and thieves. So considering how the first episode started, I wouldn't be surprised if this entire future is a huge scam where the bad guys actually "stole" the world and made everyone think that Yatterman won. We'll see. :)

I like how Tatsunoko is willing to take risks with their classic franchises and put out stuff like Gatchaman Crowds and Yoru no Yatterman, but I have to wonder how the more devoted fans feel about it. Wouldn't it make better business sense to have something more familiar and safe created alongside riskier stuff like this?

Jarmel

Banned
Has there been any interview by any of the Yatterman staff(like director or scriptwriter)? I'm curious if they've mentioned at all the direction they're planning on going with the work.

/XX/

Huh? Having finished Girls und Panzer recently I feel pretty confident in saying the entities that waltz around calling themselves characters in that show were barely anything of the sort. In its 12 episode run time, the show completely failed to make me care about any of them. They were more identifiable by their quirk or trope (REALLY into volleyball, triplets, etc.) than anything else. I mean I get you're not a fan of Shirobako and that's ok but no need to straight up lie :p
I only really consider the five main girls of GooP to the primary characters of the show, and you basically know why each one of them act the way they do and what they have joined the tank club for. I don't disagree that they are simple, stock characters. But they're better than the job titles that the five girls (or whomever you would consider the main characters) in Shirobako.
For a colourful, big cast I don't think it is bad to devise most of them as clear-cut 'clichés' when it can definitely work for the sake of the events flow in good paced fun. For GuP girls, many instances of activities from their daily lives as underdog club members pass by, on where we could definitely know what to expect from any of them as characters but in which the timing of delivery and sum of the parts (see stereotypes) that represent each one of them in a friendly cohesion while in strange diversity made the moments all the more endearing.

We re-visited topical things present on 'sports genre' series too, but seen through the prism of silliness that such a contrast of a setting between violence and delicacy made, to the point that it played in their favour... in the same effective way the very defined and static personalities helped to create an accentuated contrast too on how the cast interacts for any given circumstance they are thrown at as part of the game. Is that simultaneous hot-pot of cute, silly, fairly referential and clever dialogue along the passion of achieving little-by-little a common goal what in my opinion brings a much more accomplished end result than whatever any sidestepped analysis of their individualities could infer.

Mobile Suit Gundam 00 01-03

Wait, wait, wait. A cast of characters in a gundam show I'm actually liking? Someone pinch me I must be dreaming. Instantly fell in love with Graham Aker and his rapt curiosity about the gundams, his confidence, and his willingness to be the first one to actually test them out and see what they're about. In fact I have a curiosity to find out more about the entire cast save for the MC Setsuna if only because I've seen that character type before and I just know he isn't going to get very interesting at all, but I would love to be surprised.

Gotta say I was and I'm still a little suspect about Celestial Beings' goals and true purpose and I can only see their path leading to a larger conflict that they don't intend to happen, but we'll see. In regards to the gundams themselves, I love'em thus far. Exia is actually a pretty damn cool gundam design for the MC's gundam which I tend to dislike in most gundam shows. I give even more props to Fat Gundam aka Virtue reminds me of Heavyarms gundam in a way.

Anywho its been a good start so far. Onto more!

Well looking at Fudeyasu's track record, nothing is striking me as a huge red flag. I'm mainly wondering though whether the show will devolve into episodic hijinks or try to build towards something. The episode count being 13 or 26 also will have a big impact on what the show can do narratively.

It's 12 episodes.

Yoru no Yatterman - Episode 1-4

I like how Tatsunoko is willing to take risks with their classic franchises and put out stuff like Gatchaman Crowds and Yoru no Yatterman, but I have to wonder how the more devoted fans feel about it. Wouldn't it make better business sense to have something more familiar and safe created alongside riskier stuff like this?

Well, they did that with Gatchaman at least with that live-action movie. And Yoru no Yatterman seems to be better appreciated by franchise fans than Gatchaman Crowds was at least.

Mobile Suit Gundam 00 01-03

Wait, wait, wait. A cast of characters in a gundam show I'm actually liking? Someone pinch me I must be dreaming. Instantly fell in love with Graham Aker and his rapt curiosity about the gundams, his confidence, and his willingness to be the first one to actually test them out and see what they're about. In fact I have a curiosity to find out more about the entire cast save for the MC Setsuna if only because I've seen that character type before and I just know he isn't going to get very interesting at all, but I would love to be surprised.

Gotta say I was and I'm still a little suspect about Celestial Beings' goals and true purpose and I can only see their path leading to a larger conflict that they don't intend to happen, but we'll see. In regards to the gundams themselves, I love'em thus far. Exia is actually a pretty damn cool gundam design for the MC's gundam which I tend to dislike in most gundam shows. I give even more props to Fat Gundam aka Virtue reminds me of Heavyarms gundam in a way.

Anywho its been a good start so far. Onto more!

Wheres the love for Saji Crossroad or Ribbons Almark :(

duckroll

Well, they did that with Gatchaman at least with that live-action movie. And Yoru no Yatterman seems to be better appreciated by franchise fans than Gatchaman Crowds was at least.

I guess they did have a Yatterman live-action movie along with the remake anime a few years back too right? Maybe that helped. Gatchaman Crowds definitely made a lot of Gatchaman fans really salty, but I think it was understandable too. Either way, it's really cool that Tatsunoko doesn't always take the obvious route while using their legacy IPs.

Envelope

sealed with a kiss
Shirobako 16

As a left-handed person Gothloli-sama is the best

left-handed people need more representation in media in general :((((

Sailor Moon R 31

Plenty of heartbreak in this episode.

But in the end dreams gets shared, the enemy who throws Olympic rings gets defeated and Usagi and Mamoru gets back together. Oh, and Naru and Umino is also a couple now.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
For a colourful, big cast I don't think it is bad to devise most of them as clear-cut 'clichés' when it can definitely work for the sake of the events flow in good paced fun. For GuP girls, many instances of activities from their daily lives as underdog club members pass by, on where we could definitely know what to expect from any of them as characters but in which the timing of delivery and sum of the parts (see stereotypes) that represent each one of them in a friendly cohesion while in strange diversity made the moments all the more endearing.

We re-visited topical things present on 'sports genre' series too, but seen through the prism of silliness that such a contrast of a setting between violence and delicacy made, to the point that it played in their favour... in the same effective way the very defined and static personalities helped to create an accentuated contrast too on how the cast interacts for any given circumstance they are thrown at as part of the game. Is that simultaneous hot-pot of cute, silly, fairly referential and clever dialogue along the passion of achieving little-by-little a common goal what in my opinion brings a much more accomplished end result than whatever any sidestepped analysis of their individualities could infer.
I think my thing is that the GooP main girls have something going on beyond their jobs. Three of them are dealing with family issues, one is the average girl, and one is the nerd stand-in. I think that's a pretty decent spread, considering. lol

Looking forward to the JJ reboot of said franchises!

Syrinx

My Kino's Journey Rightstuf order is still backordered. It's been over a month.

I guess I'm glad a lot of people bought the series but still, come on.

/XX/

Your description of old & young Tatsunoko Productions made me remember vividly the DEVANDER OVA, and what it could have been without relying so much in 3DCGI for the climaxes. :-(

But the real question that came to mind is... did anyone ever identify who where the 3 supposedly uncredited super animators that participated on it? One was rumoured to be Mr. Imaishi, right?

I think my thing is that the GooP main girls have something going on beyond their jobs. Three of them are dealing with family issues, one is the average girl, and one is the nerd stand-in. I think that's a pretty decent spread, considering. lol
Yeah, that's good variety too! :-D

Jex

I'd go back through the list and do the AnimeGAF vs non-AnimeGAF vote tallies because everyone is always curious, but I just realized that I don't even visit the thread enough anymore to recognize some of the current regulars. Anybody picking up the torch?

I visit the thread every day and I still don't recognise the regulars!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom