• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Winter Anime 2015 |OT| ZA WARUDO is not square!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sailor Moon R 32

2k9adti.jpg

The episode where Minako ruins everything.

She does manage to get Esmeraude to reveal the evil plans by pretending to know about it though :p Funniest episode in a while.

Gundam Seed spoiled Gundam for me. I don't really care to watch a show about robots that doesn't have a protagonist that cries like a duck

So I take it you haven't seen G Gundam then? A.K.A the best Gundam show in existence with the manliest Gundam protagonist because of that reason?

If so, you're missing out man.

Recently, My Sister is Unusual 10

When touching hands goes to far.

So Hiyori and Mitsuki has a fght and then Hiyori runs away. Then Mitsuki actually misses her? Shouldn't she rather be glad that she's gone...

And there's a new chastity belt. Not sure if it's censored or just supposed to look like it does...

javac

The brain is a microcosm creating its own stories. People then live out these stories.
Boogiepop Phantom is a fascinating show. One packed with horror, conspiracies and the supernatural. At its core however is a very human story, a story filled with characters that are tangible, strangely relatable and most importantly genuine.

This is a show that revolves around an urban legend, one in which school kids go missing and are brutally murdered by an unknown force, Boogiepop. Each episode centers on a different set of characters that all occupy the same world and each of these episodes focuses on a different event that somehow revolves around the opening moments that take place within the first 5 minutes of the very first episode. In taking this approach the director shows his confidence in his storytelling as everything entwines to create a truly compelling show. This is a show that is truly riveting in its storytelling as it keeps its lips sealed. You are thrown into the deep end, but if you stick with it, if you are truly interested in finding out more about the Boogiepop Phantom, you will be rewarded with an amazing audio/visual experience. Boogiepop Never Laughs.

The past will often attack the present with the pain of your memories.
Audio is king in Boogiepop Phantom. Sound is used in order to construct an atmosphere that can only be described as unsettling and unnerving but full of life. The show in its presentation can be intimidating as pin drop silent scenes turn into ear deafening distortions at a click of a finger. It’s not only exhilarating but exciting. From drum & bass to electro-boogie to Wagner’s Die Meistersinger von Nürnberg. The soundtrack in this show is a feast for the ears. This approach was utilized in Lain and it works phenomenally here. All of this accumulates together to create an intimate experience, one in which you have to use not just your eyes, but also your ears in order to survive. The story is told through its sound. You can’t run from Boogiepop.

A VHS washed-out visage covers the screen as the show makes use of a muted palette of colors. The show looks sublime and for something that came out in the year 2000, it looks fresh and exciting, which is a funny juxtaposition to the on paper, in theory dull palette. Characters look distinct even though the show doesn’t make use of designs that are exaggerated. ブギーポップは笑わない

Time does not exist. Only the illusion of memories exist.
The show should not be seen as just a bona fide horror romp. This show evokes every emotion imaginable. My heart sank, I shed tears, I smirked, I was happy and I was sad. Disgust, anger and confusion, words that accurately describe the full gamut of emotions that I felt during the shows welcomed 12 episode run. I felt emotions that I didn’t expect to feel watching Boogiepop Phantom. But it’s not just the variety but the ferocity displayed in how the show hits you with these emotions. One moment in particular had me with tears and a smile on my face during the majority of the episode only for it to vanish entirely in a matter of seconds as I sat gazing at the screen in shock. Expect to be shocked, Boogiepop works in mysterious ways.

Pure perfection has no past. That is how you live perfectly.
In the end this is a show that surprised me in ways in which I hadn’t contemplated prior to my viewing. It was without doubt an experience that I will never forget. Boogiepop is a show that looks and like no other, and one that plays like no other. Expect to smile, to cry, to scratch your head in confusion, to understand everything completely and to understand nothing during its 12 episode run. But most importantly, expect Boogiepop Phantom.

"How can you say you are a phantom?"
10/10

Jex

Cross Ange-17

Not surprised, Salia always was a kiss ass in need of self confirmation.

Also how did Ange not wipe the deck with them? Those jokers were barely competent before.
It was kind of Comic-book level bad, where characters fluctuate in strength just because.

Recently, My Sister is Unusual 11

So, it's a hot springs episode.

And there's mixed baths, girls with blushing knees, shoulders and everything else and people seeing eachother naked when they don't want to.

Jex

Detective Opera Milky Holmes 1

BECAUSE IT ONLY AIRS FOR 3 MONTHS HYUCK HYUCK HYUCK

There are things that I can totally question right now, but I just feel like asking them will be a pointless endeavor. For the time being, it'll be slow trucking through the only 2 seasons that exists of Milky Holmes

Glad that you're aware of what's going on!

Yuri Kuma 05

2o5bqym.jpg

The face of victory.

Well now this was an interesting episode. We get to see inside Ginko's head and well, its a whole lot more perverse and fantasy filled than I was expecting that's for sure.
Seriously fucked up that those girls were only pretending to be Kureha's to inflict and even more damaging blow against her later. Course the biggest reveals came at the end with the girls revealing they knew Ginko and Lulu were bears the whole time and caught Ginko in a bear trap. Also the trial was much different too with Cool Bear getting the one up on Beauty Bear and Ginko revealing she committed some kind of crime in the past.

Midonin

Absolute Duo 05

So that's what Disney World would look like if Ranko Kanzaki designed it... though from what I know about Ranko, it's more like if the animals from Kampfer designed it. Lilith is cute, but Julie is still cuter still. A lot of the fun of this comes from how it's using the school environment. While the students go along with it, pretty much everyone knows that Tsukimi is out of her mind.

Exit, Pursued by a Lesbian Bear 05

I'm starting to somewhat understand the significance of the lines that are repeated at the start of each episode, and knowing that the girls behind the Invisible Storm are
only pretending to be Kureha's friend
is a low blow. It feels like the story is going in a "humans are the real monsters" kinda direction.

Kamisama ◎ 04

Nanami, don't just follow every boy you come across to the underworld. It's good that she formulated a plan to get out on her own, and it nearly worked too, but humans meddling in the affairs of gods can lead to complications.

Code-E 04-06

The love triangle was resolved much quicker than I thought. Sonomi's still a little rough around the edges, but there's a good person beneath all that bluster. As for the Germans, so far they're less menacing than I was expecting. Closer to Team Rocket than any sort of real threat to Chinami's daily existence. And Yuma providing a fellow companion who's also a Type-E user expands the world in a way that I've been waiting for. It's bright, colorful, and even with Chinami's worries about the world, ultimately about friendship. Even Kyotaro's come around on realizing that seeing Chinami as nothing more than a test subject may not be the best way to help her overcome her problems.

phaze

The brain is a microcosm creating its own stories. People then live out these stories.
Boogiepop Phantom is a fascinating show. One packed with horror, conspiracies and the supernatural. At its core however is a very human story, a story filled with characters that are tangible, strangely relatable and most importantly genuine.

This is a show that revolves around an urban legend, one in which school kids go missing and are brutally murdered by an unknown force, Boogiepop. Each episode centers on a different set of characters that all occupy the same world and each of these episodes focuses on a different event that somehow revolves around the opening moments that take place within the first 5 minutes of the very first episode. In taking this approach the director shows his confidence in his storytelling as everything entwines to create a truly compelling show. This is a show that is truly riveting in its storytelling as it keeps its lips sealed. You are thrown into the deep end, but if you stick with it, if you are truly interested in finding out more about the Boogiepop Phantom, you will be rewarded with an amazing audio/visual experience. Boogiepop Never Laughs.

The past will often attack the present with the pain of your memories.
Audio is king in Boogiepop Phantom. Sound is used in order to construct an atmosphere that can only be described as unsettling and unnerving but full of life. The show in its presentation can be intimidating as pin drop silent scenes turn into ear deafening distortions at a click of a finger. It’s not only exhilarating but exciting. From drum & bass to electro-boogie to Wagner’s Die Meistersinger von Nürnberg. The soundtrack in this show is a feast for the ears. This approach was utilized in Lain and it works phenomenally here. All of this accumulates together to create an intimate experience, one in which you have to use not just your eyes, but also your ears in order to survive. The story is told through its sound. You can’t run from Boogiepop.

A VHS washed-out visage covers the screen as the show makes use of a muted palette of colors. The show looks sublime and for something that came out in the year 2000, it looks fresh and exciting, which is a funny juxtaposition to the on paper, in theory dull palette. Characters look distinct even though the show doesn’t make use of designs that are exaggerated. ブギーポップは笑わない

Time does not exist. Only the illusion of memories exist.
The show should not be seen as just a bona fide horror romp. This show evokes every emotion imaginable. My heart sank, I shed tears, I smirked, I was happy and I was sad. Disgust, anger and confusion, words that accurately describe the full gamut of emotions that I felt during the shows welcomed 12 episode run. I felt emotions that I didn’t expect to feel watching Boogiepop Phantom. But it’s not just the variety but the ferocity displayed in how the show hits you with these emotions. One moment in particular had me with tears and a smile on my face during the majority of the episode only for it to vanish entirely in a matter of seconds as I sat gazing at the screen in shock. Expect to be shocked, Boogiepop works in mysterious ways.

Pure perfection has no past. That is how you live perfectly.
In the end this is a show that surprised me in ways in which I hadn’t contemplated prior to my viewing. It was without doubt an experience that I will never forget. Boogiepop is a show that looks and like no other, and one that plays like no other. Expect to smile, to cry, to scratch your head in confusion, to understand everything completely and to understand nothing during its 12 episode run. But most importantly, expect Boogiepop Phantom.

"How can you say you are a phantom?"
10/10

Woah that's quite a gushing review. Cranking up my expectations. But is it better than Texhnolyze ? :p

DRRR x2 04

Another fun episode but seriously, even the opening is not going to cut it anymore. I need a full blown chart for each character/faction and their actions and motivations or I'm not going to be able to keep track of them all. Plotwise, Saika going haywire and the evil idol company boss are the two things that interest me the most.

I can't quite tell what they've changed but Izaya's character model just looks wrong

Jarmel

Banned
It was kind of Comic-book level bad, where characters fluctuate in strength just because.

Well I guess there was an off-screen training arc and the girls are now powered by Embryo-sama's love.

I suppose this is what Ange gets for slacking. She lost her edge.

Recently, My Sister is Unusual 12

Thank God for that. Well, hopefully a God that doesn't demand incest to get into heaven.

Well... The music wasn't too bad and the OP and ED was decent. The Metal Gear Solid joke was funny and Moa looks a bit like one of the Wake Up Girls.

Other than that:
jpwK9sp.jpg

It could have been worse of course... But not by much, so 1/5 heartlocks:
5nuWqun.png
blqtTr0.png
blqtTr0.png
blqtTr0.png
blqtTr0.png

ibyea

Banned

Thank God for that. Well, hopefully a God that doesn't demand incest to get into heaven.

Well... The music wasn't too bad and the OP and ED was decent. The Metal Gear Solid joke was funny and Moa looks a bit like one of the Wake Up Girls.

Other than that:
jpwK9sp.jpg

5nuWqun.png
blqtTr0.png
blqtTr0.png
blqtTr0.png
blqtTr0.png

D:

World Break 4
This show is funny in the stupidest ways. He just breaks into the window, the girl cries and comes to him, then he sticks his tongue out like a little kid and jumps into the car driven by the loli.

phaze

Yoru no Yatterman 04
Maybe the best episode since the premiere, most of the jokes worked and the tragedy of the married couple showcased well the grim realities of the Yatterman Kingdom and the unrelenting indoctrination its citizens are subjected to. This show feels like one writing slip away from getting hacked by North Koreans. Good action as well, very glad to see the Dog mech making a return. I find it funny that despite being the protagonists this time, Doronbo still are getting their asses handed to them in every episode.

Sölf

Other than that:
jpwK9sp.jpg

5nuWqun.png
blqtTr0.png
blqtTr0.png
blqtTr0.png
blqtTr0.png

It gets better if you do it like our we did:
- Play Batman music the same time as an episode.
- Play Episodes backwards and try to figure out the fuck happend.

But yeah, the series was bad in the beginning, but somehwat funny because it was just so damn stupid. Later on it only became boring. So, why exactly did you watch all of it? xD

That disappointing.

I don't see how it's disappointing. What matters isn't how long a show is but whether that length, whatever it be, is used effectively. There are plenty of two-cour shows that peter out by the midway point and never really regain their footing (relevant example: Casshern Sins), so it's not as if "the longer, the better" is an adage to live by.

Jarmel

Banned
I don't see how it's disappointing. What matters isn't how long a show is but whether that length, whatever it be, is used effectively. There are plenty of two-cour shows that peter out by the midway point and never really regain their footing (relevant example: Casshern Sins), so it's not as if "the longer, the better" is an adage to live by.

Well it's more that I was hoping it was going to be a longer form adventure. Obviously effective use of time is necessary for any good show whether they're 6 episodes or 50. However longer shows have more time to flesh out the characters and world.

Garo is 26 episodes but considering how it's packed full of these crappy episodic stories, I wouldn't mind if it was 13. It's just that we don't get long adventure epics nowadays.

I suppose part of this is due to production committees being more cautious.

So I take it you haven't seen G Gundam then? A.K.A the best Gundam show in existence with the manliest Gundam protagonist because of that reason?

If so, you're missing out man.

I still need to. Corvo sold me on it when he showed me the windmill gundam. I fell in love at that moment. Unfortunately the closer I get to my starting date to work the less free time I have for animu when there's all this GAF to be done.

Does Hunter x Hunter have a lot of introduction episodes a la Gintama before it kicks into high gear? I'm thinking of starting it, but since there's so many episodes (148?) I'd like to have some sort of 'episode goal' in case I feel there's a slow start.
I've heard a lot of good stuff about it, and I'm not sure it's similar but I loved FMA:B.

Does Hunter x Hunter have a lot of introduction episodes a la Gintama before it kicks into high gear? I'm thinking of starting it, but since there's so many episodes (148?) I'd like to have some sort of 'episode goal' in case I feel there's a slow start.
I've heard a lot of good stuff about it, and I'm not sure it's similar but I loved FMA:B.

It doesn't really kick into high gear until the Yorknew City arc starts, which isn't until like, 39 episodes in.

However everything before that is still fairly decent on its own, in fact what's shown during the slower episodes in the beginning actually serves to make the later episodes stronger. It's definitely worth it.

cajunator

Banned

a true master of his craft. He even LOOKS unhinged. GOAT.

Koufuku Graffiti - 04

Another soothing episode. I loved all the trips down memory lane and how everyone reacted to Ryou being grown up. The convenience store guy was funny, and his appearance in the little credits animation with Ryou was adorable. The teru teru bozu costume was funny too.

This show is just so peaceful and makes me feel all warm and fuzzy inside.

It makes me feel like how I feel when I eat amazing food. Shaft is so meta.

Go! Princess Precure - 01

So here I am back to watching Precure after I skipped HappinessCharge because holy shit fuck that one. Anyway besides Haruka's awful pineapple hairstyle I find her to be okay personality wise even if her dream is stupid to me. Fight scene was actually pretty good for a first episode fight scene so that's something positive there. Not sure I liked the CG during the transformation scene though.

This is...not a great start. At least not visually.

Recently, My Sister is Unusual 06

Yuuya thinks Mitsuki is a lesbian and he can see Hiyori. Oh, and Metal Gear Solid.

I honestly feel bad for you having to watch this. Your suffering will be brief at least.

Just imagine the day when one show combines both the "harem" concept and the "little sister" concept together. An harem of little sisters!

They have and its called Black Bullet.

I know people already pointed out that this has obviously already been done, but no one even pointed out the two most egrerious examples!

Im not sure if this one really counts since some of the girls are pretty grown up, but :

See, if we were forward thinking we'd start putting together a list of 2015 shows from this season now so come the end of the year we'd have a complete list of eligible titles.

Lol. forward thinking.
Who has time for that?

Sounds like work and as we all know, AnimeGAF hates work. Just a shame haly drew the short straw this year and had to count votes, ~chu.

Well I like work, just depends on the sort of work. My job is fun work.

Well it's more that I was hoping it was going to be a longer form adventure. Obviously effective use of time is necessary for any good show whether they're 6 episodes or 50. However longer shows have more time to flesh out the characters and world.

Theoretically, yes, but that doesn't mean longer shows will avail themselves of the opportunity to do so.

Don't watch the 2011 version of Hunter X Hunter, watch the superior 1999 version. It's shorter too, and leaves off what everyone agrees is the slowest part of the manga (the Chimera Ant arc).

BGBW

Maturity, bitches.
You know what I haven't seen in a long time? A good old The Laws of Eternity watch. That should be the next bet.

The show is only a decent shonen up until the first proper arc after the license/intro arc. And that one lasted a while. Imagine if the Naruto Ninja for Babbies tournament lasted for a lot of episodes.

phaze

Watch eps 35-60, 126, 131 and thank me later. /s

But yes it took me like 30 eps to warm up to it so bear in mind that the beginning might be rough.

Though I've seen a lot of people who like the first arc.

Reknoc

It starts fine, the hunter exam arc is good, has a bit of a slump with the battle tower but really kicks off after that and stays pretty consistently good.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom