• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Winter Anime 2015 |OT| ZA WARUDO is not square!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Are you admitting to having watched Naruto?
When you're a young teen and watching anime with friends, it was Fullmetal Alchemist and Naruto. Not many options lol

But chunin exam was like, twice as long as hunter exam. :p

Wait shit really? My memory is apparently utter shit.

edit: Jesus that's a lot of episodes. But best one listed in Wikipedia from the arc is called "The Ultimate Battle: Cha!"

Starring Dale Gribble

Trojita

Rapid Response Threadmaker
The show is only a decent shonen up until the first proper arc after the license/intro arc. And that one lasted a while. Imagine if the Naruto Ninja for Babbies tournament lasted for a lot of episodes.

People were dying during the Chuunin exam.

The beginning of Hunter x Hunter 2011 is shit. They skip an essential character that influences the main character at the beginning and have kid friendly early episodes that are garbage (the episode on the boat).

Recently, My Sister is Unusual 12

Thank God for that. Well, hopefully a God that doesn't demand incest to get into heaven.

Well... The music wasn't too bad and the OP and ED was decent. The Metal Gear Solid joke was funny and Moa looks a bit like one of the Wake Up Girls.

Other than that:
jpwK9sp.jpg

It could have been worse of course... But not by much, so 1/5 heartlocks:
5nuWqun.png
blqtTr0.png
blqtTr0.png
blqtTr0.png
blqtTr0.png

You're not done yet!

Rolling Girls 4

Hey that was pretty good. RIP Favaro. So I guess the reason Chi wants to collect the stones is to get her moms approval?

Not a fan of those watercolor backgrounds though. I mean I love watercolor backgrounds but 80% of the show were just blotches. Hard to make anything out.

This new ED is nice too.

pariah164

After watching Go! Princess Precure ep 1, I'm in. I hated Happiness Charge like burning, so to see this in its place makes me feel joy. I, for one, welcome mahou shoujo versions of Peach, Daisy, and Rosalina.

Thanks all for the responses. I'll probably start combo watching Hunter x Hunter with some smaller shows like Girls und Panzer / Non Non Biyori after I finish up Nagi no Asukara. Might make the beginning easier to get through unless I drop it, slow and steady wins the race.

Upotte Series Impressions

1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | WTF | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | OVA

Upotte!! is a Japanese animation from the studio Xebec. The premise is that guns have become a living, breathing being in the form of kawaii~ Japanese school girls. Each girl can magically conjure the weapon they are based from at will. The different mechanical traits of each gun has a physical affect on each girl such as their physical well being or their appearance. Pretty ridiculous right?

That said, this anime could be used as an educational tool for those interested in the history and mechanics of each weapon. I learned more about a M16 assault rifle in this anime than I have in any other form of media. I also learned the British are prideful boobs who use malfunctioning equipment out of some form of embarrassing patriotism.

This anime could be considered episodic with each episode going into detail about each gun's backstory (history in wars, evolution of weapon, etc). There is plenty of action for the gun fans and a slice of life format for the more laid back episodes. There is also a fox girl, an elf girl
ahh
, cat girls and dog girls. And guns don't kill people even after shooting them but that's beside the point. The OVA is a fantastic conclusion to the ending of the series which was left somewhat open when the animal girls destroyed a city for ??? reasons. But the plot is not important.

To answer this question
Was it interesting?

I'd have to say yes. Upotte is a fantastic educational anime that should be shown to every prospective gun owner. It is a great way to learn the history of your favorite gun and learn the best practices to maintain its body and functionality.

Upotte Series Impressions

Seems like the perfect series for that demographic. The amount of dudes in Japan who have their rooms/apartments covered in moe schoolgirl wallscrolls and figures in unintended clotheless situations, who have closets full of airsoft guns is weirdly common... according to my nico/youtube history anyway haha.

I'm sure the gun otaku love it.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
Seems like the perfect series for that demographic. The amount of dudes in Japan who have their rooms/apartments covered in moe schoolgirl wallscrolls and figures in unintended clotheless situations, who have closets full of airsoft guns is weirdly common... according to my nico/youtube history anyway haha.

I'm sure the gun otaku love it.
It brought the anime and gun nerds on 4chan together to create /ak.

jgminto

Yowamushi Pedal Grande Road 16

That old school shounen power up! I don't think the anime was able to capture Imaizumi's crazy eyes as well as the manga. I hope they don't mess up another character's crazy eyes in a later sequence.

Does Hunter x Hunter have a lot of introduction episodes a la Gintama before it kicks into high gear? I'm thinking of starting it, but since there's so many episodes (148?) I'd like to have some sort of 'episode goal' in case I feel there's a slow start.
I've heard a lot of good stuff about it, and I'm not sure it's similar but I loved FMA:B.

The beginning is fine. It's not super fast, but it's relaxing, at least for a few episodes. Something seems "off" about it though as the exam progresses and things get darker. it's interesting even if it isn't super fast-paced.

It kicks into high-gear around the 40s and doesn't slow down until the pacing takes a hit much later, but even that is worth watching.

Theonik

I also learned the British are prideful boobs who use malfunctioning equipment out of some form of embarrassing patriotism.
You have no idea.

And guns don't kill people even after shooting them but that's beside the point. The OVA is a fantastic conclusion to the ending of the series which was left somewhat open when the animal girls destroyed a city for ??? reasons. But the plot is not important.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RvnSyEUIm_E

Yuri Kuma Arashi 05

Wow, Ginko is really thirsty. Or hungry in this case. Gao Gao.
I'm glad the tomboy girl didn't die or wasn't a bear because they made her design specifically for me

This was a lewd episode. Even for a show called Lesbian Bear Storm. I don't really know why episode 2 was such a rush when this and the last one were paced fine.

--------------------

Does Hunter x Hunter have a lot of introduction episodes a la Gintama before it kicks into high gear? I'm thinking of starting it, but since there's so many episodes (148?) I'd like to have some sort of 'episode goal' in case I feel there's a slow start.
I've heard a lot of good stuff about it, and I'm not sure it's similar but I loved FMA:B.

Not really. I would say to watch the first arc (4-5 or so episodes, until the start of the Hunter Exam at least I suppose) in the '99 version because the 2011 version kinda sucked at that. You could watch both to compare. Other then that 2011 all the way!
Also you must be warned you are picking up a series that will never be finished.

I know there are a few people here who watched RWBY so I thought I should bring it to your attention that Monty Oum passed away yesterday.

That's terrible. He was pretty young too.

Narag

But that show is good (IMO of course)

Past what Baselius said here:
It's an entertaining sports show/Saki clone with compelling combat scenarios. I don't think there is much hidden about what people like about it.

the settings are very similar too with the main sport being so fetishized that it has become inseparable from the culture around it. The viewer is presented with a goofy ass fantasy land where one can buy tank parts at the store down the street or where there's a contingent of the mafia based around plastic models fighting. Both shows believe in themselves when presenting this stuff and it's easy to buy into that sort of thing when it's presented with such confidence though. The conflict in both is handled with exceptional care too. Sure, the final match in each is a foregone conclusion as who didn't expect Reiji vs Meijin or Miho vs her sister? Throughout though, some of the competition created a level of doubt in the individual encounters.such that at some point, despite the (correct) expectation of the finale, one might second-guess his or herself, however briefly, and begin to wonder "What if...?" I don't think anything exemplified this more than the Renato Brothers vs Meijin Kawaguchi III as things began to feel so one-sided that one had to wonder just how Meijin could pull it off.

I'll also agree all day that the main cast in GBF was developed miles further than GuP's and that helped to make it a more complete product. Sei, Reiji, and Aila were great in this regard. However, the support cast complaint levied at GuP applies to GBF to a degree as well. The volleyball team always remains the volleyball team much like Fellini always remains the Italian Dandy or Mao remains a master builder of the Shingyo school. Sure you get a glimpse of motivation here or there but they're mostly static throughout as far as I remember (and if I'm incorrect here, apologies as I owe myself a rewatch.) GuP's actual best character moment in the series is unfortunately relegated to the fifth special where Erwin and Yukari spend some time together during the Russian battle. It's the sort of thing that should have been in the series proper given the intersecting interests and went a long way in demonstrating there was more to these teams than just their gimmick and their tank. I figure that's a function of both the short length of the series and the overly large cast though. I really haven't seen a lot of sports shows like these two but the criticisms levied against GuP for the uninteresting cast sort of mirror my own for GBF Try which has its own host of issues early on when it comes to the characters being stock archetypes and that's being generous in Yuuma's case. I suppose it's possible that's just how these sort of shows play out when there's a large team element at play as there just isn't enough time to give everyone a chance in the spotlight.

In the end, I just think they're the same base show albeit with a different coat of paint. You're not under any sort of obligation to like the color picked but it's disingenuous to claim to not to get why people like it when it's readily apparent why despite not appealing to your personal preferences ~chu

cajunator

Banned
Gokigenyou PreCure

qtIF1h8.gif

I think Toei is serious about making this Utena 4 Kidz.

that gif is pretty amazing. No clue of the context or even how you do that with your hands, but its mesmerizing.

Recently, My Sister is Unusual 09

So, Mitsuki and Yuuya manages to fall asleep under the same kotatsu, and then he grabs her boobs while dreaming about his mother...

And there's the standard thing with who gets to make food for Yuuka. Mitsuki manages to get splashed with dressing and then sees Yuuka naked... again.

Its so terrible. Make it stop!

Is Redline just violent or does it also have a lot of nudity in it as well?

Thinking about buying some Blu Rays. Also considering Paprika as well. I wanna watch these with my little bro.

Erm....you might want to watch Paprika yourself before letting a little brother watch it...

With the big difference that most American sex comedies don't really have another half that includes more interesting material to go along with it. At least not that I can recall.

I've long since accepted that virginity will be a running joke, even if it's also symbolic of the innocence/naive nature of the character, which ties into the other themes of the story.

Is it anywhere near as funny as B Gata H Kei?

Found it, thanks.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i8KNiC7Ke6Q

The merocure part was the part I needed. I didn't bother trying Shazam as I imagined the hitrate for foreign songs to be insanely low.

I think I remember this song. Ive got the whole UFO Princess valkyrie series on dvd from long ago.
It had a literal catgirl army in it. I could NOT pass that up.

So I finished a bunch of animes recently and want to give some short shoutouts to them.

Soredemo Machi wa Mawatteiru was pretty damn good. The characters were all really good and the hole thing was pretty funny. OP and ED are amazing. And I recently learned that it was made by SHAFT and damn, they're really becoming my favorite studio. That ending tho...

D-Frag was also pretty good. Pretty funny and good characters. The setting was interesting as well, but I felt it was a little too much. I can't really put my finger on it, but something don't quite make it as funny as I thought it would be.

Mononoke. Oh shit that was AMAZING. It felt like I was watching Oshino Meme's ancestor dealing with [strikeout]apparitions[/strikeout] mononoke in style. The symbolism and abstraction here is great, and all the stories were really interesting, especially the incense one.

Yuyushiki I didn't like as much. I like random comedies, but here it wasn't really that well done IMO. Instead of something like the principal fighting a deer on school grounds, it's just 2 girls saying random stuff on the fly. It wasn't really funny. The best parts IMO were some of the club scenes, and when the other group (Ai IIRC and her friends) was involved.

Kill me Baby, I didn't like this much as well. It was certainly better than Yuyushiki, tho. I honestly got tired of the schtick quickly. IIRC it was an adaptation of a 4-koma, and I don't think it was that good of an adaptation if it that is the case. Everything that happened was supper disconnected. I feel it would benefit from having stuff, original additions, to connect what was happening. Every skit was almost the same. Time card (あさ…), Yasuna did something stupid, trying to pick on Sonya, something happened (an accident or Yasuna says something) and Sonya attacks her. Rinse and repeat. Sometimes the ninja girl appeared. And while some of them were funny, they never stayed with me long.

Haibane Renmei was surprisingly good. The story was beautiful, the characters were all interesting, and, while there was some melodrama in the middle, the execution of everything was superb.

Binbougami Ga! was funny. I didn't like Sakura, the priest and Inugami, but the rest of the characters were really good. I loved the antics of Momiji. The little drama at the end was surprising, and well done imo.

Tasogare Otome X Amnesia is kinda of a mess. I did not expect a mix of comedy, romance, mystery, drama, horror and a little bit of ecchi (they really focus on Yuuko's breast). Mixing that much can be dangerous, and here I think it was good enough for the mix. Some parts could be dropped, but overall I thought it had a nice balance. At least I was entertained.

Love Lab is amazing why didn't I watch this before. Eno is the cutest thing ever. <3

Serial Experiments Lain is 2deep4me. I got the general plot, but there were a lot of details that flew right over my head (for example, what Chika had to do with anything). I appreciate the abstraction though. It's definitively something I'll go back to, and I hope I understand more when I do.

You seem to have pretty great taste. Im kind of disappointed with your take on KMB and YYS but Ill forgive that!

[Go! Princess Precure] - 01

I was not planing to watch this after the end of HapCha, but after I tried the first episode...I really liked the artstyle, both character art and background art are lovely, and that sakuga! WOW!

I'm in for the ride.

Ok the sakuga is impressive. but now episode two will be still life :)

Perhaps because I've read ahead in the manga, but I will just say that it falls into its expected roles as a series starring a blank protagonist who is the best pilot in the universe and also surrounded by a diverse cast of female characters.

I mean, I guess when the bar is set by Yamato 2199, nothing will even come close at this point. But I find that it falls back into its shouneney origins pretty quickly.

Come to think of it, I think it was dresden who said that the mangaka's daughter asked him why he was ripping off Attack on Titan. lol

I guess my problem with it being "honest" is that all it is now is a series of nerd references and trying to appeal to the nerds watching the show through their ability to identify with those references.

I fear for our society because at some point, the idea of comedy and art in our culture will be a person on youtube randomly shouting 4chan and Reddit memes. That seems to be the end game for all of this stuff. :p

Everyone is afraid to admit it, but Shaft is pretty much the best studio now.

Go deflate some balls. :(

Shaft is the fucking best studio Ive said it for years. Theres plenty of room on the bandwagon though!

I'd go back through the list and do the AnimeGAF vs non-AnimeGAF vote tallies because everyone is always curious, but I just realized that I don't even visit the thread enough anymore to recognize some of the current regulars. Anybody picking up the torch?

There's also probably a lot of lurkers here that posted in the AOTY thread. Never know who's a casual anime watcher and who just doesn't have much to say.

Tuck

kysousougiga - Final
So basically all that was all because the dad became a fucking lunatic somewhere along the line because reasons and started doing things just cause.

What a mess. Absolutely terrible. Started so good and just turned into this incomprehensible travesty.

So incredibly disappointed.

cajunator

Banned
How do I put this, Shaft has been very good at putting out Shaft products. They've streamlined their style to the point where many of their products are somewhat homogenous.

Shaft is the best at what it does :)

shaft stans really need to watch shinbos earlier stuff and/or read this at the very least

What is a "stan"? I keep hearing this shit everywhere now, usually derogatory.

I've only seen Bakemonogatari and the stuff that followed, and I'd probably say its the studio I trust most to put out anime that I'll enjoy. Probably the only thing I didnt enjoy has been Sasami and I guess Madoka.

Certainly its one of a few who I'll try almost anything of sight unseen. Of course if I'm honest its mostly all monogatari as it seems we get a new installment at least once a year. So in some respects its hard to see them as anything beyond the Monogatari studio. Obviously that's going to have to change as they run out of material.

Shaft consistently puts out interesting anime. Their record isnt 100% but usually they choose some story or idea that is quirky and just that bit different from the rest.
There are some shows that really could only be properly done by Shaft studio. I dont think any other studio would want to or have the stylistic ability to not make it a dull bore.

AnimeGAF, I'm so proud of you.

Thanks to the poll results, everyone will forever know that we collectively believed No Game No Life was a better anime than Silver Spoon.

Well it is.

Kill la Kill beat Jojo. Excellent.

agreed. After S1 Jojo just dulled. I dunno why but I didnt like it after that season.

Kikirin

Dog Days fans, if you're looking for something to fill a similar niche next season, I suggest Show By Rock!!

Same concept of animal people, only with bands instead of fantasy kingdoms.

Not really a fan of mofu, but I'm in for the band stuff
and Tsurezure Naru Ayatsuri Mugendan
. If the game music is anything to go by, will be looking forward to the anime.

Kansoku

You seem to have pretty great taste. Im kind of disappointed with your take on KMB and YYS but Ill forgive that!

My tastes are pretty weird to be honest. Both KMB and YYS in theory should be something that I would've liked more, but they didn't just won me over =/
And you probably don't want to know that I didn't like
Non Non Biyori
>.>

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom